PDA

View Full Version : Might have lost my Tranny

SlickHolden
08-31-2005, 09:22 AM
I was driving home from my Brothers house.
I got to this huge roundabout and was doing about 50kp/h.
Anyway i was going through it and put the foot down to nothing like i ran out of petrol. I herd this little little grind, I pulled to the side of the road and found power? I went off and all seemed pretty fine.
I stopped at the light took off NP 1st is good 2nd is good 2nd into 3rd there is this little shudder around the rear for a split second but it goes into 4th easy.
So i decide later i might give it a go, Take off flat full power into 2nd into 3rd slight shudder again for split second goes into 4th all is fine. Drop it down for some fun and there is a little weakness there for sure, It's missing it's go seems maybe only in 3rd or 2nd when it kicks down to rev up.
What you think.
I spoke to one bloke that said the clucth might be gone, Another said maybe just a servies as i have said in the past it's a little ruff and tall in 1st. I was also told it could have the filter blocked and it's starving it so it's missing.
Anyway i got 2 blokes that are going to have a look today and tell me.
Best news i'm told is Servies. Worst full rebuild:(.
To be honest the first thing i thought of was diff or tailkshaft, I told the dude it's shuddering only from the rear not next to me at all it's so small that you could miss it doing it and swear you might have hit a little rippel in the round that vibrated it slighty?? :rolleyes:

UCR
08-31-2005, 10:26 AM
"might have lost my tranny" - Has he/she found another man?

"Drop it down for some fun and there is a little weakness there for sure", - maybee thats why.

" i have said in the past it's a little ruff and tall" - bullshit.

"I told the dude it's shuddering only from the rear not next to me at all it's so small that you could miss it doing it and swear you might have hit a little rippel in the round that vibrated it slighty??" - hang on a minute, you said its ruff and tall, make your friggin mind up.

... :p ..

:Exige:
08-31-2005, 11:24 AM
ROFLMAO .. trust you to add something constructive :D

spi-ti-tout
08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Best post in 10 threads :D

pimento
08-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Clutch? It's a manual? I had a shudder in the rear of our BMW, turns out that one of the rear rims was warped. Found that out after it ruined the centre bearing on the tailshaft, required a recon'd tailshaft et all to ultimately fix it. The shudder started in the back, then it moved to the centre (ie, where the tailshaft was banging around) so that could be something to look at. Get someone to drive behind you and make sure your wheels are rotating straight and true.

fpv_gtho
08-31-2005, 10:21 PM
could be anything, might be the valve bodys, could be a hydraulic issue...but until you can get it looked at i suggest using your legs

Blue Supra
08-31-2005, 10:46 PM
dont drive it around unless its an emergency.

a slightly broken gearbox is a crapload cheaper then a thoroughly rooted one.

Im not a pro on auto gearboxes but have you checked how much oil is in the box? low oil could mean the cogs are having trouble changing?

SlickHolden
09-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Oils is full. It don't shudder when cold. Today it didnt shudder for the first guy at ultra tune i seen. But he did ad it might be drive-shaft it's a little out of balance on accelaration he said. Then he told me to pay for the Tranny servies $160 but couldnt tell me if that would even help at all:eek:. To me thats wasting money.

The next guy i seen was my sisters mate. He told me he will look over the tailshaft diff and tranny monday. When driving it he didnt think the Tranny was that bad even when the 2nd to 3rd change finally did that shudder. He said it's still running fine it might only be the tailshaft it might not be but he will see:).

I jst wen't out and got a pizza and that hole drive not one shudder at all :confused: So it might be tranny only when it's fully warmed up maybe?

JIMBO YOU BLOODY TOOL:p

pimento
09-01-2005, 05:04 AM
So it's an auto. Don't go back to the guy who mentioned the clutch then... If it's only when warm it could still be a fluid thing, getting thinner as it warms up. Is the shudder a constant thing or only at a particular speed? Mine was only at about 35km/h

SlickHolden
09-01-2005, 09:19 AM
The first guy said it could be the filter that is starving it when warm.
I thought that even autos have clutches inside them?
It only shudders going from 2nd into 3rd no matter what speed or revs driving slow or fast same thing all the time. I gave it to it comming home belted up in first to 60 into 2nd into 3rd no shudder. But took my mum for a drive same type of thing and it did the shudder.
My sisters mate said it starts this little shudder next to him around the rear of the tranny then goes to the back like a vibration so he will get it up and have a good look into it:) I hope it's just something easy and not the drive-shaft. Might be cheaper to replace the diff in the end:(.

pimento
09-01-2005, 11:09 AM
No clutch in an auto. Go to www.howstuffworks.com to learn things.

Matra et Alpine
09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I thought that even autos have clutches inside them?
no. classic autos use torque convertors ( aka slush-box ) to manage the differing road and crank speeds during changes.
Hmm, do you have the same throttle input when changing gears and getting different outcomes ?
I'm askign as I'm wondering if the torque converter may have some damaged/bent impellors. Would expect it to occure everytme the t/c was asked to provide some 'slip'.
Seen the inside of a Nissan 300 slush-box which was badly bent out of shape due to lbrake aunches with 400hp on tap :)

SlickHolden
09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
no. classic autos use torque convertors ( aka slush-box ) to manage the differing road and crank speeds during changes.
Hmm, do you have the same throttle input when changing gears and getting different outcomes ?
I'm askign as I'm wondering if the torque converter may have some damaged/bent impellors. Would expect it to occure everytme the t/c was asked to provide some 'slip'.
Seen the inside of a Nissan 300 slush-box which was badly bent out of shape due to lbrake aunches with 400hp on tap :)
It will do it at any speed any revs. Going hard or slow as a old timer.
If i'm in 4th and it drops it does feel like it slips slighty 1 or 2 gears down.
But i can pull around a corner 20-30kp/h drop back to 1st and cherp the bugger up and pull 2nd easy and hard but them it will do the shudder thing going into 3rd still.

Today i had to take my mum to the docs, We left wen't down there nothing, Went to get the tablets nothing, Went to the shopping centre nothing, On the way hom 3 corners left and shudder time? Took that long to do it i thought it was in my head.

I just got off the phone from a guy who works on Diffs and stuff.
He told me my car being non-IRS will not have a drive-shaft? Now i'm getting lost he told me it sounds like tail-shaft diff gears. But after what you said i'm thinking maybe i should see this guy i just rang and let him look into it more he might know more then the other 2 guys do about this type of thing.
Can you change the Torque convertor without a full rebuild:)

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Sounds like that guy's gotten confused between axles and driveshafts, he mustve meant the parts between the hubs and diffs of an IRS :rolleyes:

SlickHolden
09-02-2005, 12:45 AM
No clutch in an auto. Go to www.howstuffworks.com to learn things.
I couldnt find it:D But i might ditch the bloke that said drive-shaft and clutch:p

SlickHolden
09-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Sounds like that guy's gotten confused between axles and driveshafts, he mustve meant the parts between the hubs and diffs of an IRS :rolleyes:
So he was thinking IRS in a 92 VP Commodore:p Only IRS was Calais in the VP.

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:08 AM
i would love to say flog the guts out of it and see if it gets worse but then thats just me and im an idiot.

Do what i said before ;)

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:16 AM
well if you had $3K in the bank it might be worth it, but otherwise not i guess.

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Slick could buy another VP with that :)

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:21 AM
he may as well get an EB and have a car that works :D HA!

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:22 AM
:p

ouch! i wouldnt take that Slick! ;)

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:25 AM
ah he'll know im only kidding :p

EB's arent that cheap, any ones under $3K would probably be thrashed, have something wrong, or be ex taxis

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:34 AM
sif EBs arent that cheap! you get one in good nick for 3k.

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:35 AM
u sure theyre not EA's though? most of the ones ive seen are closer to $5K

SlickHolden
09-02-2005, 01:35 AM
I drove a EB once a red one about 95 it was a hired car. But was 93 built.
I drove it over the hill and it went over the mountain:p... It was a good car to drive i thought much better then the EA in power and feel. Only thing i hated was it took a giant leap to get out the door seemed so far away from the seat:)
$3000 i could almost buy 2 VP's:p

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:43 AM
the EB2 with the multipoint engines alot better than the EB or EA...

have a look at this though http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2294672&current_rec=4&total_rec=5&sort_type=1&make_id=6&model_id=17&keyword=EB&state_id=2&region_id=104&search_distance=25

pity about the km's

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:45 AM
note the extra 2 cylinders there...

so knock off at least a K considering its a V8 and theres a 3k EB ;)

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Yeah and youve still got a $250K one though :p

i rather this one http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2518397&current_rec=2&total_rec=5&sort_type=1&make_id=6&model_id=17&keyword=EB&state_id=2&region_id=104&search_distance=25

although its $6K

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:50 AM
if it was looked after then kays arent an issue. People get so paranoid about kays.

that ones a manual V8 with lower kays then my car. expected a bit higher obviously. nice car though :)

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:52 AM
WTF:

the ad says its a 5 speeder. the pics show slush box...

i HATE it when people falsely advertise.

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:53 AM
well the EB's when theyre taxis are fairly strong still, i think most people are expecting a timing chain or something to snap on them, a diff or tranny to let go. but yeah, if you look after it, you'd change the timing at 100k, keep the drivetrain serviced bla bla bla so it wouldnt be an issue, but unless your buying it one owner off a friend, you dont know that.

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 01:54 AM
WTF:

the ad says its a 5 speeder. the pics show slush box...

i HATE it when people falsely advertise.

The steering wheel looks like its out of a Fairmont as well...

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 01:58 AM
yeh i found out to my non suprisedness (couldnt think of better/proper word) that my cars last owner flogged the guts out of it. A mate of the old owner saw me at the car wash and came and told me bout it :(

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 02:00 AM
that was honourable of him, you wont get that everyday i suppose

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 02:02 AM
true, wish i knew that BEFORE i bought it though :o

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 02:05 AM
well if you had hindsight with everything...who knows what you wouldve done, you probably wouldnt be living at home anymore and a whole lotta other things different

SlickHolden
09-02-2005, 03:03 AM
See that's where myn isnt looked after, It's mist many servies i'm sure of that. And for the k's on it serviced and all it would run to 600,000k's cause it's still running strong as hell right now. If the tranny and all were looked after 150,000k's back i wouldnt be going through what i am right now;)

Yep that was the EB GLI i drove had nice kickdown speed to:D

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 03:28 AM
if you really think thats the case then, that service kit for the tranny wouldnt be wasted money

nota
09-02-2005, 04:53 AM
well the EB's when theyre taxis are fairly strong still, i think most people are expecting a timing chain or something to snap on them, a diff or tranny to let go. but yeah, if you look after it, you'd change the timing at 100k, keep the drivetrain serviced bla bla bla so it wouldnt be an issue, but unless your buying it one owner off a friend, you dont know that.
One thing Ford did right with Falcon OHC was to specify a really good double-row timing chain. They are extremely durable & often last the life of the motor, more like 400,000kms than 100,00kms

A taxi owner-driver I know claims his AU's timing chain is still original at 949,000kms!

Spastik_Roach
09-02-2005, 04:56 AM
One thing Ford did right with Falcon OHC was to specify a really good double-row timing chain. They are extremely durable & often last the life of the motor, more like 400,000kms than 100,00kms

A taxi owner-driver I know claims his AU's timing chain is still original at 949,000kms!

949,000kms! Holy flying fruck!

nota
09-02-2005, 05:09 AM
That is no joke, a Queanbeyan taxi with 949,000 on it, the head never removed, original transmission, diff was replaced once. Owner bought it new an AU1 taxi pack in Sydney, hail damaged for only $20k. In recent newspaper article an ex-cabbie claimed 1.1 million kms before engine rebuild required on an old XD taxi he once drove

Back in 1980 I pedalled an XB taxi with well over 900,000kms on it

nota
09-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Best mileage I heard was from mechanic friend who once looked after an EA Falcon taxi in Bundaberg, Queensland. It got to 1,026,000kms from original engine/transmission before being retired. Yes by then it was completely stuffed

Here's that newspaper article I mentioned above. Worth reading imho, an amusing & well written reminisce on being a night-shift cabbie in sordid Sydney

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=10136&vf=3&bg=5&pp=2 :)

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 05:53 AM
i guess your easily a bigger fan of chains than belts then :p

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 06:14 AM
my belts being replaced in 1500kays with the 200k service. cant wait! :)

SlickHolden
09-02-2005, 09:00 AM
if you really think thats the case then, that service kit for the tranny wouldnt be wasted money
True i see they are only $20 to do it yourself:)

Cars if looked after right will run huge k's. My brothers ford ghia is strong today, About 300,000 ish he does all the servies and makes sure it's well looked after, something i'm trying to do with my car now, Only problem is i'm starting from behind with a car thats not been fully looked after and i'm giving it the love it has mist. Like spark plugs fresh oil coolent a wash all the TLC stuff. It's running 100% better since i drove it out of the guys house i bought it off. Get this 1 thing fixed and it might put the smile back on my dile:D

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 06:05 PM
do it slick! we believe in you!
:)

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 09:18 PM
i wouldnt reccomend trying it yourself, but you and your brother should be able to get it sorted

Blue Supra
09-02-2005, 09:35 PM
do any driveline work by yourself is not good. i had a mate who nearly got himself crushed doing an auto to manual conversion. the auto box is significantly heavier then a manual one, as he found out when it came out on his chest :eek:

fpv_gtho
09-02-2005, 09:51 PM
that would have to hurt...i'd probably try balance it on a trolley jack and bring it down or something...but if i had a couple of mates over, i'd probably try rip the whole engine and tranny out and then swap them over with plenty of clearance around

SlickHolden
09-03-2005, 02:35 AM
do it slick! we believe in you!
:)
This is like The water boy.... YOU CAN DO IT!:D..

I really think my brother can't get under the car at the mo. But after bathurst if we can get a site to stay on i will come back and work harder then ever on getting the thing right. If someone has to fix it for me i might check out M-S Driveshaft here local they are and i rang that guy up and thats when he told me the guy from ultra tune was a dill:p... I told him someone was looking at it and i might need this or that.. He said yep go for it but i felt there and then they know there shit cause thats what they work on.. they had my brothers car there 40 min. And they fixed the rear and found the problem and had it fixed within 2 hours. My brother had his car with 1 guy for 3 weeks and nothing was done. So they are on my list of if it needs real help they will be my choice:).

About 1 months ago we had the trolley jack tip over when we were doing the back springs and it landed on the jack and that might have saved stuffing it up. My brothers head was under the guard and i shit thinking it might have got him... And all he was worried about was it put a dint under the side of the car:p.. You couldn't see it much at all:D

Blue Supra
09-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Id pack myself if that happened while i was working on a car, its scary enough the noises a car makes while being jacked up or down.

Didnt you have the car on a level surface? howd the jack tip?

SlickHolden
09-05-2005, 04:56 AM
Jack might have been a little out of balance, But i had to jump on the rotor to get the spring in cause the standard wasn't going in easy:(. After it went the jack might have saved the rear going down on the rotor and stuffing it up.
But the second time we did it we used to jacks:D But i was still crapping cause i i could think of was me brothers head in the guard and me haging on clawing the roof as it went down.

Matra et Alpine
09-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Jack might have been a little out of balance, But i had to jump on the rotor to get the spring in cause the standard wasn't going in easy
ouch, brought back memories of a very painful 8 hours in Accident and Emergency and half a dozen stiches in my hand :(
Trying to force things in while up on jacks is always a bad idea !!!

SlickHolden
09-05-2005, 05:57 AM
I agree but it's cheapest sometimes:D. If the front springs wern't so high i would have keeped the rear springs in cause it was only about 1.5" lower then standard at the rear. The front was higher then standard height:(

SlickHolden
10-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Update on the tranny,
Just had it done Saturday Morning. And to my biggest shock there was no metal fragments of anytype on the pan from the tranny. The guy took it for a spin and came back happy, So i told him all that had gone wrong with it he took it out again for a bigger spin came back and told me it was perfect:eek:.
So now i'm thinking WTF happend that day and the shudder i have had that hasnt done it in a couple of weeks???

Anyway i took the car for a drive got on the freeway all seemed a little smoother, Got to 100kp/h in the past it would drop to 3rd then to 2nd ruffly and zoom off. Anyway it went back to 3rd smooth as hell and stayed there and speed up to 120kp/h very nice and easy i thought it moved faster going to 2nd but this way was less stressfull thats forsure.
So i need to make a appointment down the track this bloke will take a good look over it for me and see what's wrong. He also quoted me $1,100 for a new Tranny that knocked my socks off that's very cheap.
I should have got him to quote me on a Tailshaft and Diff:D LSD:p