PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to learn how to make pasta?!

my porsche
07-12-2005, 10:13 AM
ok well i made a pictorial, tagliatelle with a meditaranean sauce and sausage with fresh mozzarella, so sit back, pay attention and impress someone with it (girlfriend, wife, partner parents etc)

Serves 3:
first off you will need:
for pasta:
-3 eggs
-3 cups of pasta flour
-very warm (not hot) water

For sauce:
-2 links of sausage (your choice on what kind, but not too meaty or strong flavour)
-mushrooms (sliced)
-1 clove garlic (minced)
-small peice of shallot, sliced
-roasted red peppers, about a cups (measuring not drinking!) worth of them once they are sliced
-about 3 stems rosemary (take off the leaves by grabbing the non-stem end with one hand, and taking the other hand and ripping off the leaves down towards the stem)
-about 15 leaves sage, roll about 7 up into a "cigar" that is length wise, and then slice about 1/8" thick
-sliced black olives

(give me some time to making the next few posts please but post away, i dont care about that)

my porsche
07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
no you need to make a "well" in the pile of flour, break the eggs and put them in the well, using a fork stir it togetther until well mixed, adding warm water as needed until you have a stiffish barely sticky dough

knead the dough for 10-15 minutes (watch tv or something to take your mind off of the actual kneading)

wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refridgerate until ready to use (min:half hour, max: one day)

while your waiting you can prepare your vegetables and sausage, slice everything however thick you want it, thicker will be more rustic and take slightly longer to cook, thinner mor romantic and quicker

set aside 3 mushrooms for presentation on the plates, peel them (take a small paring knife and pinch the skin at the base of the shroom in between the blade and your thrumb, and just peel straight back)

my porsche
07-12-2005, 10:29 AM
now to each of these mushrooms carve out slices evenly around it (see picture)

get the pasta dough out of the refridgerator

on a well floured surface begin rolling out half of the dough, once it is about half an inch thick, fold it over (dont repeart this step again with THIS half of the pasta) once it is about 1/16" thick cut it into a 8"x15" rectangle (keeping the excess to re-use) KEEP THE SURFACE AND PASTA ALWAYS WELL FLOURED once it is that size roll i into a small rectangle 8"x3" repeat with all of the pasta dough

once it is all done put in the refridgerator and begin sauteing the sausage, once it is well browned (use smokes sausage so all you have to do is heat it and crisp it up a littele) toss in the rest of the ingrediants and saute using olive oil, only about a 1/4 cup because the mushrooms will make water

stay tuned, im going to the market now, this lesson will be continued when i return :D

my porsche
07-12-2005, 12:56 PM
ahh screw it anyone who wants to learn how to make it can pm me :D

McLareN
07-12-2005, 01:05 PM

...Or you can go here: http://italianfood.about.com/od/pastarecipesandsauces/a/blr0001.htm :p

Matra et Alpine
07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Alternatively we know never to interrupt a master while he's creating.

Was waiting till the end :) I coudl never get home-made pasta to taste decent. Always too floury. We await the 'boss' returnign toth ekitche.

Either that or I'll start my Gordon Ramsay impressions :)
"SWEARING may be banned from Gordon Ramsay's new TV show and Ramsay is far from happy at the news. On hearing that he may have to curb his swearing, he said: "We're f***** then, aren't we?"

IWantAnAudiRS6
07-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I've got an idea.

Tesco's do these great things called READY MEALS and FRESH PASTA. Awesome stuff :)

Matra et Alpine
07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
I've got an idea.

Tesco's do these great things called READY MEALS and FRESH PASTA. Awesome stuff :)
yuk :( FRESHLY made pasta is wonderful.
One of the engineers who worked for me many years ago was antive Italian and his Pasta was somethign else.
Yes the Tesco pasta is better than the dried slabs, but the difference is the same again to real freshly made.

my porsche
07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Alternatively we know never to interrupt a master while he's creating.

Was waiting till the end :) I coudl never get home-made pasta to taste decent. Always too floury. We await the 'boss' returnign toth ekitche.

Either that or I'll start my Gordon Ramsay impressions :)
"SWEARING may be banned from Gordon Ramsay's new TV show and Ramsay is far from happy at the news. On hearing that he may have to curb his swearing, he said: "We're f***** then, aren't we?"
oh my bad, i assumed by the lack of interest there was no interest, ok i will finish it then!

"i want the ****ing beautiful rissotos!! move your ass!!"

sam:yeah but you dont get the satisfaction! i could go out and buy most of the stuff i make, but to eat at a comperable restaraunt (not bragging, going on comments ive had from people i cook for) would cost about $100 a head without wine, and the satisfaction you get is a huge reason why i cook!

Niko_Fx
07-12-2005, 03:25 PM
So far so good MP :) Everything looks great.

my porsche
07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Short bills and long tagliatelle, say the people of Bologna, knowing whereof they speak, for long bills frighten husbands, while short tagliatelle are proof of the inexperience of the person who made them, and look like left-overs when served,"

^from the link someone posted here, notice how long mine are :D

ok now you will want to do is put a large pot (or what i did, one medium one small) of water with some salt, not much, on the stove and get it to a big boil, while its heating, take out the pasta dough and continue sauteing your veg.

cut the dough inot strips about 1" wide, or any width you please, but any wider is kind of hard to eat :)

you can get out and slice your mozzarella now (picture is of the "boob" mozzarella :D )

lay out your pasta once it is cut on a baking rack or something similar (see picture) put it in the fridge to stay cool and also to semi-dry

everynow and then add more olive oil as needed, and stir it around to make sure it is getting cooked evenly, you can flip it if youve ever done it before, but if not try and learn on something like a crepe or pancake :D

once the water is boiling take out the pasta and put it in the pot(S) you will need to cook it much less than store bought dried pasta because it is moist, about 4-5 minutes for this large quantity, at about 3 minutes take out a small piece and bite it, it should be cooked almost all the way through, wait another minute and its done

spi-ti-tout
07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey MP, what you say you, me, taz, and Sam, join up together and you teach us three how to cook ? ;)

my porsche
07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
your almost done:

you can either serve the pasta and then put the vegetables on top or stir it together, personal prefernce, i stirred it together

gernishing is optional and if you choose to garnish you by no means have to do it how i did it, basically take 6 (i think the picture has 5) slices of mozzarella and put them on top and then put a leftover sage leave on top, add wine and serve :)

any questions? :p

my porsche
07-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey MP, what you say you, me, taz, and Sam, join up together and you teach us three how to cook ? ;)
sure! if you think you can learn to cookm over the internet, i would me more than happy to, only problem is finding a time when all 4 of us are online!

ive sent taz some stuff to make for his lady friends before :D

matra: your right fresh is heaps better! i thinke veryone should at least try this, cuz if you get it right you will never want to go back to dried again!

my porsche
07-12-2005, 05:48 PM
ive got a surprise coming in about an hour :D

whiteballz
07-12-2005, 05:52 PM
diorhea?

well.. i guess it IS a surprise...

nice pasta.. i make better :P :D

my porsche
07-12-2005, 06:08 PM
whiteballz, there are just somethings you dont talk about in a food conversation :D

targa
07-12-2005, 07:47 PM
i have a much, much easier way of making pasta

i walk into the resturant where i work and say to one of the chefs, "make me some pasta, bitch."

taz_rocks_miami
07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Great recipe Colin!! Maybe I'll get to make this for Silvia sometime...if I ever get the chance :(

targa
07-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Great recipe Colin!! Maybe I'll get to make this for Silvia sometime...if I ever get the chance :(its posts like this that make me wonder....do these people actually talk to one another outside of UCP on a regualr basis?

my porsche
07-12-2005, 08:46 PM
its posts like this that make me wonder....do these people actually talk to one another outside of UCP on a regualr basis?
yes we do, pretty much everyday, except we use the PM function, cuz he has msn or yahoo and i have aim and neither of us wants to change :D

spi-ti-tout
07-13-2005, 02:11 AM
matra: your right fresh is heaps better! i thinke veryone should at least try this, cuz if you get it right you will never want to go back to dried again!
I would, but everytime I go into the kitchen my mom throws me out because she's afraid that I'll touch the gas oven and the house will automatically blow up :(