PDA

View Full Version : The GT4 Challenge: startup thread

SIMPLETON
07-04-2005, 11:59 AM
I might start a comp. here. I'm just interested in seeing how many people would be interested in competing. Here are a few rules I've drafted up.

Each comp starts Monday morning, and ends Sunday at midnight
The winner of the previous comp will give the information for the next comp including car, track, tires, and modifications.
Photographic proof must be provided for authentication. All times submitted without proof will be excluded
The winner will recieve 10 points, 2nd place gets 8, 3rd place gets 6, 4th place gets 4, 5th place gets 2, all other entrants will recieve 1 point.

Feel free to sugsest rules. If you want to compete please respond to this thread before sunday at midnight.

lightweight
07-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Very good idea.
How exactly will the authentication be made? Will there be net playing or everyone will play on his own?
Great idea. I believe I can do really good on this one. If I believe Murphy's law, I will finish last, though :D

SIMPLETON
07-04-2005, 12:11 PM
When you do laps in free run or something and then go back to the race menu it will display your best time from that session. Take a picture of this with the namee of the car visible. post it in the thread.

twinspark
07-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Well managed it could turn out really interesting, especially if there was enough competitors.

SIMPLETON
07-04-2005, 12:24 PM
it could turn out really interesting, especially if there was enough competitors.

That is exactly what I'm hoping for. I would hope that the winners will choose challenges that have little to know tuning required as to keep competitionas close as possible while forcing competitors to use skill to win. I can not guarantee that either of us will ever win but we can all hope for it.

Rockefella
07-04-2005, 12:42 PM
When I come back from my friends house, I'll use some of my GT4 Photo Comp Savvy to compose a few rules.

deffenbaugh03
07-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Put me down as interested

Jack_Bauer
07-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah I could be tempted to give it a blast, count me in. :)

lightweight
07-04-2005, 02:06 PM
As it will be difficult to police the mods made to each car, I suggest to allow all mods. Anyway, a 700+ bhp M5 is pretty difficult to control don't you think?

The only thing that will be suggested will be the car and track. For example M5 and nurburgring. If someone can do it better with a 600 bhp M5 , then let him do it. If someone thinks he can manage a 700 bhp in the twisty circuit, fine.
This way the skill of the player will be used.

Also It would be very nice to have the first race on the 'Ring! Symbolic track....

I'm so excited. Very good proposal Simpleton.

Jack_Bauer
07-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Anyway, a 700+ bhp M5 is pretty difficult to control don't you think?

The only thing that will be suggested will be the car and track. For example M5 and nurburgring. If someone can do it better with a 600 bhp M5 , then let him do it. If someone thinks he can manage a 700 bhp in the twisty circuit, fine.
This way the skill of the player will be used.

That all depends if you allow any driving aids, and it'll be pretty hard to police whether people are using them or not. A 700bhp M5 wouldn't be too tough if you crank the TC up to 6 or 7.

lightweight
07-04-2005, 03:03 PM
POLITICS....
Now I understand how Mosley feels....:D
I can't think a way to police the bhp or TC settings. If it can be done, it's welcome.

Mustang
07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
i seem to remember another comp a bit like this a while back :rolleyes: ;) :)

it gets a pain in the arse after a while, especially if your keeping scors like a proper racing series for the competitors :p

i would enter but my memory card died so now i have no cars and nothing to save on :'(

sleekeywoowoo
07-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm in

Rockefella
07-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Ok, some ideas from the GT4 Guru.

• Have a competition to post the fastest time on different tracks, regardless of car, tires, mods, all that has to be the same is the track.

• Bi-weekly or monthly themes: For example, on the 5th week, have the track competition, any car etc, just to get the fastest time. Every 10 weeks, have a champions week, taking the winners from those 9 weeks before hand into one competition. (5th week will not coincide w/ 10th week, for the 5's it would be: 5, 15, 25, etc. The 10's would be 10, 20, 30, so on.)

• Wacky ideas like doing the course in reverse, no TCS/ACM/Stability Control, Head to head competions, etc.

Hope that helps.

CHEESE-TACULAR
07-04-2005, 05:40 PM
akward rules rock-im in, my only suggestion is to have users PM the results to you

Rockefella
07-04-2005, 08:22 PM
akward rules rock-im in, my only suggestion is to have users PM the results to you
Just trying to throw in some ideas.

Blue Supra
07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
put me down as keen. i have enough cars to whip most people on any track:p

Rockefella
07-04-2005, 10:25 PM
put me down as keen. i have enough cars to whip most people on any track:p
Good luck, I'm at 90%. :) Would be 100% if I finished off the Jap manufacturer races and the Mission Hall but I stopped caring.

shockwaveracing
07-05-2005, 12:42 AM
yeah i will have a crack at it...

Blue Supra
07-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Good luck, I'm at 90%. :) Would be 100% if I finished off the Jap manufacturer races and the Mission Hall but I stopped caring.

im at 55%... :o

what car did you use for the 2nd last professional race? the supercar only one? my S7 is enough but is there anything better?

Rockefella
07-05-2005, 02:09 AM
im at 55%... :o

what car did you use for the 2nd last professional race? the supercar only one? my S7 is enough but is there anything better?
Pagani Zonda C12 I suppose.

twinspark
07-05-2005, 02:54 AM
Have a competition to post the fastest time on different tracks, regardless of car, tires, mods, all that has to be the same is the track.Sure, that would sort the best out of the rest, but
1) It would still lead to most drivers using the same car, it would just be the fastest one.
2) On most cars, the power and torque are displayed at the top of the screen when the lap time is displayed. So the engine mods can be restricted at least to some point.

Bi-weekly or monthly themes: For example, on the 5th week, have the track competition, any car etc, just to get the fastest time. Every 10 weeks, have a champions week, taking the winners from those 9 weeks before hand into one competition. (5th week will not coincide w/ 10th week, for the 5's it would be: 5, 15, 25, etc. The 10's would be 10, 20, 30, so on.) Probably there would be a very small group of winners from just 9 races. Also, it might make the point calculation more difficult.

Wacky ideas like doing the course in reverse, no TCS/ACM/Stability Control, Head to head competions, etc. I think usage of TCS/ASM can not be controlled in any way, correct me if I'm wrong. Then again the head to head competitions would also make the point calculation quite difficult

CHEESE-TACULAR
07-05-2005, 05:25 AM
you can controll TCS/ASM :)

twinspark
07-05-2005, 05:45 AM
you can controll TCS/ASM :)
I couldn't figure out how. I suppose you're talking about online racing? Everything I wrote in the last message was written considering offline play by submitting laptimes here.

my porsche
07-05-2005, 08:30 AM
yeah like cheese said, pm it to you, then when the competition closes post them, and also:
-make them use arcade mode so that the maximum tuning is even and its all up to driver skill
-make them take a picture of the hp/lbft/car name/lap time (i think you said that)
-make them more frequent than a week, i hate it when they last like 5 ddays and you have to wait to do it again

(DEIT)oh yeah im in too

my porsche
07-05-2005, 08:31 AM
I couldn't figure out how. I suppose you're talking about online racing? Everything I wrote in the last message was written considering offline play by submitting laptimes here.
go to the settings menu then find "driving aids" and its in there

SIMPLETON
07-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Can you send attachments through PM's? Soon as this is answered I'll start a comp.

twinspark
07-05-2005, 09:14 AM
go to the settings menu then find "driving aids" and its in there Uhm... I think you've all got me wrong, since the beginning I meant that I don't know a way to control whether the competitors use the aids or not.

I have played every Gran Turismo since the first one except for the Consept Tokyo/Geneva (still have them in the bookshelf) so TCS/ASM setup isn't exactly new to me :) .

Solstice
07-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Suggestion: You sholdn't be allowed to post anything about your final time in the Competition thread. You should only be allowed to post 'T' times (checkpoint times). Final times should be PM'ed to the person running the competition.

I used to participate in a GT4 competition similar to this one, and this was one of the main rules.

Rockefella
07-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Suggestion: You sholdn't be allowed to post anything about your final time in the Competition thread. You should only be allowed to post 'T' times (checkpoint times). Final times should be PM'ed to the person running the competition.

I used to participate in a GT4 competition similar to this one, and this was one of the main rules.
Yeah, I kind of broke that rule when I posted my time was in the high 6's and got it down to around 6:30