PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Europa

sunk
07-16-2005, 07:59 PM
I had a ride in it(nice car), but can anyone tell me more?

johnnynumfiv
07-16-2005, 08:46 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1063
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=621

sunk
07-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Also something about its racing career?

taz_rocks_miami
07-16-2005, 11:58 PM
This thread took me back to my childhood in a very funny way. The very first toy car I had , maybe not the first but it stands out in my mind, was a Lotus Europa, it was green as I remember and you could open the bonnet and see the engine. Wow, I hadn't thought of that toy car in such a long time!

henk4
07-17-2005, 12:00 AM
The Lotus 47 was used by the factory during 1967 (having had its first outing on Boxing Day 1966) and 1968. It was nearly inconvincible and notable wins were the BOAC 500 in 1967 and 1968 at Brands Hatch.
An improved version was the 47A, while even more interesting was the unique 47D with a Rover V8 engine installed tuned up to 292 BHP.
The final version of the 47 shape was found in the Type 62, which had a 2-litre DOHC engine, instead of the 1600. Only 2 of those were build.

Suggested reading: The Lotus Book, by William Taylor

Suka
07-17-2005, 03:31 AM
I believe by next year we shall see a new Lotus Europa. I bought a Autocar magazine and there was a big article about lotus and some pictures of the new car testing. I might scan in the pictures if i become less lazy later.

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 03:47 AM
Europa ? I've seen PSs of the Esprit and talk of a new car of similar size/performance.

I'm not sure where a Europa-sized car would fit alongside the Exige family ?

Got any info ???

Suka
07-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Hold on...i shall go find the mag and scan it all in.

Suka
07-17-2005, 04:40 AM
Right here we go, i don't think i need to give much info as the article is included in the scan.

modena
07-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Some pics I took a while ago.

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the article !
Great news. So they are planning TWO new models.
Profits from the US sales are clearly helping their business outlook :)

Not sure about using the "Europa" name.
Mate had one, they were trouble from day one if pushed hard. Chapman had them make compononets do two jobs as per his norm for circuit racers. The used to destroy rear do'nuts and transaxles unless VERY well looked after, maintained and adjusted continuously :(

Mind you, the potential buyers of the car probably wren't even born then so likely only know what Lotus Sports will "rewrite" in the history books - it WAS a superb beast on the track :)

sunk
07-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Will it be front-engined (the new one)?

sunk
07-24-2005, 07:58 AM
The final version of the 47 shape was found in the Type 62, which had a 2-litre DOHC engine, instead of the 1600. Only 2 of those were build.

ahem i think this was the final variant of the europa.

Type 74 - Europa Twin-Cam (1971-75)

Suka
07-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Will it be front-engined (the new one)?
The article i scanned in says that the chassis is the same (practically) as the Elise so...no. It most probably will be mid-engined.

Matra et Alpine
07-24-2005, 08:19 AM
The article i scanned in says that the chassis is the same (practically) as the Elise so...no. It most probably will be mid-engined.
Front and they'd ahve resurrected the Elan name.
For the Europa it HAS to be light and mid :)
Esprit for the big heavier bruiser for the US market :D

sunk
07-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Front and they'd ahve resurrected the Elan name.
For the Europa it HAS to be light and mid :)
Esprit for the big heavier bruiser for the US market :D
The name Elan for a GT? They were quick and nimble sports
But the Espirit will be heartily welcomed here :D :)

Matra et Alpine
07-24-2005, 11:27 AM
The name Elan for a GT? They were quick and nimble sports
But the Espirit will be heartily welcomed here :D :)
I meant if they were doing a front engined sports car it woudl be the Elan.

The S 2+2 was a "GT" version of the Elan.
Family-oriented ( well as much as Lotus ever did in those days before the Eclat :) )

nota
07-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm not doubting that current Lotii are more long lasting than previous models, but geez .. the thought of it!

Traditional Lotus durability standards :eek: combined with existing Proton build quality

:D

Esperante
07-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Where these cars finished in blue from the factory at all? I'm building a model of one that I already painted a deep blue.

henk4
07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Where these cars finished in blue from the factory at all? I'm building a model of one that I already painted a deep blue.

restored examples can have any colour :)

sunk
07-25-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm not doubting that current Lotii are more long lasting than previous models, but geez .. the thought of it!

Traditional Lotus durability standards :eek: combined with existing Proton build quality

:D
Ah! come on, they must've improved their quality and stardards

However, the article says that Espirit will be built in Malaysia-im not sure how good that will be (but it will reduce costs)

AgustaF4
08-17-2005, 08:14 PM
How about 3 affordable classics: Europa, 914, Sonett. Or 3 classic Utes: FJ 40 Landcruiser, 88 inch series IIA Land Rover, Nissan Patrol L60!!

LotusChamp
08-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Hello, there is a transaxle I am interested on Ebay. Is it possible to tell if a tranny is four or five speed by looking at it?? Any help would be appreciated.

LotusLocost
08-18-2005, 02:38 PM
If you can get a picture of the inside it`s easy.. just count.
From the outside.. a bit harder.. but if you can get some spesific history and info on both types, maybe there are cosmetic diferences..
what type of tranney are you talking about?
A tranney for a Lotus Europa? What year of make? Twin Cam engien?

And by the way.. Welcome to UCP.. Good to see another Lotus fan :D

Matra et Alpine
08-18-2005, 03:26 PM
The transaxles were Renault ......
Europa Series 2 - Renault 336 4-speed transaxle (HEAVILY modified)
Europa Twincam Lotus - Renault 336 or 352 4-speed transaxle
Europa Special Lotus - Renault 365 5-speed transaxle
Europa Special Lotus - Renault 352 4-speed transaxle
T/C or Special Fitted with the Renault Fuego NG1/NG3 5 speed transaxle
The Type47 racers used a Hewland box.

IIRC the 365 is unique in having an extra mounting bracket on the rear. But I cant' remember where the markings are :( Not many Europa experts around :( Try one of the many on-line Europa and Lotus clubs, they're bound to have a list :) You only got the above because of my Renault references :D

EDIT: update .... ta-Ra, and in the Alpine-Renault competition bits I found ....... see attached image for 'box identification :)

PS: Try not to put up double threads. it can confuse. Pick ONE forum and post there, we usually pick them up. THEN if it's not after a few days you could conclude it was in the wrong forum and post anew in a different sub-forum. Cheers

LotusLocost
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Ahhhhh....
I`m looking forward to the day I holde so much useful information as you Matra. Seriously :D

Matra et Alpine
08-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Ahhhhh....
I`m looking forward to the day I holde so much useful information as you Matra. Seriously :D
A large library, VERY large discs and knowing WHERE to find things is always smarter than trying to know it all oneself :D ( oh and lots of friends to messenger on the toughies :) )
I'm only a conduit !!!

sunk
08-21-2005, 03:49 AM
How about 3 affordable classics: Europa, 914, Sonett. Or 3 classic Utes: FJ 40 Landcruiser, 88 inch series IIA Land Rover, Nissan Patrol L60!!
The Sonnett was overpriced at its time and was one of SAAB's rare mistakes : a car that didn't sell.

sunk
08-21-2005, 03:52 AM
A large library, VERY large discs and knowing WHERE to find things is always smarter than trying to know it all oneself :D ( oh and lots of friends to messenger on the toughies :) )
I'm only a conduit !!!
I'll try....

Matra et Alpine
08-21-2005, 03:59 AM
The Sonnett was overpriced at its time and was one of SAAB's rare mistakes : a car that didn't sell.
They sold extremely well.
Saab limited the Sonnet to a 2000 production run as it wasnt' core business for them. They only produced them to tap into an interested performance market that expanded out of the success of the 96 in rallying ( the Sonnet being basically the same car in a fibreglass body :) )
Sonnet II did about 8000 and AFAIK was again only ever intended as limited production.
I dont' remember Sonnet's ever sitting around the forecourts unsold :D

greg.harvey
09-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Just briefly on topic (sorry guys ;)) the Europa for me is a fascinating car. I still think it's pretty ugly, but an awesome concept (as pretty much all Chapman's projects were). I seriously considered getting one, but opted for the much prettier Elan in the end. I think they're like Marmite - with the whole love/hate thing.

Cheers,

G

Ps - My first post! :D

Delmaster
09-07-2005, 03:45 AM
so your ride is a Elan?
sounds great
any pics?

greg.harvey
09-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Sure. See attached. :)

It's the +2S, so same chassis/handling as the original Elan, but heavier with extra seats and trim. Still it has the 130bhp "big valve" engine which makes it quicker than the earlier Elan coupés, though not as quick as the later Sprint models also with the "big valve" engine but also the lighter coupé body.

G

forza_autodelta
09-07-2005, 06:09 AM
nice car , although I don't think that the two rear places could support children older than 10 years:D

henk4
09-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Sure. See attached. :)

It's the +2S, so same chassis/handling as the original Elan, but heavier with extra seats and trim. Still it has the 130bhp "big valve" engine which makes it quicker than the earlier Elan coupés, though not as quick as the later Sprint models also with the "big valve" engine but also the lighter coupé body.

G

Hi, and welcome to UCP. I think you have what it mostly considered to be a "sleeper" , as everybody would like to go for the two seater. Do you use as a daily driver or just for the weekend. (The two rear seats should be good enough for a nice amount of shopping :D )

greg.harvey
09-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks guys!

I think you have what it mostly considered to be a "sleeper" , as everybody would like to go for the two seater. Do you use as a daily driver or just for the weekend. (The two rear seats should be good enough for a nice amount of shopping :D )

Weekends only. I live on the edge of London so I don't really need a daily car. I too was really after the 2 seater (and you can get them on the budget I had) but it was a case of getting an immaculate +2 or a good coupé. I went for immaculate +2 and I have to say now I wouldn't dream of replacing it. The styling is quite different (as I'm sure you're aware) and I genuinely believe the +2 is a prettier car, but the purist in me still wants a coupé (as well as, of course) - it was the original!

Shopping is about the only thing the back seats are good for! However, believe it or not I have had 4 adults in the car. As if in protest, it burst a hose on the way home. Got back without cooking the head gasket though. ;)

G

Suka
09-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi and welcome to UCP! Its nice to see another member from Essex! You own a very nice Elan. My favorite Elan was owned by a friend of my Dads, it had slightly flared arches, it was sublime.

greg.harvey
09-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Hi, and thanks! Nice Elan. I looked a yellow one like that. The vendor was a crook though. His garage was the place Lotus' go to die and a ruder man I'm yet to meet. Oh well. :(

Anyway, I prefer them with the fixed roof like that, which is handy because they're cheaper! ;)

Suka
09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Yes it was, he has sold it now. He has bought a Hainsworth (one of a kind single seater). Here are a few more photos of the Elan and the Libra, one of the Hainsworth (from my phone) and one of my car with the Libra. :D I'm always one for a bit of showing off.

greg.harvey
09-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Hehe ... nice - you building a Super 7 style kit there?
What's your donor? I used to own a DOHC 2.0 Sierra. I sold it as an MoT scrapper for £100 then discovered 6 months later it was the perfect donor car for a 7 kit. D'oh!!! ;)

Suka
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Hehe ... nice - you building a Super 7 style kit there?
What's your donor? I used to own a DOHC 2.0 Sierra. I sold it as an MoT scrapper for £100 then discovered 6 months later it was the perfect donor car for a 7 kit. D'oh!!! ;)
Well done. It is indeed a Seven rep. The donor is a Sierra, however the engine its using is a 1.1 from a Fiesta or something. Once i have built up a bit of no-claims i can then afford to drop a Duratec, or (as Matra pointed out) a Raw power Toyota lump, since i can get more power cheaper.

D2LTA
09-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Sorry for breaking the flow of the thread but i havent been on for a while and i had to put in my bit for the Europa. I knew someone years ago in Bridgend who owned one, a Renault engined yellow car with wolfrace slots and I'm pretty sure the number plate was TAD 47.
He would take it out of the garage on weekends for a polish and I would always make a point of walking past so I could sit in it and drool.
What a fantastic looking car, the new car doesnt do the original any justice imho, I believe the Esprit was the Europa's successor, the original Esprit was another magnificent looker.

VtecMini
09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I always thought that the first Elise was supposed to be a Europa successor. Hence the Europa inspired front end styling and the mid engine...

Is there an obvious difference between the Elise and the Europa that I'm missing?

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 02:14 PM
I always thought that the first Elise was supposed to be a Europa successor. Hence the Europa inspired front end styling and the mid engine...

Is there an obvious difference between the Elise and the Europa that I'm missing?
chassis, engine layout, drivetrain, suspension configuration, shape :D