PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 mile car choice

elfonkuete
01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
i had a discussionn with a co worker about what car i would choose if i had unlimited amt of money for a 1/4 mile. then i got all into it about street or strip and a whole lot of other things. basically i chose a jap car and he chose a muscle car. i thought bull**it. on the strip right now, muscle cars might be dominating (imports are quickly catching up though) but on the street imports are better. you can actually drive the car there and race not tow a muscle car there bc it has slicks on. ne ways i wanted to know what other ppl thought and what car they would choose.

Egg Nog
01-26-2004, 03:26 PM
Well, it's difficult to say because you said an unlimited amount of money. Personally, I'd just buy a Top Fuel Dragster.

As far as drag performance-per-dollar goes, you really can't beat an older Ford Fox-Bodied Mustang, with the 5.0 V8. They're dirt cheap, and they can haul ass for very little. Also, they have an pretty damn good stock RWD rear end setup. For the same power-to-weight ratio, it could kill a FWD car.

EDIT: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

NAZCA C2
01-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I would take a muscle car or a late model Camaro, something with a big V8. You get more consistency with a big naturally aspirated V8 with rear wheel drive. To make power with something like a Supra you have to use a turbo with a lot of boost which makes a lot of lag and therefore isn't consistent. I know a guy with a 700hp Supra, its real fast but wouldn't be a good 1/4 mile car because once the boost kicks in the wheels will start to spin.

Matra et Alpine
01-26-2004, 05:14 PM
To make power with something like a Supra you have to use a turbo with a lot of boost which makes a lot of lag and therefore isn't consistent. I know a guy with a 700hp Supra, its real fast but wouldn't be a good 1/4 mile car because once the boost kicks in the wheels will start to spin.
Was in agreement until the tirbo comment.
Modern turbos and materials make it possible to have a twin turbo setup which reduces lag significantly. But it's harder ( and more expensive ) to plumb in :)
He needs to fit an auto box.
Local drag strip NIssan 300ZX has been seeing off most of the 'classic' cars.
The auto box lets him wind up the engine (and turbos) before he launches.
DIfferent technique needed. With a big torquey V* you engage a gear and THEN floor it. Turbo's are closer to race start requirements where clutch control is needed to prevent wheel spin ( and a competition clutch :)
But if I was spending my own money to make a drag car, I would start with a V8 !!!!

G-power
01-27-2004, 02:30 AM
The NIssan Skyline is the Ultimate 1/4 mile car.. the car can easily get 1000 bhP and is 4 wheeled driven..

Matra et Alpine
01-27-2004, 05:21 AM
The NIssan Skyline is the Ultimate 1/4 mile car.. the car can easily get 1000 bhP and is 4 wheeled driven..
Agreed if you want to drive the car to the track.
But as EggNog pointed out, for the fastest 1/4 mile get a top fuel dragster :)

fpv_gtho
01-27-2004, 06:23 AM
if i had unlimited funds, i'd more than likely get a new BA falcon and supercharge the DOHC 5.4L V8 in it. being cast iron block it would more than likely stand up to anything i'd throw at it and after im finished stripping all the weight out of it, the huge mutha of an engine up front should keep the nose down when it comes time to launch it, hopefully. if i had to go something smaller i think i'd put a supercharged 302 in an old Capri GT500

elfonkuete
01-27-2004, 06:33 AM
I thank all of you for ur replies. But this is the thing with the top fuel dragster. My co worker said street 1/4. Most of the time drag radials aren't or can't even be used on the street. thanks for the remarks though. id like to say that im not putting down muscle cars. i like a lot of them. but now that i think of it, if i had an unlimited amt of $ why not get like a porsche or a ferrari or even a mclaren and just enhance their already impressive capabilities.

NAZCA C2
01-27-2004, 11:39 AM
I thank all of you for ur replies. But this is the thing with the top fuel dragster. My co worker said street 1/4. Most of the time drag radials aren't or can't even be used on the street. thanks for the remarks though. id like to say that im not putting down muscle cars. i like a lot of them. but now that i think of it, if i had an unlimited amt of $ why not get like a porsche or a ferrari or even a mclaren and just enhance their already impressive capabilities.

you can upgrade most porsches and ferarris but it would be a sin to try and improve the Mclaren.

Ferrari Tifosi
01-28-2004, 11:21 AM
I would say something like a Dodge Charger R/T or a Hemi Cuda. The have big engines, RWD, lots of torque, perfect for the dragstrip.

NoOne
01-28-2004, 11:46 AM
RWD ...definitely !!!

When I see John Force or Doug Kalitta stage in a FWD or AWD then I might change my opinion.

FWD can't launch as hard as RWD because the weight transfers off the drive wheels.

AWD is great for launching but it then has to carry that driveline loss the rest of the way down the track.

I will concede that imports are getting faster, they can't launch as hard as RWD, but their driveline is more efficient once it is "hooked up" and accelerating.

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2004, 12:01 PM
When I see John Force or Doug Kalitta stage in a FWD or AWD then I might change my opinion.
elfonkuete has already pointed out it's not top fuel dragsters.
So that's john and Doug's choice for 1/4 irrelevant :)

NoOne
01-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I did read that, and the reason I mentioned it anyway, was to point out the best drivetrain layout for the best possible results. If FWD were better for 1/4 mile acceleration, we would see it from amateur street/strip racers all the way up to the top professionals.

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2004, 12:23 PM
I did read that, and the reason I mentioned it anyway, was to point out the best drivetrain layout for the best possible results. If FWD were better for 1/4 mile acceleration, we would see it from amateur street/strip racers all the way up to the top professionals.
OK, but I'd never argue an FWD.\
An AWD makes a good street compromise especially with bullet-proof drivetrain like the Skyline. Or the lighter weight of a Scooby or EVO

davidpnut
02-05-2004, 05:14 PM
I would take a muscle car or a late model Camaro, something with a big V8. You get more consistency with a big naturally aspirated V8 with rear wheel drive. To make power with something like a Supra you have to use a turbo with a lot of boost which makes a lot of lag and therefore isn't consistent. I know a guy with a 700hp Supra, its real fast but wouldn't be a good 1/4 mile car because once the boost kicks in the wheels will start to spin.
Why not put performance high-grip tires on it, so the wheels wont spin?
Or, you could ad a nice spoiler or something.

Egg Nog
02-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Why not put performance high-grip tires on it, so the wheels wont spin?
Or, you could ad a nice spoiler or something.

Spoilers hardly have any effect at all at low speeds. :) No noticable difference :)

By the way, welcome to the forums. ;)

crisis
02-05-2004, 10:15 PM
TVR Cerbera Speed 12 with twin superchargers. Mainly cause I would like to hear it. Should boogie too though.

NAZCA C2
02-07-2004, 02:56 PM
TVR Cerbera Speed 12 with twin superchargers. Mainly cause I would like to hear it. Should boogie too though.

do you really need a speed 12 with turbos? the speed 12 is so fast to start with that the owner of TVR urges people not to buy the speed 12 because it is sooooo fast and powerful. but i guess it would be your funeral so whatever you want to do is fine with me.

Matra et Alpine
02-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Renault (MATRA) Espace F1 :)
Carry four people and do 0-60 in sub 3 !!!!!

Egg Nog
02-07-2004, 10:05 PM

0.9mpg and the raw, neck-snapping, wiplash-potential acceleration to prevent you from caring ;)

crisis
02-08-2004, 04:46 PM
do you really need a speed 12 with turbos? the speed 12 is so fast to start with that the owner of TVR urges people not to buy the speed 12 because it is sooooo fast and powerful. but i guess it would be your funeral so whatever you want to do is fine with me.
The question posed in this thread was what would I pick to drag race. I read that about the owner of TVR but the more I think about it the more it just sounds like good PR. Im glad you said sooo fast and powerful and not toooo fast and powerful. They'll be serving single malt at my wake.

Matra et Alpine
02-08-2004, 05:21 PM
They'll be serving single malt at my wake.
Aha a man after my heart.
Sorry to be morbid, but when are you planning it and do I get an invite ?
It better be a good one :) - or 10 or 12 :) :) :)

Smoke
02-22-2004, 07:26 PM
if it were possible to get one, the Escudo Pikes Peak Version...Any car I've come across, a 1990 Skyline GTR R32.

Doza
02-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Spoilers hardly have any effect at all at low speeds. :) No noticable difference :)

Spoilers add horsepower in the same manner stickers do. Top Fuel Dragsters go fast because of the massive spoilers some carry, and the mass of stickers all carry.
-----------
My choice for the quart would probably be the C-5 Z06. Runs 12's stock, and with about 40K, will match and/or beat the performance of most on the market.

Fleet 500
02-22-2004, 09:53 PM
I would say something like a Dodge Charger R/T or a Hemi Cuda. The have big engines, RWD, lots of torque, perfect for the dragstrip.

My choice, too. A '69 Hemi-Charger, or '70 Hemi-'Cuda or '69 440 Dart, or '69 440-6 bbl Road Runner, etc.

kko
03-07-2004, 02:53 PM
ah i laughed for a long time
neway i'd also take an old skewl muscle car
probly a chevy
or with a chevy 350 in it (very popular)
and i would use a big ass roots supercharger, mass amount o tourqe
and i just love the look of one stickin threw my hood :D

@wall
03-07-2004, 03:57 PM

As far as I knew TVR never produced the speed 12??

I have an old top gear movie of it in testing... the most amazing sound you will ever hear (a 7.7 ltr v12 at 8000rpm)

@wall
03-07-2004, 04:08 PM
for those that are interested, a force to be reckoned with... TVR Speed 12 in action

http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=330&p=6

GT500
03-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Lotus Cortina!! :D
Really, any old Ford could do it quickly, especially since they tend to generate lots of torque in a slow steady stream that just pours out when you hold the accelarator down. I mean, how can an accord compare to that? Lots of hp, not too much torque, and a light body. That still doesn't make up for the massive amount of torque a rumbling V-8 can make. (wish I had a 5.7 V8 at my disposal....) ;)

Chinky_boi
03-08-2004, 12:22 AM
well the konnizeegg will beat most of them and the mclaren as well. but if you say like modern day cars. then a muscle car can mostly wipe out most import for now. but who knows maybe in a couple years japan will wipe out something that can do 12s in stock

fpv_gtho
03-08-2004, 12:25 AM
well when you look at the effort being put into the next NSX and what Nissan are doing with the R-35 GTR Skyline, not to mention the rumours about the next generation Supra