PDA

View Full Version : Morris Mini Cooper (Mk1)

Esperante
07-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Bit of a backstory-
So i bought the lotus Europa kit and painted it blue. No problems, right? I found out they didn't bulid 'em in blue. So I got a little upset, and screwed up a bit. Afraid I'd ruin it more, I didn't touch it. So then I had this idea-I had built this clubman Mini 3 years ago-so to see how much I've improved, I thought I'd build this stock one.

Esperante
07-01-2005, 12:13 PM
--2--

Dino Scuderia
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Good job! I like them!

Those by Tamiya?

Esperante
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
--3--

Esperante
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Good job! I like them!

Those by Tamiya?
Yes. They don't have any Hasegawa or Fujimi over at the local shop, so I'm stuck doing a stockpile of Tamiyas for now. (Not a bad thing ;))

--4--

VtecMini
07-02-2005, 02:10 AM
I've got that kit somewhere. It's the only one I have. I got as far as clipping it from the sprue and filing down the mould lines and whatnot, but that's about it.
I was gonna try and make it into a stripped out rally racer, but didn't get that far. :(

Wouter Melissen
07-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Be very careful with it, the front wheels have a weird tendency to come off. The ones we have all look a little disfigured because of it.

Esperante
07-02-2005, 07:27 AM
^Heed his advice. The mechanism Tamiya uses to attach the front wheels is very awkward. This much just happened to me, and I have no idea how to fix it now-When the front wheels are straight, all four wheels touch the ground, as same when I steer the wheels to the right. However, when I turn them to the left, rear left wheel comes off the ground, because the front right wheel gains a lot of camber because it doesn't agree with the weird axle. My only problem with it, though.

Birdman
07-02-2005, 06:29 PM
nice model. Looks good.

tfd86
08-08-2005, 08:21 AM
I see you've made a few changes of your own around the place - I'm building one of the Rally versions at the moment but using parts from one of the Austin Kits that were released in 2001... The rally kit is usually a Morris but the Austin has nicer chromework and chrome transfer badge decals and stuff. Will post ASAP..

BTW, on the wheels thing - it's a perennial problem, although i've found the best thing to do is put the wheels on and let it sit overnight on it's wheels. I left one upside down once because i thought itd be better but the wheels splayed out and made that camber problem. If you at least let it dry the way you want it under some weight it usually sits level - but yes, front and back the whole wheel mechanism is very un-Tamiya in it's poor design!

In reality I actually dislike this kit because it has some very fussy painting detail especially inside on the dash and the parts are small but because i own a real mini i cant help myself :D

henk4
08-08-2005, 08:25 AM
In reality I actually dislike this kit because it has some very fussy painting detail especially inside on the dash and the parts are small but because i own a real mini i cant help myself :D

There is always the 1/12 version to go for, but that is maybe too modern :)
Welcome to UCP by the way, the modelling section is still small but we are working on that, hope you will contribute

tfd86
08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Why thankyou..

I've actually been looking for some like-minded people to discuss things like how much thinner and good colour mixes and stuff.. It's all a bit geeky but it makes my models look better so i dont mind :)

tfd86
08-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Oh and yeh, the 1/12 is a Rover Cooper circa 1990s - im a classic mini man, mine's a '69.

Dino Scuderia
08-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Why thankyou..

I've actually been looking for some like-minded people to discuss things like how much thinner and good colour mixes and stuff.. It's all a bit geeky but it makes my models look better so i dont mind :)

Welcome to UCP!

On thinning paints....I assume for airbrushing....a good rule is to start out with a mixture which is the consistancy of milk then adjust from there. If it's spraying too dry, add a couple drops of thinner, if too wet with a tendency to run add a couple drops of paint. Everyones painting hardware/atmospheric conditions are different...you just have to experiment until you find what works best.

tfd86
08-09-2005, 05:14 AM
Hmm dont have an airbrush.. but thanks anyway :)

Esperante
08-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Is there a 1/24 ofthe Rover, by chance?

henk4
08-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Is there a 1/24 ofthe Rover, by chance?

Fujimi??