PDA

View Full Version : On the 356's colour...

Esperante
08-13-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm stuck on trying to decide the colour of my 356 Speedster Enthusiast Kit.

I like jet black becuase, with the chrome trim, it looks extremely elegant and flowing, and casts wonderful reflections.

I like dark red (metallic) because it is a more vintage looking colour, and might suit the Porsche more classically.
http://www.kn.p-net.pl/hobby/porsche/galeria/356/356_speedster_04.jpg
This poll might actually decide the colouring.

taz_rocks_miami
08-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Most of the 356s I've seen have been silver or black. So, I would vote for the red.

blackcat77
08-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Ferraris should be red and Porsches should be silver.

Esperante
08-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Alright, here's what I think I will do...
I'm probably going to go with the black/red interior, a lot due to how unusual a red interior is. I'm planning that my next 356 (most likely a Cabriolet) will be the red w/black.

Dino Scuderia
08-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Good plan!

Spastik_Roach
08-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Ferraris should be red and Porsches should be silver.

Ferraris look way better in a light blue than "Ferrari red" in my opinion..

henk4
08-14-2005, 12:12 AM
If you see them in black they are most likely replicas. Red, white and silver would be the acceptable colours, besides, getting a immaculate black finish os much more difficult than silver

Here are two examples, recently taken, the interior belongs to the white/cream car

drakkie
08-14-2005, 01:24 AM
to be honest, i find white/creme the best color.this makes it look "vintage" too

pimento
08-14-2005, 05:56 AM
If it's a speedster, definately red. Otherwise I'd go black or silver.

Dino Scuderia
08-14-2005, 07:23 AM
If you see them in black they are most likely replicas. Red, white and silver would be the acceptable colours, besides, getting a immaculate black finish os much more difficult than silver

Here are two examples, recently taken, the interior belongs to the white/cream car

To me black is easier because I can get the surface near perfect and black hides everything under it....silver on the other hand shows every imperfection under it so your body prep and surface finsh have to be perfect for it to look good.

henk4
08-14-2005, 08:09 AM
To me black is easier because I can get the surface near perfect and black hides everything under it....silver on the other hand shows every imperfection under it so your body prep and surface finsh have to be perfect for it to look good.

black paint has the nasty habit to show all your fingerprints...

Esperante
08-14-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm still considering red (I'm considering Tamiya Mica Red in particular) but black is still most likely to be what will happen. I don't usually touch the body of the car during assembly, anyway.

henk4
08-14-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't usually touch the body of the car during assembly, anyway.

as if by magic you perform the wedding ceremony with the chassis?? :)

Esperante
08-14-2005, 08:52 AM
I usually put tissue between my fingers and the body. But that which you recommend isn't a bad idea either... ;)

henk4
08-14-2005, 08:55 AM
I usually put tissue between my fingers and the body. But that which you recommend isn't a bad idea either... ;)

the idea of the tissue is nice, but I find it always amazing how much work is still needed on the body after a nice paint job. (window frame, inserting of the windows, decals etc)

P3RG4R3C
08-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Ferraris look way better in a light blue than "Ferrari red" in my opinion..

I agree... :)

Thanks to henk for the picture. :)

Esperante
08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
As Volkswagen calls it, 'vapour blue.' Very nice colour.

Henk-the nice thing about this model is that the windows attach to the convertible top, not the body, so it makes it easier to 'marry the body to the chassis.' ;)

-This picture is convincing me that black is better...
http://vea.qc.ca/vea/v/po356as55.jpg

Digitor
08-18-2005, 04:21 AM
Yeah, shine up the chrome real good and it would look mean :cool:

henk4
08-18-2005, 06:01 AM

Currently there are a couple of black speedsters on auction in Monterey. Both have there black paint added later, one was red originally, the colour of the other one was not specifically stated.

Esperante
08-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Here is a question...I'm doing the black, no doubt now, but since it has to be in either red or beige interior (red for me) would the convertible top be red also? this is where I disagreed with the instructions, as I always believed the tops to be black.

Dino Scuderia
08-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Don't think I've seen one with a red top, mostly tan or black.

henk4
08-19-2005, 09:50 PM
black, today I saw one in Calsonic blue, it was the second Carrera Speedster ever made and it looked gorgeous.

Esperante
08-20-2005, 09:37 AM
black, today I saw one in Calsonic blue, it was the second Carrera Speedster ever made and it looked gorgeous.
Coincidence? I'm working on a Calsonic R33 right now. :p Was the Speedster in its original colour?

henk4
08-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Coincidence? I'm working on a Calsonic R33 right now. :p Was the Speedster in its original colour?
not totally sure about that, but the guy owns the first 3 ever regular speedsters (white, silver and red) and the first two carreras (white and blue), so he might have looked for original colours. They were on auction as one lot at the Bonhams auction in Monterey last Friday, but did not sell.