PDA

View Full Version : London, England wins Olympic bid for 2012 Summer Games.

Rockefella
07-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Well, the final voting between Paris, London, and New York City was made official today, and London, a claimed underdog came out with the victory. Read below.

London wins Olympic bid
By CORINNE ABRAMS

LONDON was today chosen to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

The historic decision, set to give the East End of the capital a massive boost, was made after International Olympic Committee members took part in four nail-biting rounds of voting.

Moscow and New York were knocked out of the race in the first and second rounds.

Madrid was knocked out in the third round of voting in Singapore, leaving just London and Paris to battle it out.

Hundreds of people had gathered in Trafalgar Square in London to watch the voting take place.

Before the voting had even began, confident sports fans had erected a 'Thank you' banner in front of Nelson's column, meanwhile sports fans gathered in front of massive TV screens in the French capital.

It was announced a decision had been made at around 11.45 UK time.

But representatives from the two capital cities were made to wait a tense hour to hear the result at an official announcement ceremony at 12.45 UK time.

A huge cheer went up in Trafalgar Square as the decision was announced and confetti rained down on the crowd.

Olympic champion Sally Gunnell described the feeling of hearing London had won the bid as "not far off" winning a gold medal.

She described the win as "a chance of a lifetime", adding: "I am so proud of everyone who has worked so hard to get here."

Cotterik
07-06-2005, 07:30 AM
london won woo! thats my country! :p

who the hell cares about 2012? thats ages away..jesus. sheesh!

whiteballz
07-06-2005, 07:39 AM
its the olympics.. yay..

Lagonda
07-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I wanted it to be Paris as Paris IS the better location. Ah well, I'll live..
London still has a LOT of work since the current state of public transport is awefull in London.

6'bore
07-06-2005, 08:01 AM
If the Comonwealth Games is anything to go by, this should be one hell of an olympics.

Suka
07-06-2005, 08:12 AM
If the Comonwealth Games is anything to go by, this should be one hell of an olympics.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

targa
07-06-2005, 08:36 AM
shit!!!!!!!!!

when's Detroit going to have the olympics?

whiteballz
07-06-2005, 09:04 AM
never.

Wouter Melissen
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
when's Detroit going to have the olympics?
When all the potholes are fixed, which is:

never.

targa
07-06-2005, 09:36 AM
eh....fair enough

Matra et Alpine
07-06-2005, 10:11 AM
MINOR CORRECTION ....

It was London, GREAT BRITAIN that was awarded the games

grrrrrrrrrr :angry:

CHEESE-TACULAR
07-06-2005, 10:19 AM
thank god...the last thing NYC needs is more traffic/torists-theyre like killer plants that show up when theyre not wanted :mad:

Rockefella
07-06-2005, 10:50 AM
MINOR CORRECTION ....

grrrrrrrrrr :angry:
We Americans don't know the difference. :cool:

thank god...the last thing NYC needs is more traffic/torists-theyre like killer plants that show up when theyre not wanted :mad:
IDK, I would have loved to see the Olympics in NYC, I really enjoy watching the summer games.

targa
07-06-2005, 09:12 PM
MINOR CORRECTION ....

grrrrrrrrrr :angry:i saw

London, England

not

Edinburgh, Scotland

so, ENGLAND it is

Blitz_
07-06-2005, 11:27 PM
roflmfao @ wouter, damn man that was hell good play on quotes, im still laughing!! :D :D :D

Matra et Alpine
07-07-2005, 03:44 AM
i saw

London, England

not

Edinburgh, Scotland

so, ENGLAND it is
oh dear, geography not a strong point in your education :)
OR Olympic history :)

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland
London is the capital of England
London is the capital of Great Britain

Olympic entries are only permitted from Great Britain, so as the host NATION it IS London, Great Britain.

Commonwealth Games are entered by each of the nations of the United Kingdom and THESE can be hosted in London, England or Edinburgh, Scotland.

Getting it right is important in International circles :)

henk4
07-07-2005, 03:49 AM
In future OGs can only be held on islands, to control the flow of (unwanted) people coming in.
I will vote for Madagascar in 2016 and Sakhalin in 2020

Matra et Alpine
07-07-2005, 04:06 AM
In future OGs can only be held on islands, to control the flow of (unwanted) people coming in.
Ameland (spelling?) for 2024 ?????

3 times round the island for the marathon :)

CHEESE-TACULAR
07-07-2005, 04:45 AM
do you really think madagascar yould be a good idea? with the vegetaion and the disease and the endangered species? its one onf the few places on earth that still retain their natural selves

targa
07-07-2005, 05:25 AM
oh dear, geography not a strong point in your education :)
OR Olympic history :)

Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland
London is the capital of England
London is the capital of Great Britain

Olympic entries are only permitted from Great Britain, so as the host NATION it IS London, Great Britain.

Commonwealth Games are entered by each of the nations of the United Kingdom and THESE can be hosted in London, England or Edinburgh, Scotland.

Getting it right is important in International circles :)yeah, i dont get the whole thing about how scotland, england and wales can all be the same, Great Britian, and still their own country....but you guys have been there longer than we have been here....so go for it

henk4
07-07-2005, 05:28 AM
do you really think madagascar yould be a good idea? with the vegetaion and the disease and the endangered species? its one onf the few places on earth that still retain their natural selves
no and neither would be Sakhalin :)

PsychoChimp22
07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
2010 is gonna be awesommmme.... :D