PDA

View Full Version : Michelin plans withdrawal

fpv_gtho
09-03-2005, 05:53 PM
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33929

MICHELIN PREPARES GROUND FOR EXIT
Last Updated: Saturday, 03, September, 2005, 16:06

Michelin is preparing the ground for a withdrawal from Formula 1 at the end of next year over the governing body’s determination to revert to a single tyre supplier.

FIA president Max Mosley met with representatives from the ten teams and seven car makers last week to discuss a new rules package for 2008 and beyond.

Mosley is keen to push ahead with the control tyre proposal as a means of cutting costs, allowing a greater safety margin and ensuring a more level playing field between the teams.

But Michelin motorsport director Pierre Dupasquier believes a monopoly tyre situation would be a retrograde step for F1, and would hold no interest for the French company.

In a statement issued by Michelin, Dupasquier said: “This proposal to work with a single tyre manufacturer in reality conceals a fundamental issue: the reduction of the role of the tyre to that of a banal component with no other added value than permitting Formula 1 cars to be mobile.

“As the world’s leading tyre manufacturer, that is something we cannot accept.

“In day-to-day life, road car and truck manufacturers are forever coming to us with a view to developing new tyres that optimise the running, comfort, road holding and energy efficiency of their vehicles, while in Formula 1, a technological showcase if ever there was one, you’re talking about tyres becoming something banal.

“That would make no sense at all for our customers and for the image of the tyre.

“When you are the leading tyre manufacturer, you have a responsibility vis-a-vis your profession, or in any case a responsibility as we see it at Michelin.”

Assuming that its objections to a control tyre are not heeded by the FIA, Michelin is expected to carry out its threat to quit F1 rather than tendering for the tyre supply contract.

Sources at Monza indicate that CEO Edouard Michelin is ready to confirm the company's withdrawal as early as next weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

whiteballz
09-03-2005, 06:05 PM
damn...

*shrugs* how long till F1 gets disbanded completely?

fpv_gtho
09-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Some are placing bets on 2008 :p

But it seems during the last couple of months, the FIA and teams have actually started agreeing, and its getting to the point where they think there'll still be a Formula 1 for the new Concorde Agreement

whiteballz
09-03-2005, 06:08 PM
but will it be one worth watching?

RacingManiac
09-03-2005, 06:48 PM
F1 was fine before the tire war.....and I don't see the harm in reverting to that....

BlueSubaruSTi
09-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Wow... f1 is turning into some regulated nascar sh*t. What they said about f1 being a technology showcase is definatly true, i watch practice every friday, qualifying every saturday, and the race every sunday for the cars... the technology.. the hope that, basically, the stuff on those f1 cars will be on my car in 25 years... not the drivers.

On another note i completely understand the new rule set regarding regulation of downforce... that kind of stuff (forcing teams to reduce drag while being limited to a certain ammount of downforce) will actually benefit "real" cars. I really dont think i'll ever be driving a multi-million dollar formula one car, but im sure ill be driving a bmw (or something similar) in 20 years when all this f1 r&d will matter to the average person.

And yes a part of me does watch it for the drivers and the competition, but to be honest, I dont think nazi-like conformity will make the sport fun to watch.

henk4
09-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Well I sincerely hope they will not apply their current F1 technology to my every day Michelins, it would be frightening to know that I cannot take turn 13 at full speed and they would have to build an additional chicane for me :D

fpv_gtho
09-04-2005, 12:59 AM
I was reading an interview with PD regarding it (im not about to humiliate myself trying to spell his name) and it might not all be "surprise surprise" to everyone, but the attitude Michelin seem to be taking over it is theyve clearly got their own interests in mind ahead of the teams and the future of Formula 1, so im almost glad that they want to leave.