PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions - Williams F1 Full-View

NuclearCrap
09-06-2005, 09:14 PM
How do I assemble the clear parts nicely? I know about the clear cement but I need to know how to cut off the parts without putting scratches or damaging them. Any suggestions please? Thanks in advance. BTW would the polishing compound be any useful?

henk4
09-07-2005, 12:53 AM
you have to be very careful in removing the clear parts from the sprue, they are brittle and will damage quickly. Use the sharpest knife possible, (Exacto) and take your time in removing the remainders of the sprue.

I have made several full view kits and I have used white glue (Micro Kristal Clear). It does not "eat" into the plastic but the bond is not too strong. I suppose that in the Williams kit only very few clear parts need to be glued anyway, and the main body part will slip over the chassis, just like in the non-transparent version. The parts that need to be glued will not have to support anything, and for instance mirrors can be attached without any damage by using white glue.

The only disadvantage of a clear body is that the sink marks on the inside of the body will remain visible. I have not heard of a proper way how to remove these, but may be somebody else has a good solution for that.

Matra et Alpine
09-07-2005, 04:07 AM
make sure the sprue and the part are supported before applying pressure on the knife.
Use a new sharp blade.
Cut careful.

I find it easiest to cut AT the sprue with fine cutters ( I use electronic wire cutters ) and then SHAVE the rest of the sprue down to the part.