PDA

View Full Version : cars that deserve attention

NAZCA C2
02-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Everybody talks about Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, ect. These cars are all great but there are a lot more cars out there that are just as good or better. What are your favorite cars that are underappreciated or people have forgotten about? Check out this Weismann, nobody ever talks about this car.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Everybody talks about Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, ect. These cars are all great but there are a lot more cars out there that are just as good or better. What are your favorite cars that are underappreciated or people have forgotten about? Check out this Weismann, nobody ever talks about this car.
"nobody ever talks about this car" that's because i've never seen it, it's stunning. :eek:

Lambo r-gt
02-11-2004, 08:21 AM
well i think the miura needs most attention :rolleyes:

whitesti mp626
02-11-2004, 10:23 AM

yeah that is pretty sweet, am i the only one that is from the US in these fourms. it seems like you guys are frm all over the world , thats great.
sweet car. like the wheels.
to me i think the evo and the sti should get a lot more credit. they deserve much more than what they are given. on paper they are accredited super cars. both of them do quarter miles in the low 13's the sti does it in 13.3 (U.S.DM) and the evo does it just as fast at 13.4. ... these times are just as fast as the M3, M5, Carerra, NSX, Aston Vanquish, vettes, some ferraris, and some of the amg benzos. but no one ever puts them in the same categories. people who dont know would never think a $30000 4 cylinder rally car can compete with the big boys, but they will be surprised

Spastik_Roach
02-11-2004, 03:01 PM
CATERHAMS! Caterham makes Lotus 7's and puts superbike engines in them. And that car looks wicked, do you know what its specs are?

http://user.tninet.se/~cmf606a/bilder/jansa1.jpg

Matra et Alpine
02-11-2004, 05:57 PM
CATERHAMS! Caterham makes Lotus 7's and puts superbike engines in them. And that car looks wicked, do you know what its specs are?
Lots similar ( and some improvements ) from many Lotus 7 copy-cat companies.
Sylva Stryker gets a particular mention for better handling with inboard coil-overs.
Westfield deserve a BIG mention for the Eight wihch is all V8 grunt.
Then there's the special twin Kawasaki engined one which I think has the fastest 0-60 time - need to check with kit car friend and I'll get the numbers ...
Love them all :)

jameswithington
02-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Then there's the special twin Kawasaki engined one which I think has the fastest 0-60 time - need to check with kit car friend and I'll get the numbers ...
Love them all :)

I think that's a Tiger Z100WR your talking about. Two 1200cc Kawasaki engines, each with their own 6 speed sequential gearbox, one engine powering the front wheels and one powering the rear.

0-60mph: 2.8 seconds
0-100mph: 6.3 seconds both done on fully legal rubber.

Completely nuts!!!

jameswithington
02-11-2004, 08:13 PM

There is quite a wide range of Caterham 7s available, though none of them actually use bike engines, they all use Rover K-series 4-cylinder engines in different states of tune. The top of the range models are the Superlight versions, with all unnecessary bits chucked out and carbonfibre used for the wheelarches and other little bits. There are three versions of the Superlight with the 1.8 litre engine in varying states of tune: the R300 (300bhp per ton), the R400 (400bhp/ton), and the absolute top of the range R500 (yep, you guessed it, 500bhp per ton!!!) They all give 0-60 in under four seconds, and I've seen one magazine that clocked the R500 at under 3.5 seconds to 60.

As Matra has mentioned there are quicker and more advanced Lotus 7-type cars available, but the Caterham is more 'official', as they actually bought the legendary Colin Chapman's original designs for the Lotus 7 from Lotus and put it into production under their own name. All the others are just imitations of Chapman's fabulous little car. :)

lfb666
02-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Yamaha OX99-11

Engine
Type: V12
Displacement: 3498 cc
Horsepower: 400 bhp @ 10000 rpm

Performance
0-60 mph: 3.2 sec

Others:
Venturi 600LM, Mercury Capri ASC McLaren, Ascari KZ1, Lotec Sirius, Spectre R42

Spastik_Roach
02-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Really? I know they use Rover K-Series, but I read in my Daily Express Guide To World Cars 2004 Edition that they do have multipile superbike-engined models. Well that is just weird.

IL Duce
02-12-2004, 07:48 AM
I once saw this Wiesmann in Zandvoort :cool: , the roadster version . 'll see to manage the pics of it. It's a really nice-looking fast machine, and I like the Salamander as logo. Well done, by some Germans, can you imagine!!!! ;)

IL Duce
02-12-2004, 08:19 AM
By the way, I think the Caterham is beaten by the Donkervoort: Also a new Lotus 7 like car, but the Donkervoort has a 1.8T Audi-engine, varied from 150 to 210 hp. I also think the Donkervoorts are cooler, they just look sooo slick and smooth... :D
Too bad The Donkervoort D8 210 doesn't beat the Caterhams R500: it's 0.6 secs slower for the sprint at 4 secs flat, and the topspeed is 235 km/h, which is 240 for the Caterham. It just has 30 more hp's, but I think it's the more luxeus interior de D8 has that makes him weightier..... :(

Matra et Alpine
02-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Really? I know they use Rover K-Series, but I read in my Daily Express Guide To World Cars 2004 Edition that they do have multipile superbike-engined models. Well that is just weird.
Jame is right that Caterham factory cars are all K-series engines of varying power and weight.
BUT, there is a 'factory supported' conversion which puts the old Honda Firebalde engine into the Caterham superlight chassis. A winning combination but not as extreme as the 4WD one. It's not REALLY a Caterham though....
Journo on the DE probably didn't know any better. A book by a 'famous' journalist said the Matra Bagheera was the first 3 seater sports car ( true ) and that like the F1 the driver sat in the middle - FALSE. :)
The new Firebalde engine has just been quoted in the bike mags as pushing out 220BHP deom the factory ( 1000cc engine ). Now if they put that in place of the 'old' blade engine, we're looking at an even more interesting Cateram :) :)
I love light weight and lots of power, THE ultimate RUSH !!!

Matra et Alpine
02-12-2004, 09:34 AM
By the way, I think the Caterham is beaten by the Donkervoort: Also a new Lotus 7 like car, but the Donkervoort has a 1.8T Audi-engine, varied from 150 to 210 hp. I also think the Donkervoorts are cooler, they just look sooo slick and smooth... :D
Too bad The Donkervoort D8 210 doesn't beat the Caterhams R500: it's 0.6 secs slower for the sprint at 4 secs flat, and the topspeed is 235 km/h, which is 240 for the Caterham. It just has 30 more hp's, but I think it's the more luxeus interior de D8 has that makes him weightier..... :(
It's hard to make up for extra weight :)
I like the D from a distance, but up close it just is too fussy.
Everyone has the problem that Colin designed the best looking nose and rear for the design and despite everyone trying they can't beat it. The double grille on the front of the D is just not nice :(

Suka
02-12-2004, 10:11 AM
I believe GTM cars need more attention.
The Libra and Spyder both out run and out handle a Lotus Elise 111s and are only 16 grand!!!!
(The red libra is mine)

SL500
02-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Morgan

Matra et Alpine
02-12-2004, 11:08 AM
The Libra and Spyder both out run and out handle a Lotus Elise 111s and are only 16 grand!!!!
(The red libra is mine)
handle better than a 111s ?
What suspension is used in the Libra and Spyder ?
Friends Rossa is older but shows the drawbacks of using suspension off a donor vehicle in its handling.
Nice cars but I'd need convincing they'd beat an Elise.
I'm interested to know more about the cars, maybe you can educate us all and get more converts into the kit car fold !!

NAZCA C2
02-12-2004, 11:46 AM
these two Westfield's will beat a caterham or donkervoort, they are both powered by the suzuki hayabusa engine.

Suka
02-12-2004, 01:19 PM
handle better than a 111s ?
What suspension is used in the Libra and Spyder ?
Friends Rossa is older but shows the drawbacks of using suspension off a donor vehicle in its handling.
Nice cars but I'd need convincing they'd beat an Elise.
I'm interested to know more about the cars, maybe you can educate us all and get more converts into the kit car fold !!
Brand new suspension is used, GAZ shocks front and rear, normal wishbones on the front and a trailing arm setup at the back. I have met the man who designed it, pure genius!

these two Westfield's will beat a caterham or donkervoort, they are both powered by the suzuki hayabusa engine.
Westfield have a new track car out, its called the XTR4 its got a new audi engine in it.

Matra et Alpine
02-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Interesting to see how they stack up against the original Hayabusa track car the RADICAL. Especially the turbo version :)

Doza
02-12-2004, 06:20 PM
BMW......
http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/BMW_Isetta_fs.jpg
Isetta

Spastik_Roach
02-12-2004, 11:13 PM
LoL @ Doza. Westfield XTR2/XTR4 are easily one of the best track cars in the world. In my opinion they look like slighlty sized down Le Mans cars and that would make you feel pretty special driving them :D

whiteballz
02-19-2004, 02:52 AM
i recently saw a caterham going 10 10ths around a hillclimb, (on tarmac) dam it was really fast! it is good to see that it smashed a evo 8 and a porche 911 track special (not 2 mention a boxter S) he was warming up his tyres (burning out) and he just lost all his oil out the bottom of his fuel tank/ fuel lines? how the hell could this happen?!? i am confused! o well

fpv_gtho
02-19-2004, 04:11 AM
after reading through all the comments in this thread, ive realised how much of a V8 influenced society ive grown up in lol