PDA

View Full Version : New Alfa Romeo 159

vanswan
09-01-2005, 07:12 AM
So you've got about 20k in your pocket for a new car but don't know what you want, I asked myself this question when I went to Goodwood last month, then I saw the Alfa Romeo tent and lined up next to the new Brera was the class of car I wanted. The new Alfa 159, I took a seat inside, loads of space, smooth curves, looked expensive in leather and still something I can take the kids out in, what surprised me most was the huge 3.2 V6 engine with four wheel drive.

The Italians seem to have finally cracked the balance between a durable family car and a car that looks luxurious, not something I've seen in a car in that price range.

What do you think?

spi-ti-tout
09-01-2005, 07:14 AM
The Italians seem to have finally cracked the balance between a durable family car and a car that looks luxurious, not something I’ve seen in a car in that price range.
Now check reliability and service maintainance costs :)

henk4
09-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Now check reliability and service maintainance costs :)

those should not differ too much from anything popular in this market segment. Depreciation is probably going to be more of a problem, but if you don't change cars every two or three years that is manageable too, because the German depreciation wonders you have to buy first at an excessive price.

It is a car I would consider, but then with the most powerful JTD engine available.

McReis
09-01-2005, 08:38 AM
those should not differ too much from anything popular in this market segment. Depreciation is probably going to be more of a problem, but if you don't change cars every two or three years that is manageable too, because the German depreciation wonders you have to buy first at an excessive price.

It is a car I would consider, but then with the most powerful JTD engine available.

I totally agree. I have a friend who clocked more than 200.000kms in 156 1.9JTD and was happy enough to buy a GT 2.4 JTD last month, passing the 156 to his son...
On the other hand, my girfriends father has a Bora (Jetta) TDI with 150.000kms which has allready gone through an engine rebuild that included pistons, valves, etc..

Things are not always what they look like.

Besides that, the lines of an Alfa can make any VW blush with shame. Specially the Boras.

Sauc3
09-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Pictures always help ;). http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12614&page=2&pp=15&highlight=alfa+romeo+159

I must say the car is very appealing, I certainly wouldn't mind one if I was in the market for this type of car and had 19k pounds to spend. Did you end up buying it? If so I'd love to hear what you thought about it.

Then again if I was in the market with that amount of money I'd rather a second hand Elise S2 :p.

VtecMini
09-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I've picked up a nasty habit of hankering for the new Passat lately. I think I'd [probably take one of those instead. Don't get me wrong though, the 159 certainly pulls hard at the heart strings.

kennyknoxville
09-01-2005, 10:38 AM
ya its a nice car. 159>passat imo

lightweight
09-01-2005, 11:36 AM
I'd go for the Diesel too. With 30+ Nm of torque, it's like driving the 3,2 V6 and shortshifting it at 3500 rpm. Ok, I admit you don't have the top end power, but then a family car isn't gonna get revved up that many times.
Anyone who wants revs can get an RX8...

kennyknoxville
09-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Anyone who wants revs can get an RX8...
or an s2k. im a honda fanboy

lightweight
09-01-2005, 02:15 PM
or an s2k. im a honda fanboy

I like the S2000 also. I just mentioned the RX8 because the 159 is a saloon :)

dave_fonz_164
09-11-2005, 12:20 PM
i did hear that the 159 will have free maintenance for the first 2 or 3 yrs.

for all of u with the savy reliability jokes, drive a current german car and they wont be lexus proof.

SPN:DOC
09-12-2005, 01:08 AM
yes and an alfa wont be German proof... what your point... :rolleyes: german cars are still very Reliable... :)

sunk
09-12-2005, 01:56 AM
I say a Mazda RX-8 would be pretty cool. Or try a Impreza STI WRX.
Alfas are still italians.;)

dave_fonz_164
09-12-2005, 05:28 AM
yes and an alfa wont be German proof... what your point... :rolleyes: german cars are still very Reliable... :)

thats the point, german cars, especially the new current ones are far from being reliable, bmw, mercedec and audi are all plagued with glitches, some serious and some not. Modern alfas are actually better off then modern german cars, still not up to japanese standards though.Were not in the 70's anymore.

if u do some research, you will findout out that most electrical components found on alfas are german like fuel pumps, steering racks, starters, stepper gears, wiper motors, coil packs, switiches etc... mostly come from Bosch or other suppliers.These are pieces that fail just like they would on a VW or Benz.....From my experience, German cars have been no more reliable, if less reliable than an italian cars but japanese being the best.

im just stating facts and trying to disprove these narrow minded stereotypes from the 70's............

2ndclasscitizen
09-12-2005, 04:06 PM
i'd love one, Alfa V6's have some of the best sounds around, and with AWD you'd be able to better exploit it without having to buy new tyres on the way home

09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
thats the point, german cars, especially the new current ones are far from being reliable, bmw, mercedec and audi are all plagued with glitches, some serious and some not. Modern alfas are actually better off then modern german cars, still not up to japanese standards though.Were not in the 70's anymore.

if u do some research, you will findout out that most electrical components found on alfas are german like fuel pumps, steering racks, starters, stepper gears, wiper motors, coil packs, switiches etc... mostly come from Bosch or other suppliers.These are pieces that fail just like they would on a VW or Benz.....From my experience, German cars have been no more reliable, if less reliable than an italian cars but japanese being the best.

im just stating facts and trying to disprove these narrow minded stereotypes from the 70's............

No I think you should do your research, yes Alfa’s have improved but still are no where near BMW, Mercedes.. yes at the moment the VAG are having problems and BMW should not be confused with Volkswagen.. today BMW is still ranked very high in reliability…

henk4
09-15-2005, 12:13 AM
No I think you should do your research, yes Alfa’s have improved but still are no where near BMW, Mercedes.. yes at the moment the VAG are having problems and BMW should not be confused with Volkswagen.. today BMW is still ranked very high in reliability…

Even BMW has had its problems, for instance when they introduced the new seven series, where all sort of electronic glitches made many cars strand along the road. Don't turn a blind eye on that when you try to defend German build quality.

09-15-2005, 03:59 AM
Even BMW has had its problems, for instance when they introduced the new seven series, where all sort of electronic glitches made many cars strand along the road. Don't turn a blind eye on that when you try to defend German build quality.

Yes I m aware of that, that was the first series of 7 series e65 and e66, its all behind them, BMW has recalled every single car and updated the system. But Alfa has series of problems with the steering and suspension… BMW 3 series VS Alfa 156, BMW is a lot more reliable. It still wins award for its reliability and engineering. I m not saying BMW is like it was in the 70’s they have slipped a little, but compared to other cars it is still doing very well.

henk4
09-15-2005, 04:02 AM
Yes I m aware of that, that was the first series of 7 series e65 and e66, its all behind them, BMW has recalled every single car and updated the system. But Alfa has series of problems with the steering and suspension… BMW 3 series VS Alfa 156, BMW is a lot more reliable. It still wins award for its reliability and engineering. I m not saying BMW is like it was in the 70’s they have slipped a little, but compared to other cars it is still doing very well.

In all German surveys about reliability the Japanese cars invariably come first....

09-15-2005, 05:20 AM
In all German surveys about reliability the Japanese cars invariably come first....
no i was talking about British and American surveys... :)

henk4
09-15-2005, 05:52 AM
no i was talking about British and American surveys... :)

yep, and even in the cradle of the German car industry, Japanese cars perform better :)

09-15-2005, 03:13 PM
yep, and even in the cradle of the German car industry, Japanese cars perform better :)
yes some do.. i think Toyota and Honda one place above.. I m not saying German cars are good as they were.. but they are certainly working hard on it, Volkswagen claims the mk5 is much more reliable than the MK4. :) there main problems where related to little electrical faults..

dave_fonz_164
09-16-2005, 03:42 PM

bmw is actually quite good untill recently, and it will only get worse. Your car, the E36 is actually really solid and so is the E46. The 156 has its niggles as do the bimmers but they are in the european average.
vw/audi and and benz are suffering. Either way, my alfa has proved to be just as or more reliable than my friends german counterparts. so many of the electrical components, pumps and other supplied pieces are german in alfas.

im not here to debate whos more reliable, we already know whos the best at that but rather to shed some light on the fact that german cars sell perceived quality rather than outright reliability.

Cadillac Imaj
09-19-2005, 07:18 AM
i love alfa's new generation of styling!

nota
09-19-2005, 10:28 AM
if u do some research, you will findout out that most electrical components found on alfas are german like fuel pumps, steering racks, starters, stepper gears, wiper motors, coil packs, switiches etc... mostly come from Bosch or other suppliers
And further research might reveal another distinctly non-Italian (& non-German) element to Alfa 159 3.2 V6 ;)
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/international-relations/2005/06/28/1119724683115.html?oneclick=true

forza_autodelta
09-19-2005, 01:01 PM
My dad saw the car last week , it appears to be better than the 166 in confort , finition , and on technical/mechanic plans:D