PDA

View Full Version : What is Camber then?

mechanixfetch
01-25-2004, 04:09 PM
I hear plenty about Negative camber and camber adjusters, but what is it? I know this probably makes me look dim in the eyes of the engineering minds on these fourms but I think it is better to ask than to remain ignorant and pretend differently.

Matra et Alpine
01-25-2004, 05:09 PM
I hear plenty about Negative camber and camber adjusters, but what is it? I know this probably makes me look dim in the eyes of the engineering minds on these fourms but I think it is better to ask than to remain ignorant and pretend differently.Camber is the numberof degress from vertical the face of a wheel is. Neg camber helps in corners.
I did find a simple page which gives a summary of it all - http://www.stockcarracing.com/tipstricks/31519/

mechanixfetch
01-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks the site was very useful. :)

NAZCA C2
01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
your tires will not make mazimum grip if they are touching the ground perfectly flat, so if you tilt your wheels in or out they will grip better. The tilt of the wheels is called camber. Too much camber though will cause tire wear.

Matra et Alpine
01-26-2004, 05:32 PM
your tires will not make mazimum grip if they are touching the ground perfectly flat, so if you tilt your wheels in or out they will grip better. The tilt of the wheels is called camber. Too much camber though will cause tire wear.
Sorry NAZCA, you've got that mixed up.
You get maximum grip when you have MOST rubber in contact with the road.
With a theoretically perfect suspension design you could handle body roll, bumps and weight transfer and maintain a flat contact.
As that's impossible, the compromise is to allow the outer tyres to 'roll' on the flat footprint as the car weight transfers to the outside edge and the suspension compresses and the body rolls. Hence neg camber.

Smokescreen
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
you see, I think NAZCA means the tires should not be perfectly flat when just sitting there. when the car corners the suspension will make the tires on the outside flatten out when you are cronering.

Matra et Alpine
01-27-2004, 05:55 PM
you see, I think NAZCA means the tires should not be perfectly flat when just sitting there. when the car corners the suspension will make the tires on the outside flatten out when you are cronering.
Possibly.
Depends on the suspension :)
Unequal wishbones will maintain tyre contact as the suspension compresses and the body rolls.
Trailing arms maintain wheel angle better.
It's for all the many reasons of variations that active suspension has been the dream of designers.

There is also the tyre size to consider.
Low profles tyres do better at stopping tyre roll, but in some suspension setups can cause the tyre contact to be poorer !!
Higher profile tyres do better at keeping consistent tyre contact patch.