PDA

View Full Version : Qld Drivers

Cyco
09-05-2005, 05:22 AM
I drove up to Hervey Bay last week and have some observations on Qld drivers;

1) Everyone drives in the right lane - Even if you have driven the last 10kms in the left lane with no one near you and a person is travelling faster in the right lane you should pull in front of them.

2) Tail gating is essential on country roads - If there is someone traveling in the same direction as you you should race up to their rear bumper and stay there. Then when you attempt to let them past they drive 20km/h slower then you were, till you get to and overtaking lane then they are back to light speed for the lenght of it.

3) Blinkers are not used - If there is any attempt to inform other drivers that you plan to change lanes the will box you in so you will never see them used by other drivers.

4) Overtaking should not be attempted - As you get to overtaking lanes on country roads the 2nd car in a row will pass only at enough speed to get it past the front one and then the 1st car will pull back out. This means that the que gets longer and longer. If you cross the (broken) centre line and pass a car any car coming the other way (min 300-500m away) will honk and/or flash their lights at you for performaing such a dangerous action.

You get occasionaly get these here in Sydney, but they really stood out after I crossed the border

SlickHolden
09-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Just hit the brakes they aont tail gate again:p

fpv_gtho
09-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Something my dad noticed when he went to QLD when i was 3 was merging onto freeways. He went to merge at 100km/h which was the limit at the time, and my uncle who was in the car at the time was screaming at him to come to a stop before merging. Dont know if thats an official rule or just a habit...

Cyco
09-05-2005, 06:21 AM
fpv, I did see some people stopped at the end of an on ramp come to think of it, but they didnt really get in my way so it hadnt worried me that much.

SlickHolden
09-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Something like that my brother told me about here, There is some freeway here where if you don't stop at these light onto a freeway they will run you in?.

henk4
09-05-2005, 10:44 AM
When I first saw the title I thought: He, this is about me, and old driver. and then I noted the Q. Now I have not slightest idea what QLD means, or is it the abbreviation of Queensland

syko
09-05-2005, 12:36 PM
is it the abbreviation of Queensland

you got it

henk4
09-05-2005, 12:54 PM
you got it

so do they differ from NSW drivers?

clutch-monkey
09-05-2005, 04:32 PM
so do they differ from NSW drivers?
yes. we have more old people, hence

I did see some people stopped at the end of an on ramp come to think of it

fpv_gtho
09-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Something like that my brother told me about here, There is some freeway here where if you don't stop at these light onto a freeway they will run you in?.

We had one near Eastern Creek like that, but that was mainly to stop people merging into bumper-to-bumper traffic. I hate to think though how its gunna be with the current generation having to merge at 80km/h into 110km/h traffic :o

SlickHolden
09-05-2005, 11:56 PM
If we have to stop i'll do a 1/4 dash:p

But yes merging in with fast traffic is not safe going 30kp/h slower:eek:.
Should have a law merging traffic must be @ freeway speed before merging like me i'm always 105kp/h going on then drop it back to 95-100.

fpv_gtho
09-05-2005, 11:58 PM
The logical thing to do would have a speeding clause like that, where maybe you can go 10% above the posted limit in dire circumstances, that way it can also be extended to overtaking..as you cant speed doing that either

clutch-monkey
09-06-2005, 12:00 AM
The logical thing to do would have a speeding clause like that
logical does not even come into the equation when making traffic laws

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
You only need 1 thing when making traffic laws..... A place (bank) to store the profits:p

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
well i guess thats why pollies have deep pockets: theyre always raking in revenue, and theyre wankers

clutch-monkey
09-06-2005, 12:10 AM
well i guess thats why pollies have deep pockets: theyre always raking in revenue, and theyre wankers
and i can never find enough people to join my revolution :( :)

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
We should start handing out fines to pollys that fail to do what they have set out to do.
That will get them under control:p

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
wouldnt work, they'd just block the legislature :rolleyes:

Blue Supra
09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
i thought the rule for merging was dont stop at all if the speed limit is above 80. The car behind you (merging with) MUST let you in.

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
im not too sure, but i think where the problem comes is when people on the motorway will leave a nice enough gap, but the people who have no clue how to merge, will try and enter the freeway bumper to bumper in a 3 car length space.

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 12:33 AM
I just found out here we don't have to let the merging traffic in, And all these years it's just been courtesy that's let merging traffic in.

henk4
09-06-2005, 12:49 AM
I just found out here we don't have to let the merging traffic in, And all these years it's just been courtesy that's let merging traffic in.

which is exactly the way it is in Europe. The main road is a priority road and all traffic entering/merging there has to yield. However when they speed up fast enough on the access road, they will be normally let in, even if that means slowing down a little. People who don't accelarate enough on the access roads, could find themselves to be in big trouble, when the access road runs out.

syko
09-06-2005, 01:26 AM
its one of my pet hates on the road when your merging and the person in front of you is doing 20-30kph below the posted speed limit, drives you nuts

henk4
09-06-2005, 01:31 AM
its one of my pet hates on the road when your merging and the person in front of you is doing 20-30kph below the posted speed limit, drives you nuts

exactly the same things are happening here.

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 05:18 AM
which is exactly the way it is in Europe. The main road is a priority road and all traffic entering/merging there has to yield. However when they speed up fast enough on the access road, they will be normally let in, even if that means slowing down a little. People who don't accelarate enough on the access roads, could find themselves to be in big trouble, when the access road runs out.
I thought the law was changed about 4 years ago to give way to oncomming traffic here. How wrong i was:eek:. And when comming on the freeway i move in hard cause some will let you crash rather then let you in. Lucky i didnt have a crash with them i would have been in the wrong.
But when i am on the freeway driving i always move lanes to let the traffic in it's not hard to do and it's nice:) I like to be nice on the road and thank all that are nice to me and love to be thanked for being nice. BUT i hate the ones you let in or past and they don't give the wave i get a little mad:mad: :p

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 05:19 AM
Me to i was entering the freeway the other night and the car infront was doing 60kp/h I'm like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! move bitch move:p

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 05:21 AM
not even i go that slow and im limited to 80, i frequently get up to 100 before just letting the car drop down to 80, then i hold it at 85

syko
09-06-2005, 05:41 AM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! move bitch move:p

u took the words out of my mouth :D

Blue Supra
09-06-2005, 06:23 AM
^^^

same it drives me crazy! As soon as i get a chance i skip back two gears and im gooooooooooooooooooone! :D

SlickHolden
09-06-2005, 07:50 AM
not even i go that slow and im limited to 80, i frequently get up to 100 before just letting the car drop down to 80, then i hold it at 85
I like to do that going on the freeway give it plenty for 10 seconds going up the on ramp and back down to 100kp/h it's fun:D

Some drivers need a slap when going on the freeways slow:D

Cyco
09-06-2005, 11:28 PM
and i can never find enough people to join my revolution

I was just thinking running for parliment would be easier.

Me to i was entering the freeway the other night and the car infront was doing 60kp/h I'm like WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! move bitch move

Have seen that before and I have never overtaken a car in the break down lane thats going too slow to safely merge, never I tell you :rolleyes: :D

fpv_gtho
09-06-2005, 11:30 PM
I like to do that going on the freeway give it plenty for 10 seconds going up the on ramp and back down to 100kp/h it's fun:D

Some drivers need a slap when going on the freeways slow:D

alot of the offramps around here if i actually tried i might get 140...just loading it up on 4th or 5th and it usually gets to 100 easily

Blue Supra
09-07-2005, 12:23 AM
we dont really have a lot of on/off ramps around. maybe 10 for the whole city.

still enough practice to take on sydney and melbourne easily enough. :)

fpv_gtho
09-07-2005, 01:30 AM
well you get into urban canberra pretty quick once your out of the CBD right? Between where i live and Sydney there would be about 10 onramps just on the M4..

Birdman
09-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Geez! When I was being taught to drive, I was told to pick a gap and then match the speed to get in. Lately I've had a lot of people backing off or stopping in the merging lane. I hate that!

SlickHolden
09-07-2005, 07:37 AM
I was just thinking running for parliment would be easier.

Have seen that before and I have never overtaken a car in the break down lane thats going too slow to safely merge, never I tell you :rolleyes: :D
I jump to the right lane ASAP if i got slow one's in front and if they don't speed up i will pass them rather then back off tp 70kp/h it's so dangerous 30kp/h less is bad for traffic on the freeway the last thing in the world you want to do is make people brake.
And i was always taught to never unless a accident was ahead to never brake on the freeway so always keep the speeds but distance between cars so there is never a reason to brake:)

alot of the offramps around here if i actually tried i might get 140...just loading it up on 4th or 5th and it usually gets to 100 easily
I love that myself it's the one place you can stick it to the car and not get caught by speed camera but also have a little fun. 0-100 is like 8-10 sec and in that time flat out is a little rush:D

Cyco
09-08-2005, 06:04 AM
After all my whinging bout Qld drivers skills I was test driving a car this arvo and came across one of the worst drivers I have ever seen in Sydney (thankfully I can't see myself) .

On New South Head Rd (hilly, twisty and rough for those who don't know) a fairly major road in eastern Sydney. I came up behind this old guy in a 89 Falcon wagon. I'm not sure if he was just hopeless generally or just fazed buy how yellow the car was that was coming up fast behind him, but he stopped at a green light and was otherwise driving at 30km/h.

Don't think I'd but a yellow car, it gets too many people looking at you.