PDA

View Full Version : What Car Should I Get?

Joey7489
01-25-2004, 11:53 PM
What car should I get Suggestions for my first car?

im lookin for stuff i can afford .. .somen used- probably.. and something my parents can afford for insurance.im lookin at acura rsx, mitsubishi eclipse gsx, toyota mr2.
im looking for something within the price range of $8,000-$15,000
Please let me know if you think you have something you think I should look at thats decently fast and is nice and affordable. Dont know if the parents feel comfortable with me gettin a turboed car but im pushing

PLZ RESPOND
also muscle cars included... no v8s tho :( yea it sucks

jtr34
01-25-2004, 11:59 PM
get the gsx screw honda

Egg Nog
01-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Without needing to think at all, I'd take the MR2. Between 8 and 15 grand, I'm sure you'd be able to pick up a really clean mk2 Turbo...

NAZCA C2
01-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Try to find a good deal on a Miata, or a VW Golf.

mechanixfetch
01-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Get a mid 70s 911. a great car and fast too. You'll only spend about $ 13 000 CDN.

sandwich
01-26-2004, 08:43 PM
subaru 2.5 RS...especially if your parents are anti turbo....

or,
celica alltrak gts
eclipse dsm
audi coupe quat or ur-quattro

or...
gen2 rx7...you could buy a nice one for 5 and drop the rest on mods...what an amazing car that could be
gen3 rx7, if you find an old one, you can get it...i've been there, they drop as low as 11 (maybe more?)

oops...i see your parents need to insure it....hmm...well the AWD cars above could be ok, except for the eclipse. AWD might help convince your parents...as it's not a RWD car, yet it's also safer inthe winter

damn...with 8-15 for a first car, you are a lucky boy...i have to replace the brakes on my 12 year old civic tomorrow....

Joey7489
01-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Naa i dont do the rotary motor with a turbo. too many problems... whats an eclipse dsm?

mechanixfetch
01-26-2004, 08:54 PM
One of these. It was also Brian's first car in the Fast and the Furious

Joey7489
01-26-2004, 08:55 PM
wats the shit stock? like engine size and stuff?
wouldnt it just be like a gt or a gts or a gsx? or an rs? like why dsm? lol
is it turboed?

mechanixfetch
01-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Model Trim: GSX GS-T GS Spyder GS RS
Engine Code: 4G63T (turbo) 4G63T (turbo) 4G64 420A 420A
Engine Specs: 2.0L, DOHC 2.0L, DOHC 2.4L, SOHC 2.0L, DOHC "
Turbo: T25 T25 N/A N/A "
Horsepower: 210 210 141 140 "
Top Speed: 130-140 130-140 ??? ??? ???
Drivetrain: AWD FWD FWD FWD FWD

mechanixfetch
01-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Gahhhhh all my formatting and it didn't work

mechanixfetch
01-26-2004, 09:08 PM
And some performance specs for the GSX also ripped off another site
0-60 mph 6.5 sec
0-100 mph -----
¼ Mile 15.1 @ 91.6 mph
Top Speed 137 mph
Gas Mileage 21 MPG City / 28 MPG Highway

Joey7489
01-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Ok so if i were to get an eclipse...
Eclipse GST 1998?
eclipse gsx 1998
eclipse gts 2004?

and then we got like the
toyota mr2?
acura rsx?
mazda miata
mazda 6 s
mazda RX8 <-- which i heard has engine problems?

Egg Nog
01-26-2004, 11:07 PM
One more question actually, who are you going to be hauling around with you? :) I suggested the MR2 at first because that's what I'd choose, but if you want a couple friends in the back, that's another story...

Joey7489
01-27-2004, 11:21 AM
well you see i found a good deal
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2456116444
but my dad wont let me bid on it becuz the pics dont work and he doesnt trust them. and also that im not ready for another car until like another 6 months so too many cars in the garage... moms, dads, brothers and all of mine haha...
what do you guys think about a 5 speed lexus is 300??
P I M P??

Egg Nog
01-27-2004, 06:48 PM
what do you guys think about a 5 speed lexus is 300??
P I M P??

I think that it would be a great car, but I don't think it would help you sell any prostitutes.

raider
01-27-2004, 11:07 PM
joey - i reckon you should go for an mr2. it;s better than the acura and the mitsi is ok. but if it were me, i'd go for an mr2.

mooseTSi
02-08-2004, 06:20 PM
"whats an eclipse dsm?"

a DSM is a Dimond Star Motors. which is chrysler and mitsu teaming up to make 90-98 (talons, eclipse, and the laser). you would want a 98 or below eclipse gsx or talon Tsi they have a 4g63 turbo and they are all wheel drive. bout 210hp. i have a 91 talon tsi awd

icezdragonz
02-21-2004, 08:28 AM
i'd get an mr2 myself
hrmzZz.. theres also a few other cars out there thata re good also, i think the lexus/toyota soarer would b nice? dont u? :D its got a 2jz engine dosent it? like the supra it also comes in v8 or v6 aswell. i think their within your price range, or u can get an s15 :D i dont know how much they are but i think u'd b able 2 afford one if u save up for an extra few months lol.

but yes.. MR2~! XP

icezdragonz
02-21-2004, 08:31 AM
P.S your parents wouldnt need to know about the turbos :p just cover them with a cloth or something when u show them the engine lol, then take it off when u go driving :D

HBloverb18
02-23-2004, 07:28 PM
OK someone said screw honda's and i think your retarded. Honda makes the best motors around and they last forever. I think you should get a 1995 honda civic si hatchback and drop a gsr motor into it and new suspension rims big brake upgrade short shifter new clutch fully built internals and then turbo it and all for under 15k and you have 300+hp in a car thats under 2800 lbs. you could even put a NX N-tercooler bar on it for 50 extra hp. what car for under 15k will get you that?

mooseTSi
02-23-2004, 09:34 PM
OK someone said screw honda's and i think your retarded. Honda makes the best motors around and they last forever. I think you should get a 1995 honda civic si hatchback and drop a gsr motor into it and new suspension rims big brake upgrade short shifter new clutch fully built internals and then turbo it and all for under 15k and you have 300+hp in a car thats under 2800 lbs. you could even put a NX N-tercooler bar on it for 50 extra hp. what car for under 15k will get you that?

since when do hondas make the "best" motors around? there are many cars that u can get 300hp for way under 15k. and itll take a lot of cash to buy the car, drop a new engine, build the engine and then turbo it. u also have to pay someone to put it all in, tune it( because u r putting a turbo on a n/a, that isnt designed for a turbo) thats a hell of a lot of work and just that alone is some cash then to add suspension a big brake kit and a short shifter. i think itll be a little more then 15k. I dont have anything aginst hondas but to say that they are the best? come on and i can spend less then 10 on a DSM and get it to 300+hp including the car( a first gen) people also say the 4g63 mitsu. engine is the best, its "bullet proof", says some. You cant really say one engine is the best when its be compared to dozens upon dozens. If u want a turbo car. get a car that already has a turbo on it. it'll save u a lot of hassel. get a eclipse gsx,MR2 turbo,srt-4, Grand nationl, etc

Egg Nog
02-23-2004, 10:48 PM
I think you should get a 1995 honda civic si.......... ...what car for under 15k will get you that?

There are hundreds of used cars that will match that performance for $15,000 or less. Moreover, they'll be reliable, and there are loads that will be rear wheel drive. If you want the cheapest bang-for-the-buck, a Civic isn't exactly the greatest starting point.

Honda makes the best motors around and they last forever.

Want to make any guesses how long a ridiculously over-stressed turbocharged 300hp+ 1600cc engine lasts? Hardly "forever".

Doza
02-24-2004, 03:35 PM
There are hundreds of used cars that will match that performance for $15,000 or less. Moreover, they'll be reliable, and there are loads that will be rear wheel drive. If you want the cheapest bang-for-the-buck, a Civic isn't exactly the greatest starting point.
But all the cool street racers here have big wings and chinese writing stickers on their cars... that must be good for about 560hp, and I believe someone once said:
"A Civic can probably outrun any Ferrari because it is front wheel drive!"

Want to make any guesses how long a ridiculously over-stressed turbocharged 300hp+ 1600cc engine lasts? Hardly "forever".
That's right forever and a DAY!
-------
I don't hate the civic, but I have to resent it because it wins the award for "Most Commonly Riced Out Car"

HBloverb18
02-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Yea eggnog your right, nope your not. Overstressed? how is 8 psi to 10 psi on a fully built motor over stressed? Also a gsr motor is a 1.8 liter motor so I dont know what your talkin about. Yea what the srt-4 is the same price but again it doesnt match the power numbers of a turbo gsr hatch. Built internals good oil and 7-10 psi is safe. Yea it wouldnt be bad to get a nissan 240sx and drop in a sr20det motor for RWD but id stil take the honda for its handling.

sandwich
02-24-2004, 05:01 PM
handling? what handling? mushy with lots of oversteer? great!

why not buy a car that's already turboed and save yourself thousands of dollars? Mind you, to reliably turbo a car with any significant boost, you need an intercooler. The honda civic does not come with any provisions for this, so some fabrication is going to be necessary. This costs money.

civics are NOT the best for the money, nor are they the best performers available.

also, a turbo gsr hatch has NO figures, because it is custom, and therefore EVERYTHING is variable.

Doza
02-24-2004, 05:21 PM
I think that it would be a great car, but I don't think it would help you sell any prostitutes.
+36 for wittiness.

mooseTSi
02-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Yea eggnog your right, nope your not. Overstressed? how is 8 psi to 10 psi on a fully built motor over stressed? Also a gsr motor is a 1.8 liter motor so I dont know what your talkin about. Yea what the srt-4 is the same price but again it doesnt match the power numbers of a turbo gsr hatch. Built internals good oil and 7-10 psi is safe. Yea it wouldnt be bad to get a nissan 240sx and drop in a sr20det motor for RWD but id stil take the honda for its handling.

I dont care if its a built motor, its still not desiged for a turbo. If u build it to be desigined u have to do more then build it up. u may have to do some cutting for all the plumbing and blah blah(dont feal like going over the list) And the srt-4 can match it no problem. through and a mbc and ur all good. You can run 15 psi on a 4g63 or a srt-4 engine and be safe. The man thing is that yeah u can get a honda to put out some nice numbers, but it'll take a lot of work and a lot of money to get to the point of where a stock turbo car would be at. Oh yea and hondas handle like shit. i drove one, for a auto-x a few times. it sucked. I have lots of friends that have real nice hondas, put a lot of money into them--all engine stuff-- and they still cant achive what they want

Egg Nog
02-24-2004, 08:53 PM

Sorry about the 1.8 litre thing... I don't really focus much energy into memorizing Japanese engine codes. Anyway ,the fact is, you're still turbocharging an engine that wasn't designed for it. You're point was that its the best performance for the money, which is completely untrue. If you have to spend loads of money pulling the engine, taking it apart, and building it up it just so that it'll be able to take all the stress you're going to put on it, it's not generally a great idea financially.

In the end, you still end up with a FWD car without a Limited-Slip differential to handle your added power. You say you'd prefer the handling of the Honda? What would you define this as? A car designed to be a people mover that understeers to no end? I suppose you'd respond with the argument of lowering springs/coilovers/etc, right? Well, there's you go...just throw a whole bunch more money at it... best bang-for-the-buck alright :rolleyes:

mooseTSi
02-25-2004, 10:10 AM
In the end, you still end up with a FWD car without a Limited-Slip differential to handle your added power. You say you'd prefer the handling of the Honda? What would you define this as? A car designed to be a people mover that understeers to no end? I suppose you'd respond with the argument of lowering springs/coilovers/etc, right? Well, there's you go...just throw a whole bunch more money at it... best bang-for-the-buck alright :rolleyes:

couldnt have said that better myself ;)

Matra et Alpine
02-25-2004, 10:23 AM
You say you'd prefer the handling of the Honda? What would you define this as? A car designed to be a people mover that understeers to no end? I suppose you'd respond with the argument of lowering springs/coilovers/etc, right? Well, there's you go...just throw a whole bunch more money at it... best bang-for-the-buck alright :rolleyes:
Again, it may be different setups for the different continents.. BUT ...

The handling of the new Civic Type-R and performance are amazing.

Outing at Knockhill last year and one of the guys turned up with it.
ALL that he had done to it was to replace the silencer box and the filter with a K&N. NOTHING done to the EVU or any other gubbins.

Well I hate to say it was fast.
He was lapping not far short of the best.
Yep, he was even up on the Imprezza - it was standard.

Yes, it's "classic" fwd with understeer into and power oversteer out. So it took driving skill, but the handling meant he kept a good pace through the corners.

It's on my list of cars to check out when replacing the family car :)
( 2 5'10" girls don't easily fit in the back of an Alpine and the Bag only takes 3 !! )

However, I think it starts from a well-sorted position and as you say trying to make it a lot faster would involve LOTS of upgrades and expense.

mooseTSi
02-25-2004, 10:31 AM
i agree with u that the type-r most likeley handles far better the the si or ex we have here in the states. I am mostley talking about stock for stock. u dont pick a honda at least a civic for its handling. I am sure the handling can be fix with all the right fixin's, but its still not a car i would choose for handling. And i would love to try out the new type r at a auto-x to see how she does. to bad we dont get them here :(

Matra et Alpine
02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
i agree with u that the type-r most likeley handles far better the the si or ex we have here in the states. I am mostley talking about stock for stock. u dont pick a honda at least a civic for its handling. I am sure the handling can be fix with all the right fixin's, but its still not a car i would choose for handling. And i would love to try out the new type r at a auto-x to see how she does. to bad we dont get them here :(
ah OK, that explains a lot.
The type-R Civic is VERY common here.
Anyone with a bit of car sport in their blood is buying a Type R right now. They're selling really well.
Shame you guys don't get them as standard !!
This comes up often when there's a difference. We find that we've got a different setup than the rubbish they foist on you.
We get a whole range of cars that you'll never have the fun of trying to pick from.
Putting pure sportscars aside, we've - - Citroen Saxo, Xzara, Peugeot 206, 307, Renault Clio 182, V6, Alfa 147 etc etc that the Honda imports have to compete with. Lots of nice fast cars setup by the manufacturers to be fast and handle well. 'Course that doesn't stop after market modifications to go faster, handle better and sit even lower :)

The Type-Rs COME fixed.
Don't know why they wouldn't offer them unless it's some rule to protect US auto industry.
:) :) Can't have "people carriers" that outdrive sportscars can we :):)

mooseTSi
02-25-2004, 02:12 PM
yeah we miss out on a lot of cars. from really good performance vechicles to luxury. all we get are the left overs HA. i would love to drive a 206 or the v6 clio. Whats even worse is that i live in Detroit(motor city) all the big 3 are right here. almost everone on my street works for ford, gm or chrys. So u dont see a whole lot of nice "Import" cars. and u r right theres gotta be a rule to protect the US auto industry :D