PDA

View Full Version : opel speedster diesel

henk4
01-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Domrose from Germany has launched a diesel version of the Opel Speedster (based on the Lotus Elise). It has the 2.2 CDI of the Opel Vectra, giving about 165 BHP and 330 NM of torque. It can top 220 kph, and still will consume 5.7 litre per 100 km on average. It seems that diesel is creeping into areas where 10 years ago nobody would have expected it to do so.

Matra et Alpine
01-25-2004, 01:04 PM
It seems that diesel is creeping into areas where 10 years ago nobody would have expected it to do so.
Yep, even the MIN has succumboed to teutonic efficiency :(

It should NOT be done to some cars !!!

Homem de Gelo
01-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Emissions!
How do those of diesel cars compare the gasoline cars?

Egg Nog
01-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Emissions!
How do those of diesel cars compare the gasoline cars?

Well, gasoline engines tend to produce more CO, CO2, and NOx than diesel engines do, but diesel has loads of particulate matter. It all depends of how you look at it; unfortunately, there's no "better or worse".

I'm a huge fan of this new Speedster :)

DasModell
01-25-2004, 05:05 PM
i wonder how much does it weight now ...??

Homem de Gelo
01-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Well, gasoline engines tend to produce more CO, CO2, and NOx than diesel engines do, but diesel has loads of particulate matter. It all depends of how you look at it; unfortunately, there's no "better or worse".

I'm a huge fan of this new Speedster :)

So if there's no better or worse, the only advantage of the diesel is the consumption and low end torque?

Egg Nog
01-27-2004, 07:37 PM
So if there's no better or worse, the only advantage of the diesel is the consumption and low end torque?

Pretty much, yes ;)

However, those are some great advantages. I don't think I'd ever buy a diesel sports car, but I'm definately a big diesel fan.

Homem de Gelo
01-27-2004, 07:47 PM
If those are the advantages, I'd rather buy a supercar powered by alcohol from sugar canes. Many cars in Brazil run with this alcohol, but no supercars that I know of, only highly tuned cars.

From what I've read, the advantages are that the alcohol can produce more hp while stressing the engine the engine less, producing better emissions and also being a perfectly renweable source of energy. The downsides are the consumption, which is noticebly lower than that of gasoline cars and the fact that alcohol cars and cold temperatures are enemies of each other. Even here in my city, where things go below 15ºC in the coldest nights, it can be a pain to start an alcohol car and warm the engine early in the morning.

Homem de Gelo
01-27-2004, 07:49 PM
The best example for a highly tuned veivhle that ran on alcohol was a truck I saw here, the truck was a D20, I'm not sure if it was ever sold in other countries and what name it received.

The guy did everything possible to his engine, adopting alcolhol and produced a 800hp (including the nitro shots) engine. The truck could top at 270 km/h!!! :eek: