PDA

View Full Version : Bmw Z1

Esperante
08-08-2005, 06:55 AM
I was upset that the Porsche and VW were both gone from the shop I went to, but I did find this promising Revell Premium kit (moulded in West Germany ;)) and was decent at $19.99. My guess is that Revell created the Premium line to compete with Fujimi's superiour Enthusiast Series. Anyway, I bought the original model, which features the actual car on the top of the box with samples of the model on the sides. It is now primarily availible in repackaging, with a painting of it on top.
It was everything I expected a Revell to be-difficult to attach the wheels and attach the body (the panel that attachted to the rear bumper was terribly warped, had to be heated to move back, and the convertible top was so badly warped it could not be used) to the chassis, but otherwise it ran pretty smoothly. The body itself, however, fit together beautifully.
In the time I was painting this model, I stumbled across a barely known stockpile of Enthusiast Models-there must have been at least 30. So my next project is, without a doubt, the 356 Speedster. :)

BTW-Worst problem I had was that the right/passenger side headlight cover didn't fit into the slot as it's supposed to, and, as a result, it dips down towards the middle. I'm still trying to find a way to fix it. ;)

Esperante
08-08-2005, 06:58 AM
I was worried about doing this in a two tone interior colour set (black and grey). But it looks absolutely fantastic now. :)
NOTE-since the decals are over 15 years old, they started to peel up right after application. These pictures were taken right after I did so , so that's why they might look bad. A little TLC and it was taken care of. :) The mirrors were not on solid enough yet to put the mirror plates in yet.

Dino Scuderia
08-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Good job on a difficult kit!

The Premium kits aren't engineered very well...haven't built any of mine but did some dry fitting. The Z1 was just reissued by Revell if you want to try again.

Esperante
08-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Nah, it came out fine, the pictures seem to make it look worse. ;)
I kind of hesitating opening up the door, for fear that it would not close, but it works fine. :)

henk4
08-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Good job on a difficult kit!

The Premium kits aren't engineered very well...haven't built any of mine but did some dry fitting. The Z1 was just reissued by Revell if you want to try again.

that si good news, because I forgot to buy mine. The premium kits were obviously good enough to become the Tamiya BMW850 :)

Dino Scuderia
08-08-2005, 08:31 AM
that si good news, because I forgot to buy mine. The premium kits were obviously good enough to become the Tamiya BMW850 :)

Yes, odd that.

henk4
08-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Yes, odd that.

and the Dinos came from Fujimi :)

Esperante
08-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Tamiya has a Dino?
Good news, because I can't find the Enthusiast Dino anymore.

Dino Scuderia
08-08-2005, 09:11 AM
and the Dinos came from Fujimi :)

What Dino's?
:confused:

henk4
08-08-2005, 09:26 AM
What Dino's?
:confused:

the 246 GT, in Europe they were sold as Revell kits and as Fujimi enthusiast models

Dino Scuderia
08-08-2005, 10:19 AM
the 246 GT, in Europe they were sold as Revell kits and as Fujimi enthusiast models

Yes, of course...thanks for the clarification.

Digitor
08-10-2005, 04:00 AM
Looks nice Esperante!:D

I've never heard of or seen Revell premium kits. Are they much more expensive than the regulars?

henk4
08-10-2005, 04:44 AM
Looks nice Esperante!:D

I've never heard of or seen Revell premium kits. Are they much more expensive than the regulars?

they were produced by Revell Germany and may not have made it outside the European markets. They were about double the price of a regular Revell kit, but worth it. You may have seen Tamiya's BMW850i, kit, whereby in a rare move Tamiya took over the Revell molds for this car, a procedure they repeated for the 318i. Both Tamiya kits were not sold in Europe.