PDA

View Full Version : International flavour increases for Bathurst

fpv_gtho
08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/latestnews/newsdisplay.asp?Ind=M&gid=18214

International flavour for Orccon Racing
Release Date: 11/08/2005
Larkham – Orrcon Racing will be joined by a pair of international drivers for the upcoming endurance races, the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 and the Super Cheap Auto 1000 at Bathurst.

Joining regular drivers Jason Bargwanna and Mark Winterbottom for the 2005 enduros will be experienced Swiss-born Englishman Alain Menu and rising New Zealand star Matt Halliday.

With Bargwanna and Winterbottom set to pair up in the Number 10 Orrcon Racing Falcon, as they did successfully last year, Menu and Halliday will take the reigns of the Number 20 Orrcon Racing Falcon regularly driven in the Championship by Winterbottom.

Menu, 42, is one of the most experienced touring car drivers in the world. Throughout his career he has captured two British Touring Car Championships and finished runner-up on three occasions. He has also won the Tourist Trophy Race at Donnington Park twice and won the GTS class at the 1000 Miles of Petit LeMans.

He made his V8 Supercar debut at Bathurst in 1998 when he teamed up with Thomas Mezera. In 2000 he partnered Mark Larkham to 18th position before returning to Australia last year for his third start in Australia’s great race, this time with Adam Macrow.

Halliday began his career at age nine in go-karts and has since competed in a variety of categories including Formula Ford, Formula Holden, Indy Lights, Infinity Pro Series (IRL), Formula Renault V6 Eurocup, Trans Tasman GT3 Cup and Carrera Cup.

Halliday made his V8 Supercar debut with the team at last year’s Betta Electrical Sandown 500 teaming up with Larkham. In his first look at the Bathurst circuit Halliday was impressive with his consistent pace and alongside Larkham finished a creditable 11th.

Earlier this year the Kiwi finished runner-up in the 2005 New Zealand Porsche GT3 Championship. In the 2004 Trans Tasman GT3 Cup he also finished runner up, this time behind multiple Bathurst and Australian touring car Champion Jim Richards.

Halliday was also one of two New Zealanders to drive at the first A1 World Cup Grand Prix test day last week at Britain's Silverston circuit.

“Obviously I am pleased to re-sign two drivers that we have worked with in the past which was a big part of the decision as both drivers have done a highly competent and professional job at these events before, that demand nothing less,” said team owner Mark Larkham.

“At the same time I think it is a really nice blend of youth and experience.”

Larkham – Orrcon Racing’s regular drivers, Bargwanna and Winterbottom, will line up this weekend for Round 8 of the V8 Supercar Championship at Sydney’s Oran Park Raceway.

Orrcon is one of Australia's largest manufacturers and distributors of steel tube. With cutting edge technology and Quality Assurance certified to ISO 9001 in manufacturing, innovation, logistics and customer service solutions, Orrcon strives to achieve to be the best in Australia for the manufacture and supply of Precision, Structural and Oil & Gas Pipe.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/latestnews/newsdisplay.asp?Ind=M&gid=18216

Team BOC confirms endurance record
Release Date: 11/08/2005
Team BOC have today announced their enduro line up for the upcoming Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000 events. With former British touring car champ and Scottish driver John Cleland confirmed to join Dale Brede in one of the two Team BOC Falcons, the records for the longest serving international competitor have been sent tumbling.

By coming back to Australia in 2005 for his 11th attempt at The Mountain and Sandown, Cleland breaks all previous records held by his overseas counterparts, not including regular New Zealand drivers competing in the category on a regular basis.

“It will be great to be back and it’s hard to believe it’s my 11th time,” said Cleland from his southern Scottish Jaguar and Volvo Dealership.

“This will be my fifth time with BJR [Brad Jones Racing] and over the years we have built up a fantastic relationship and I’m glad they have invited me back for another chance.”

“I’ve had the chance to race with a number of teams over the last 11 years and these guys are easily the best outfit I’ve been involved with,” he added.

Cleland, who finished second at Bathurst with team boss Brad Jones in 2001 in what still rates as one of the closest Mountain finishes in history, is still as hungry as ever and the decision to use Dale Brede has his total support.

“It’s a great choice. I have seen Dale’s ability over the years at Bathurst and have kept on eye on him the Development Series this year. He has enormous talent and from what I’ve heard, he is a natural at not being too hard on his race cars.”

“I also wouldn’t be making the trip over [to Australia] if I didn’t think the car and driver package was capable of finishing on the podium. I have total faith that Dale and I can be right up there mixing it with the guys at the front,” Cleland concluded.

Team Principal Brad Jones added further – “John [Cleland] has proven that he is possibly the only European based driver to prove himself in V8 Supercars and the endurance races. Year after year, he has done exactly the right job. He is phenomenally talented and we’re delighted that he is coming back to race for us.”

The #21 Team BOC Falcon will again be driven by the pairing that finished on the podium at last year’s Bathurst 1000, Brad Jones and John Bowe.

“Brad [Jones] and I are one of the best combinations in V8 Supercars, so there was never going to be any change to that. Dale’s appointment is great for the team and it’s pleasing because I’m a big fan of his. He is a very capable driver with a very mature head on his shoulders,” said Bowe.

Matra et Alpine
08-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Didnt' realise john was up for a record.

The man is brilliant. "gritty" is the best way I can describe his on-track efforts :) BUT he used to be very supportive of our local track - he carries their sponsorship throughout his career. A really nice guy, unless you bash door handles and then Mr Hyde is sometimes let out :D

fpv_gtho
08-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Ever since his altercation last year between Jason Plato that left himself upside down at the end of the Chase, theres been alot of talk that Plato wasnt allowed to come back...that and his 2nd in 2001 with the team boss would be his most memorable points at the mountain, but the last few years the level of competition and competitiveness hav dropped him down the order significantly.

Hes always one of the better characters in the commentary though

Matra et Alpine
08-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Hes always one of the better characters in the commentary though
If he got bashed out in the first race of a round then he woudl often be interviewed on TV exaplining what happened and saying things liek "if he comes near me and tries that again I'll have him f*****g off". Those bits seldom went to air :D

fpv_gtho
08-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Most of what we get for Sandown and Bathurst involve him explaining how he got a drive through for giving a bit too much bif and barge through the corner and how hes got to adapt to the local code of conduct :p

But yeah last year there were some choice words aimed at Plato at why he was situated so close to the racing line with a puncture

SlickHolden
08-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Some say plato should stick to driving for 5th gear:p

Matra et Alpine
08-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Some say plato should stick to driving for 5th gear:p
saome say he should just stick to WALKING :D

SlickHolden
08-11-2005, 11:40 PM
saome say he should just stick to WALKING :D
LOL Taxi:D