PDA

View Full Version : New car-toon

Sauc3
07-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi all,

I've been spending the past couple of hours working on a new car-toon, with another style than Nopassn, so I'm not sure as to where I should display these. If this is in the wrong area, I am sorry and ask any moderators to please move it to the designated area.
Now, as I said, I've been working on a new cartoon, in a style which I have used before, but this time using more detail. My previous one was a Porsche, which I have attached, along with the rear work of the new Lotus Exige Sport (see link) courtesy of Matt's Hi-Res Hideout. Any and all criticism is more than welcome, because I cannot improve without it. Thanks all.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=84672

sleekeywoowoo
07-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Very nice, at first i thought it was an actually picture but after opening it bigger i noticed the difference. very good job. You should try making the wheels and the background too tho,eventually.

Sauc3
07-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Yeah I'm going to make the whole car this time, and I'll think about the background. The ground is rather reflective, which would take an immensly large amount of time. As I said though, I'm making the whole car inluding the wheels and windows this time.

Sauc3
08-14-2005, 02:30 AM
I thought it'd be about time for an update... Seems I've neglected this a bit. After being bored and picking this up again, I've now got about 250 layers, with many more to come. Rather strenuous and takes a long time, but rewarding when it all turns out good in the end. Here's the update, including the original. Enjoy.

Egg Nog
08-14-2005, 12:05 PM
This is going to look ridiculously sweet when it's finished :D

Sauc3
08-14-2005, 06:25 PM
This is going to look ridiculously sweet when it's finished :D
I certainly hope so, otherwise this was completely pointless :D.

This windscreen wiper is hell... So many different little colours! Should've chosen a car with different shades :p. I expect to be done with the windscreen in about an hour, and I'll go on to the front again. I can't stay in one place :p. I'll put up updates pretty soon when I've done some more on this.

qmonoid
08-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi sauc3,

lookin' good, I admire all those hours your putting in, don't forget you have what they call artist's freedom, don't be a slave to the photo, your right when you say there are a lot of reflections, i would leave out the 'rear work' reflections projected from the windows in the background to the car, hard to tell at the moment but it's a bit scaley looking, may change my opinion when its finished.
Great to here your gonna do the whole car in 'toon' this time, the wheels and windows in the porsche looked a little out of place.
Your gonna get some great practise in but if you want to speed things up use the smooth blur filter in photoshop and then go in and retouch all the details and some edges. if you want to see the effect the filter has i'll upload the lotus with the applied filter for you. However doing it freehand gives more work satisfaction and your personal touch to the picture, your choice!
Maybe there should be an area designated to automative art !
I hope i didn't go to town with the criticism, only trying to give a bit of friendly advise.
Anyway keep up the good work, i'll be checking back later to see how your getting on, i think your work is really interesting.

Sauc3
08-21-2005, 07:07 AM
First of all, I said to myself I'd give you all an update when I reached 500 layers, and that point has come, so here it is. This thing's taken up many many hours, yet I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. With all 500 layers the PSD file is now around 10Mb, which has become sluggish for me to work with, so I'm going to be using the overview which I'm about to post for the next 500 layers.
Also, I'd love to have some ideas for something I can use to put the car on once I'm done with it, because I'm NOT using this process for the ground, I'm spending enough time on the car itself as it is.
Anyone who wants proof of 500 layers/anything else is welcome to contact me, I will send screenshots. (I've had people who haven't believed my work before, many a time.)

Hi sauc3,

lookin' good, I admire all those hours your putting in, don't forget you have what they call artist's freedom, don't be a slave to the photo, your right when you say there are a lot of reflections, i would leave out the 'rear work' reflections projected from the windows in the background to the car, hard to tell at the moment but it's a bit scaley looking, may change my opinion when its finished.
Great to here your gonna do the whole car in 'toon' this time, the wheels and windows in the porsche looked a little out of place.
Your gonna get some great practise in but if you want to speed things up use the smooth blur filter in photoshop and then go in and retouch all the details and some edges. if you want to see the effect the filter has i'll upload the lotus with the applied filter for you. However doing it freehand gives more work satisfaction and your personal touch to the picture, your choice!
Maybe there should be an area designated to automative art !
I hope i didn't go to town with the criticism, only trying to give a bit of friendly advise.
Anyway keep up the good work, i'll be checking back later to see how your getting on, i think your work is really interesting.
Thankyou very much for that comment, sorry about the late response, but I wanted an extra reason to post again :p. As you can see, I've now completed one window, and am also busy with the lights. I don't feel at all a 'slave' to the picture, I'm giving my own touch to it, which is giving me a very fun pasttime. I've worked myself into a routine, and I'm determined to go over every detail and really make this into something special. Also, any criticism is more than welcome, as I cannot improve without it. Thanks!

sleekeywoowoo
08-21-2005, 07:54 PM
looking very very sexy. thats right.sexy