PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Cool Eurofighter pic

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 01:16 AM
It's caused quite a stir, seemingly the pilot get VERY close to ground during a display flight practice

Whether he misjudged it or intended the loop to get THIS close is uncertain but causing much discussion in the flight forums :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.blacow/riat1507/close.jpg

Mustang
07-17-2005, 01:18 AM
would it help if i told you that i knew one of the people who wrote some of the software for the eurofighter and they used to design it in the morning, go to the pub at dinner and have a "few" then come back and write it :p

fa22_raptor
07-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Holy crap! It's gotta be a mistake - noone's that crazy to fly that close to the ground. The warning systems must've been going absolutely berserk!

M3_E30
07-17-2005, 02:33 AM
It looks pretty photoshoped to me. for one thing were is the shadow of the plane on the ground?

whiteballz
07-17-2005, 03:11 AM
wow a photoshop veteran using paint to point something out... ive gotten sad :D

anyway
the RED = points of intrest (shadow and the turf being thrown around because of the thrust)
the BLUE = flight path
the GREEN = heat & THRUST from the engines, clearly explaining how the grass is flying up :D

DiabloVT
07-17-2005, 03:16 AM
$10 says maverick is behind the stick

PsychoChimp22
07-17-2005, 03:19 AM
wow a photoshop veteran using paint to point something out... ive gotten sad :D

anyway
the RED = points of intrest (shadow and the turf being thrown around because of the thrust)
the BLUE = flight path
the GREEN = heat & THRUST from the engines, clearly explaining how the grass is flying up :D

Omg, now that youve explained it, your right!!!
THATS A PHOTOSHOP FOR SURE!!!!

:p

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Holy crap! It's gotta be a mistake - noone's that crazy to fly that close to the ground. The warning systems must've been going absolutely berserk!
It's quite normal to turn off/down the warnings and limits for display flying. OTHERWISE the cockpit woudl be louder with all the alarms than the outside :)

PsychoChimp22
07-17-2005, 03:31 AM
I dought hes doing a stunt, test piolets and new piolets (as well as old and practicing ones) to low altitude stalls all the time, its goot control training to help with fighting manuvers.

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 03:43 AM
I dought hes doing a stunt, test piolets and new piolets (as well as old and practicing ones) to low altitude stalls all the time, its goot control training to help with fighting manuvers.
LOOK at the feckin photo and READ the first post.

This was a LOOP, NOBODY goes that close on a loop.
You're confusing tail-stalls with modern direcetional thrust. EVEN they arent' allowed THAT low !!!

THIS is NOT what was intended and is already causing a stir !!!

PsychoChimp22
07-17-2005, 03:47 AM

You're confusing tail-stalls with modern direcetional thrust. EVEN they arent' allowed THAT low !!!

In your first post you sounded unsure.
And wtf is up with the caps... :confused:

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 03:51 AM
In your first post you sounded unsure.
And wtf is up with the caps... :confused:
it's called EMPHASIS !!

it was to have you go LOOK at the pic and see for yourself actually how close to tthe ground he is :)

simillary the other caps were to emphasise those words to get you looking at the sitaution rather than posting an inane comment, everyoen knows that show pilots try for the maximum impact and usually also know they are constrained within strict display regulations

2ndclasscitizen
07-17-2005, 05:19 AM
i like the guy in england on flew so low at like 500mph, he hit a lamp post

sunk
07-17-2005, 06:09 AM
one thing is sure: eurofighter lives to its reputation of being a highly manuoverable aircraft.:)
All we've got are bloody heavy F-14s, F-15s, fragile F-16s.

However the neu F-22, and F-117s (stealth) should be a happy sign for us.:)

But the truth is that the Russians with Su-30, Su-35, MiG-25, MiG-31 and Su-33 are way, way ahead of us.

Coventrysucks
07-17-2005, 06:11 AM
i like the guy in england on flew so low at like 500mph, he hit a lamp post

That was in Cyprus.

I like the British Eurofighter pilot who summarily dispatched two Septic F15s who thought they'd have a bit of "fun" "shooting down" the obviously inferior European 'plane.

Why is it that anything that is even vaguely interesting is a "photoshop" these days?

"Oh look, a low flying 'plane."

"OMFG Muz be teh photoshopperz!!11onehundredandelleven!"

Sure. Because no one ever flew a 'plane close to the ground before did they?

sunk
07-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Omg, now that youve explained it, your right!!!
THATS A PHOTOSHOP FOR SURE!!!!

tsk-tsk-tsk
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p :D

d-quik
07-17-2005, 07:38 AM
one thing is sure: eurofighter lives to its reputation of being a highly manuoverable aircraft.:)
All we've got are bloody heavy F-14s, F-15s, fragile F-16s.there are already raptor and JSF squadrons, the USA will have its air sup for quite some while.
However the neu F-22, and F-117s (stealth) should be a happy sign for us.:)F-117s arent new?:confused:Plus, it isn't really a fighter
But the truth is that the Russians with Su-30, Su-35, MiG-25, MiG-31 and Su-33 are way, way ahead of us....except that it isn't.

deffenbaugh03
07-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Yea F-117's are definitely not new and F/A-22's are not going to be hitting service until 2008 i believe. However we also have the F-35 which is a stealth bomber based on the F/A-22.

my porsche
07-17-2005, 10:01 AM

you sound like my ipc teacher last year:

"you will turn the PAPER in on monday, and i wil have them GRADED by wednesday! SO DONT ASK ME ABOUT THEM! the PAPER is on diHIDraline-malCHEMicide!"

he would randomly emphasise words

anyway, i think its fake, theres not enough ground effects to suggest its real

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 10:04 AM
you sound like my ipc teacher last year:

Well I'll be like your teacher again then .....

anyway, i think its fake, theres not enough ground effects to suggest its real
..... that's an "F" :D

MRR
07-17-2005, 10:11 AM
All we've got are bloody heavy F-14s, F-15s, fragile F-16s.

However the neu F-22, and F-117s (stealth) should be a happy sign for us.:)

But the truth is that the Russians with Su-30, Su-35, MiG-25, MiG-31 and Su-33 are way, way ahead of us.

The F-14 is hardly used at all anymore and has been phased out by the F-18 Superhornet. The F-15 will be replaced by the F-22 and the new joint strike fighter soon, and the F-16 is still a very good aircraft (fragile isnt the word I would choose to describe it). That combined with the best pilots in the world equals the worlds best airforce and navy.

my porsche
07-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Well I'll be like your teacher again then .....

..... that's an "F" :D
how do we know whether its real or fake? is there a video or something? :confused:

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 10:41 AM
how do we know whether its real or fake? is there a video or something? :confused:
none seem to be surfacing in the usual places :( would be nice though :)

This was during practice for the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford in the UK on the 15th for yesterday and todays show.

Nick Blacow is a professional photographer on the air circuit.

The details on the pic have already been gone through.

You're entitled to your opinion.

cmcpokey
07-17-2005, 12:33 PM
ok, time for me as a member of the US armed forces to put my 2 cents in.

F14, will be gone in about 5 years. The navy just graduated its last F14 pilot from flight school

F18, many different varieties, will be around for a long time.

F15, same fate as F14

F16, good plane, benefit is it's a bargain. half the price of an F15

F117, not a fighter, just a light bomber. also supplemented by the B2 stealth bomber (the flying wing type thing)

F22, in final testing. there is a squadron, but it is not active yet.

JSF/F35, still in final testing. USAF version almost done, USN version still figuring out whats going on with it, USMC almost done, final testing should start by the end of the year.

There's also a bunch of others that nobody really remembers. The F111 Tornado, A-10 Warthog, the Harrier (for soem reason I can't remember the designation right now)

So thats the sailor's input.

taz_rocks_miami
07-17-2005, 12:50 PM
If the pilot flew too low by mistake, I'm glad there wasn't anybody standing right where the jet wash hits the ground. :eek:

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 04:22 PM
If the pilot flew too low by mistake, I'm glad there wasn't anybody standing right where the jet wash hits the ground. :eek:
The reason they all practice their airshow routines a LOT is there are strict rules about the flightline.

Nobody gets within 100m of a plane nowadays for prop and IIRC 200m for military jet :(

More details on the RIAT Eurofighter "issue" ....
"Today the Typhoon practised its display. It performed a looping but came out of it at only 15 feet above the runway. The rest of the display was cancelled and the jet landed 10 minutes later. Hopefully it will show up next weekend...

The good news is that the Red Arrows flew formation with three Spitfires. After the nice formation with the F-117 in 2003 we now hopefully get another impressive formation. "
here's a NICE pic of the Red Arrows and the Spits :)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.blacow/riat1507/reds.jpg

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 04:24 PM
BTW, THIS is one of the coolest pics from Nick this year IMHO.

An Apache attack helicopter INVERTED firing flares :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.blacow/riat1407/apache.jpg

Quiggs
07-17-2005, 04:30 PM
^ I thought you couldn't do that. Or there was only one helicopter that could pull kind of a flip kick at the top of a roll so it didn't stall... Something like that.

RIP F14...
http://www.affichescinema.com/insc_t/top_gun.jpg

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 04:42 PM
^ I thought you couldn't do that. Or there was only one helicopter that could pull kind of a flip kick at the top of a roll so it didn't stall... Something like that.

Helo loops are more about inertia than controlled inversion.
YES they can do it, especially with modern rotors and computer controls.

Since it's introduction the Apache has demonstrated rolls and loops at major airshows.

The Apache was evaluated in the UK in the 80s and it's roll performance was compared with WWII Spitfire !!!!

whiteballz
07-17-2005, 04:53 PM
look at my pic MP. Clearly shows the details of the flight.

its not above the damned runway, its over the grass.

Alastor
07-17-2005, 05:12 PM
The Apache was evaluated in the UK in the 80s and it's roll performance was compared with WWII Spitfire !!!!

Speaking of Spitfires have you seen that low flyby clip? It has been around for awhile so I am sure you have, but if you haven’t it is definitely worth a second.

Here is one link:

http://www.tvwebradio.com/sailorsofthesky/thread-view.asp?threadid=276&posts=10

*Warning - It does have some strong language at the end, but it in context with the event ;-)

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 05:15 PM
yeah, it's awesome :)
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42905&postcount=4 for a freeze frame from it.

What else COULD you say if that happened :)

Alastor
07-17-2005, 05:29 PM
yeah, it's awesome :)
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42905&postcount=4 for a freeze frame from it.

What else COULD you say if that happened :)

Thanks for the link, that last picture of the ejection process is wicked.

johnnyperl
07-17-2005, 05:36 PM
BTW, THIS is one of the coolest pics from Nick this year IMHO
that just might be the coolest picture ever! :D

my porsche
07-17-2005, 05:37 PM
look at my pic MP. Clearly shows the details of the flight.

its not above the damned runway, its over the grass.
i know, but i mean you dont think alot of grass would be flying up?

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the link, that last picture of the ejection process is wicked.
The vid of that is on the 'net as well.
I've a copy here somewhere .....

The plane buries itself into the ground at the base of the control tower !!!!

Matra et Alpine
07-17-2005, 05:48 PM
i know, but i mean you dont think alot of grass would be flying up?
Why is this carrying on ?
Additional information already posted !!!

As the airfield is used for a MAJOR airshow, why are you expecting lots of grass ???

crisis
07-17-2005, 07:05 PM
BTW, THIS is one of the coolest pics from Nick this year IMHO.

An Apache attack helicopter INVERTED firing flares :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nick.blacow/riat1407/apache.jpg
Thats not even photo shop! I can do that with my car. :D
Only I stacked it. :o

crisis
07-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Helo loops are more about inertia than controlled inversion.
YES they can do it, especially with modern rotors and computer controls.

Since it's introduction the Apache has demonstrated rolls and loops at major airshows.

I think I saw a Lynx do it ages ago when it was fairly radical. Still impressive. I believe they have to reverse the pitch on the blades as it approaches the inverted position.

my porsche
07-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Why is this carrying on ?
Additional information already posted !!!

As the airfield is used for a MAJOR airshow, why are you expecting lots of grass ???
i dont get it, even if its an airshow, if you go that low to the grass isnt some going to fly up?

Matra et Alpine
07-18-2005, 12:29 AM
I think I saw a Lynx do it ages ago when it was fairly radical. Still impressive. I believe they have to reverse the pitch on the blades as it approaches the inverted position.
yes they do. The Lynx was a unique helicopter in that it was DESIGNED to have downward drive from the blades as the RN used an "anchor" system to handle landing in adverse weather. This requires the Lynx to PUSH down into a captive system with a probe when landing. It's the only helo with that built in as designed AFAIK.

The problem is that fast helicopter blades aren't symmetrical, so thy dont' work the same upside down and helos typically only have 1 or 2 degrees of 'negative' pitch which isnt' enough to counter the weight of the craft. R/C helicopter fly inverted all the time, but they achieve this because they typically have as much negative pitch on the blades as they do positive ( 10 degrees each way ).

Matra et Alpine
07-18-2005, 12:31 AM
i dont get it, even if its an airshow, if you go that low to the grass isnt some going to fly up?
If you were cutting your grass and were expecting high winds and your car with new paintwork was sitting beside the lawn, woudl YOU collect the clippings or leave them to blow around ?
Can we get off this BS, the pics real :p

Matra et Alpine
07-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Thats not even photo shop! I can do that with my car. :D
Only I stacked it. :o
Hopefully yours doesn't smoke as much :)

clutch-monkey
07-19-2005, 03:24 AM
off-topic but does anyone have pics of the new MiG's with that experimental plasma coating activated?

Matra et Alpine
07-19-2005, 03:49 AM
The conjecture is that it inly protects those "msot visible" areas of the plane.
As any attempt to "coat" a plane in plasma travelling at Mach2 would prove difficult.

The front of the 1.42 MFI does show some parts whcih woudl seem tobe the generators for the field, I've seen it written that the radar radome and flight electronic sections are now the largest targets seen on radar and by "hiding" those they get the huge benefits.

Also, it's VERY unlikely that you'll see any "plasma" shield as the device only weighs about 100kg ( according to the designers ) and so sn't really in the domain of being able to create a sufficiently strong plasma field that it would become visible !

There is some 1.42 take-off vid at http://www.warfare.ru/video/2004/mig1-44.wmv and old info at http://www.warfare.ru/?linkid=1608&catid=255

I've not seen any news on it for ages. I'll ask around the "flightline" buddies :)

no.1hitman
07-20-2005, 08:59 AM
i was at riat 2005.i saw this happen i was about 150 metres away.sure it was pretty scarey seeing the newest fighter jet nearly hit the deck.in my opinion the eurofighter is absolutely b*****ks.

Matra et Alpine
07-20-2005, 09:13 AM
erm, where a plane goes is down to the PILOT :)
AND as one of the largest air shows it would be expected for the test pilot to show some 'extreme' maneuvers - just not THAT close !!!
Odd you think it bollocks when it's still unproven and untested in real combat.

CSL
07-20-2005, 01:16 PM
its cool seeing the jet blast like that

my porsche
07-20-2005, 01:31 PM
whats B*****KS?

6'bore
07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
What a crazy pic man. Just got me a new background

F1_Master
07-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Maybe it's the angle, but the Eurofighter looks pretty small compared to some of the other jets today. I guess that helps it in combat.

Matra et Alpine
07-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Maybe it's the angle, but the Eurofighter looks pretty small compared to some of the other jets today. I guess that helps it in combat.
You want to see a Rafale. Positively TINY compared with them all :)
Almost like the the old A4's

Birdman
07-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Small is Stealthy.

crisis
07-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Small is Stealthy.
Actualy tha B1 (rather unstealthish these days) apparently has the radr signature of a bird if I remember correctly. The B2 probably that of the B1s droppings.

henk4
07-21-2005, 11:55 PM
The B2 probably that of the B1s droppings.

before or after the explosion?

crisis
07-22-2005, 12:19 AM
before or after the explosion?
After dinner. :D

henk4
07-22-2005, 12:24 AM
After dinner. :D

highly improbable
:D

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Actualy tha B1 (rather unstealthish these days) apparently has the radr signature of a bird.
the African swallow or the European swallow ?

crisis
07-22-2005, 12:47 AM
the African swallow or the European swallow ?

I see where the surviving python boys are supposed to be doing another 6 new shows! Im not sure whether i should be excited of scared. :confused:
Cant see a bunch of old farts being quite as edgy as they were 30 years go. Hope Im wrong. :)

2ndclasscitizen
07-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Jon Cleese still goes alright

Birdman
07-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Actualy tha B1 (rather unstealthish these days) apparently has the radr signature of a bird if I remember correctly. The B2 probably that of the B1s droppings.

and the F-117 has the radar cross section of a golf ball, while the RAH-66 Comanche has the radar cross section of a hellfire missile.

clutch-monkey
07-23-2005, 12:35 AM
and the F-117 has the radar cross section of a golf ball, while the RAH-66 Comanche has the radar cross section of a hellfire missile.
i heard that when the f-117 first visited australia the americans decided to suprise the raaf command by flying the plane to an airshow without notifying the raaf. unfortunately we use a different radar system (or something :confused: ) and scrambled two fighters to intercept and investigate. the rather bewildered pilot had an ecort to the airshow :D. they had to make afew changes to the design....
idk how true that story is or maybe it was a prototype f-117

Birdman
07-23-2005, 07:05 PM
I didn't think that they had ever flown those(F117) out here. The prototypes, to my knowledge, never left America.