PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors on Schumi's F1

sebtellica
09-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Hey,

has anyone noticed the mirrors on Schumi's Ferrari? They are of different size and I was wondering why ...? First noticed that during the Monza GP and now in Spa. Unfortunately, not a single commentator on TV has ever mentioned that difference.

Any answers to that?

seb

Dino Scuderia
09-10-2005, 06:59 AM
They occasaionally mount one low so that he can keep a view of the rear tyre to check wear.

Matra et Alpine
09-10-2005, 07:04 AM
This was coverd in the ITV coverage for last race.

as Dino said, MS likes to inspect his rear tyres during the race.

:Exige:
09-10-2005, 09:47 AM
as Dino said, MS likes to inspect his rear tyres during the race.
I dont understand why. Surely you'd be able to judge how worn your tyres are by the way the car handles :confused:

Jack_Bauer
09-10-2005, 09:54 AM
I dont understand why. Surely you'd be able to judge how worn your tyres are by the way the car handles :confused:

You will be able to feel that there is a problem with the back end of the car but it might be difficult to know whether it is the tyre or suspension or something else. Being able to see the tyre means you can tell one way or the other whether it is the tyres or something mechanical on the chassis.

my porsche
09-10-2005, 10:02 AM
He likes to make sure his hair is perfectly quaffed while racing, any misplaced hairs coming out of the visor could mean cosmetic career suicide.

lukeh
09-10-2005, 10:50 AM
In WRC there is a foam used in the tyres so when there is a puncture the foam holds the tyres from deinflation, being so much trouble with tyres this year could this principle work in F1 or would there be too much performance loss.

Matra et Alpine
09-10-2005, 03:26 PM
By the time a blister is big enough or a shoulder wearing down to reduce grip on edge then it's too late to adjust drivign style to protect them. Remember that now that they can't change tyres it's important to adjust driving to protect them.
This way Schumi can use his brains to adjust BEFORE it affects the handling.

Matra et Alpine
09-10-2005, 03:29 PM
In WRC there is a foam used in the tyres so when there is a puncture the foam holds the tyres from deinflation, being so much trouble with tyres this year could this principle work in F1 or would there be too much performance loss.
HUGE temperature problems with the foam and it increases the unsprung mass.
it manages tokeep tht tyres 'semi-usable' for about 5-10 miles ( VERY dependant on road and driver ) . So not really a big advantage for F1. With a burst you're coming in for a tyre change anyway - remember WRC dont have mechanics and pit tools to do fast changes :)