PDA

View Full Version : The GT4 Challenge: Round 3

SIMPLETON
07-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Congrats to .............................. Jack Bauer, again.

name: time: points:
Jack Bauer..............1'45.745.........11
Diablo VT................1'47.531.........9
shockwaveracing......1'47.667.........7
SIMPLETON..............1'48.465.........5
Dino Scuderia...........1'49.448.........3
Bob........................1'50.906.........2
CHEESE-TACULAR.....1'51.329..........2
The One................. 1'51...............2
My Porsche..............1'52...............1

Total Points after 2 rounds:
Jack Bauer................22
shockwaveracing........14
Diablo VT..................9
Lightweight...............9
SIMPLETON...............8
Dino Scuderia............ 8
Bob..........................2
CHEESE-TACULAR.......2
The One....................2
My Porsche................2
whiteballz..................1
Rockefella..................1
Blue Supra.................1

You know the rule are as always:

Each comp. starts Monday morning, ending Sunday at midnight.
The winner of the previous comp. will choose the car, track, tires, modifications of the new comp.
If the time submitted by someone is unreallistically fast it will be excluded.
You will PM your best time to me.
The one with the fastest time will be the winner.
If you have a time that you think will win, take a picture as proof. If you win you will have to present this photo as proof.
If I find out that any time is false, goes against any rules, or is done through any use of unfair play or cheatery, the user will be banned from the competition for one week and will be stripped of all their points.
Scoring goes like this:
1st place recieves 10 points.
2nd place get 8.
3rd gets 6.
4th gets 4.
5nd gets 2.
Everybody else recieves 1 point.
There will be a secret time that, under the rules, should be easy to obtain. This will be called the target time. If you meet the target time you will recieve an additional 1 point.

So jack what'll it be this week?

Dino Scuderia
07-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Geez! I suck! Congrats to Jack!

6'bore
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Can I join the comp or not?

lightweight
07-18-2005, 09:22 AM
F*ck! I now know how Raikkonen feels when trying to catch up with Alonso....
Do PS2's have reliability problems?:D

SIMPLETON
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Can I join the comp or not?
you sure can.

Bob
07-18-2005, 10:16 AM
I should've done better... I did a few laps on Monday and then quit. Oh there's always next week. I would've had a 1:42 but GT3 doesn't allow you to cover your car in Nismo/Mugen/Greddy/... stickers

6'bore
07-18-2005, 10:18 AM
you sure can.

Awesome.

Dino Scuderia
07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I should've done better... I did a few laps on Monday and then quit. Oh there's always next week. I would've had a 1:42 but GT3 doesn't allow you to cover your car in Nismo/Mugen/Greddy/... stickers

HAHAHA!

6'bore
07-18-2005, 10:31 AM
All we need is jack with this new challenge.

Dino Scuderia
07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
All we need is jack with this new challenge.

Yeah, I'm sure he's conjuring up another good one.

6'bore
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I'm sure he's conjuring up another good one.

Let's hope so, I've been waiting to see how good/bad I am compared to other players.

my porsche
07-18-2005, 12:34 PM
i hated last weeks, so if this will influence you at all, please do something fast!!

6'bore
07-18-2005, 12:45 PM
i hated last weeks, so if this will influence you at all, please do something fast!!

Just read the thread, sounds slow, lol.

TheOne
07-18-2005, 02:06 PM
man i had done a 1.50.xxx but forgot to post it!, + i didn't have the camera with my so that was probably why.

anywayz i wonder what jack will make us do now.

Jack_Bauer
07-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Ok boys and girls, been thinking about this week's challenge and the challenge I've been considering would involve a 60's Cobra 427 of some sort, either the AC version or the Shelby. Problem is the AC one costs about Cr.450000 and the slightly lighter/quicker Shelby version costs over Cr.500000! :eek:

Does anyone know if you can get either of these cars in arcade mode without first buying them in GT mode? :confused:

And if not, would any of you lot strongly object to having to spend so much on a single car?

Trust me, it could be a pretty wild challenge if you can afford to get your hands on a Cobra! :D

Bob
07-18-2005, 02:35 PM
I hate spending that much for one car but I'll do it, moneys not hard to get, and those cars are fun to drive... I'd prefer if they were not allowed to be tuned though because adding power makes them insanely torquey and unmanagable without TCS.

Edit- you better watch out this week Jack, I love those things

Dino Scuderia
07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
The Cobra 427 SC is in Arcade mode under the company AC, not Ford. It's available because I don't have it purchased, I checked.

my porsche
07-18-2005, 02:42 PM
i have the ac one, but if the shelby is better ill get it too, i have 45 cars and $6M in the bank :D

and whats the challenge?

lightweight
07-18-2005, 02:51 PM
no problem. I already got it:D
Besides anyone who has played a bit, can get the 450,000 easily. Just win an endurance on B-spec and it's ok

Dino Scuderia
07-18-2005, 02:51 PM
The Cobra handles like a pig, and terrible under braking.

Jack_Bauer
07-18-2005, 03:01 PM
OK, well if the AC Cobra is there in arcade mode then we might as well run with that car, no need spending Cr.500000 unnecessarily! (Plus the driver is on the 'proper' side of the car! :p )

The challenge is as follows...

Arcade mode, Time Trial.

Car: AC Cobra 427 S/C

Track: Seattle Street Circuit "Reverse"

Tyres: Sports Soft tyres

Quicktune: As much or as little tuning as you like BUT.....

All driver aids STRICTLY PROHIBITED!!!

So it might be easier/faster to drive with less HP or more weight just to keep the thing in a remotely straight line!!! :D Obviously that is entirely up to you to experiment with. :)

This should be an acute challenge of your right foot (or thumb :o ) throttle balancing skills. And I expect you'll be getting some BIG air coming down that hill. :eek:

Enjoy.......

my porsche
07-18-2005, 03:31 PM
1'48.08

is anyone started so far?

ok i wont post my time after this, but i will say it is much lower :D

Rockefella
07-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Stop posting times. please. Kind of ruins the fun.

SIMPLETON
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
OK, well if the AC Cobra is there in arcade mode then we might as well run with that car, no need spending Cr.500000

I'd beg to differ. All 3 Shelbey cars, including the cobra are available in arcade with out purchasing them in Sim mode. It's not in Ford, you have to look alittle bit further until you see a blue squareish thing that looks to be 'c'. But since the challenge has already been set in stone, I wont ask for you to change it. Besides this car bets much better traction.

Jack_Bauer
07-18-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd beg to differ. All 3 Shelbey cars, including the cobra are available in arcade with out purchasing them in Sim mode. It's not in Ford, you have to look alittle bit further until you see a blue squareish thing that looks to be 'c'. But since the challenge has already been set in stone, I wont ask for you to change it. Besides this car bets much better traction.

Oh I didn't realise. I'd already bought or won (don't remember) the Shelby version in GT mode so couldn't tell if it was already available in Arcade. I just went with what others had told me! :o

It probs would've been a little more challenging with the Shelby version, it's lighter, more powerful and has much shorter gearing and so is an absolute beast to drive! :D

Consider yourselves lucky you guys, you've been given the easy option! :p

my porsche
07-18-2005, 06:20 PM
id hate to drive the shelby then if it gfets WORSE tractuon!

CHEESE-TACULAR
07-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Ok boys and girls, been thinking about this week's challenge and the challenge I've been considering would involve a 60's Cobra 427 of some sort, either the AC version or the Shelby. Problem is the AC one costs about Cr.450000 and the slightly lighter/quicker Shelby version costs over Cr.500000! :eek:

Does anyone know if you can get either of these cars in arcade mode without first buying them in GT mode? :confused:

And if not, would any of you lot strongly object to having to spend so much on a single car?

Trust me, it could be a pretty wild challenge if you can afford to get your hands on a Cobra! :D
i would rather buy other classics but, i think you would need it for the classics races in european and proffesional hall, scince the cobras are always way up front (assuming its the computer)

my porsche
07-18-2005, 06:43 PM
jack check you inbox

DiabloVT
07-18-2005, 07:09 PM
man this thing handles like a shopping cart on NOS
congrats on the win jack :D

CHEESE-TACULAR
07-18-2005, 07:14 PM
man this thing handles like a shopping cart on NOS
congrats on the win jack :D
is that a good or a bad thing? :D
my second run places me in the mid 1'47's

my porsche
07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
im well below that

but jack mentioned winning probably being near high thirties, so congratulatuions jack! 3rd week in a row!

CHEESE-TACULAR
07-18-2005, 08:01 PM
im well below that

but jack mentioned winning probably being near high thirties, so congratulatuions jack! 3rd week in a row!
yeah i gotta go again-if i were jack id make us race the Peugeot 206 on Tskuba wet *hint hint* for week 4 :D

Bob
07-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Come on guys don't let him win again. And I would say high 30s isn't that great... (*hint hint)

shockwaveracing
07-19-2005, 01:23 AM
good i like high powered cars more than the shitty Mini Cooper S... i had better aim for higher than third i think (2 weeks running is annoying me)...

Come on guys don't let him win again. And I would say high 30s isn't that great... (*hint hint)

i would seriously have to see proof of that too belive what you are insinuating... coz after busting it out for a good hour i was only just getting it into the high 30's...

animal of a car probably the worst handling car i have driven on GT4...

All driver aids STRICTLY PROHIBITED!!!

how are people gunna prove that they had no driver aids... it doesn't appear on the screen when you want to take a photo of your best lap time... people can say that they did a time without the driving aids, when really they did...

with the traction control on i can do a 1'36 but with traction control off i haven't been able to crack a 1'38 lap yet...

DiabloVT
07-19-2005, 04:34 AM
now THERES a good point.
another is that i picked up god of war today so it looks like GT4 is gonna have to wait!

Dino Scuderia
07-19-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm about to throw a brick through the TV! This car is so frustrating to drive.

6'bore
07-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I am going to my dad's tonight so I'll have a go at this, let's see how it goes.

Jack_Bauer
07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
how are people gunna prove that they had no driver aids... it doesn't appear on the screen when you want to take a photo of your best lap time... people can say that they did a time without the driving aids, when really they did...

with the traction control on i can do a 1'36 but with traction control off i haven't been able to crack a 1'38 lap yet...

Sadly there is no way of really proving whether someone had TC on or not. But the whole point of this particular challenge is to test your OWN traction control skills so hopefully we'll be able to rely on people's good sporting ethics not to cheat! :)

If someone were to win by cheating I'm sure they'd know deep down that they'd be being a complete cock, so hopefully good conscience will prevail! :p

my porsche
07-19-2005, 09:39 AM
and obviously a TCS lap would be WAAAYY faster so it would probably be kind of obvious if they cheated

Bob
07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
I think the wheel and pedals give a HUGE advantage on this course, being that its so much easier to control the power with your foot than with your thumb. I love this car and its handling is great, you just have to know how to use it effectively. I haven't tried this with traction control on, but I'm running with max hp and minimum weight and besides a few sections I haven't had much of a problem. I think this is the best challenge yet. Good luck all.

6'bore
07-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Got in the 1'30's tonight.Don't know if its fast or not.

my porsche
07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
how about we have a controller bracket and a wheel/pedal bracket because bob is right you have a huge advantage and i only have a wheel for xbox, unless tehre is a converter to make my wheel work on sps2

6'bore
07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm using a controller.

my porsche
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
holy shit, i just really suck then, does anyone care to give me pointers?

6'bore
07-19-2005, 01:29 PM
holy shit, i just really suck then, does anyone care to give me pointers?

Only tip I have, is just keep it in second gear round the slow coners and control your throttle on the way owt, cuts out the wheel spin ;)

Bob
07-19-2005, 01:36 PM
The only really slippery parts of the track are after the long straight with the hairpin at the end, and the two turns after you fly down the hills. I would just recomend taking these sections extremely carefully and try to drive really smooth, and you'll get a good lap time.

my porsche
07-19-2005, 01:44 PM
so far im at 1'44.5

but 6bore is already sub-40'

6'bore
07-19-2005, 01:58 PM
so far im at 1'44.5

but 6bore is already sub-40'

:D sure is, btw when does the comp close, I think I will only have thursday to improve my time. (my PS2 is at my dads so I can only do this three days a week)

my porsche
07-19-2005, 02:25 PM
ok i need more help then, how do i break 1'40? im a horrible driver so the least you could do is tell me what settings you used :D

Jack_Bauer
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
The only really slippery parts of the track are after the long straight with the hairpin at the end, and the two turns after you fly down the hills. I would just recomend taking these sections extremely carefully and try to drive really smooth, and you'll get a good lap time.

I reckon the slippiest bit is the couple of corners before the long straight, where you bounce over the tram lines. It's crucial to get a nice smooth exit there to build up as much speed as possible on the long straight, so keep it easy and straight over the tram lines so as not to get too much oversteer. :)

Bob
07-19-2005, 03:15 PM
ok i need more help then, how do i break 1'40? im a horrible driver so the least you could do is tell me what settings you used :D

I'm using +20 % hp and -10% weight, you need the hp for the straights and of course lower weight for handling.

I reckon the slippiest bit is the couple of corners before the long straight, where you bounce over the tram lines. It's crucial to get a nice smooth exit there to build up as much speed as possible on the long straight, so keep it easy and straight over the tram lines so as not to get too much oversteer.

That's definitely the hardest section and most important to a good time, but I haven't had much traction problems there... maybe I should push it harder.

my porsche
07-19-2005, 03:16 PM
how do you control the traction with that?!?!

i got my 1'44.5 with -9% power and -10% weight

i tried with +20% power and -10% weight and it was slower than 1'45 by a few sefconds

Jack_Bauer
07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
how do you control the traction with that?!?!

i got my 1'44.5 with -9% power and -10% weight

i tried with +20% power and -10% weight and it was slower than 1'45 by a few sefconds

You need to learn how to feather the throttle to control traction. For me it's WAY easier using the stick as opposed to the X button to do this. You need to play it by ear really. When you hear the rear wheels start burning rubber and the revs rising, back out of the throttle a bit. Then slowly feed it back in once the rear wheels start to grip again. If it starts slipping again, do the same. The extra power might make it a little wild in the low speed stuff, but it pays BIG dividends on the straights.

You have to keep the back end in line as much as possible. It might look good sliding around in spectacular fashion, but it is inefficient and ain't gonna get you anywhere fast. Keep it as smooth and controlled as possible, focus on your braking points and your lines through the corners. And then just practice, practice, practice and the times should slowly improve. :)

my porsche
07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah i use both joysticks, and i try to feather it but with +20% i find it damn near impossible

Dino Scuderia
07-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Judging from the time I just set....and we all know I'm slow...someone will easily break into the 35's if not 34's.

Jack_Bauer
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Guys come on, we all know the rule about posting your times. Apart from anything else it spoils the fun! :rolleyes:

my porsche
07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
ok well we all know that the winner will be sub 40 so it odesnt matter because i am at 1'44.5 ( and i thought that was smoking)

shockwaveracing
07-20-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm using a controller.bet yours is a ps2 one they have a bit more modulation in them than my old school ps1 controller... :)

Dino Scuderia
07-20-2005, 09:02 AM
LOL! I just did a complete lap doing a 4th gear burnout!

6'bore
07-20-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm using +20 % hp and -10% weight, you need the hp for the straights and of course lower weight for handling.

I'm using the sam settings. And shockwave yes, I am using a PS2 controller ;)

my porsche
07-20-2005, 09:31 AM
no way i dont believe you dino, a complete lap burning out...in fourth gear?

Dino Scuderia
07-20-2005, 09:49 AM
no way i dont believe you dino, a complete lap burning out...in fourth gear?

Try it, all you have to do is bump a wall while you're in 4th and it'll break the tires loose, then you just hold the throttle down and drive.

my porsche
07-20-2005, 09:51 AM
ok i WILL try it, but not now im in the middle of the formula gt championship

6'bore
07-20-2005, 11:30 AM
How did you stop it from spinnig out on the corners?

Dino Scuderia
07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
How did you stop it from spinnig out on the corners?

I didn't say it was smooth....did a couple of bounces and 360's during the lap....those poor rear tires...hehehe
;)

6'bore
07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
I didn't say it was smooth....did a couple of bounces and 360's during the lap....those poor rear tires...hehehe
;)

haha, nice.

my porsche
07-20-2005, 01:13 PM
another thing that will aid laptimes is if in your garage you go to optiomns and turn arcade mode tire wear off, means fresh tires all day long :D

Bob
07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that you keep fresh tires no matter what in Time trial because i have tire wear on and doen't notice any loss of traction over any number of laps... but whatever.

Dino Scuderia
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that you keep fresh tires no matter what in Time trial because i have tire wear on and doen't notice any loss of traction over any number of laps... but whatever.

Yes, there is no tire wear in time trials.

my porsche
07-20-2005, 07:07 PM
ohhh ok ididint know that tid bit :D

Bob
07-20-2005, 08:29 PM
I took two seconds off my time today :) but still have quite reched my target... i wont be here sunday or monday, im leavin on a cruise to bermuda so if i win let 2nd place pick track n stuff... also i will post a screenshot of my time friday or saturday if u dont want to know dont open attach

DiabloVT
07-20-2005, 10:20 PM
well this one is pretty much a write-off for me personally, cant string together a solid lap hey. ive been driving this damn course since GT1 and i still dont like it haha

shockwaveracing
07-21-2005, 01:46 AM
well this one is pretty much a write-off for me personally, cant string together a solid lap hey. ive been driving this damn course since GT1 and i still dont like it haha
i don't mind the course but the car is definitely the worst car in the game... chronic understeer turning into power oversteer, or even 4 wheel drift resulting in a hopeless driving experience... a rocket powered roller skate would be a beter handler than this car...

and since i purchased a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel yesterday, i have struggled even more, coz all real life conventions that you would normally apply with driving, like controlling a drift, just go out the window,. the wheel goes light and then loads up and then goes light again and then when you think you have caught it, it loads up again and ploughs you into a wall when trying to control a little slide, even feathering the throttle, and it just spins... i admit that this probably isn't the best car to be using to learn how to use the steering wheel but still i am having a sulk...:rolleyes:

anywayz enough of my whingeing... BIG KUDOS to whoever wins this coz i know i won't my best time was a 1'3x.xxx... and it was only just under 1'40 so yeah...not gunna post the whole time coz then people might have a sook at me... :p

Rockefella
07-21-2005, 01:56 AM
If you want to hide your time just do this: Scroll to the right of this sentence. 1:15.962

Just format the text as white in color. And that time is made up.

6'bore
07-21-2005, 04:18 AM
i don't mind the course but the car is definitely the worst car in the game... chronic understeer turning into power oversteer, or even 4 wheel drift resulting in a hopeless driving experience... a rocket powered roller skate would be a beter handler than this car...

and since i purchased a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel yesterday, i have struggled even more, coz all real life conventions that you would normally apply with driving, like controlling a drift, just go out the window,. the wheel goes light and then loads up and then goes light again and then when you think you have caught it, it loads up again and ploughs you into a wall when trying to control a little slide, even feathering the throttle, and it just spins... i admit that this probably isn't the best car to be using to learn how to use the steering wheel but still i am having a sulk...:rolleyes:

anywayz enough of my whingeing... BIG KUDOS to whoever wins this coz i know i won't my best time was a 1'3x.xxx... and it was only just under 1'40 so yeah...not gunna post the whole time coz then people might have a sook at me... :p

Your time is probably the same as mine.

Dino Scuderia
07-21-2005, 05:43 AM
I'm not improving so I'm basically done with this challenge, it was funstrating...hehehe..he said funstrating....

Rockefella
07-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I HATE this car.

SIMPLETON
07-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Just to give everybody fair warning. Starting next week there will be a rule that states only My Porsche will be able to publically announce his time. Since his usually doesnt make much difference. :)

my porsche
07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
um, gee thanks

yeah i suck i know it

Jack_Bauer
07-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Just to give everybody fair warning. Starting next week there will be a rule that states only My Porsche will be able to publically announce his time. Since his usually doesnt make much difference. :)

Maybe we should let My Porsche set the challenges for the next couple of weeks. It seems he needs all the help he can get! :p

(Just kidding M_P ;) )

my porsche
07-21-2005, 06:03 PM
wait can i really set them?!?!?!!? actually anything i can do well i will get my ass handed to me at even more so, because if i can do it well, it must be easy!!1

but id still like to set them! :D

Rockefella
07-21-2005, 06:04 PM
wait can i really set them?!?!?!!?
I think they were sarcastic, you'll just have to win one. :) You know, you can escape the track on the Seattle Circuit, if you just pass the start line, escape, and pop back on at the finish, you can set a record lap. :)

my porsche
07-21-2005, 06:14 PM
hmm more detail please :D

SIMPLETON
07-21-2005, 07:30 PM
It's called a breakout MP. And If your looking for info on exaclty how to do it, you will not find it here. As far as i know its only on a few circuits. For instance Monaco (Cote de Azur). I did not know there was one in Seattle. So I went to the the Seattle track again to try and find it. I almost got through but my car got stuck halfway through the wall.

I hope noone uses this tactic, but it would be legal via a loophole in the rules.

Rockefella
07-21-2005, 09:52 PM
BTW, Simpleton, scroll to the right for my time: 1:40.21

I'm sick of this car, I find myself in opposite-lock half the time.

shockwaveracing
07-21-2005, 10:35 PM

TOUCHE!!! that is effen gold mate... good call

my porsche
07-21-2005, 10:39 PM
ok everyone, i realise i am bad! ok, no need to take it further :D

Rockefella
07-21-2005, 11:41 PM
EDIT: Brought my time down to 1:39.873 but now I'm done, for good.

6'bore
07-22-2005, 03:00 AM
EDIT: Brought my time down to 1:39.873 but now I'm done, for good.

I'm already faster than that, and I have got today saturday and sunday to improve because I'm staying a my dad's :D

DiabloVT
07-23-2005, 09:59 AM
6'bore, when u quote someones time, u can see it without selecting it :(
ill still give it another dash 2moro tho

SIMPLETON
07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
ok everybody, tomorrow is last call. So PM your times in soon

6'bore
07-25-2005, 02:17 AM
When does the next thread for the winner go up? I'm off on holiday soon and I want to see, I may aswell post my time anyway, 1.38.429

shockwaveracing
07-25-2005, 06:58 AM
1'39.247

well you got me, just couldn't come to grips with this car...

Dino Scuderia
07-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Someone must have kidnapped SIMPLETON....

my porsche
07-25-2005, 09:26 AM
1'44.4

SIMPLETON
07-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Sorry MP. you might've been a little too late for this one. Your time may not have been included.