PDA

View Full Version : Lancia Future Direction

lightweight
08-30-2005, 02:36 PM
What do you think should be the future of the Lancia brand?

In the past Lancia was a sporty brand, relating its name with rallying success. The cars were quite focused on performance.

Now, after a short interim period for Lancia, they have come back. The brand now focuses on luxury and comfort. However, they still haven't managed to sell the volume that is required to break even.

Do you think they should continue to embark "strange" styling like we have seen on previous models, or should they try and go a bit mainstream to cut their costs a bit?

McReis
08-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Lancia, as it is, it's useless in terms of profit. Since Fiat's are far from being sporty cars, I think they should try to take profit from Lancia heritage, building some nice more uncompromising sports cars. Edgier than Alfa perhaps. That or just kill the name. Because it's better to put an end to Lancia than trying to make it a luxury and comfot badge. It's like trying to put Ferrari battling in Rolls-Royce and Bentley benchmarket.

forza_autodelta
08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
they don't sell anything in France...it's been eclipsed by Alfa here , perhaps they should concentrate their efforts on a quite luxurious car , as the 166 and the 607 for example :confused:

lightweight
08-30-2005, 03:07 PM
I thought that they should take advantage of the Alfa platforms and create a luxurious Alfa derivative (just like VW and Audi)

I know purists will say that it will spoil the finesse of the brand and the hisory etc. I know, but if the marque wants to survive it has to cut costs. A sensible way to do that is with shared components. Thay can share engines and body shells with Alfas and cut costs by a big margin.

They should also sell a hatch. Something has been said about a Delta successor. Good idea, The name is known to consumers. They can build on the heritage of the Delta name. Heritage sells, and the big bucks come with hatches.

Then an SUV shared with the proposed Alfs Kamal.

Am I going too far? :rolleyes:

The_Canuck
08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
mabye they should make an STi/EVO killer :p

Vega
08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
They did, it was the Delta - built 20years ago...
So fast they banned them from rally

Where do you think the name Lancer comes from?
ie If you can't beat them - join them...

(It may seem I have a slightly biased opinion) :p

henk4
08-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Lancia is planning to introduce a new Delta next year, and based on what they did in the past, it will probably be based on the Fiat Stilo platform, nothing inspiring therefore.
Current bestseller is the Y(psilon), a very popular car among the richer urban femal professionals. The Thesis, with its quirky styling is not the seller as expected, in spite of being a good car, but having to compete in a German dominated market, in which the key word is "depreciation".
On top of that build quality/reliability problems have been part of the brand for ages, and that is a reputation which you cannot change right away.
The Fulvia concept shown recently (1-2 years ago?) could be a real start to create a niche market.

forza_autodelta
08-31-2005, 12:50 AM
the fulvia was shown last year , as the sprint

lightweight
08-31-2005, 02:18 AM
Is it me or Lancia atteacts more female buyers? I think its a smart move, as all new cars are muscular with 18 inch rims, 4 exhaust pipes and turbochargers.

I tell you, if women were more liberated thtoughout the planet, Lancia would rule the markets (But again, other manufacturers would compete and squash them :D )

sunk
08-31-2005, 07:17 AM
i had put up a similar theard sometime earlier. I am really not concerned with their road cars. I just want them to race, and race........and just race.

kennyknoxville
08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
i know nothing and care very little about lancia aside from the stratos

ZeTurbo
08-31-2005, 12:16 PM
i think McReis has the best point.

Fiat should take advantage of lancia's heritage image and make it a enthusiast carmaker.

that stratos concept shown this year was really nice. as was the fulviaconcept henk mentined. they should take it from there.

The new delta should have been based on the brera platform, i really hope they wont mess this up. the delta is one of coollest hatches EVER made!

Lagonda
08-31-2005, 03:03 PM
I agree that Lancia needs to do something. The sharing with Alfa Romeo doesn't sound too bad but still...

But, oh boy is that Thesis a beautiful car !

sunk
09-01-2005, 03:34 AM
i think McReis has the best point.

Fiat should take advantage of lancia's heritage image and make it a enthusiast carmaker.

that stratos concept shown this year was really nice. as was the fulviaconcept henk mentined. they should take it from there.

The new delta should have been based on the brera platform, i really hope they wont mess this up. the delta is one of coollest hatches EVER made!
hey! ZeTurbo, i some time ago made a thread on Lancia "Is this a Lancia".
Then again i suggested to others that Lancia should make enthusiast cars.
Do you know what they said?

They all said @%#$^#$%@#

I suggest you have a look there.

henk4
09-01-2005, 03:35 AM
hey! ZeTurbo, i some time ago made a thread on Lancia "Is this a Lancia".
Then again i suggested to others that Lancia should make enthusiast cars.
Do you know what they said?

They all said @%#$^#$%@#

I suggest you have a look there.

who are they? Lancia? Fiat?

sunk
09-01-2005, 03:46 AM
who are they? Lancia? Fiat?
Forgot so soon?
"they" is YOU.
Have a look at my thread again.

henk4
09-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Forgot so soon?
"they" is YOU.
Have a look at my thread again.

Me???

sunk
09-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Me???
Just scroll to the bottom of this page.
Click on the "is this a lancia" in related threads.
Anyway this was not directed only aganist you.

henk4
09-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Just scroll to the bottom of this page.
Click on the "is this a lancia" in related threads.
Anyway this was not directed only aganist you.

it should not at all be directed against me, because I did not make a single post in that thread :)

sunk
09-01-2005, 05:26 AM
it should not at all be directed against me, because I did not make a single post in that thread :)
whoops!!
I hope Wouter is reading this.

henk4
09-01-2005, 05:27 AM
whoops!!
I hope Wouter is reading this.

that is his responsibility

McReis
09-01-2005, 07:18 AM
My opinion is that the Fulvia Concept would be the perfect car to relaunch Lancia and reposition it in the market. It wouldn't be an outsandingly expensive car to produce, since it is a FWD. And being one, it could have a platform to be shared with other sports cars. It could even be a new contender at the new Rally S2000 class. I just can't think of another Sandro Munaro to put at the wheel. :)

The detail shown on the Fulvia Concept Car, make's think the car has been close to production. And it's a shame, for us enthusiasts, that instead of making that leap of faith, Lancia keeps being an obscure make with old man car designs and record depreciation that may lead it to an end anyway...

Matra et Alpine
09-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I just can't think of another Sandro Munaro to put at the wheel. :)
Valentino Rossi :D

Odds on to win the championship at the next race.
Been talk in the bike papers that he's trying to arrange to then ride the 250cc bikes on the same day as MotoGP and win both titles :) So he may be a little busy next year !!!

http://images.motogp.com/multimedia2/374/374152_87340.jpg

McReis
09-01-2005, 08:09 AM
And besides that, I've just bought a Motorsport newspaper that claims surely that he has allready a contract with Ferrari for 2007. He, Raikonnen and Massa.

Matra et Alpine
09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
And besides that, I've just bought a Motorsport newspaper that claims surely that he has allready a contract with Ferrari for 2007. He, Raikonnen and Massa.
I suspect that is a rather too enthusiastic journalist jumping up just because Rossi had another shot in a Ferrari F1 car recently :)
There is a BIG difference in traffic in a bike and a car.
He didn't do to well when he tried rallying !!

He is no doubt THE best on 2 wheels right now. But personally he doesn't' have the race craft on 4 wheels developed over years of circuit racing the F1 best undertake. For sure he could do a Karthikeyan and get a seat, but I doubt he would ever be competitive - even in the best car.

BUT it would be interesting to see if he would clash with MS they way he used to with BIaggi. A fight on the steps of the rostrum could make up for some of those boring brain-dead circuits :D

kennyknoxville
09-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Rossi is the man! but i agree with matra

McReis
09-01-2005, 11:23 AM
He is no doubt THE best on 2 wheels right now. But personally he doesn't' have the race craft on 4 wheels developed over years of circuit racing the F1 best undertake. For sure he could do a Karthikeyan and get a seat, but I doubt he would ever be competitive - even in the best car.

I think the same but I believe he really can get that contract. That way they can have a competitive driver (Kimi) and a marketing driver (Rossi) that would bring millions to the team.

Matra et Alpine
09-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I think the same but I believe he really can get that contract. That way they can have a competitive driver (Kimi) and a marketing driver (Rossi) that would bring millions to the team.
ahem, Rossi moved to Yamaha because Honda woudl not agree to the much higher salary he demanded.
He isn't going to be cheap.

Besides, he wont' be able to wheely an F1 when he crosses the finish line.
Or stop at the side of the track and go for a piss at the end of a race.
Or smoke rubber alogn the straights to amuse the crowds.
Bernie woudl have a fit :D ( hmmm, if it led to a heartattack it might be a good thing :D )

McReis
09-01-2005, 11:55 AM
ahem, Rossi moved to Yamaha because Honda woudl not agree to the much higher salary he demanded.
He isn't going to be cheap.

But he sure gets the attention of the sponsors...

Matra et Alpine
09-01-2005, 12:55 PM
But he sure gets the attention of the sponsors...
yeah, but if he cant wheelie, cant do burnouts or antics at the side of the track or be 'top dog' will sponsors still love him ?
He's a big fish in a big pond making a big splash in MotoGP.
He'll be just another headline grabbing driver in the F1 ocean and the sharks might eat him up :(

ZeTurbo
09-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Besides, he wont' be able to wheely an F1 when he crosses the finish line.
Or stop at the side of the track and go for a piss at the end of a race.
Or smoke rubber alogn the straights to amuse the crowds.
Bernie woudl have a fit :D ( hmmm, if it led to a heartattack it might be a good thing :D )
that is reason enough to encourage him to switch to GPF1!!!

sunk
09-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Lets not get distracted.......

Djinn83
11-01-2005, 11:41 AM
just inform you Lancia was originally a luxury car brand. it was only with the Stratos and the Delta that Lancia began to be known as a sporty car brand. since then they tried to get far from that image that people had of Lancia. so they focused more in luxury and style.

henk4
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
just inform you Lancia was originally a luxury car brand. it was only with the Stratos and the Delta that Lancia began to be known as a sporty car brand. since then they tried to get far from that image that people had of Lancia. so they focused more in luxury and style.

Lancia had a nice brand of Sports Car in the early fifties, culminating in the D24.
Furthermore they ran an F1 team with the famous D50. The team was taken over by Ferrari, after Lancia could not afford it any longer.

Before the Stratos the Fulvia HF Coupe was a very potent rallye car in the second half of the sixties.

Anyway, welcome to UCP and hope you will enjoy it. :)

Zondaboy1
11-01-2005, 03:01 PM
i say that theres going to be a re-birth of the stratos