PDA

View Full Version : Market Research

my porsche
08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
This Fall/Winter I will be doing a sort of catering company, for seasonal treats (desserts) and sweet snacks. Things like Cakes, Pies, Cookies, Chocolate Truffles, Ice Cream etc. All things i can make reasonably easily and cheaply.

So here comes your part. How much would you be willing to pay for the things i have on the list so far (USD Please) If you need me to describe what something is or whats in it, i would be happy to do so. Just write a price next to the thing you think you would order, and how many you would order.

I am doing this so i have a general idea of what i should charge, and therefore how much profit i could make.

-Thanks,

Colin

P.S. You can (and should!) also suggest things you think you or others might like!

Here is what i have thought of so far (everything is homemade, no storebought, except milk sugar etc...)

Cheese Cakes:
Irish cream cheesecake
Pumpkin cheesecake
New york cheesecake
Praline Cheesecake

Cakes:
German Chocolate Cake

Pies:
Coconut Crème Pie
Chocolate Crème Pie
Key Lime Pie
Assorted Fruit Pies

Candies:
Chocolate Truffles
Candied Orange, Lime, Lemon or Grapefruit Peels
Chocolate Covered Orange, Lime, Lemon or Grapefruit Peels

Small Desserts:
Rum Balls
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
Gingersnap Cookies
Brownies
Fudge

Desserts:
Tirimisu
Crème Brulee
Pumpkin Crème Brulee
Canoli

IWantAnAudiRS6
08-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I'd get some ginger snaps from that :)

Charge... $10 for a box? i don't know what pricing is like there, unfortunately.

I recommend you make some Guiness cake- chocolate cake with half a can (220ml) of Guiness- it's amazing. You have to make it gooey, and shove some clotted cream on top.

IWantAnAudiRS6
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Also, put in Shoo Fly Pie.

taz_rocks_miami
08-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Congrats on the idea Colin!! The best way to do this kind of research is to investigate the prices for these producs in your area. Why? Cuz a person in say...NY might be willing to pay more for a cheese cake than a person in...California, TX or anyware else. Every market is different, so concentrate your research to your market. :)

spi-ti-tout
08-24-2005, 01:38 PM
I'll ask my mom what she thinks. She does major catering from home as well (lots of experience in the business) and I think she may be very helpful in lending a helpful hand in advise. Hope it all goes well, I'll PM you when I get her reply ;). her perspective/viewpoint however may be slightly different because of location and because me makes more lunch/dinner type of food. Unfortunately the only person who never gets her food is me, because there's never any left :( :p.

my porsche
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
well if theres none left it must mean its good! :D

yeah good point hector i thought about it after i posted, but i didnt really feel like changing it though :p

edit: and it was my mom's idea, so i cant take credit :D

taz_rocks_miami
08-24-2005, 07:57 PM
edit: and it was my mom's idea, so i cant take credit :D

AHEM...I suggested it to you a few times too.

targa
08-24-2005, 08:20 PM
serve real truffles.....mmmmm

Spastik_Roach
08-24-2005, 11:47 PM
How about you do a pavlova, maybe not a good idea if you're gunna be serving this up to hard core right wing redneck Texans as they won't eat anything thats unamerican :D j/k, but its a ub3r-nice dessert. You can put many different types of fruit on top of it, berrys, the traditional thing in New Zealand is Kiwifruit but I doubt you get Kiwifruit in America.

http://www.lintontweeds.co.uk/BobbinCakes/Rasp%20pavlova.jpg

PM me if you want a really good recipe for it.

drakkie
08-25-2005, 12:52 AM
when im home, i will scan a recipe of my dads grandma for the original " Schwarzwalder kirschetorte" = south-german cherry/chocolate cake ! it tastes great.

i am now at school, so no recipe nearby.

my porsche
08-25-2005, 06:17 AM
How about you do a pavlova, maybe not a good idea if you're gunna be serving this up to hard core right wing redneck Texans as they won't eat anything thats unamerican :D j/k, but its a ub3r-nice dessert. You can put many different types of fruit on top of it, berrys, the traditional thing in New Zealand is Kiwifruit but I doubt you get Kiwifruit in America.

PM me if you want a really good recipe for it.
no way man! i love kiwis! of course we get them here! :confused: :D

and people eat everything here, houston is split 50-50 right-left, and its basically every culture ever in one city, so theres every type of food you can imagine here

drakkie that reminded me of something i made one time that was damn good, its a black forest chocolate cherry cheesecake with oreo crumb crust, oh y god, it was so good, i made it for my german class :D

yes i would be interested in a pavlova recipe, is it just like a custard with fruit in it?

Schumacher
08-26-2005, 06:42 AM
For first:
tirimisu -> tiramisù
canoli -> cannoli
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/3527/cannoli.jpg ??

Second
I was tinking that the best, easy to produce and very cheaper is the italian icecream.
Yuo have a big lot of varieties and it's very very very gooooood (6o because is good)
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Schumacher
08-26-2005, 06:44 AM
For cake: St. Onorè :D :D

my porsche
08-26-2005, 08:49 AM
i dont know how to do accent marks on the computer, and cannoli was a type-o :D

you mean like gelato, or granita?

Spastik_Roach
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
i dont know how to do accent marks on the computer, and cannoli was a type-o :D

you mean like gelato, or granita?

Gelato is heavenly...mmmmmn Gelato

my porsche
08-27-2005, 06:16 PM
i know i love it, if any of the seattle members read this, go to the gelato place behind the lennin statue, OMG its oooo damn good