PDA

View Full Version : A misc rant...

nopassn
07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Just had to vent...

note: I work for Sprint...

So, I get a new to me cell phone off ebay the other day. Get it activated and reprogramed the numbers from my old phone it to it. Well, here I am a week later, got misc odd noise (kind of a crackling noise) and distortion coming from the earpiece when I'm on calls sometimes, and the battery won't hold a charge, even on standby, for a whole day.

At this point, you'd think - tough sh!t, that's what you get for buying a used phone off ebay... but that's where you're wrong... I've been a Sprint PCS customer since I started working for them 5 years ago... back to the story...

So, every since I've had Sprint PCS service, I've had the $5/month protection plan, that states - if you lose, break, etc... your cell phone - they will repair or replace it.

So I take my phone in to the Sprint PCS store this morning, I go in and they say, it'll be about 45 minutes before we can get to it... I said, fine, I've got to get to work anyway...

2 hours after that, I call in and they tell me they haven't looked at it yet...

so I call back 2 hours after that. Here is how the conversation went..

them, " The tech just finished it up..."

me, " What did he find?"

them, "let me put you on hold and findout" (on hold for 5 minutes)

them, " they updated you're firmware and tower ID's - so you'll have better reception"

me, " how could updating software fix my battery and earpiece?"

them, " I don't know, but that's what they did, you'll have to talk to the tech..."

me, "ok, put him on the phone..."

them, "he's busy..."

me, "fine." *CLICK*

POINT 1 - if I've got warranty coverage - get off your ass and fix it!

POINT 2 - don't fix shit that isn't broken and not fix the shit I need fixed!

MORONS!!!!!!

Cotterik
07-28-2005, 02:52 PM
sue their asses!

Matra et Alpine
07-28-2005, 02:58 PM
np, do you ONLY get it from the earpiece ?
If so, then you can put them straight - try swapping earpieces with soemone for a while.

They MAY be right in their apprach if you get the crackle on normal usage occasionally too. GSM has an Enhanced voice mode and it may not have been enabled. AND it's possible you wre locked down on the band and they've enabled it - the only "tower IDs" they coudl be playing with but I'm suspcicious of THAT one :) You sometimes get bad converters wher the mobile netweork connects to land lines. If you don't get the crackling when making calls to mobiles on the same network then it may be that.

Regardless of the REASONS. You aren't getting reasonabel service. Go kick ass :)

nopassn
07-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I'm not very pleased - not even a little bit... If this is how they treat all their customers I'm kind of ashamed to work for Sprint - glad I don't work over there... so I'm not directly associated with the PCS division...

nopassn
07-28-2005, 03:05 PM
np, do you ONLY get it from the earpiece ?
If so, then you can put them straight - try swapping earpieces with soemone for a while.

They MAY be right in their apprach if you get the crackle on normal usage occasionally too. GSM has an Enhanced voice mode and it may not have been enabled. AND it's possible you wre locked down on the band and they've enabled it - the only "tower IDs" they coudl be playing with but I'm suspcicious of THAT one :) You sometimes get bad converters wher the mobile netweork connects to land lines. If you don't get the crackling when making calls to mobiles on the same network then it may be that.

Regardless of the REASONS. You aren't getting reasonabel service. Go kick ass :)

the earpiece is built in to the top 1/2 of the phone (it's a flip phone) - the part with the screen - can't swap it...

the crackle/noise i get sounds distinctly like the static you get from a speaker when you've got an open in the wiring - I'm 99% sure the crackle/noise is a wiring or earpiece speaker physical issue.

dunno about the tower ID's - my phone is enabled to work on analog, digital and 3G networks.

and the crackle/noise is intermittent on calls to land lines, cell lines from other Sprint users and cell lines to other non-Sprint users...

I'm gonna stop by there after work to pick up my phone and light somebody up...

Matra et Alpine
07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
ha, seperated by common laguage again :) To us earpiece is the bit you plug into the phoen and into your ear :)
Yeah if it's coming out of the speaker in the phone AND it's only a crackle then it's the phone.

nopassn
07-28-2005, 03:21 PM
ha, seperated by common laguage again :) To us earpiece is the bit you plug into the phoen and into your ear :)
Yeah if it's coming out of the speaker in the phone AND it's only a crackle then it's the phone.

indeed... clearly, it seems to be the phone - and yet, they don't seem to want to fix it... I'd hate to be the poor bastard working when I get there...

IWantAnAudiRS6
07-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Dude, you should think what it's like for customers. Even Apple are slowly sliding downhill :( they used to be so polite and courteous, now they know shit and treat me like shit.

Hope your cellphone problems are rectified... and tell them that they are talking out of their asses!

Matra et Alpine
07-28-2005, 03:35 PM
indeed... clearly, it seems to be the phone - and yet, they don't seem to want to fix it... I'd hate to be the poor bastard working when I get there...
Is the phone covered for accidental damage on the insurance cover ?
Time to drop it I think :) Make sure it looks like an accident and there are witnesses !!

nopassn
07-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Is the phone covered for accidental damage on the insurance cover ?
Time to drop it I think :) Make sure it looks like an accident and there are witnesses !!

yeah, I've come to find out from a co-worker that had problems with his phone, that the Sprint PCS store could never get fixed... what he did was call the warranty people directly, tell them he dropped the phone and it was inoperable, they sent him a new one and he then took his semi-working phone, destroyed it and sent it back in their pre-paid shipping envelop... if nothing else can or will be done with my phone - that's the route I'm going to have to take too I guess...

nopassn
07-28-2005, 07:43 PM
UPDATE: Talked to the Sprint PCS store people... They refered me to the insurance people, couldn't be fixed. New cell phone will be here on Tuesday :D

Widsinator
07-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Im into cell phones, and modifiying them and am just curious to what you phone you have? I have had a Motorola V551 the had a custom firmware, and a few other things like an engineering menu, and unbranding. I just last week bought a Sony Ericsson S710A, and have been loving it. It takes great pictures i attached some if your curious.

Spastik_Roach
07-29-2005, 03:35 AM
Im into cell phones, and modifiying them and am just curious to what you phone you have? I have had a Motorola V551 the had a custom firmware, and a few other things like an engineering menu, and unbranding. I just last week bought a Sony Ericsson S710A, and have been loving it. It takes great pictures i attached some if your curious.

Damn You know your digital camera sucks when a camera phone takes better pics :(

nopassn
07-29-2005, 05:22 AM
I've got a Sanyo SCP-5500... but the dude said it would pry get upgraded, cause he didn't think they had any in stock to replace mine with...

nopassn
07-29-2005, 06:31 AM
so, I notice this odd icon in my sys-tray this morning... 1-800-search-assistant... so I click on it and it has a "contact us" section so I did - see attachment - the godless whores....