PDA

View Full Version : Ten tenths in one tenth

tenthmodeler
07-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Hello to all,
Although I'm not fortunate enough to actually own the full size classics that grace this forum, I'm still very glad to have found this site. I've built a few static models over the years and have recently moved to larger scale R/C car based projects with a great deal of scratchbuilding in plastic. Here are some of the past projects:
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA (based on Tamiya's 1/10th scale R/C car kit)
Starting off with a clear polycarbonate shell and an old M02-M chassis, I cut open the hood and the trunk, and scratchbuilt all of the details out of styrene plastic. I didn't have enough reference photos so the trunk area is a bit off and some of the markings are a little bit odd.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Alfa%20Giulia%20Sprint%20GTA/Alfadetails05.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Alfa%20Giulia%20Sprint%20GTA/Alfadetails01.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Alfa%20Giulia%20Sprint%20GTA/Alfadetails02.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Alfa%20Giulia%20Sprint%20GTA/Alfadetails03.jpg

Another similar build:
Mazda Eunos (Miata) Roadster (based on Tamiya's 1/10th scale R/C car kit)
Better build quality this time and I incorporated an opening driver's dooer with functional door latches
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Mazda%20Eunos/ProjectMiyatabuild-up172.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Mazda%20Eunos/ProjectMiyatabuild-up173.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Mazda%20Eunos/ProjectMiyatabuild-up175.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Mazda%20Eunos/ProjectMiyatabuild-up176.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Mazda%20Eunos/ProjectMiyatabuild-up177.jpg

Currently on the workbench:
1/8th scale Porsche 930 engine (as fitted to the 935/76 factory race car), two Alfa Romeo Giulia GTA's, an Alpine A110 and a Calsonic Skyline GTR (2003 JGTC). My biggest problem is finding enough reference materials (drawings and photographs) so I'm very glad to have found this forum. I hope you get a kick out of my projects. Cheers.
Mike Villena

Suka
07-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Wow, those are awesome! Great job, you will definatly have many fans on this site.
I love the fact that you have included working door latches into a car, very dedicated. Personally i think the people in the cars spoil the look, but hey, thats just my honest opinion.

tenthmodeler
07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey Suka,
Thanks for the compliments. I decided to include driver figures (heavily modified vinyl action figures btw) because these cars are full function R/C cars that I built for the Tamiya Championship Series "Best of Show" concourse competition. I thought they would look a little silly running around the course without driver figures. Besides, I had to hide the running gear (radio gear, batteries and speed control) which was very challenging in the case of the Eunos because of the very visible driver's compartment. The static Alfa Romeo Giulia GTA in the works won't have a driver figure. Thanks.
Mike Villena

Suka
07-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah i understand that. I almost got into R/C racing. I have a Tamiya TL-01 chassis upstairs, along with some custom buggies. Never got round to going to a race though, just held a few with friends at the local primary school. My Dad was friendly with the caretaker so he gave us permission to use the perfect surface that was the playground, freshly re-surfaced!

Matra et Alpine
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Excellent work.

Any more ?? I want to see more details if poss and talk us through scratch buliding the interior and details ?

BUT, can you please include images as attachments. It's better for dial-up users and it lsets us broadband ones get access to MUCH more detailed pics :)

Tamiya Mini and A110 (no surprise to fellow UCPers) in my collection. Let's me switch between FWD and RWD for fun :)

tenthmodeler
07-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah i understand that. I almost got into R/C racing. I have a Tamiya TL-01 chassis upstairs, along with some custom buggies. Never got round to going to a race though, just held a few with friends at the local primary school. My Dad was friendly with the caretaker so he gave us permission to use the perfect surface that was the playground, freshly re-surfaced!
Hey Suka,
I'm glad I'm not the only r/c'r here on this forum. I've got a brace of TL-01's, several M02-M's, -S, and -L's, an M04-L and I've just added a new TT-01. R/C is fun, regardless of whether you compete in structured races or just "bash" around with your friends. Freshly tarred parking lot you say? YOU LUCKY DOG! Those are a great deal of fun to play around on, although mind the little pebbles that find their way into gearboxes...crunch! (non-music to any gearhead's ears). See you later.
Mike Villena

ruim20
07-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Great work :) very good indeed.

tenthmodeler
07-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Excellent work.

Any more ?? I want to see more details if poss and talk us through scratch buliding the interior and details ?

BUT, can you please include images as attachments. It's better for dial-up users and it lsets us broadband ones get access to MUCH more detailed pics :)

Tamiya Mini and A110 (no surprise to fellow UCPers) in my collection. Let's me switch between FWD and RWD for fun :)

Hi Matra et Alpine,
Merci. I've submitted build notes and "step by step"s on the Eunos Roadster and other misc. projects on another forum..(out of courtesy to this forum, I won't mention the name here) but I'll be happy to send you the forum name if you wish to PM me. I also have over 150 photos of the Eunos build on file so I can e-mail those to you as well.
I'm afraid I'm not very well informed on internet procedures so I don't know how to do attachments on this forum. I only know how to use an image hosting site. I'll have to look into that.
I'm happy to see that you also own a Tamiya Mini (I'm guessing an M01 or M02-S based on your owning an Alpine A110). As I have mentioned to Suka, I own several Tamiya Minis. I also have three Alpine A110 bodyshells, one is absolutely pristine and unpainted and will be the basis for a full detail static 1/10th scale project, maybe a "longtail" A110? You wouldn't happen to know where I can lay my hands on some reference photographs, would you?

;)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/alpine.jpg
Cheers!
Mike Villena

Suka
07-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Hey Suka,
I'm glad I'm not the only r/c'r here on this forum. I've got a brace of TL-01's, several M02-M's, -S, and -L's, an M04-L and I've just added a new TT-01. R/C is fun, regardless of whether you compete in structured races or just "bash" around with your friends. Freshly tarred parking lot you say? YOU LUCKY DOG! Those are a great deal of fun to play around on, although mind the little pebbles that find their way into gearboxes...crunch! (non-music to any gearhead's ears). See you later.
Mike Villena
Yeah well, i used to remove the driveshaft of my TL-01 and seal up the gearbox so that it was rear wheel drive then take it onto this huge dust patch to have fun on.

Suka
07-13-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm afraid I'm not very well informed on internet procedures so I don't know how to do attachments on this forum. I only know how to use an image hosting site. I'll have to look into that.
If you take a look below the box that you type in, you will see a button that says 'Manage Attachments' Click it, its pretty self explanatory from there on in.

Matra et Alpine
07-13-2005, 03:22 AM
Hi Matra et Alpine,
Merci. I've submitted build notes and "step by step"s on the Eunos Roadster and other misc. projects on another forum..(out of courtesy to this forum, I won't mention the name here)
Well UCP doesn't mind the link to other sites for additional info.
It's the blatant "give nothing to UCPers but a link to another site" that can get the flak.
I tihnk it woudl be just fine to post the link to the R/C forum here - especially as UCP doesnt' ahve it's own R/C one :)

I also have three Alpine A110 bodyshells, one is absolutely pristine and unpainted
ha-ha, me TOO :)
Seeing the work you do, I'm now thinking I might try to emulate and build a detailed model !!

maybe a "longtail" A110? You wouldn't happen to know where I can lay my hands on some reference photographs, would you?
Just possibly :)
If you would please put your approximate location in your UCP profile then you MIGHT be lucky and I may know one near to you. ( The "User CP" option at the top will take you to wher you can change it )
On photos, not a problem. Do you want anything specific or just everything I can lay my hands on ? If you can identify a specific variant ( there were a few differences ) from a specific event then I might even be able to trace down the car for you :) Alpine owners are a great bunch and if we can identify the car then I could possibly get a full set of digi images from the owner of the deatil you require - owners LOVE to see models of their beauties :) [ If you ever want to do a scratch-built A610 I'd love to see it :) ]

;)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/alpine.jpg
Cheers!
Mike Villena
Her to help.

Any detailed shots of that A110 around ?

I cannot get over that you manage to add that level of detail AND retain the funcitoning R/C !!! SKILL :)

woodstock827
07-13-2005, 08:25 AM
so u'r saying that these models actually can run??? wow!
i thought there wouldn't be enough space inside... :P
they're AMAZING!

tenthmodeler
07-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey guys,
I'm going to try this attachement thing and see if this works.
Ah, it seems to have worked. Wow, I guess the forum doesn't have any limits on attachment file sizes, unlike the other forum which forced me to use an image hosting site. Cool. Anyway, the pics are of the Eunos build in various stages. Because the Tamiya Championship Series regulations prohibit any modifications to the chassis, I had to plan and build around a stock M02-M chassis. The only leeway I had was the minimum number of cells to power the car (TCS Rules didn't specify any minimum, just a maximum of 6) so I built the car around 4 cells to make as much room for the driver's compartment. More pics to follow.

Thanks for the tip Suka :D

tenthmodeler
07-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey Matra et Alpine,
Thanks for the generous offer. I live in the Midwestern United States in a very small town so it's not likely I'd run into anything near exotic (everyone here drives a pick-up truck). Makes me sorry that I didn't hold onto the two Renault R5's that I own had, would have been the talk of the town. Once upon a time, I had been a mechanic in Chicago that catered to "unusual" cars: Citroen 2CV's, a Mahari (spelling?), a few A310's and R-5 Turbos (blasted headgaskets!!@#$%!!!!!), a Citroen-Maserati (never could get the suspension to work right!) and a brace of Porsches. Anyway, it looks like I'll have to rely on "on-line" researching to find what I need. It is nice to know that there are enthusiasts out there that are generous and kind enough to share their knowledge. Oh, and about your doing up a highly detailed A110, GO FOR IT!!! Hey, if I can do this sort of stuff, anyone can! Cheers!!
Mike Villena
PS: The earlier reference of a "longtail" A110 stems from a vague recollection of an old Heller model kit from the 70's. I'm not entirely sure so I could be wrong. As you can tell, I have a soft spot for French automobiles (I still miss the old R5 with the foot pump operated windshield washer and the fabric sunroof).

tenthmodeler
07-13-2005, 04:20 PM
so u'r saying that these models actually can run??? wow!
i thought there wouldn't be enough space inside... :P
they're AMAZING!
Hey woodstock,
Yes, they are full function Tamiya TCS cars built on stock Tamiya mini chassis. It is a little challenging to try and cram everything in there, but it can be done. I'm moving to the larger TT-01 chassis for the next TCS project car so I'll have a bit more room.

The first picture shows the old girl running the course. This is required to satisfy TCS Best of Show requirements. The picture is a little blurry as the Eunos was surprisingly quick even when running on just 4 cells. The venue is S&N Trackside Hobbies in Wisconsin and the TCS race was held earlier this year. Both the Eunos and the Alfa Giulia Sprint GTA won their respective "Best of Show" categories.

Mike Villena

tenthmodeler
07-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Here are some photos of what's on the workbench:
This is the project 930 engine in 1/8th scale. I had some good reference photos of just the crankcase and the rest was extrapolated from a somewhat confusing single view assembly section drawing that I lifted from an old Porsche book.
Needless to say, everything was scratchbuilt from Evergreen styrene plastic.
Ooops, almost forgot...the other site is www.rccaraction.com and my entries can be found in the forums area under "Bodies - Painting and Detailing" and user name of mikevillena. You might have to go back a page or two since I haven't posted in a few days.

Matra et Alpine
07-14-2005, 04:57 AM
PS: The earlier reference of a "longtail" A110 stems from a vague recollection of an old Heller model kit from the 70's. I'm not entirely sure so I could be wrong.
hmm, there were long tail A110 track specisla, but I think you might mean the A210.
Is it the one mentioned here -- http://www.renault-alpine.com/modell39.shtm ??

I've a few historic pics of the A210 in the pits at Le Mans.
There is also one that competes in the Classic Le Mans, Wouter may have some pics and certainly a google will turn up a few.

There is a guy in Ilinois currently building a FULL SCALE replica of the A210.
If it's that one you want to scratch build then you could do a wee trip and see what he has. I'm presusiming he must have factory drawings :)
EDIT: see http://www.historicracecar.com/index.htm

PS: I've a couple of the A210's in my "kit stash", but too small a scale to help I tihnk. But happy to assist in any way.

henk4
07-14-2005, 09:17 AM
PS: The earlier reference of a "longtail" A110 stems from a vague recollection of an old Heller model kit from the 70's. I'm not entirely sure so I could be wrong. As you can tell, I have a soft spot for French automobiles (I still miss the old R5 with the foot pump operated windshield washer and the fabric sunroof).

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2691

the longtail is in there :)

tenthmodeler
07-15-2005, 07:10 AM
hmm, there were long tail A110 track specisla, but I think you might mean the A210.
Is it the one mentioned here -- http://www.renault-alpine.com/modell39.shtm ??

I've a few historic pics of the A210 in the pits at Le Mans.
There is also one that competes in the Classic Le Mans, Wouter may have some pics and certainly a google will turn up a few.

There is a guy in Ilinois currently building a FULL SCALE replica of the A210.
If it's that one you want to scratch build then you could do a wee trip and see what he has. I'm presusiming he must have factory drawings :)
EDIT: see http://www.historicracecar.com/index.htm

PS: I've a couple of the A210's in my "kit stash", but too small a scale to help I tihnk. But happy to assist in any way.
That's the one!!! Alpine A210!!!!
Wow, the fact that someone in Illinois is actually working on something that is relatively obscure really blows me away. What is equally amazing is your depth of sources and of course, your kit stash. The only Alpine model I have on hand is the Fujimi 1/20th scale Alpine A310 V-6 (Monte Carlo) still unbuilt for lack of an instruction sheet. As to scratchbuilding an A210 in 1/10th, I have those two painted A110 bodyshells that I could possibly rework. The biggest hurdle would be references. How vastly different are the two cars (bodywork and mechanicals)? Hmmm...could be a real challenge, but then againn, I'm in the midst of scratchbuilding that Porsche engine so... Anyway, thanks for the info. I still have to work up the nerve to contact Msr. Boode so I'll let you know.
Mike Villena
PS. Didn't Tamiya release an Alpine A110 kit in 1/24th recently?

tenthmodeler
07-15-2005, 07:15 AM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2691

the longtail is in there :)
Hey henk4,
You are correct!!! Oddly enough, my recollection was from a very rare AMT double kit that I had seen sometime in the 80's. AMT actually released some of the Heller 1/24th scale cars domestically (in the U.S.) as double kits back in the late 60's and early 70's. I once had the Porsche 907(?) and Ferrari 330 P4 double kit. Being ignorant, I built the kits and then traded them away many years ago! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID me!!!!

tenthmodeler
07-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Evidently, the mods at RC CAR ACTION's forum has put my build notes away on archive so I'll have to write a fresh set. I'll post them here as soon as they are finished.

henk4
07-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Hey henk4,
You are correct!!! Oddly enough, my recollection was from a very rare AMT double kit that I had seen sometime in the 80's. AMT actually released some of the Heller 1/24th scale cars domestically (in the U.S.) as double kits back in the late 60's and early 70's. I once had the Porsche 907(?) and Ferrari 330 P4 double kit. Being ignorant, I built the kits and then traded them away many years ago! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID me!!!!

Porsche 908, the P4 was later reissued by Union and can still be found regularly, an amazing kit.
Tamiya has just issued an A110 which is no more than their previous A110 with some additional Cartograph stickers to depict a Monte Carlo participating car.

Matra et Alpine
07-15-2005, 08:24 AM
That's the one!!! Alpine A210!!!!
Wow, the fact that someone in Illinois is actually working on something that is relatively obscure really blows me away.
One of the reasons I *USED* to always bang on about putting location in peoples UCP profile.
It takes 10 seconds and means you can get LOTS of info like that !!

What is equally amazing is your depth of sources and of course, your kit stash.
The nic ( and the age ) aren't just for fun :)

The only Alpine model I have on hand is the Fujimi 1/20th scale Alpine A310 V-6 (Monte Carlo) still unbuilt for lack of an instruction sheet.
hmmm.... It's not at the front of my "stash" :) I'll need to go digging.
Do you mean this one ??
http://www.renault-alpine.com/images/m-3106-2-5.jpg
If , yes, I'll get the instructions scanned and e-mail them.

As to scratchbuilding an A210 in 1/10th, I have those two painted A110 bodyshells that I could possibly rework. The biggest hurdle would be references. How vastly different are the two cars (bodywork and mechanicals)? Hmmm...could be a real challenge
The best reference would be the "yellow" Alpine book.
Fracnois Hurel's "Alpine at Le Mans" has some facts and lots of pics. Again, I can get bits for you, but wuth >30 pages devoted to the A210 it coudl take a while :)
There's quite a lot of difference between the A110 and the A210 and if you get into suspension details then it can get HUGE - some A210s ran with hydropneumatic suspension :)
The body details are sufficiently different that I think you'd have trouble modelling the 3d curves. BUT having seen some of the work maybe not, eh :)
The Mille Miles magazine featured the A210 in No2. Sadly I dont' have that one, but coudl ask around guys in the club. Someone will :)

PS. Didn't Tamiya release an Alpine A110 kit in 1/24th recently?
It's been around for ages, may have gone out of production and re-released recently though !! A nice kit of a standard A110. With your skills I'd love to try a full on GrpIV rally AND race version ( with long tail ). I await your "guide" with interest and awe !!

henk4
07-15-2005, 08:26 AM
The only Alpine model I have on hand is the Fujimi 1/20th scale Alpine A310 V-6 (Monte Carlo) still unbuilt for lack of an instruction sheet.

I could send you a copy :)

Matra et Alpine
07-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Pieter's copy is more accessible than mine - the downside of too-large-a-stash-not-enough cupboards :)

Here are pics from the 2 A210 kits I have. Any details I can glean from those, pics of sprues, instructions etc, just let me know.

Some basic info at http://www.renault.com/gb/passion/collection.cfm?page=61966_alpinetypea210

henk4
07-15-2005, 09:12 AM
I found my copy, pm/mail me to see how we can go from here.

tenthmodeler
07-16-2005, 05:05 AM
Hey gang,
I'm currently uploading over 50 images at the inage hosting site for the Eunos step-by-step build up, so it might take a while. I'll be back.