PDA

View Full Version : Globalization at its best.

Quiggs
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group will use a transmission created by Nissan Motor Co. and a diesel engine supplied by Volkswagen AG in a new Dodge car, as part of efforts to cut the time and cost of vehicle development.

The 2007 Dodge Caliber, set to debut next year, will be available with a so-called continuously variable transmission developed by Nissan's Jatco Ltd. unit and a diesel engine for outside of the United States from Volkswagen, Chrysler engineering chief Eric Ridenour said last week. The car will use an all-wheel drive system developed with Mitsubishi Motors Corp., he said.

Chrysler, the third-largest U.S. automaker, is using partnerships with Japanese and European companies and parts borrowed from other units within DaimlerChrysler to streamline vehicle development. Chrysler has cut annual product development costs to about $6 billion from $8.4 billion since 2000, even as the automaker has added more models.

"If you don't have to invest in the technology and you can find someone with excess capacity to supply it, it's a good deal for both sides," David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, said. "There's lots of horse trading like this that's going to go on. It's a good example of the new business model."

The Jatco continuously variable transmission, which uses pulleys instead of gears to distribute power, cuts fuel economy by as much as 8 percent, said Ridenour, who takes over as Chrysler chief operating officer in January. The current chief operating officer, Tom LaSorda, will become chief executive.

Chrysler will get the transmissions from a Jatco plant that opens next year in Mexico. They are used on Nissan Lafesta models in Japan, Ridenour said.

To address complaints that transmissions sound different when they shift than a traditional automatic system with gears, Chrysler helped develop software that simulates the sound and feel of gear changes, he said.

The all-wheel drive system, which includes parts made by Mitsubishi in Japan, shifts from front- to rear-wheel-drive, depending on the situation.

At speeds between 30 and 60 mph, the system mostly uses rear-wheel drive to improve handling, Ridenour said. At slower speeds or when roads are slippery, it uses front-wheel drive.

The 2-liter Volkswagen direct-injection turbo diesel uses a higher-pressure fuel system to increase fuel efficiency and reduce pollutant emissions, he said. The engine, used in VW's Touareg sport-utility vehicle and planned for its new Golf cars, will be installed in Caliber models sold outside the United States, where diesels are more popular, Ridenour said.

"Nobody can afford to build everything they need anymore," Cole said, citing General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. cooperating to build transmissions and GM and DaimlerChrysler teaming up on engines. "Just about everybody's parts are for sale now."http://www.detnews.com/pix/2005/08/09/biz/b003-caliber-0805n_08-09-2005_4F7MTB6.jpg

An American car with a German engine, a Japanese drivetrain and transmission, made in Mexico. It wouldn't surprise me if final assembly for the Caliber was Canada.

Egg Nog
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't think a typical bloated SUV is anything "at its best". At least they're using a decent engine.

my porsche
08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
looks like a durango mixed with a ml500 mixed with a minivan

Coventrysucks
08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
What's wrong with Mercedes' CDi engines then?

Egg Nog
08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
What's wrong with Mercedes' CDi engines then?

More expensive/no parts available in North America.

aNOBLEman
08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
They aren't using the diesel for North America.

Egg Nog
08-09-2005, 07:33 PM
They aren't using the diesel for North America.
Aww *$(%@. Figures.

Vindesh17
08-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Whats wrong with Canada? Oh wait, I just looked out the window saw why.

Egg Nog
08-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Whats wrong with Canada? Oh wait, I just looked out the window saw why.

What?

Sackalack GT
08-09-2005, 09:09 PM
looks like a durango mixed with a ml500 mixed with a minivan

Looks like an ugly mixed with a hideous mixed with a repulsive

my porsche
08-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Looks like an ugly mixed with a hideous mixed with a repulsive
bingo, it was implied by the cars i listed (except the ml)

Egg Nog
08-09-2005, 10:24 PM
bingo, it was implied by the cars i listed (except the ml)

The ML is hideous. Although in your eyes, anything German looks good.

henk4
08-09-2005, 11:47 PM
they should first get the facts right in that press release. The VW 2-litre engine is NOT used in the Touareg, but in the Touran, a Golf based people carrier.

carbuff
08-10-2005, 06:53 AM
The ML Is Nice. Nice In The Same Way As You At A Bar And There Are Two People, One's A Transvestite The Otherones Just Plain Ugly

pAinTrAin
08-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Well the biggest Dodge plant is in Ontario.....I used to live down the street from it!