PDA

View Full Version : Under Construction First Pics - Ferrari 126 C2

AndyM
09-06-2005, 08:34 AM
My latest project is a 1:8 scale replica of Gilles Villeneuve's 1982 Ferrari 126 C2. I've been working on it for about 2 months now. I'll post more pics periodically. For a detailed, illustrated build journal of how this thing is going together, you can check out http://www.collectionatcarriagehouse.com/Journal_126/Header126.htm

Andy.

P3RG4R3C
09-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Looks good so far. :p

adamfraser
09-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Looking very good! I see you spend so much time and effort on these models, and the quality deffinetly shows :)

AF

henk4
09-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Speechless, but what is the kit??

dydzi
09-06-2005, 09:05 AM
looks really detailed, i'd love to see it when it's finished

btw, i think the correct year is 1982, not 1882 :p

Dino Scuderia
09-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Speechless, but what is the kit??

http://www.scaleautoworks.com/Ferrari126C2.html

Matra et Alpine
09-06-2005, 09:19 AM
http://www.scaleautoworks.com/Ferrari126C2.html
ouch $4,000 :(

McReis
09-06-2005, 09:35 AM
After going through that site I'm completely speechless. Crazy stuff! Have you noticed the details on the brakes of th F40?

AndyM
09-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I was so excited to spell "Villeneuve" correctly that I didn't check the year. Thanks for the catch Dydzi.

By the way - Brady at Scale Autoworks is a great guy. Very easy to do business with and he's got great stuff. For anyone wanting to get into 1:8 scale, I highly recommend him.

McReis - those brakes on the F40 are great. I used a similar pair of them on my Porsche Carrera 911 Type 993 too. They really detail out nicely.

lightweight
09-06-2005, 12:13 PM
This is mind boggling! I never thought that you could do such stuff!!!!!!
Is it difficult to assemble?
I'd go right now and buy a McLaren F1, If I was sure that I could handle all the work

AndyM
09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Lightweight - I wouldn't say it's difficult per se. It's not what I'd call and entry level project, but it's as good, if not better, than any other 1:8 scale piece I've ever done. The real challenge is retooling my bench. This project has absolutely no plastic in it. I find myself using a lot more power tools and a lot fewer hand tools. There's also a lot more opportunity for custom fabrication on this one. All-in-all, it's a lot of fun.

In terms of a McLaren. Building a model of one doesn't do much for me and driving them makes me claustrophobic.

lightweight
09-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Tooling? I have difficulties with glueing plastic models....
I'd say that it's not for me. And it looked so good!!!!!

Too good to be true.

lightweight
09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Question to AndyM.
I was wondering one day if I could buy a model engine that would be see-through so I could see the reciprocating parts
So,I would see the crank spinning and taing along rods and pistnons along with the valve train.

I'd really like to have such a thing to see!!

Matra et Alpine
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
the wonders of google http://www.discoverthis.com/visible-v8.html

henk4
09-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Question to AndyM.
I was wondering one day if I could buy a model engine that would be see-through so I could see the reciprocating parts
So,I would see the crank spinning and taing along rods and pistnons along with the valve train.

I'd really like to have such a thing to see!!

there was an American company at the Quail Lodge Concours in Monterey two weeks ago that demonstrated small scale, fully working engines. It was truly amazing. Unfortunately I forgot the name of that company, but I am sure Andy will know.

AndyM
09-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Lightweight - go for it! This thing is really quite a lot of fun. In terms of see-through engines, the one that Matra directed you to is very good. I've also used Lexan to create "windows" into the crank case of engines that I've built for display only. I just cut out a rectangle in the engine block, and insert the clear piece. It allows me to see the crank shaft and pistons in action.

Henk - the guys at The Quail were not from a company. They were members of the San Francisco Scale Engine club. These guys build from scratch. I have a name and contact number at home if you'd like to get in touch with them. They really do wonderful work and are a great group of folks.

Sauc3
09-07-2005, 06:46 AM
That is absolutely amazing! I still can't believe how wonderfully these models come out. You have some serious talent!
I had a look through the rest of your website, and in particular the Pocher meeting has the most breathtaking models I have ever seen. Yours included of course. :D

Amazing work, I can't wait to see the finished result! (No matter how long it'll take :p)

AndyM
09-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Thank you Sauc3. The second annual Pocher Gathering is happening next week in San Francisco. I can't be there, but I'm sure they'll be some unbelievable pieces on display.