PDA

View Full Version : Live 8 - Do your bit for charity

VtecMini
07-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Behold! The Live 8 pork scratching!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6190837114&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Do your bit, change the world, make life better, help Africa and shut Bob bloody Geldof up!

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORYTHROUGHPORK

lightweight
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
The world doesn't change with concerts. If you give to an unemployed person 20 dollars he will certainly appreciate it, but his problems will still exist. The solution for him is to get a proper life (job etc)
So the solution to the poverty in Africa is not a concert.
It's good though that some people are trying, but it seems to me that the artists get all the exposure and Africa gets a bread crumb

blackcat77
07-01-2005, 12:27 PM
White guys for Africa!

I remember what a huge deal the first Live Aid concert was and it's a shame to see it's legacy wrecked by stuff like this. I guess I'm just not the idealist I used to be. Besides the music from the Concert for Bangladesh and the Moscow Music Peace Festival was much better.

Matra et Alpine
07-01-2005, 12:43 PM
The world doesn't change with concerts. If you give to an unemployed person 20 dollars he will certainly appreciate it, but his problems will still exist. The solution for him is to get a proper life (job etc)
It's good though that some people are trying, but it seems to me that the artists get all the exposure and Africa gets a bread crumb
What ?

Do you think the idea of the concert is to make a little bit of meny to send to Africa ???

it's NOT :)

It's about getting PUBLICITY to get people to cahnge their attitudes about Africa.

For every $1 in aid sent to Africa, African nations face $2 in trade barriers :(

LiveAid and now Live8 are all about getting young people to pressurise politicians who's snout is too deep in the money trough to do the right thing.

ZemoButts
07-01-2005, 01:51 PM
they stop putting out concerts and try get the people in africa jobs, maybe they should bring slavery back....... now its time to flame me.

Egg Nog
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
they stop putting out concerts and try get the people in africa jobs, maybe they should bring slavery back....... now its time to flame me.

Or possibly just ban you. See you in a month.

lightweight
07-01-2005, 02:48 PM
LiveAid and now Live8 are all about getting young people to pressurise politicians who's snout is too deep in the money trough to do the right thing.

I see. I thought it was a mere fundraiser. My bad.
In any case I think it's just a very romantic thought. I praise everyone who tries on this direction, but I think that the problem lies also with the people there. I have talked to post-graduate students from Africa and tell me that the only set-back is the African people themselves. Local people in poor regions care about stealing and killing for a mere dollar (not exaggerating).

Now someone would say that, how can a poor man support himself without stealing. Good point. That's why I say the reason for the condition of Africa is partly the "colonial" way it is dealt with and the local people not changing it.

Africa is the paradox of modern economix theory. It has the biggest natural wealth. It should have grown rapidly back in the 15th and 16th century when economy was based on trading. But the local tribes were too busy killing themselves.

In hindsight not too smart of them...
:rolleyes:

PS sorry for the big post

Vaigra
07-01-2005, 02:52 PM
thank god

Vindesh17
07-01-2005, 07:08 PM

My dad was saying this exact thing this morning. He said whats the point of giving them money if they don't want to work for anything. Its just the way they are.

Niko_Fx
07-01-2005, 07:16 PM
My dad was saying this exact thing this morning. He said whats the point of giving them money if they don't want to work for anything. Its just the way they are.

Poverty levels and unemployment rates are pretty high in African countries... But a Bum in the US, Canada or any developed country is pretty stupid considering all the job opportunities.

johnnyperl
07-01-2005, 08:09 PM
its just the way they are?! they have no opportunites!
unemployment, famine and disease arent by choice!

that said, i dont think releiving the debt of these governments is going to solve anything.

as was said by lightweigt, africa is very rich in some natural resources such as diamonds and oil but its all controlled by corupt governments and rich western corperations are takeing advantage of that. who do you think get most of the money when a million dollar diamond is sold in LA, the poor black miner working in unsafe conditions or the guy who owns the jewlery store? whos working harder?

GT F1
07-01-2005, 08:33 PM
It's about time somebody banned that guy. :D

lightweight
07-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Well the endless story in Africa is that a young local warlord kills the previous one and takes over. Then he and his bandits pillage and do WTF they like.
Then guess what? The next local warlord takes over using the same methods:D
Neverending story. I agree that the way the superpowers (US GB etc) treat them is not the best possible. But even if the debts are erased, within a few years new debts will occur, I assure you.

The way out for all poor nations is by self sustained economic growth.

jorismo
07-02-2005, 02:37 AM

At least somebody around here knows what he's doing...

Spastik_Roach
07-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Well I loved the concert, didn't watch it all but what I did see (quite a bit) was fantastic.

whiteballz
07-02-2005, 05:03 PM
FOX coverage rocked, and im glad that so many bands etc lent themselves to this noble cause.

Quiggs
07-02-2005, 06:49 PM
FOX coverage rocked, and im glad that so many bands etc lent themselves to this noble cause.
The performers received 'gift baskets' backstage worth $50,000 each. Rolexs, Armani suits, Gucci shoes. Real noble of them.

my porsche
07-02-2005, 06:59 PM
yeah, how much of this "fundraising" do you think actually goes to the africans? :rolleyes: haha

Egg Nog
07-02-2005, 07:05 PM
yeah, how much of this "fundraising" do you think actually goes to the africans? :rolleyes: haha

I think you've pretty much missed the entire point of Live 8.

my porsche
07-02-2005, 07:07 PM
well from the commercials they have in england i got the gist that it was to raise money for africa, and also to get the 8 nations to drop africa's debt

Egg Nog
07-02-2005, 07:41 PM
well from the commercials they have in england i got the gist that it was to raise money for africa, and also to get the 8 nations to drop africa's debt

Okay, that's a little bit closer. Just so you know though, Live 8 itself isn't giving any money away to Africans. The event isn't about giving away freebies to poor people.

my porsche
07-02-2005, 07:50 PM
so basically, its a hcance for rockstars to make more money (not objecting to, i love money also :p ) it seems if these people really cared about the well beoing of africa, they wuld do just one show for free.... :confused:

Egg Nog
07-02-2005, 07:58 PM
so basically, its a hcance for rockstars to make more money (not objecting to, i love money also :p ) it seems if these people really cared about the well beoing of africa, they wuld do just one show for free.... :confused:

Believe me, I know you love money. That's a classic UCP topic by now :p

They're not getting paid! None of them even knew they would be recieving "gift baskets". They did it because they care about making a difference in the world.

my porsche
07-02-2005, 08:03 PM
then if the money from the tickets doesnt go to the bands, or africans, where does it go?

Rockefella
07-02-2005, 08:27 PM
then if the money from the tickets doesnt go to the bands, or africans, where does it go?
My friend Alex went to go see it in Philly, he said it was free.

my porsche
07-02-2005, 08:32 PM
wow...a free concert...i dont beleive it, did they have concessions or something? t-shirts? some form of money makrer?

Rockefella
07-02-2005, 10:58 PM
wow...a free concert...i dont beleive it, did they have concessions or something? t-shirts? some form of money makrer?
Livestrong-type bracelets I believe. Probably selling for 1-3 dollars.

drakkie
07-03-2005, 01:07 AM
i have seen a very big part of the concerts.i was watching from 6pm till 2 am in the night.

Paul McCartney was absolutely fabulous, the Pet Shop Boys were pretty cool too.Scissor sisters new song was sligtly disappointing,but the rest was nice.pink floyd was awesome too. i have video-taped the entire event on 4 three hour tapes !!! McCartney owned them all, by far the best ! iwas rocking the house off :p
Dutch tv coverage sucked bigtime, but the BBC did a much better job. I hope they give out an DVD with all 8? concerts on it.i would defintely buy it.

sign the list on
www.live8live.com
now please, it is for a very good cause.

Egg Nog
07-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Pink Floyd was just as awesome as they've always been. Spectacular.

Matra et Alpine
07-03-2005, 08:38 AM
JEESUS please try to realise that capitalism isnt' the ONLY driver in the free world :)

It's about INFLUENCING to make a difference in the mindsets of the G8 meetings.

It was all free and applied for tickets by ballot.

taz_rocks_miami
07-03-2005, 11:27 AM
It's about INFLUENCING to make a difference in the mindsets of the G8 meetings.

I'm just sceptical about the real influence these concerts will have on the G8 leaders to be honest guys. Remember all the protests around the world right before the current Iraq war? A lot of good they did! I'm gald to see people come out to support such an important cause, I just don't see it doing any REAL good. Sorry :(

Esperante
07-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Pink Floyd was awesome. But all I saw was the recap they had on later, just the chorus of 'Comfortably Numb.' What else did they play?

Matra et Alpine
07-04-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm just sceptical about the real influence these concerts will have on the G8 leaders to be honest guys. Remember all the protests around the world right before the current Iraq war? A lot of good they did! I'm gald to see people come out to support such an important cause, I just don't see it doing any REAL good. Sorry :(
Funny MOST of the members of G8 wer against the war, so maybe those DID make a difference.

Of course, NOTHING can control a lunatic or a maniac ( take your pick :) )

BUT this time around, Blair is NOT going to be Bush's lapdog and will be expecting some payback for the support given.

Matra et Alpine
07-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Pink Floyd was awesome. But all I saw was the recap they had on later, just the chorus of 'Comfortably Numb.' What else did they play?
The audio and video are up on torrents now.
see www.isohunt.com :)

crisis
07-04-2005, 08:31 AM
I hope the only good thing to come out of it was not Roger and Dave getting back together. Nearly bought a tear to my eye, like the young African girl introduced with Madonna.
Despite being a great gathering of new and old (and well past it in some cases!)rock stars, I cant see how the G8 group is really going to be influenced. I suspect in a few days many of the punters will have all but forgotten what it was all about.
And Brian Wilson is not well. :eek:

Matra et Alpine
07-04-2005, 10:01 AM
What else did they play?
sorry, forgot to say ...

Breathe
Money
Wish you were here
and Comfortably Numb :0

Niko_Fx
07-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I can't stand to watch it right now on MTV... I see famous / rich rappers, rockers, pop artists etc.. Telling everyone about the people dying in Africa (while they f*cking wear expensive clothes, drive expensive cars, have houses in every friggin state and waste their money in crap)

The hipocrisy in this World goes beyond infiniti, screw all these artists and their "effort". If they wanna make a difference sell all your belongings and give it away... Like the stupid A P.Diddy. How can a guy who wears a US $2 Million Diamond Ring tell me about trying to make a difference in the World by helping Africa?

emperor
07-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I can't stand to watch it right now on MTV... I see famous / rich rappers, rockers, pop artists etc.. Telling everyone about the people dying in Africa (while they f*cking wear expensive clothes, drive expensive cars, have houses in every friggin state and waste their money in crap)

The hipocrisy in this World goes beyond infiniti, screw all these artists and their "effort". If they wanna make a difference sell all your belongings and give it away... Like the stupid A P.Diddy. How can a guy who wears a US $2 Million Diamond Ring tell me about trying to make a difference in the World by helping Africa?

I so support what you say. And furthermore:
it's nice that those artists are doing it but: it's easy to say "we'll play this concert for free as a charity" when they will receive a nice sum with 5 or 6 zeros for their next aperrance. The real help comes from people who are in Africa (Red Cross, nuns, priests etc...). They make the REAL difference

taz_rocks_miami
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM
I so support what you say. And furthermore:
it's nice that those artists are doing it but: it's easy to say "we'll play this concert for free as a charity" when they will receive a nice sum with 5 or 6 zeros for their next aperrance. The real help comes from people who are in Africa (Red Cross, nuns, priests etc...). They make the REAL difference

I also agree, hats off the Red Cross and other people that make the REAL difference as you said emperor :)

Matra et Alpine
07-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Different view by some of us this end of the pond.

Many of the British acts ( well the established ones ) actually support and visit Afrian nations. Meet with leaders of nations, organisatino and push to make a real change and brush aside beurocracy.
Check in to what Geldof, Bono, Macartney, Sting etc etc do.

Still not the same as being there 24/7, digging wells, innoculating kids etc etc as the REAL organisation achieve, but it's not fair to totally dimish the work done by the good ones because of a few chumps.

Sounds as if the US one was more about PR and sales ( even in the UK Madonna got boo'ed for briefly promoting HER new single :) )

Blitz_
07-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I watched the whole thing and it was fantastic, start to finish and enjoyed it thoroughly. I missed Audioslave though, well i only got to watch the last moments of like a stone. Does anyone else know what other songs they played?

I expected a bit more from muse seeing as the vocalist is usually stunning live and has quite a large octive range. Pink Floyd was great, loved every moment, and the beach boys, dear oh dear, one of the lesser perfomanced I must admit.

Didn't expect the who to be there, but they were pretty good as well, i love their songs and they put on a pretty good act. Madonna's performance was enjoyable, and her first song was the best and touching.

Overall it was a great even and something that did indeed raise awareness, it wasn't about charity, it was about getting people to know about the injustice and poverty. But, one thing that concerns me that was in today's newspaper was the fact that no one said anything about the african dictators and leaders whom kill thousands!!! why not? they are just as big as a threat, and they don't let aid get to the needy, they spend the money on arms and such. This threat should have been made aware to people around the world as well.

Well thankyou again Geldof, youre one helluva terrible singer and performer, but i admire the work you have done :)

Matra et Alpine
07-10-2005, 01:33 AM
IBut, one thing that concerns me that was in today's newspaper was the fact that no one said anything about the african dictators and leaders whom kill thousands!!! why not? they are just as big as a threat, and they don't let aid get to the needy, they spend the money on arms and such. This threat should have been made aware to people around the world as well.

Well thankyou again Geldof, youre one helluva terrible singer and performer, but i admire the work you have done :)
Contineu your praise for Geldof and buy a better newspaper.

It WAS widely reported Geldof's views on corruption ......

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=UP913780L&news_headline=geldof:_no_poverty_relief_while_corr uption
Bob Geldof admitted today no amount of aid to Africa could eradicate poverty on the continent while its Governments remain corrupt.

He said: "The issue governance is at the forefront of this compact. You can't give aid to countries when they return it to us in debt payment, especially if you don't allow them to trade with us. None of that will function unless there is a decent Government.

"It was our African partners who insisted we take the governance chapter and put it at the front of the book. They are going to sort this out."