PDA

View Full Version : Elephant

my porsche
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
im trying to figure out what this car is, i saw it on a show about the pebble beach concours d' elgegance and i was wondering what it is'

its very long, very old,. very black, has a gold elephant head on the hood (about a 10foot hood) i described it to my dad and he said maybe its a packard

any help and pictures would be much appreciated

BMW325
07-17-2005, 12:40 PM
some Bugattis had Elephant hood ornaments

cmcpokey
07-17-2005, 12:53 PM
try the bugatti royale

my porsche
07-17-2005, 02:24 PM
no thats not it, kind of looks like it htough

cmcpokey
07-17-2005, 05:25 PM
umm, try going to the pebble beach concours d'elegance website.. they have a listing of all award winners, so you may be able to find it there. i think they even have pics em too.

my porsche
07-17-2005, 05:34 PM
it was on pbs right before motorweek if that helps

thanks, 4 door, gold elephant thing (sticks up like thr R.R. angle but and elephant head) black, gold trim

cmcpokey
07-17-2005, 05:38 PM
well, bugs usually had the elephant. did the grill have the horseshoe shape of all bugattis?

i'd say go throught ucp's bugatti page, they have a decent listing of em.

my porsche
07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
i dont know i just saw about half of it, ills earcha nd let you know

my porsche
07-17-2005, 06:04 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1438

imagine that with a slightly longer hood, all black and an elehpant head on the front, and thats it basically

cmcpokey
07-17-2005, 06:12 PM
well, im tapped out. good luck in your quest dude.

my porsche
07-17-2005, 06:12 PM
dang this is annoying me i want to know cuz it was a really cool looking car

Wouter Melissen
07-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Very big with a golden elephant ornament has to be one of the Bugatti Royales. Mind you all of them are different.

Pando
07-18-2005, 01:40 AM
Are you SURE this isn't it? Sure sounds to me quite like what you explained...
if it isn't it, there must be a copycat around :mysterious: :rolleyes:

my porsche
07-18-2005, 05:16 AM
mo its not a full elephant, just the head

BMW325
07-18-2005, 05:41 AM
i seem to remember some car with a really pissed-off looking elephant head...cant recall what it was...

ive searched a bit but found nothing except this really cool site: http://northstargallery.com/cars/indexmain.htm

audiuser
07-19-2005, 06:42 AM
It could be a rolce royce phantom 3.

dracu777
08-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I think I might have solved this mystery. This is a Bentley Speed Six with a body by Saoutchik. And there is your elephant.

dracu777
08-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Ohh...pix are from last year's Pebble Beach Concours. Not taken by me unfortunately.

spi-ti-tout
08-18-2005, 09:38 AM
And there is your elephant.
He said just the head :(

dracu777
08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
OOPS...I guess it pays to read. Nice car regardless. I didn't have it in my collection before this.

dracu777
08-19-2005, 09:23 AM
I think I got it for sure this time. It's a monster, and it's a beauty. I have no idea what it is though :)

Duesey
08-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Its the 1932 Daimler Double Six Martin Walter Sport Saloon, formerly owned by G Lingenbrink and Charles Bronson.

Here is a little blurb on the car from Robb Report:

Glamorous British film star Anna Neagle was apparently a woman who got what she wanted, since this magnificent Double Six was commissioned by her husband, a Mr. Webber, and built by Martin Walter especially for her. Of 26 Double Sixes built, mostly for royalty over a 10-year period, this is among the longest—its hood stretches 8 feet, and its 159½-inch wheelbase is a couple inches short of a Bugatti Royale’s. The model designation derives from the Daimler V-12 engine, a marriage of two incredibly quiet sleeve-valve sixes with a combined displacement of 7.1 liters. Neagle’s long, low, black H.R. Owens–designed sports saloon won England’s Eastbourne Concours d’Elegance when new in 1932 and (following a five-year restoration) Best of Show at Pebble Beach in 1999.

http://www.robbreportcollection.com/Articles/Wheels/Classics-Collectibles-Continuation-Cars/Collection-Classics-The-Language-of-Fine-Design.asp

The car was also equipped with an ingenius Wilson preselector gearbox, which was the closest thing ot an automatic at the time and predated the preselectors first major American application (in the Cord 810 in 1937) by 7 years.

Also, a brief commentary on some of your reasoning, hood ornaments are not always the best things to determine the make or model of a car. While they are often an excellent determining factor for many cars, take a Duesenberg J, Lincoln Zephyr, or Pierce Arrow, they are not always OEM on some cars. In the case of this Daimler, that hood ornament was not a standard feature of Daimlers, in fact most didn't have much more than a flat chrome radiator cap. That pachydermed Bentley Speed Six is no better a clue, as plenty of Bentley owners purchased after market radiator caps too (I have shots of Bentleys with everything from bulldogs to Lalique gracing their hoods). So while your guess was good, it wasn't very directed, try looking at the car first (Daimlers always had a ribbed grill finish at the top edge). I was a little confused at first, b/c the low slung appearance is very Bucciali like, but I remembered seeing that car as Pebble winner, and that led me to the correct answer.

henk4
08-21-2005, 11:30 PM
I think I got it for sure this time. It's a monster, and it's a beauty. I have no idea what it is though :)

this is indeed the Double Six, pictured here during the Gooding auction at Pebble Beach last week.

dracu777
08-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Great info Duesey. It turns out that I had some more pix of this car. It is really a masterpiece. Here is some more pix of it. Can anyone post any other pictures?

Sauc3
08-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Here's a couple more.

henk4
08-22-2005, 08:37 AM
I shot a few at the Gooding auction, they might be good enough for putting the car on the UCP's main page, but the shooting conditions were not too great

dracu777
08-22-2005, 09:22 AM
I can't wait to see the coverage on UCP. Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of the cars present at pebble beach (not just the winners). Google et al, didn't help.

henk4
08-22-2005, 03:21 PM
I can't wait to see the coverage on UCP. Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of the cars present at pebble beach (not just the winners). Google et al, didn't help.

we have a hardcopy, but that is not good enough I think. We got also provided with a CD with press info, which may have the list though. No time to open it as yet.

my porsche
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
THATS IT! THANKS SO MUCH! it really is a beautiful car

Duesey
08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
we have a hardcopy, but that is not good enough I think. We got also provided with a CD with press info, which may have the list though. No time to open it as yet.

Those press CD's usually don't have anything interesting on them, maybe a fefw publicity pictures, but that is about it. If you ask the press people at Pebble Beach Concours they can provide you with it, probably.

dracu777
08-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Well I emailed the guys and gals from www.pebblebeachconcours.com, and they send me the entry list for both the concours and the tour d'elegance. It is a .doc file so I can't upload it, and when I copy and paste it all the formating is lost, so I don't feel like parsing it now. Let me know if you would like the files before I get a chance to post them.

henk4
08-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Well I emailed the guys and gals from www.pebblebeachconcours.com, and they send me the entry list for both the concours and the tour d'elegance. It is a .doc file so I can't upload it, and when I copy and paste it all the formating is lost, so I don't feel like parsing it now. Let me know if you would like the files before I get a chance to post them.

the press CD has both these documents in pdf format.

Pando
08-30-2005, 05:17 AM
I for one would be interested in the list, I'd appreachiate if you'd upload it somewhere. :)

Revo
08-30-2005, 08:44 AM
I for one would be interested in the list....
So am I :)

ZeTurbo
09-02-2005, 09:30 AM
wow, that car looks magestic.

dracu777
11-16-2005, 09:37 PM
I for one would be interested in the list, I'd appreachiate if you'd upload it somewhere. :)
Here it is...at last