PDA

View Full Version : Manfeild V8 bid withdrawn

Spastik_Roach
07-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Manfeild's bid to host the New Zealand round of the Avesco V8s has been formally withdrawn "without fanfare", the Manfeild Park Trust Board has been told.

Acting chief executive Ruma Karaitiana said at yesterday's board meeting in Feilding that Manfeild would retain an interest if Avesco reconsidered its obvious preference for a street race and returned to a circuit-based event.

Avesco (Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company) had been informed of Manfeild's continuing development and its start on a $1.3 million pit lane project involving corporate suites and pit garages.

Chairman Ben Vanderkolk said about 16,000 cubic metres of earth had been moved from the construction site to either end of the front straight to build up spectator embankments for enhanced viewing.

He also said the board had entered negotiations with the Manawatu Car Club to source funding for the construction of a race control tower, estimated to cost $400,000.

"The tower, which will contain everythiog needed for race control on the day, will be the only one of of its kind in New Zealand. It's what a fully international track needs."

Vanderkolk said the board, in conjunction with Motorsport New Zealand, was creating a comprehensive safety plan to ensure track safety compliance was immediate, current and did not fall behind the standard requirements.

"The aim is to get a theoretical and engineering template against which we can assess safety requirements to ensure compliance," he said.

The board recognised that the track was an occupational hazard and the plan was designed to ensure that commercial users of the park were as safe as competitive users, Vanderkolk said.

From www.stuff.co.nz

fpv_gtho
07-26-2005, 12:33 AM
Theres always something about the smaller tracks that appeals more, probably the closer racing and close spectator viewing, but many tracks, both here and NZ, simply are overgrown go cart tracks and dont have adequate facilities, something i think Manfield wouldve suffered with.

Spastik_Roach
07-26-2005, 02:18 AM
I don't think Manfeild is an overgrown Go kart track, its got heaps of garages, a decent grand stand right now, the best thing is that from any seating you can see the whole track easily with no trees blocking the way unlike lots of tracks where you will often only see a couple of corners. The race tower seems like a good idea and with the mayor of Palmerston North so desperate to get tourists into the area i'm sure she'll have a say in getting it put in. Theres also a lot of seating with it spreading right down the straight, good areas for like picnics and stuff. I think its more than capable of holding the V8 BRutes personally, but i'm a little biased :p

fpv_gtho
07-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Im sure the BRutes will go fine there, but if you send the V8's there, Manfield becomes the figurehead for New Zealand when the V8's get broadcast to 800 million people worldwide.

nota
07-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm unfamiliar with Manfield, so won't comment directly about that track

But imo it's been unfortunate to watch as many tracks (too many) which have their own local flavour & history undergo so-called 'improvement' and have their unique character refined, removed, and sterilised .. all in the name of massively expensive debt-crippling compliance to a ruling 'premier' category's exhorbitant demands

Spastik_Roach
07-27-2005, 02:43 AM
I don't think its a case of that. Its still gunna be a nice and cheap place to get into, (and still an easy place to sneak into for free :) ) , still will have great racing and just have a better quality facility for racers and spectators.