PDA

View Full Version : rims

baddabang
01-25-2004, 08:37 AM
i dont know if this has been posted before but here it goes.
you know those rims that keep spining after you stop (spinners) well what do you think. i myself like them,but its not like they help your car ne :p

Misho
01-25-2004, 08:52 AM
i personally think that in some applications, spinners can be very kool. it kinda depends on the car and the other visual mods done to it (no one installs spinners on a stock car !!). they can be as ugly as hell though !!

a good question that could make this thread more interesting is, are there spinners with a seperate motor to keep them spinning for ever ?? or is just the attached piece that works based on its moment of inertia and then dies off ?
the reason i am asking this is coz i've seen spinners in a rap video on a bike and they seemed to be going on forever. any comments by the big playez out dere ??

SPHFerrari
01-25-2004, 10:27 AM
im not 100% positive but id put my money on it that no spinners have a seperate motor. they rely completely on inertia from the spinning of the actual rims to continue spinning. in the rap videos they just use their hands to get them spinning realy fast because, if you have ever been driving in one or next to one ( car wit spinners) u know that many dont even get spinning that fast. i drove past one on a highway and the outside part that spins on this escalade was barely moving. in the music videos they just spin the rims really fast and then cut to a different shot when they slow down so they can spinn them again by hand

Matra et Alpine
01-25-2004, 11:47 AM
i dont know if this has been posted before but here it goes.
you know those rims that keep spining after you stop (spinners) well what do you think. i myself like them,but its not like they help your car ne :p
I saw these last year in LA on a big black SUV with all the trimmings.
It made me look twice, which is what I guess the owners want.

With friends who I know would want them I tracked down a couple of suppliers. They rely on mass to make the spinners NOT move while the wheels are moving at slow speed and KEEP spinning when the car slows down and stops. With the right wheel behind they look good.

I can imagine cheap copies will arrive which do NOT have the very low resistance bearings of the best.

Now if they could do them for a bike it MIGHT just wake those Volvo drivers out of their slumbers and stop them hitting me :)

kko
01-25-2004, 03:18 PM
i personally think as long as its and old skewl vehicle it workz

an old impala lo-rida, a 70 chopper (thats a motercycle for all u strictly car people :cool: ) some muscle-cars
ect,

DiabloGTR
01-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Spinners look great on SUVs and large sedans, they come in sizes of 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and I've even heard of 26 inch spinners.
They also looks good on old-school big bodied cars.
Spinners are expensive though, like 5 grand for a whole set of four.