PDA

View Full Version : Why do the British and Americans spell differently?

Classic Anycar
09-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Check vs. Cheque
Color vs. Colour
Tire vs. Tyre

Why are all the British words different? Although I do believe we could use those words to distinguish definitions, such as "to check" versus "to cash a cheque" or "i am tired" versus "i have a flat tyre".

Rockefella
09-08-2005, 08:44 PM
The British think they're cool, don't ask. :D

fpv_gtho
09-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if its a knock-back effect from the Americans fighting for independance..

spi-ti-tout
09-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh here come the British and Scottish Brigade :D

pimento
09-08-2005, 09:51 PM
The americans decided to be different I guess, hence all the different volumetric measures (ie, US gallons are smaller than everyone else's...though you'd think they'd have made them bigger...)

crisis
09-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Perhaps the influence of Spanish, African and South America. Combined with the fact they removed themselves , rather acrimoniously, from the British Empire.

Egg Nog
09-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Perhaps the influence of Spanish, African and South America. Combined with the fact they removed themselves , rather acrimoniously, from the British Empire.

*Akrimoniuslee

PsychoChimp22
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
lol..i dono.
there special.

btw i say colour :)

crisis
09-08-2005, 10:43 PM
*Akrimoniuslee
Wow you guys really f$#% with the language! :D

henk4
09-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Wow you guys really f$#% with the language! :D

but he is Canadian....

crisis
09-08-2005, 11:22 PM
but he is Canadian....
I know, must be the French influence. The Yanks would never cop to that. :D

henk4
09-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I know, must be the French influence. The Yanks would never cop to that. :D

Well, zey might try

Suka
09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
'You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your
bottoms, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you,
so-called Arthur-king, you and all your silly English kaniggets.'

crisis
09-08-2005, 11:42 PM
What a strange man!

Suka
09-08-2005, 11:43 PM
There is a Monty Python quote for every eventuality.
:D :D :D

henk4
09-08-2005, 11:45 PM
There is a Monty Python quote for every eventuality.
Ni, Ni, Ni

Suka
09-08-2005, 11:54 PM
"Aaugh! I said it! I said it! Ooh! I said it
again! That's three its!"

henk4
09-09-2005, 12:05 AM
you might get away with this by providing me with a shrubbery though

Matra et Alpine
09-09-2005, 01:19 AM
well, to bring a smile to every American .......

Both spellings were used in the Middle Ages as back then the writer was tending to be phonetic about the spelling. Dictionaries came later :)

By Shakesperean era then it was mostly centER type spelling.

So in the 17C when everyone was buggaring off to "pastures new" they took the English spelling of the day.

In Britain the "french" became 'trendy' and the spelling of many words became changed to reflect a more francophile influence. As this predated most of the people being able to read and write then the 'new' spellings became the norm. Especially once Dr Johnson put the 'new' spellings into the first ever dictionary as they were the nornal spellings of the day.

By the time of the Napolenic wars they English were stuck with having to spell words the French way :D ( Didn't bother us Scots as we had the "auld alliance" with the French :) Hence marmalade :D )

Mustang
09-09-2005, 01:55 AM
The americans dont know english :p

Matra et Alpine
09-09-2005, 02:04 AM
The americans dont know english :p
It's us really :)
All down to the French influence ( and the interest in Greece history -- IIRC the -ise v -ize is down to a fasciniation with Greek hsityr and a change again then cast by Johnson )
Webster has some blame to shoulder. Color is down to him, he 'preferred' the simpler spelling. There were many other attempts he made to have Americans spell other words 'better' but few of them took off. ( If anyone ever finds the definitive list of them please point me to it. I had this argument in telecommunications specifications and patents I've submitted over the dropping of two Ls when together )

VtecMini
09-09-2005, 05:00 AM
well, to bring a smile to every American ....... Ah, here we go. Matra et Alpine. When you absolutely, positively have to finish every thread in a forum with your endless stream of knowledge... accept no substitute"
http://www.infilm.com.au/reviews/images/jbrown.JPG

Vaigra
09-09-2005, 05:04 AM
It's us really :)

shush! it's English...made in England, in Britain :p:D

Matra et Alpine
09-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Ah, here we go. Matra et Alpine. When you absolutely, positively have to finish every thread in a forum with your endless stream of knowledge... accept no substitute
I did wait to give someone else a chance to answer the question posed :D

IBrake4Rainbows
09-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Two Words; Websters Dictionary.

Simplified Words in order to allow simple folk to understand them, removed useless letters and shortened words.

Huge Selling Dictionary in the US way back when, Not so big selling everywhere else. The US adopted it as the right way to spell.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Suka
09-09-2005, 08:35 AM
I did wait to give someone else a chance to answer the question posed :D
But we just came up with useless Monty Python Quotes!

Which we are very good at.

Matra et Alpine
09-09-2005, 03:57 PM
But we just came up with useless Monty Python Quotes!

Which we are very good at.
oh no your not

lithuanianmafia
09-09-2005, 08:37 PM
my theory: just the natural evolution of language

"Clevor" Angel
09-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm with Mafia on this one. BUT if you want to hear "American" english go to the southern United States (of course right now you wouldn't want to go to far south for obviuos reasons), IT'S A WHOLE NOTHER LANGUAGE!
I usually use the british RE if I don't think about it. I think the friggin SAE system of measurements is confusing though, why don't we just switch? I mean wouldn't it be easier if we just switched to metric, why use Miles, feet, inches, yards? ... I mean come on.

The_Canuck
09-09-2005, 08:50 PM
in Canada its a mix of both British and american spelling ie: we'll spell it colour but we use tire as well.

lithuanianmafia
09-09-2005, 08:58 PM
in Canada its a mix of both British and american spelling ie: we'll spell it colour but we use tire as well.
Yep, we's a cwazy ppl! ;)