PDA

View Full Version : Apache HTTP Server

Suka
08-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Right, i have downloaded the Apache HTTP Server program, so i can host my own website, rather than pay for hosting. Is anyone familiar with the program? Because i could do with a bit of help.

Suka
08-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Either that, or a little help with Coldfusion MX, which is the other piece of software i have.

pimento
08-17-2005, 12:04 AM
Besides the need for a static IP address routed to the computer that is hosting it (port 80 for http) and to buy a domain name, I've no idea. I've set up one using the microsoft equivalent in a class once, but it was pretty basic.

Suka
08-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Besides the need for a static IP address routed to the computer that is hosting it (port 80 for http) and to buy a domain name, I've no idea. I've set up one using the microsoft equivalent in a class once, but it was pretty basic.
Well, i have a static IP (i think) and brought a domain name on the spur of the moment the other day (it was £5, then £3 a year), so can any decent webmasters help me out? Or can someone offer me free hosting?? :D

drakkie
08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
i get 50mb free from geocities.also my second ebsite is hosted for free on the webserver of the school. my thrid website has unlimited server space on the server for Thinkquest( = international website buiilding comp). my latest one is hosted on the 50mb server room, freely provided by the ISP.

Suka
08-17-2005, 12:44 AM
i get 50mb free from geocities.also my second ebsite is hosted for free on the webserver of the school. my thrid website has unlimited server space on the server for Thinkquest( = international website buiilding comp). my latest one is hosted on the 50mb server room, freely provided by the ISP.
Hm...that doesn't really help. Unless you are offering me free hosting.

drakkie
08-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Hm...that doesn't really help. Unless you are offering me free hosting.

have a look at geocities.com or something.they offer 50mb free to everyone.there are only pop-ups ads once in a while.

Suka
08-17-2005, 03:41 AM
have a look at geocities.com or something.they offer 50mb free to everyone.there are only pop-ups ads once in a while.
Thats not what i really wanted, i have to use page builder with them. I am designing the site on Dreamweaver. Unless i am missing something, it would be hard to get what i wanted.

drakkie
08-17-2005, 03:52 AM
http://www.tripod.lycos.com/
perhaps, lycos s a bit more of your taste

drakkie
08-17-2005, 04:01 AM
do you know, that hosting the server from your own computer requires the pc to be on 24 hours a day ?

Suka
08-17-2005, 05:04 AM
do you know, that hosting the server from your own computer requires the pc to be on 24 hours a day ?
Yes.

New problem, port 80 will not open on my PC. I have removed it from the Norton Internet Security list thingy, but it is still blocked, any other ideas as to what it could be? Help!?

Matra et Alpine
08-17-2005, 07:10 AM
AND your ISP to allow it :D

pimento
08-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Yes.

New problem, port 80 will not open on my PC. I have removed it from the Norton Internet Security list thingy, but it is still blocked, any other ideas as to what it could be? Help!?

Got a router? You'll need to forward that port to the computer hosting the page if so.

BjD
08-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I did play with this a couple of years ago. Theres a big config file which sets out how it works, theres a couple of lines in there to change to set out your ip and what port to listen on. THIS (http://enscape.net/index.php?pg=4&id=114) is the guide I was following at the time. You also have to forward port 80 to your computer if you have a router. if you dont have a static IP look at someone like no-ip.com for a dynamic DNS service.

As Matra says ISP's generally don't like you doing this, and you are also restricted by your upload bandwidth, meaning its going to be damn slow if more than a couple of people are browsing at the same time. I was also concerned about security. I used it for about a week before getting some proper hosting :) Its not expensive these days, you may even have some provided by your ISP.