PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey sucks, and now I have proof.

Quiggs
07-26-2005, 11:55 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8697348

Ashtrays have been disappearing in cars like fins on Cadillacs, and so could smoking while driving in New Jersey, under a measure introduced in the Legislature.

Although the measure faces long odds, it still has smokers incensed and arguing it’s a Big Brother intrusion that threatens to take away one of the few places they can enjoy their habit.

“The day a politician wants to tell me I can’t smoke in my car, that’s the day he takes over my lease payments,” said John Cito, a financial planner from Hackensack with a taste for $20 cigars.

Those cigars, pipes and cigarettes would become no-nos for drivers. Offenders would be stung with a fine of up to $250, under the measure, whose sponsor said it’s designed more to improve highway safety than protect health.

What do you think — would a ban be fair?

Some states, including New Jersey, have considered putting the brakes on smoking while children are in the car. But none have gone for an outright ban on smoking while driving, according to Washington, D.C.-based Action on Smoking and Health, the country’s oldest anti-tobacco organization.

Smokers, feeling like easy targets, say enough already. They argue they’ve been forced outside office buildings, run off the grounds of public facilities, and asked to pony up more in per-pack excise taxes when states feel a budget squeeze.

“With smoking, it’s becoming increasingly fashionable to target legislation or prohibitions,” said George Koodray, a member of the Metropolitan Cigar Society, a 100-strong group that meets in Paterson for dinner and a smoke.

Distracted drivers
Assemblyman John McKeon, a tobacco opponent whose father died of emphysema, sponsored the legislation. He cites a AAA-sponsored study on driver distractions in which the automobile association found that of 32,000 accidents linked to distraction, 1 percent were related to smoking.

The measure, co-sponsored by Assemblywoman Lorretta Weinberg, a fellow Democrat, was introduced last month just before lawmakers’ summer break. It faces some improbable odds for passing.

Some lawmakers may fear the bill is frivolous compared with more pressing issues like taxes, said political analyst David Rebovich.

And there’s this to consider: Traffic safety groups acknowledge motorists now widely ignore the state’s year-old law against using hand-held cell phones, so why would smoking be any different?

Mitchell Sklar, of the New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police, said police departments may balk at enforcing such a law. “In general, we’d rather not try to incrementally look at every single behavior and make those a violation,” he said.While I don't smoke, and think it's the absolute most disgusting thing one can do, this is completely ludicrous...

taz_rocks_miami
07-26-2005, 12:31 PM
You car is your property just as much as your house, it's rediculous,the police need a search warrant to search your car but now the government will be able to force you not to smoke in your property. This is going too far.

Maybe you should change your user name to NJ_Sucks :)

IWantAnAudiRS6
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Even though it makes the car stink like hell, there's no good reason to apprehend people for smoking while driving, except for maybe when they're smoking pot.

Live and let live, 'cuz the smokers will die before us anyway :p

taz_rocks_miami
07-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Even though it makes the car stink like hell, there's no good reason to apprehend people for smoking while driving, except for maybe when they're smoking pot.

Live and let live, 'cuz the smokers will die before us anyway :p

Soon they'll be arresting people for talking to their passengers :mad:

deffenbaugh03
07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Personally I don't think smoking ANYWHERE should be legal.

my porsche
07-26-2005, 01:44 PM
"hey bob howve you been?"

"oh im fi-oh shit the cops saw us talking!"

"uhh ohhh!"

i think as long as the thing your doing in your car is legal, you should be able to do it in your car, unless its sex, then at least pull over

Niko_Fx
07-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Drivers don't bother me, but smoking in my university should be banned. That'd be awesome.

Matra et Alpine
07-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Less distractions in the car, safer driving.

Next it will be removing the cup holders, cd players and kids.

I'm OK with the last one :)

my porsche
07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
isnt your daugter old enough to drive herself peter? please tell me you dont still use a car seat?!?!

IWantAnAudiRS6
07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Drivers don't bother me, but smoking in my university should be banned. That'd be awesome.
No more pot for you... ;)

Rockefella
07-26-2005, 04:32 PM
You guys complain, yet I fkn live here. :( HAHAHAHA, if they do this 18+ year olds who enjoy the occasional cigarrette (like I do) will go insane.

Matra et Alpine
07-26-2005, 04:59 PM
You guys complain, yet I fkn live here. :( HAHAHAHA, if they do this 18+ year olds who enjoy the occasional cigarrette (like I do) will go insane.
so you're telling us that nobody under 21 drinks alcohol ?

Rockefella
07-26-2005, 05:28 PM
so you're telling us that nobody under 21 drinks alcohol ?
Of course we do. Me/friends drank about 80% of the nights this summer.

Matra et Alpine
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Of course we do. Me/friends drank about 80% of the nights this summer.
so I'm not sure why you'd bother about complaining about smoking. The American drink laws dont' seem to worry you unduly :)

Quiggs
07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
What wasn't explained in the article is that it would be a secondary offense. So the police couldn't pull you over for smoking. But if you were caught speeding, and you happen to have a cigarette lit at the time... Add another ticket.

Down with Dirty Jerzey.

my porsche
07-26-2005, 05:49 PM
way to be a teenage alcaholic rocke! :p why do you drink? like whats the point? i dont get it

kko
07-26-2005, 07:22 PM
way to be a teenage alcaholic rocke! :p why do you drink? like whats the point? i dont get it

to be cool...duh

DiabloVT
07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
well if theres other people in the car, id just ask them to not smoke while im in it. shouldnt be up to the government, its a personal decision... one i think we're going to get alot less of in the coming years =\
personally i cant stand smokers because theyre killing me faster than theyre killing themselves, and they know it. so fluck the clunts :D

targa
07-26-2005, 07:28 PM
why do you drink? like whats the point? i dont get itif you drink a glass of scotch or a mixed drink regularly then life becomes alot easier to handle.....but then the buzz goes away and you start drinking more....

im glad my buzz isnt gone yet

Vindesh17
07-26-2005, 08:23 PM
drinking does make you seem cool or stupid in some cases, in this case when my friend drank before bio class and all throughout class he was asking these stupid questions and I was laughing my ass off. My teacher didn't notice though or even if she did, she didn't mention it. btw it was he first year teaching and we were her first period class.

Spastik_Roach
07-26-2005, 09:32 PM
MP, have you ever considered Alcohol might taste nice?

my porsche
07-26-2005, 09:40 PM
i mean i enjoy an ocasional drink, but whats the point of binge drinkin? (not saying rocke does it, just a genral question)

Spastik_Roach
07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
i mean i enjoy an ocasional drink, but whats the point of binge drinkin? (not saying rocke does it, just a genral question)

Whats the point of driving a car really really fast? :)

Rockefella
07-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Ahaha, the commotion I've started. I made a thread about this months ago, when I got arrested. I drink about 3-5 times a week, at least in the summer, but only to the point where me and my friends have a buzz and act like we're in a good mood. We don't drink to the point of anger or dizzyness/vomit. I'll either have a 40 oz. bottle of Olde English or like 5-7 beers, depending on what we do. I only drink 8-12 beers at a party where I'll be crashing for the night.

My friends and I are responsible, we don't drink and drive, and we do it in each other's houses/abandoned baseball field where we're not really putting people in danger. NJ's a boring state, and my town is the epitomy of boring.

targa
07-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Whats the point of driving a car really really fast? :)what a dumb question :D

drinking to get along in a hard situation or to be more comfortable is okay. drinking to get drunk is dumb. gloating about drinking is the worst

Quiggs
07-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Bingo... As the band Zebrahead says... "Four shots of Jack to relax and get my head straight..." Words to live by. :)

Rum = good.
Tequilia = good.
Island drinks = woah good.
Beer = sucks.

taz_rocks_miami
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Whats the point of driving a car really really fast? :)

The "point of binge drinking is to get as drunk as possible as fast as possible. And if you really want to be "cool", puke your brains out and pass out.

The point of driving fast (on a track) is to take the car and yourself to the limit safely, not go as fast as you can untill you crash :)

Blue Supra
07-28-2005, 10:36 PM
ban smoking, full stop.