PDA

View Full Version : homepage

my porsche
07-18-2005, 02:50 PM
how do i set a website as my homepage?

NoOne
07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
For IE just go into "Tools" then "Internet Options", it'll be under the "General" tab .... I don't use any other browser so I can't help you there. :)

* Wondering how many people are going to call me a lameass for not using FireFox * :o

Matt
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
It would have been faster for you to search google than it was for you to make this thread and then wait for replies.

IWantAnAudiRS6
07-18-2005, 03:03 PM
True, but there's nothing like a good post addition :)

my porsche
07-18-2005, 03:10 PM
i dont search google for everything

theres nothing like a good thought out flame on me, so it hought id give everyone the chance, seeing as how i didnt know ho wto do this

TheOne
07-18-2005, 03:39 PM
For IE just go into "Tools" then "Internet Options", it'll be under the "General" tab .... I don't use any other browser so I can't help you there. :)

* Wondering how many people are going to call me a lameass for not using FireFox * :o

i shall be the first......shame on you for not using FF!,lol.

for FireFox go to tools>options and it'll be right there.

Cotterik
07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
my porsche u n00b :p

taz_rocks_miami
07-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Don't sweat it, I still use IE :)

QuattroMan
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
i dont search google for everything

theres nothing like a good thought out flame on me, so it hought id give everyone the chance, seeing as how i didnt know ho wto do this

MP!!! some tiomes you just have to say "WTF"... :)

SPHFerrari
07-18-2005, 05:13 PM
firefox is clearly superior to IE.

johnnyperl
07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
i agree.
that could be a poll if it hasnt been done yet...

my porsche
07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
MP!!! some tiomes you just have to say "WTF"... :)
ahhh youve seen risky business? ahah love that movie

QuattroMan
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
ahhh youve seen risky business? ahah love that movie

OH YES! i love that movie :)

henk4
07-19-2005, 12:43 AM

what is firefox???

McReis
07-19-2005, 04:17 AM
what is firefox???

:D Nice question. I know what it is. But why using anything else than Internet Explores if it works so well, doesn't crash, and it's so simple to use?

P.S.: And my work is all about Internet!

Suka
07-19-2005, 04:29 AM
Firefox let viruses slip onto my pc, so i have used IE ever since.

Matra et Alpine
07-19-2005, 04:57 AM
Firefox let viruses slip onto my pc, so i have used IE ever since.
Teh reality s that any of them can let viruses "slip" in.
IF you browse unknown sites then it' simportant to configure the browser to be ultra-secure for sites outside of those ones you trust.
Any browser/gateway can be configured to prevent "slips" but at the reduction of features on many web sites :(
It becomes one huge poker game. Do you 'bluff' and get to see lots of sites or 'play safe' and limited on the fun/risk :)

Suka
07-19-2005, 05:05 AM
Teh reality s that any of them can let viruses "slip" in.
IF you browse unknown sites then it' simportant to configure the browser to be ultra-secure for sites outside of those ones you trust.
Any browser/gateway can be configured to prevent "slips" but at the reduction of features on many web sites :(
It becomes one huge poker game. Do you 'bluff' and get to see lots of sites or 'play safe' and limited on the fun/risk :)
It turned out to be a site i visit often, on my favorites list! :( Never did it on IE though. I don't go on the site anymore though it was boring. Can't remember the name now...

QuattroMan
07-19-2005, 10:00 AM
:D Nice question. I know what it is. But why using anything else than Internet Explores if it works so well, doesn't crash, and it's so simple to use?

P.S.: And my work is all about Internet!

That's what I say!!!!! :D BUT I would just like to look in to it, I have to see this I have to know what the hell is fire fox all about...

Pando
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
That's what I say!!!!! :D BUT I would just like to look in to it, I have to see this I have to know what the hell is fire fox all about...
here you go:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
at first I really didn't notice any difference, but when i had been using FF for a while and used IE on occation I saw many faults in IE that imo hadn't been there before...

henk4
07-19-2005, 12:05 PM
here you go:
at first I really didn't notice any difference, but when i had been using FF for a while and used IE on occation I saw many faults in IE that imo hadn't been there before...

the faults probably were always there but you did not notice them, because you knew no other system. That is the position I am currently in and as long as I am ignorant I don't bother :)

McReis
07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
the faults probably were always there but you did not notice them, because you knew no other system. That is the position I am currently in and as long as I am ignorant I don't bother :)

It's not just ignorance. This works fine for whatever you do, and firefox doesn't read perfectly many websites made with Frontpage.

Pando
07-19-2005, 12:13 PM
That was what I meant, well you know what they say, ignorance is a bliss... :)
I probably would't have tried it either at first, but when I bought my new computer I wanted to be aware what kinds of options there are when it comes to software... and it didn't hurt.

targa
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
i use IE and i dont have any viruses.....or spyware....and i have no virus/spy protection....go figure

Pando
07-19-2005, 12:23 PM
It's not just ignorance. This works fine for whatever you do, and firefox doesn't read perfectly many websites made with Frontpage.
control+t on IE does squat, toolbar bookmarks and customizable looks? Built in multi choise searchbar (without annoying extras you get from IE) that can use virtually any search engine? Less popups, most annoying ones usually are IE only? Although sometimes there are problems with reading Frontpage made websites perfectly I wouldn't critizise FF but the people making half-a** pages, but the makers themselves, and microsofts monopoly that allowes them to get away with it. And I've NEVER had a problem with a relavant page or a page that I actually wanted to visit.

edit: oh yeah and i forgot about the IE-ONLY spyware & viruses that there is, I'm not saying FF is perfect, I'm just saying right now I wouldn't think of switching to IE

henk4
07-19-2005, 12:32 PM

another issue then that I don't have to bother about :)

Matra et Alpine
07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
control+t on IE does squat, toolbar bookmarks and customizable looks? Built in multi choise searchbar (without annoying extras you get from IE) that can use virtually any search engine? Less popups, most annoying ones usually are IE only? Although sometimes there are problems with reading Frontpage made websites perfectly I wouldn't critizise FF but the people making half-a** pages, but the makers themselves, and microsofts monopoly that allowes them to get away with it. And I've NEVER had a problem with a relavant page or a page that I actually wanted to visit.

edit: oh yeah and i forgot about the IE-ONLY spyware & viruses that there is, I'm not saying FF is perfect, I'm just saying right now I wouldn't think of switching to IE
erm, very anti-IE with little factual input.
btw ALL of FF's "features" are add-ons. Nothing is really "built-in" to FF. That's one of it's strengths.
"virtually any" search engine - yeap in IE too.
I suspect you havent' researched or experienced the wide variety of IE helpers as much as the FF ones.
Expect even MORE problems with FF and web sites as MS have made it clear that with IE7 they will be introducing features and web site develoeprs need to work to them NOW. The downside of being a monopoly is the temptation to act liek the 'owner' :) The reality is they will introduce a single complelling feature for BUSINESSES and let it drive through the web sites compatability :(
ALL spyware and virus are "some application" only because they ALL rely on a feature to allow their entry. With IE being the largets part of the installed base then they are the common ones. As ANY browser increases market penetration it will atract more of them itself.

my porsche
07-19-2005, 02:37 PM
did i post this in the aussie forum? no...misc...hmmm

ok i think thois thread can peacefully die now that i knoe how to put it as my homepage

Supercarfreak123
07-22-2005, 12:10 AM

True, but very few sites are done with frontpage. Considering what a bad program it is. Most sites are down with Macromedia Dreamweaver, so that's not a big issue.

Firefox is a great browser, IE is not. There are a lot of great features with Firefox. I had a lot of spyware through IE, none on Firefox. Plus with tabbed browsing and all of that.

With FF you can even have multiple homepages. Like me.

Rockefella
07-22-2005, 12:13 AM
True, but very few sites are done with frontpage. Considering what a bad program it is. Most sites are down with Macromedia Dreamweaver, so that's not a big issue.

Firefox is a great browser, IE is not. There are a lot of great features with Firefox. I had a lot of spyware through IE, none on Firefox. Plus with tabbed browsing and all of that.

With FF you can even have multiple homepages. Like me.
Matra is about to go on for 6.49 hours about how IE is just as good, if not better than Firefox. Be prepared.

Suka
07-22-2005, 12:24 AM
I had a lot of spyware through IE, none on Firefox. Plus with tabbed browsing and all of that.

I had a lot of spyware through FF, but not with IE.

henk4
07-22-2005, 12:25 AM
I have just installed firefox, can somebody explain me the advantages, which up to now I have failed to notice :)

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Matra is about to go on for 6.49 hours about how IE is just as good, if not better than Firefox. Be prepared.
6.488 , please be accurate :)

I only point out the erroneous repetition of myth on browsers as many folks believe all that's written is true and users ( liek henk4 ) get perhaps the wrong image. ( Kind of like everyone going out and buying a Type-R with wings and fart-can after a fanboy rant :) )

This time it's the other way round tho.
The "grouped homepage" is nice and the unique feature of their tabbed concept. IE can match tabbing by it's integration with XP taskbar. BUT if you want say 6 pages to open at the same time then it's a plus. With fast broadband I'm not sure there is any great advantage in that, but is 'neat' - kind of like TV screens in the boot of a car :)

Re Frontpage quantity, remember that MANY pages are also created by businesses for internal use using these tools AND MSes integrated html prodcution from all of the Office suite. Especially comapnies who wwant web sites without having to emply an IT person all the time setup frameworks ( often NOT using MS producst ) but frames are loaded from outptu generated by MS tools. So FP sneaks in there :)

Egg Nog
07-22-2005, 02:36 AM
I have just installed firefox, can somebody explain me the advantages, which up to now I have failed to notice :)

Click "New Posts", hold down 'ctrl', and click all the threads you're interested in. Use the little red X in the top righthand corner to close them as you finish with them. Now you get it.

henk4
07-22-2005, 02:41 AM
OK, I see how that works, but going through the new posts one by one and then just clck "back" when finished gives the same results, with the same amount of effort, me thinks

Egg Nog
07-22-2005, 02:46 AM
OK, I see how that works, but going through the new posts one by one and then just clck "back" when finished gives the same results, with the same amount of effort, me thinks

I'm not sure about you, but when I get home from work and hit New Posts, there are usually around 100 results. I'll open and 20 or 30 tabs in total. If I had to go back after every one of them, I'd be wasting a lot of time/effort. Instead, I just close one (shortcut: ctrl-w) and the other one is already there. Opening tabs pre-loads everything too, which is not so noticable on a text forum, but is especially helpful for opening many pictures.

At first I didn't really find it very much different than IE, but its the little things that make the difference over time. If you want another example, holding 'ctrl'l and moving the scroll wheel will scale all text up or down. Might be useful for UCP's "Golden" crowd :)

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Or hold down Shift and click on all thelinks you're interested in.
When finished with each post click the Red X in the top right hadn corner.
Sound familiar ?

BUT what FF does do is keep all this in one item on the XP taskbar, IE puts each new page as a new item on the taskbar. So if ALL you do is browse it's not much different. IF you switch between office apps and browers and cut-and-paste between, FF needs you to track two operations and not just one for window switching :)

Shawn,'s got a plus on the text size. More intuitive to use the scroll than the IE long-winded menu or short-cut. Windows supports that as native. I have to say I dont' change text size veryu often adn more and more find web develoeprs have locked the text size down anyway :(

henk4
07-22-2005, 03:10 AM
Thanks guys, all very helpful, I'll see how it works out. I am working with reading glasses anyway :D

McReis
07-22-2005, 03:25 AM

Says who? I work with Internet and for simpler websites Frontpage is still very much used as it makes for very "light" and fast websites.
It's funny how there seems to be trend of saying bad things about every "standard" Microsoft programs when they still do their tasks well.

henk4
07-22-2005, 09:53 AM
first experience, when downloading an attachment from my web-based email system FireFox has no other option than to put in the "c/temp" file. IE allows you to directly indicate the target directory. Bad miss.

McReis
07-22-2005, 09:56 AM
first experience, when downloading an attachment from my web-based email system FireFox has no other option than to put in the "c/temp" file. IE allows you to directly indicate the target directory. Bad miss.

Don't say that! IE is crap! You are an old fashioned guy! :D:D:D
Bill Gates is the man!

Matra et Alpine
07-22-2005, 10:11 AM
aha, BUT someone, somewhere will ahve written an add-on that does EXACTLY what you want.

you just have to find it, install it, TRUST IT (!) and use it :)

and not expect too much support from the guy who wrote it if it doesnt' work for you :D ( :tongue-in-cheek: )

McReis
07-22-2005, 10:33 AM
aha, BUT someone, somewhere will ahve written an add-on that does EXACTLY what you want.

you just have to find it, install it, TRUST IT (!) and use it :)

and not expect too much support from the guy who wrote it if it doesnt' work for you :D ( :tongue-in-cheek: )

That pretty muchs sums up what happens with guys who keep using "alternative" programs. They say "No really, this is cool! You just have to add this, and now redefine that, etc, etc.." and they spend so much of their live on this that they don't even have the time to be objective. :)

QuattroMan
07-22-2005, 11:57 AM
here you go:

thanks for the info bro, ill give it a try whan i get home..

Rockefella
07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
I think the beauty of FireFox comes in all of the plug-ins, but like Matra said, they have to be trusted. AdBlock alone makes the internet like 1,540x better. All I do is click the 'AdBlock' semi-transparent tab under an ad, hit block this ad, then I right click the frame and hit 'adblock I-frame'. More often than not the ad's gone forever but sometimes those pesky scammers make thousands of url's for the same advertisement and you can never fully block it. For example, you'll never be able to fully block the google advertisements because the url for the ad constantly changes.

(There are a few downloadable files with a large list of common spyware-pages and advertisements floating around to plug into AdBlock but I don't feel like finding it now)

henk4
07-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I think the beauty of FireFox comes in all of the plug-ins, but like Matra said, they have to be trusted. AdBlock alone makes the internet like 1,540x better. All I do is click the 'AdBlock' semi-transparent tab under an ad, hit block this ad, then I right click the frame and hit 'adblock I-frame'. More often than not the ad's gone forever but sometimes those pesky scammers make thousands of url's for the same advertisement and you can never fully block it. For example, you'll never be able to fully block the google advertisements because the url for the ad constantly changes.

(There are a few downloadable files with a large list of common spyware-pages and advertisements floating around to plug into AdBlock but I don't feel like finding it now)

I became a supporting member of UCP. That saves you all the trouble of blocking adds as described above :D

Rockefella
07-22-2005, 12:39 PM
I became a supporting member of UCP. That saves you all the trouble of blocking adds as described above :D
Most likely because you threatened to send Wouter to his room if he didn't give you supporting member status. Or was it just added to his allowance? :p

henk4
07-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Most likely because you threatened to send Wouter to his room if he didn't give you supporting member status. Or was it just added to his allowance? :p

probably you won't believe this, but I paid.

Pando
07-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Says who? I work with Internet and for simpler websites Frontpage is still very much used as it makes for very "light" and fast websites.
It's funny how there seems to be trend of saying bad things about every "standard" Microsoft programs when they still do their tasks well.
Using Frontpage is pretty much like driving an automatic. The people who use it thinks they're doing *it* and that anything else is just more trouble. In reality they're clueless.

Matra et Alpine
07-23-2005, 03:19 AM
Using Frontpage is pretty much like driving an automatic. The people who use it thinks they're doing *it* and that anything else is just more trouble. In reality they're clueless.
Nice comparison.

Think automatic and the American driver.
the VAST majority use it, have no problem using it and it meets all their needs.
The rest is for the techno-nerds :)

Likewise MS products. It does the job jsut not as well as the best or as efficient as the best. But only a VERY few sites need tha, but slightly more tech-heads get kick by usign "better" :)

IWantAnAudiRS6
07-23-2005, 10:45 AM
On my Mac, I use Safari. It's good, but the pop-up blocker doesn't seem to understand the whole blocking-pop-ups thing :p

It's better than Mac's 5.2 IE :p

targa
07-23-2005, 08:17 PM
On my Mac, I use Safari. It's good, but the pop-up blocker doesn't seem to understand the whole blocking-pop-ups thing :p

It's better than Mac's 5.2 IE :pSafari is the shit...but i use IE for most stuff unless it gets shut down, then its back to safari because its stable

IWantAnAudiRS6
07-24-2005, 05:02 AM
I'm guessing that rather interesting phrase means it's good???

I gave up with IE 5.2 because it was actually slower than Safari, and Safari didn't quit on me with monotonous regularity. Microsoft have one chance to make everythign right and they screw it up by making a shoddy browser for Mac! :p

McReis
07-25-2005, 05:09 AM
Nice comparison.

Think automatic and the American driver.
the VAST majority use it, have no problem using it and it meets all their needs.
The rest is for the techno-nerds :)

Likewise MS products. It does the job jsut not as well as the best or as efficient as the best. But only a VERY few sites need tha, but slightly more tech-heads get kick by usign "better" :)

That sums it all. I find it amusing when people play the advanced user part. What do you do with other programs that you can't do with Frontpage? Because I'm established in this business for 3 years and connected to it since 99, and still can find FP very useful for simpler websites. Maybe we don't know how to do websites. Well, you can judge it: www.trattodesign.com. Most of the websites there are done with FrontPage, or a mix based in HTML made with FP. For this business-to-business kind of websites it works perfectly well.
This version of our website is very aged. It will be remade soon.

henk4
07-25-2005, 05:13 AM
obviously Frontpage does not stop you from posting the same twice :D

Matra et Alpine
07-25-2005, 05:15 AM
obviously Frontpage does not stop you from posting the same twice :D
cruel

VERY cruel

:D

henk4
07-25-2005, 05:17 AM
cruel