PDA

View Full Version : VFACTS: Corolla continues to boom whilst Falcon outsells Commodore

fpv_gtho
09-05-2005, 02:39 AM
http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,10166,16497207-31037,00.html

Small cars sales surge

September 05, 2005

SOARING petrol prices have not deterred car buyers, with sales continuing at record levels in August, led by small cars.
The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) said today 86,179 new cars and trucks were retailed last month, an 8.8 per cent rise on the 79,224 sold in the same month last year.

It was the best August on record and left the industry on track for another record year, the fourth in a row.

The FCAI said demand for the first eight months of 2005 had reached 663,445, a 5.3 per cent improvement compared to the same period last year.

It left the full-year forecast at 980,000 units, well ahead of the record 955,229 sold last year.

FCAI chief executive Peter Sturrock said the strength in the vehicle market this year had defied predictions that high house prices and rising petrol costs would dampen demand.

Advertisement:
"Fuel prices are not discouraging people from buying motor vehicles, although they do seem to be influencing the type of vehicles being bought, Mr Sturrock said.

"Of the more than 5000 extra passenger cars sold in August, 4600 were in the small segment."

Sales of small cars rose 33 per cent last month following a 26 per cent jump in July. Demand for large cars was down 5.3 per cent after a 13 per cent slide last month.

The top-selling company in August was Toyota, with 17,920, ahead of Holden on 15,307 and Ford on 12,157.

Toyota also led on a year-to-date basis with 132,311 units compared to 119,585 for Holden and 88,239 for Ford.

But in the battle for the top selling car, Ford upset Holden last month, the Falcon coming out on top of the Commodore with 5,826 units compared to 5,618.

Ford president Tom Gorman said the Falcon had its best month since June last year, a good result for the company as it prepared for the release of the new BF model in October.

"Achieving leadership of the large car segment in August is a great accomplishment for the company and our dealers," he said. "The large car market remains extremely important and continues to attract a wide variety of Australian consumers.

"Competition for share of this segment is only going to heat up over the coming months."

Emphasising the impact of rising petrol prices, the small Toyota Corolla also had a great month, retailing 4783 units.

Other top selling vehicles included the Holden Astra (3290), the Toyota Camry (2982), the Mazda 3 (2074), the Ford Falcon Ute (1823), the Holden Ute (1788), The Ford Territory (1735) and the Toyota Hi-Lux 4X4 (1593

SlickHolden
09-05-2005, 05:15 AM
I tell you something it's not Falcon that out sold the Commodore cause something is wrong there see them numbers they are way down Falcon sticks out them numbers all day every month. But the Commodores numbers are down?
Is this the mooney factor:p You all know i was gunna say that:D

I would love to see some other months to see if holden has dropped off the pace compared to the other months this year.
When i seen commodore sales drop i was laughing but it's true.

fpv_gtho
09-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Holden typically has only been gettin 6000 a month, so its not that far off. Theyre planning on dropping the 3rd production shift, but thats not in affect yet. I think simply Ford lifted their game, although theyre down to 1700 Territory's so i think they just fiddled with the production line preferences.

SlickHolden
09-05-2005, 09:13 AM
I still think mooney is a tool:D.

Large cars dropped and suv sale also. Might be a year to year thing the SUV's are going steady but now the small cars are jumping because of high petrol prices?.
But i think people have got to see that the large cars here are as good on fuel as the a small car was in the 90's and way better off then the large cars of the 90's as well. Large cars today as a 6 don't eat petrol as they once did so they shouldnt panic, Cause they might regret it later.
If petrol was $1.60 i still wouldn't buy a small little car cause it runs 7L per 100:)
I use public transport a little more but:D

syko
09-05-2005, 12:32 PM
i thought it was about time the falcon had another sales win, ford is just missing that extra big seller before it draws even with holden and toyota in sales. come on Focus you can do it

fpv_gtho
09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Focus AND Fiesta. They need them both to be going good, atm theyre only just getting their target sales of about 1000 and 400 sales a month. they need that around 2000 and 1000 to tackle Toyota and Holden at least. The Corolla was almost 5000 this month as well.

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Don't think holden will catch Toyota, but they will from time to time as ford did with Holden out sell them.

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Well they might do. They seem to think that their weakness is the SUV's, but i dont really like their chances of getting on top of that. Theyve got the S3X and another crossover coming, but thats mainly to deal with the Territory and Kluger. Theyve still left the Landcruiser, Prado and 79 series without a solid competitor, and Toyota will continue to eat them alive i feel. The only advantage Holden has is with the Commodore, and Toyota counter that with the Corollas sales being more than twice what all the other small cars seem to be getting.

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 12:13 AM
So really whilst Ford And Holden have 2-3-4 good monthly models that sell very well.
Toyota has 1 big massive seller and the rest make up the numbers with ok sales.

I wonder what happen to that deal where Holden and Toyota were going to share some cars again as Toyota wanted a big RWD car and Holden wanted the Big 4WD.

Blue Supra
09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Toyota are such a dark horse. What i mean is you hear so little about them and year after year theyre a consistent best seller.

I saw petrol at 1:39.9 this arvo :eek: thats $1.50 for 98 :eek: :eek:

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Thats basically it, Toyota are on top simply by giving the public a wide range of dull cars, whilst Holden and Ford have specific good cars.

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Toyota are such a dark horse. What i mean is you hear so little about them and year after year theyre a consistent best seller.

I saw petrol at 1:39.9 this arvo :eek: thats $1.50 for 98 :eek: :eek:

Does the 200 have knock sensors? I'd take a stab and say it doesnt...

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 12:25 AM
They have got every type of car people want, Except the Big RWD V8 6 type car.
But i will say this i have it before don't think it's racist cause it really isnt it's the truth.
So many Asia people around the world move from home and move to new countrys. Some are born in there new countrys and become 2nd-4th gen of that country.
But one thing that remains is this.
There first car is one that know toyota mazda nissan etc. Most of the time it's a toyota. You get some familys that have 4 of the same car. You also see some familys that own 2 Toyota and have a Falcon or Commodore. But most of the time they buy these cars cause it's what they know and trust they are comfortable with them.
If i was overseas i would want to buy a Aussie car if one was around it's the same thing.

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 12:26 AM
thats expected though, if you went to the US you'd want a GTO

syko
09-06-2005, 01:56 AM
the new focus is simular to the mazda 3 and the mazda's are selling like hot cakes, so they could sell quite a few focus's

hopefully fingers crossed

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 05:14 AM
thats expected though, if you went to the US you'd want a GTO
In the short term. But they keep it going 2nd 3rd Gen.
I meat this guy he looked so Chinese. He was selling me DVD's for a wile from his house. As soon as he spoke i was gobbed smacked. He was so Aussie more of The Aussie slang them me. He said to his sister hey check me pie it's going to burn lol:D. Anyway there cars were :D Toyota's all the way.

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 05:23 AM
Mightve been 1st generation or 2nd generation Aussie and brought up around Toyotas, you never know..but theyve got a strong following for their strong resale and reliability

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 09:32 PM
I forgot to tell you i got hit up the rear at the lights, Sitting there and waiting for the green this car slammed up my rear. He was stopped also he must have lost the clutch and hopped it forward, Hit hard to was shocked. But lucky the tow bar was there it took most of the hit but it did scrap over the top a little and hit the rear bumper, But it was only some white marks that washed off. He was in a new toyota Camry and couldnt speak 10 words of inglish but knew he didnt do the marks on the bumper;)

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 11:18 PM
are you positive? like was it his body language etc, as theres a fair few cheeky buggers that go "uhhh..me speaka no english"

thats gotta suck though, but yeah maybe it was just something small.

SlickHolden
09-07-2005, 07:31 AM
I know he could but they always pull that fast one, then you say it's no damage and they speak perfect english:p. If he hit me harder i could have had the bumper replaced it needs it after the trailer marks it has on it:(

nota
09-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Wife's Mercedes got a low-speed Liberace by a Falcon taxi last month, only a light hit which left a slight 2" dint visible between tail light & bumper, the taxi driver advised her "that will polish out no worries, lets forget it". When I check it out that night the plastic bumper is also pushed in 1" on r/h/s and split underneath just a bit. So we took it to a panelbeater and holy hell the quote was with new parts and came to $8000! Was thinking we were on a winner bigtime as her car only cost $2k but agreed-value insurance is $7k, that means it's a writeoff and $$-bonus for us

Alas the insurance company decided to use 2nd hand bits as 21 year old car but it still came to $4k+. When the taxi guy saw the quote he lobbed up to the beaters, apparently was yelling his head off (definately NOT in perfect english) and swearing every which way for about 30 minutes. Serves the moron right I reckon, and the beater did an ace job totally undetectable - even got rid of a few unrelated dints - and its better that ever, he practically resprayed the whole rear of the car :D

fpv_gtho
09-07-2005, 07:33 PM
some of the taxi drivers around here are absolute idiots though, ive seem sone try a u turn just to give the outside rear wheel a good solid wack against the gutter

Blue Supra
09-07-2005, 10:49 PM
^^^

Ive done that shuddup :p

Mums car looks mint after i smashed it. Whoever repaired it did a pro job. even resprayed the front bumper mum scraped comin out of the driveway.

fpv_gtho
09-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Haha, im sure you didnt just flick the car around with no mechanical concern for the concequences though, cause thats what its like here.

Mums Camry had probably a 5 figure crash taken care of under insurance by a certain national roads and motoring association, and the bodywork was fine, but the new paint on the rear was full of orange peel as it seems to be called...

SlickHolden
09-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Wife's Mercedes got a low-speed Liberace by a Falcon taxi last month, only a light hit which left a slight 2" dint visible between tail light & bumper, the taxi driver advised her "that will polish out no worries, lets forget it". When I check it out that night the plastic bumper is also pushed in 1" on r/h/s and split underneath just a bit. So we took it to a panelbeater and holy hell the quote was with new parts and came to $8000! Was thinking we were on a winner bigtime as her car only cost $2k but agreed-value insurance is $7k, that means it's a writeoff and $$-bonus for us

Alas the insurance company decided to use 2nd hand bits as 21 year old car but it still came to $4k+. When the taxi guy saw the quote he lobbed up to the beaters, apparently was yelling his head off (definately NOT in perfect english) and swearing every which way for about 30 minutes. Serves the moron right I reckon, and the beater did an ace job totally undetectable - even got rid of a few unrelated dints - and its better that ever, he practically resprayed the whole rear of the car :D**** bugger mate that sucks, But as long as this dude pays up then i guess all isnt so bad in the end, He can moan as much as he wants to but he gotta pay:D

About 2 years ago i hit a VTII Commodore in the rear. Soft brakes and all i had at the time didnt know it was the booster that was gone. Anyway wasnt a hard hit maybe a tap he drove off i'm parking on the side of the road and he keeped going?

fpv_gtho
09-08-2005, 01:03 AM
maybe he thought he could take you, but when he saw you he ran away with his tail between his legs :p

SlickHolden
09-08-2005, 01:19 AM
:D he might have seen my mum she can go better then me:p

This year drving the VB in the footy carpark we got hit in the rear by a Ute. He was getting really close for 5 min as we moved forward slow out of the park, He got to close and hit us in the rear, My mum went off:D. She was giving it to him and his mate cause they said ohh it's nothing shut up. Big mistake, I fly open the door and jump out and he changes his tune will park over here and see the damage. As my mum said the damage small or none is not the point, You have been up our Aussie donkey;) For so long getting closer and closer until you hit us take more bloody care be patient for **** sake:p We will get out soon all in one peace if we are patient and careful;).

fpv_gtho
09-08-2005, 01:52 AM
Haha, she doesnt have a stress problem at all does she? :p

Some people though get pretty impatient, these things happen all the time