PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap, enough already. Fastest Car = Dauer 962LM

Egg Nog
07-28-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm going to link to this thread when someone posts the weekly "what is the fastest car" post. And for all of those who care, it's a wicked car. I've included an article from EVO so you don't get bored. My arguments are wicked though.

---------------------------------------------------------

The fastest production car ever so far that has been tested is the Porsche/Dauer 962LM. The record is 404.6km/h.

It is a production car, at least 13 made, more to come until they make 50.

It actually did drive 404.6km/h (251mph) at Volkswagen's Ehra-Lessien test track. The engineers on site confirmed this (I've seen the test printout online, I really wish I had saved the image).

No "official" magazine reference was there to confirm it. The fact is that it did it though. The officiality argument is lame - It's like saying a Model T is faster than a 911 Turbo because there was no magazine double checking the Porsche's test run. The specifics are stupid - If you took the 2nd and 3rd fastest cars and brought them and the Dauer up to top speed, the 962LM would be going the fastest. That's why its record counts. Because it is the fastest, in the truest sense of the term.

Other random information:

730hp@7500rpm
516lbs-ft@5000rpm
0-100km/h (62mph) in 2.6 seconds
0-200km/h (124mph) in 7.2 seconds
Nav System, DVD Player, and a Full stereo system are available on the latest versions.

---------------------------------------------------------

werty
07-28-2005, 06:57 PM
what were they thinking when they painted it? looks stupid

whiteballz
07-28-2005, 06:58 PM
EEK!

thats awesome. thought the magazine article isnt the best ive ever read, especialy about the fastest hypercar around.

F1_Master
07-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Well then, we'll have to watch for the Veyron then. Reported 248+Mph.

But the Dauer is a kickass car.

Cotterik
07-28-2005, 07:02 PM
the dauer is a dream, no veyron can touch it. Its what every supercar wants to be and should be. This along with the CCR in my view is the king.

Egg Nog
07-28-2005, 07:36 PM

They weren't thinking anything, because that's not painted. It's bare carbon fibre - the stripes are reinforcing sections of carbon kevlar. Interesting to look at, but I agree it looks much better painted.

Here's a painted one.

DiabloVT
07-28-2005, 08:39 PM
only a million euros hey... *rubs chin*

kko
07-28-2005, 10:07 PM
They weren't thinking anything, because that's not painted. It's bare carbon fibre - the stripes are reinforcing sections of carbon kevlar.

That makes it all the more beutifull

blackcat77
07-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Jeez, people, top speed is mainly about gearing. With the proper gearing and far enough to accelerate, there are probably several supercars that could exceed 250 mph.

Chinky_boi
07-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Jeez, people, top speed is mainly about gearing. With the proper gearing and far enough to accelerate, there are probably several supercars that could exceed 250 mph.
You forgot... Aerodynamics and Driver skill (because 250mph is wobbly to handle)

Blue Supra
07-28-2005, 10:41 PM
ive pulled 426kph from a tommy kaira K2 on GT4...

still. GODDAM THATS FAST! :eek:

Widsinator
07-28-2005, 10:42 PM
True, but how many other supercars will get to 124 in 7.2? Used to think my car was fast.

Spastik_Roach
07-28-2005, 11:05 PM
The Dauer 962 is the best car ever. Not my favourite, but the best car ever. No argument.

clutch-monkey
07-28-2005, 11:07 PM
The Dauer 962 is the best car ever. Not my favourite, but the best car ever. No argument.
i dunno.... driving it to gatton to everyday might be a bit wearing :p
of course i'd cut 30 min off my trip :D

danno
07-29-2005, 12:29 AM
haha i bet all the ppl here from SC.net are completely fed up with this car.

Its very very good but i hate it.

QuattroMan
07-29-2005, 12:09 PM

tell me about!! wtf is that?? some people have to much money an to much time in there hands....

Pando
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
No "official" magazine reference was there to confirm it. The fact is that it did it though. The officiality argument is lame - It's like saying a Model T is faster than a 911 Turbo because there was no magazine double checking the Porsche's test run. The specifics are stupid - If you took the 2nd and 3rd fastest cars and brought them and the Dauer up to top speed, the 962LM would be going the fastest. That's why its record counts. Because it is the fastest, in the truest sense of the term.
So by this standard the Vectors are up there aswell with +400kph each? ;) I understand what you are after and I'm not doubting the Dauer one bit... but still why didn't Dauer/Porsche make it "official", since every other supercar seems to claim to do more than 400kph nowdays but always seem to lack hard "evidence"... or lower the bar as Koenigsegg did.

Egg Nog
07-29-2005, 06:09 PM
tell me about!! wtf is that?? some people have to much money an to much time in there hands....

If you read through this page, you'll find that I mentioned that it's not painted. It's bare carbon fibre, with carbon kevlar reinforcing strips.

So by this standard the Vectors are up there aswell with +400kph each? ;) I understand what you are after and I'm not doubting the Dauer one bit... but still why didn't Dauer/Porsche make it "official", since every other supercar seems to claim to do more than 400kph nowdays but always seem to lack hard "evidence"... or lower the bar as Koenigsegg did.

Please re-read the first post if you want to hear my argument. The Vectors were never tested, so nobody can be sure of the top speed. If they run a test and prove it, the record is broken. I really could care less if a magazine is there to make it "official", as long as they actually break the record. The 962LM was driven to 404.6km/h, when it was tested at VW's Ehra-Lessien test track. There were track and Dauer engineers who saw it and recorded it.

It would be nice if they went out and did it again (with "officials" on site), just so everyone would shut up and finally acknowledge them. :) I believe they mostly did it to see what it could really do, and to list it in their brochure, as they have.