shockwaveracing---103002--21--3
Dino Scuderia------103749--23--2
Adamfraser---------103755--3-7
magracer----------104063--1--8
SIMPLETON--------104521--8--6
challenger------------------9--5
bob------------------------1--8

rules:
Each comp. starts Monday morning, ending Sunday at midnight.
The winner of the previous comp. will choose the car, track, tires, modifications of the new comp.
If the time submitted by someone is unreallistically fast it will be excluded.
You will PM your best time to SIMPLETON.
You MUST PM your time to me if you wish for it to be included.
The only member(s) who may post their time before Comp. is over, are
My Porsche
The one with the fastest time will be the winner.
If you have a time that you think will win, take a picture as proof. If you win you will have to present this photo as proof.
If I find out that any time is false, goes against any rules, or is done through any use of unfair play or cheatery, the user will be banned from the competition for one week and will be stripped of all their points.
Scoring goes like this:
1st place recieves 10 points.
2nd place get 8.
3rd gets 6.
4th gets 4
5nd gets 2.
Everybody else recieves 1 point.
There will be a secret time that, under the rules, should be easy to obtain. This will be called the target time. If you meet the target time you will recieve an additional 1 point.

so what'll it be this week Jack? oh and ive got the F1 car back again, sooo......[/hint] ;)

Dino Scuderia
08-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Congrats Jack! Where are you taking us this week?

Good to see the new challengers in there!

TheOne
08-29-2005, 08:23 PM
yeh whats the new challange jack, i wanna get back in this:(
(been out cause been busy)

6'bore
08-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Lol. I will enter this comp this week, definitly. But it's a waste of time because Jack has this comp owned.

magracer
08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
But it's a waste of time because Jack has this comp owned.

Not totally. It motivates me to develop my driving skills, as well as using my PS2 and Logitech wheel which otherwise would rest unused. My first challenge (#5) I was 6 secs behind, now I'm a little less than 2 secs. If you time adjust that (1'40 vs 1'00 laps) it means I have halved the difference. I´m still in Minardi league compared to the leaders, but it´s all due to my fault, not the cars.

So what will it be?

Mag

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
so what'll it be this week Jack? oh and ive got the F1 car back again, sooo......[/hint]

Ok, how many people here have the F1 car here? I know I suggested it a few weeks ago and got mixed opinions, but would people be up for an F1 based challenge? I wouldn't want to do it if it meant excluding too many people, but it would be fun if you guys fancy it. :)

Post your opinions, yay or nay.

Dino Scuderia
08-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Ok, how many people here have the F1 car here? I know I suggested it a few weeks ago and got mixed opinions, but would people be up for an F1 based challenge? I wouldn't want to do it if it meant excluding too many people, but it would be fun if you guys fancy it. :)

Post your opinions, yay or nay.

Hey, how'd your car get 730HP? mine only goes to 600 on Quick Tune. :confused:

I do have the F1 car BTW.

SIMPLETON
08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
thats a 46% gain in power over stock, ours only go to 20. possibly the secret to his succes? :rolleyes:

Bob
08-30-2005, 03:23 PM
BHP guys, you probably have yours in HP (i think, i hope im not making a fool of myself)

anyway i have F1 and will be in this weeks challenge

magracer
08-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Got the F1 and I´m willing to race it, but I gotta say it´s not that much fun on bumpy tracks, so keep it smooth... Maybe suzuka (complete). It would be a nice step from this weeks challenge.

So, how do we get our Fairladys to develop that much power?

Mag

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 03:44 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok, I'm confused. You guys say that yours only go to 600 in quick tune, that right? Mine has 608 bhp STOCK. Adding the 20% quicktune takes it 730. The weight of mine is 1120kg STOCK and 1008 after the 10% reduction.

I don't actually own the car anymore in GT mode so can't really check what it comes with when you first get it. Can anyone do this for me please.

Can we clarify that we were all using the same car here: Nissan Fairlady Z Concept LM Race Car '02

The only explanation I can think of is that it is perhaps a quirk in the game whereby there are slight differences in stats between the US and UK versions of the game. Any other theories???

my porsche
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM
ah HAH! the secret is exposed, not pointing fingers or anything, but it could be why he is whooping us every time, i KNEW i wasnt THAT bad! :p

and i have an f1

GT F1
08-30-2005, 04:03 PM
He's using the British version which is BHP and the american version is HP. :)

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 04:12 PM
He's using the British version which is BHP and the american version is HP. :)

Can anyone confirm that this is true? On the main session screen (the one I took a pic of) does it come up as "HP" or "BHP" for you guys in the states?

my porsche
08-30-2005, 04:16 PM
yes it is in BHP, BUT bhp is almost the same, its not 143hp difference

GT F1
08-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Yeah, you're right. Stupid inadequate progamming, it won't convert HP to BHP.

my porsche
08-30-2005, 04:27 PM
i sense sarcasm....

GT F1
08-30-2005, 04:30 PM
i sense sarcasm....
The progamming was incomplete that's why HP won't convert to BHP. ;)
EX: 500HP=500BHP

Dino Scuderia
08-30-2005, 04:31 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok, I'm confused. You guys say that yours only go to 600 in quick tune, that right? Mine has 608 bhp STOCK. Adding the 20% quicktune takes it 730. The weight of mine is 1120kg STOCK and 1008 after the 10% reduction.

I don't actually own the car anymore in GT mode so can't really check what it comes with when you first get it. Can anyone do this for me please.

Can we clarify that we were all using the same car here: Nissan Fairlady Z Concept LM Race Car '02

The only explanation I can think of is that it is perhaps a quirk in the game whereby there are slight differences in stats between the US and UK versions of the game. Any other theories???

Yes, ours is in HP.

my porsche
08-30-2005, 04:34 PM
no its just the same thing, read:

bhp is the symbol for Brake Horsepower. It is just a way to measure the horsepower a vehicle. Basically it is just a brake attached to the shaft.

Since horsepower is the power output, and brake horsepower is the effective power output, bhp may be slightly lower, but they are the same thing.

A 1.5 bhp engine is a 1.5 hp engine.

so the conclusion would be that EITHER jack used a different car, and some nifty PS work, or he tuned the car in GT4 mode

GT F1
08-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Are some of you all using the Nissan Fairlady Z Concept LM RC and others using the Nissan 350Z Concept LM RC?

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Ok maybe we should check a few of my previous ones.

Here are the screenshots of 4 of my previous winning times, could somebody please check whether there is the same discrepancy between power figures between the UK and US versions. :)

Also, I was always under the impression that HP and BHP were essentially the same thing. The "brake" part is just added as a reference to the way in which it is measured.

Stolen from http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/power1.htm

BHP and HP
All the B means is "brake". The old word for a dyno - because the engine torque was measured by applying a brake to the flywheel rather than a torque converter or electrical motor which is how it's done nowadays. There's no other difference between the two and they both just mean horsepower.

GT F1
08-30-2005, 04:39 PM
no its just the same thing, read:

so the conclusion would be that EITHER jack used a different car, and some nifty PS work, or he tuned the car in GT4 mode
I thought in GT4 they just forgot to program it to convert the HP to BHP, in the American Version? :confused:

SIMPLETON
08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
I wouldnt mind racing on Super Speedway. That would be REALLY, really close racing. I'm talking maybe several thousandths between winning and losing. OR we could do Nurburgring. THAT would really seperate the winners and losers.

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
so the conclusion would be that EITHER jack used a different car, and some nifty PS work

I used the exact car that I specified when I set the challenge, with the full quicktune as the rules specified. Plus I have absolutely no knowledge of photo-shopping so I DEFINITELY couldn't have faked it like that. (I doubt anyone could to be honest!)

or he tuned the car in GT4 mode

Tuning in GT mode doesn't have any bearing on the power in arcade mode as far as I know. I've checked and, for example, my BMW GTR Race Car has 670bhp in GT mode yet in arcade mode it came with 444bhp stock when we did the challenge a few weeks ago. Also my Elise as over 300bhp in GT mode but went back to the standard 189bhp for the challenge we did the other week.

Plus as I said earlier I don't even have the car in GT mode anymore, I sold it after just a few races IIRC. :)

Bob
08-30-2005, 04:56 PM
how about someone who uses hp just changes the games setting (setttings>misc) to bhp and tries the car and sees what comes up.

Look how close his time is to the rest of us. He obviously is using the same car.

SIMPLETON
08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Maybe it has something to do with you selling the car. Did Jack ever tune the car while he owned it. Maybe someone should tune this car to the max in GT mode and then sell it. Lets see what happens.

Dino Scuderia
08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I used the exact car that I specified when I set the challenge, with the full quicktune as the rules specified. Plus I have absolutely no knowledge of photo-shopping so I DEFINITELY couldn't have faked it like that. (I doubt anyone could to be honest!)

Tuning in GT mode doesn't have any bearing on the power in arcade mode as far as I know. I've checked and, for example, my BMW GTR Race Car has 670bhp in GT mode yet in arcade mode it came with 444bhp stock when we did the challenge a few weeks ago. Also my Elise as over 300bhp in GT mode but went back to the standard 189bhp for the challenge we did the other week.

Plus as I said earlier I don't even have the car in GT mode anymore, I sold it after just a few races IIRC. :)

The Elise tunes to 227HP in my game, so there's a difference in the other direction.

Edit: Standard HP is 189 for it so same as Jack's.

GT F1
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
how about someone who uses hp just changes the games setting (setttings>misc) to bhp and tries the car and sees what comes up.

Look how close his time is to the rest of us. He obviously is using the same car, bhp is smaller than hp, the diff is small at low power, but in higher powered vehicles its noticable. I posted this like fourth thing in the thread, everyone ignore me?

The progamming was incomplete that's why HP won't convert to BHP.;)
EX: 500HP=500BHP
Anyone listen to me? :rolleyes::D

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 05:06 PM

Well, I tried changing the units on mine and as I expected it came up with exactly the same figues. I'm telling you, there is no appreciable difference between HP and BHP.

Has anybody gone back to check the power figures of the previous challenges that I attached earlier? I really would like to know whether this is just some bizarre quirk of the game with this particular car or if there is a more serious problem here. :)

Bob
08-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Ok i just researched this a bit http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-powerunits.htm and bhp=hp i was wrong, however, in the game, it does not convert right, so jack got a diff number. Anyway, its clearly the same, look how close times are and have been before. I do know that in the game bhp is smaller than hp, so GT F1 is right.

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Maybe it has something to do with you selling the car. Did Jack ever tune the car while he owned it. Maybe someone should tune this car to the max in GT mode and then sell it. Lets see what happens.

I have no idea whether I tuned it when I owned it or not it was ages ago, sorry! :o

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 05:14 PM
The Elise tunes to 227HP in my game, so there's a difference in the other direction.

Edit: Standard HP is 189 for it so same as Jack's.

Yep, that's all hunky dory.

Would you (or anyone else for that matter) mind just quickly double-checking the other ones I attached a few minutes ago.

The figures were:

Mini Cooper S: 160bhp stock, 191 tuned

BMW M3 GTR Race Car '03: 443bhp stock, 533 tuned

AC Cars 427: 478 stock, 574 tuned

Thanks in advance. :)

Dino Scuderia
08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Yep, that's all hunky dory.

Would you (or anyone else for that matter) mind just quickly double-checking the other ones I attached a few minutes ago.

The figures were:

Mini Cooper S: 160bhp stock, 191 tuned

BMW M3 GTR Race Car '03: 443bhp stock, 533 tuned

AC Cars 427: 478 stock, 574 tuned

Thanks in advance. :)

Mine are all the same as you quoted on these cars. Something strange about the Fairlady then eh?

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Mine are all the same as you quoted on these cars. Something strange about the Fairlady then eh?

Yeah I guess so. Very weird! :confused:

Anyways, best get on with this week's fun and games I guess....

Challenge #9:

Arcade mode, time trial as per usual.

Car: Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo '04

Tyres: Racing Super Soft

Track: Suzuka Full GP Circuit

Quicktune: None at all, car as stock

Driver Aids: TCS only

Also this week, in a break from tradition, I'm gonna give you the 'target time' in advance. The time to beat is 1'32.730, which is the official Suzuka race lap record set by Rubens Barrichello in 2004. To be honest I have no idea if that time is even possible as I haven't tried yet, but it'll be an interesting insight into how accurate the car is compared to a real life F1 car. :)

Enjoy!

(PS Thanks to 'Magracer' for the suggestion for this challenge :) )

Dino Scuderia
08-30-2005, 06:10 PM
So hard tires then?

Jack_Bauer
08-30-2005, 06:13 PM
So hard tires then?

Oops! Sorry, I meant to say Racing Super Soft tires. With hard tyres I doubt there'd be a hope in hell of reaching the target time. I shall amend the previous post.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' :)

my porsche
08-30-2005, 07:06 PM
yeah this is weird

my friend tuned his m3 csl and its like 100hp more than mine!

anyway jack, i didnt accuse you, i was just stating its the obvious conclusion after you see the hp

just a mess up in the game i guess?

shockwaveracing
08-31-2005, 12:47 AM
NTSC to PAL conversion anyone... maybe they changed the readings from hp to kw

also which race would you get the Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo from?

Dino Scuderia
08-31-2005, 04:09 AM
NTSC to PAL conversion anyone... maybe they changed the readings from hp to kw

also which race would you get the Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo from?

You get it by winning the 24 hours at the 'ring.
:eek:

adamfraser
08-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Well i will have a shot at this :D

AF

magracer
08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
(PS Thanks to 'Magracer' for the suggestion for this challenge :) )

You are welcome!

Now, if you could PM me all your go fast tricks (such as braking points, entry and exit speed per corner, gears used, partial times, etc) I will call it even... :D :D :D

Mag

shockwaveracing
09-01-2005, 06:07 AM
You get it by winning the 24 hours at the 'ring.
:eek:

well i am stuffed then, coz i haven't got time to get the f1 before sunday... will just have to wait til the next comp...

magracer
09-01-2005, 06:35 AM
If you own a sports prototype just leave it overnight on B-Spec, then go to work (or school) and by the time you come back you´ll have the F1. I recommend the Nissan 92C.

You can do it at x2 speed, but it comes back to x1 speed after the first pitstop. You'd have to reset it to x2 after each pit stop (every hour or so) to do it in 12 hours.

Mag

shockwaveracing
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
If you own a sports prototype just leave it overnight on B-Spec, then go to work (or school) and by the time you come back you´ll have the F1. I recommend the Nissan 92C.

You can do it at x2 speed, but it comes back to x1 speed after the first pitstop. You'd have to reset it to x2 after each pit stop (every hour or so) to do it in 12 hours.

Mag

i will give that a try coz i am pretty sure i have the Nissan 92C...

TheOne
09-02-2005, 09:05 PM
oh man....do the nur to get that car to compete in this comp.....sounds like a lot of work i might not do.......and i hate b-spec:).(i like to actually race rather than let it race)

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 09:49 PM
EDIT: WTF is quicktune? :confused:

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 09:58 PM
EDIT: and WTF is quicktune? :confused:

You can add/remove like 20% weight and power and simply turn on/off the electronics

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 10:16 PM
oh man....do the nur to get that car to compete in this comp.....sounds like a lot of work i might not do.......and i hate b-spec:).(i like to actually race rather than let it race)

do u want to race for 24 hours? i dont :p

my porsche
09-03-2005, 07:11 AM
the f1 car racing on the ring=sure death its wayyyy too bumpy for that :D

i think ill compete, but ill probably lose worse this time as i hate this car, let m know when we do a mazda 787 on the ring :D

SIMPLETON
09-04-2005, 05:27 AM
Last day, get your times in soon

Dino Scuderia
09-04-2005, 06:05 AM
I haven't been able to master this car at all...not that I have any of them...but one tiny mistake and the whole lap is shot with this car.

fpv_gtho
09-04-2005, 06:34 AM
I had similar problems, especially around 130R :p

Dino Scuderia
09-04-2005, 06:59 AM
130R was no problem...although I lost the back end there a couple times....just tapping the brake at 208mph going in...then that seemed to scrub off a good bit of speed so I had to downshift to 6th to gain a bit back before the dreadful chicane.

Going into turn one I was usually hitting 209mph...lost the back end there a few times too.

magracer
09-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Same here, maniac snap oversteer on 130R.

my porsche
09-04-2005, 10:47 PM
whats 130R?

fpv_gtho
09-04-2005, 11:02 PM
the big full throttle corner leading to the chicane before the end of the lap, near the crossover

Blue Supra
09-05-2005, 12:12 AM
i have chronic problems with the 130R. Its unforgiving if you stuff it :(

my porsche
09-05-2005, 09:12 AM
oh i absolutely love that corner! ive figured out how to do it properly ;)