PDA

View Full Version : A Question for an Expert

KarateBoy
01-28-2004, 03:17 PM
What if some one built a titanium engine in a car? It would be relatively light and strong/ durably so what kinds of crazy things can you do to it? I know that "extreme" SuperCharger and Twin Turbos can really wear out your engine would this really help with its life span? Can you do some super performace upgrades? 20+psi supercharger.....etc. Let me know what you guys think.

crisis
01-28-2004, 05:30 PM
I think you need to read up (like in a book) on turbo chargers, superchargers and while you are at it a bit about internal combustion engines. You are obviously interested in cars but some of your questions are making you sound foolish. I dont know how old you are and I dont want to spoil your fun but you should not be trying to formulate you technical knowledge on this site or any other. Like all of the internet, you will recieve information from people whos credentials can rarely be verified. (no offence gentlemen, Im included in this). Im sure a lot of the people here are quite knowlegeable and sincere but it is taking the easy way out by asking some of the questions you ask. Genuine research is what you require. Then you will be able to offer opinions that will be respected by others.

DodgeNitroBIRM
01-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm no expert, either, but, there was an attempt at a plastic composite motor by Ford and I think either Exxon or Amaco. I don't remember which gas company, but it was a joint project. It used aluminum rods, not connecting rods, to strengthen the block. I'm sure there is some company some where experimenting with a titanium block.

Egg Nog
01-28-2004, 06:32 PM
As I posted elsewhere:

Look, I'm sorry, and I don't need to me rude at all, but please do some research. It's great that you're interested in all of this, but everything you seem to post is totally over-simplified and it all seems to be something that you "just heard somewhere".

fpv_gtho
01-28-2004, 11:03 PM
What if some one built a titanium engine in a car? It would be relatively light and strong/ durably so what kinds of crazy things can you do to it? I know that "extreme" SuperCharger and Twin Turbos can really wear out your engine would this really help with its life span? Can you do some super performace upgrades? 20+psi supercharger.....etc. Let me know what you guys think.

well i dunno if its fully titanium or just titanium lined, but apparently the Carrera GT has titanium in its block. it still didnt make it indestructible though, as someone took a test drive in it and i think was in 3rd, went to shift into 4th and slipped it into 2nd. the engine momentarily done 14,000rpm before the driver realised and dropped the clutch but it was too late and the block cracked.

as for strengthening the internals for a supercharged/turbocharged engine, i really recommend it. last weekend me and my dad pulled apart the diesel engine out of an 80 series landcruiser which had a safari turbo. either there was no blow off valve or there were the standard internals, but one of the pistons had a chunk missing out of the top about half the size of a 5c piece and 3 others were cracked

baddabang
01-29-2004, 02:39 PM
doseny titanium flex alot. i herd they cant make an entire gun out of it because it flexes more then steel does :cool:

NAZCA C2
01-29-2004, 07:15 PM
i dont know if you could cast an entire engine block from titanium. an all titanium block would also be very expensive thats why almost all racing series dont allow exotic metals like titanium to be used in the engines of race cars.

KarateBoy
01-29-2004, 09:47 PM
well i dunno if its fully titanium or just titanium lined, but apparently the Carrera GT has titanium in its block. it still didnt make it indestructible though, as someone took a test drive in it and i think was in 3rd, went to shift into 4th and slipped it into 2nd. the engine momentarily done 14,000rpm before the driver realised and dropped the clutch but it was too late and the block cracked.

as for strengthening the internals for a supercharged/turbocharged engine, i really recommend it. last weekend me and my dad pulled apart the diesel engine out of an 80 series landcruiser which had a safari turbo. either there was no blow off valve or there were the standard internals, but one of the pistons had a chunk missing out of the top about half the size of a 5c piece and 3 others were cracked
Thank you that is the type of answer i was looking for. Their is a titanium allow which i am aware of which is more flexible then most people would think and can stand extreme temps. Also i realize that it would be expensive and it wouldn't be a car just anyone can afford but i think it would be really kick ass

DodgeNitroBIRM
01-30-2004, 06:17 PM
Thank you that is the type of answer i was looking for. Their is a titanium allow which i am aware of which is more flexible then most people would think and can stand extreme temps. Also i realize that it would be expensive and it wouldn't be a car just anyone can afford but i think it would be really kick ass

Well, if titanium flexes too much, couldn't you sleeve the pistons with another metal? Somewhat like you would have to do to an alumanium motorcycle engine when you have to bore it out for a new piston (at least, that's what had to be done to my brother's old Honda CR125).

Add-on: BTW, Egg Nog, who was that pointed to?

Egg Nog
01-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Add-on: BTW, Egg Nog, who was that pointed to?

My bad :) That was directed at KarateBoy. And KarateBoy, just for the record, it wasn't supposed to sound overly-harsh, but if it did, I'm sorry.

KarateBoy
01-30-2004, 10:46 PM
My bad :) That was directed at KarateBoy. And KarateBoy, just for the record, it wasn't supposed to sound overly-harsh, but if it did, I'm sorry.

I guess i still have a lot more to learn about cars then i though.

Egg Nog
01-31-2004, 12:19 AM
I guess i still have a lot more to learn about cars then i though.

Nobody here will ever stop learning :) Gordon Murray is still learning about cars :)

Matra et Alpine
01-31-2004, 03:31 AM
Gordon Murray is still learning about cars :)
Yep, he's coming round for his lesson at 11.

oh :) :) :) :) :)

Egg Nog
01-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Yep, he's coming round for his lesson at 11.

oh :) :) :) :) :)

Nice ;)

I think we need to send Chris Bangle back to his community-college first-year art classes :D

Matra et Alpine
01-31-2004, 07:16 PM
I think we need to send Chris Bangle back to his community-college first-year art classes :D
Kindergarten with the big crayons and finger paints :)

Doza
02-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Titanium is tricky to cast, I know that much. That keeps it from being widely used. A titanium engine would be able to rev higher than one made from aluminum. When I say titanium, I mean moving parts(eg pistons, rods, valves, springs, pushrods, etc.) cast from titanium. Infiniti uses titanium valves on some of their vehicles now, allowing the engines to rev higher. http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,cid-31229_sctid-32005,00.html
I'm not an expert in cars, nor metallurgy, but, when I read how titanium was cast, it was trickier than rocking a rhyme.

crisis
02-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Titanium is tricky to cast, I know that much. That keeps it from being widely used. A titanium engine would be able to rev higher than one made from aluminum. When I say titanium, I mean moving parts(eg pistons, rods, valves, springs, pushrods, etc.) cast from titanium. Infiniti uses titanium valves on some of their vehicles now, allowing the engines to rev higher. http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,cid-31229_sctid-32005,00.html
I'm not an expert in cars, nor metallurgy, but, when I read how titanium was cast, it was trickier than rocking a rhyme.
Im not sure of the accuracy of your statement but it is a positive quality post.
+1
Constable Crisis.