PDA

View Full Version : The ASHES

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm not all that interested in cricket.

But I had to repeat the commetnary frmo the Sky sports web site.

5:30pm and the light is starting to fade and England are STILL in.......

325-8 - Barry Humphries, Ian Thorpe, Bob Hawke, Paul Hogan, Skippy The Kangaroo, Harold Bishop, Dame Edna, Rolf Harris, Elle MacPherson, Pat Cash, Kylie Minogue, Dannii Minogue, Jason Donovan, Mark Viduka, Natalie Imbruglia, Ned Kelly, Craig McDermott, Merv Hughes, Allan Border, Rodney Marsh, Craig McLaughlin, Home and Away, Barbie on the Beach, Fosters, XXXX, Heartbreak High, Mel Gibson, Terry Alderman.....Your boys have taken one hell of a beating! .................................................. ................Well not really, three matches were very much in the balance until the very end and it's been an enthralling series.

Well done England :choke:

Tough luck Australia

Mustang
09-12-2005, 09:36 AM
pwn3d

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2005, 09:38 AM
I like Sky's sense of humour.
Murdoch might jsut slap a few wrists :)

Here's another classic from them ..............

309-8 - For those around Earl's Court tonight, please send my regards to your local Antipodean bartender. I wonder if McGrath regrets the five-nil drubbing promise he made a few weeks ago. That will go down along with Tony Greig's "we'll make them grovel" as one of the most unwise predictions in sporting history.

kennyknoxville
09-12-2005, 09:46 AM
cricket is a frustrating game. it makes me go kwaaaaaaazyyyyy
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Captures/CapturesQ-Z/Riki-Oh/riki_head.jpg
BOOM head shot

Delboy
09-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Come on England. There is no doubt that we deserved it! For all the Aussies... better luck next time!

:Exige:
09-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I ar TeH w1NNaR!!!11!!!

SlickHolden
09-12-2005, 12:39 PM
The Ashes have never left england anyway:D So we lost nothing:p

2ndclasscitizen
09-12-2005, 03:59 PM
The only reason there was that other drawn match was because the poms didn't know what to do when they were winning, they got confused. Anyway, its footy finals time, not cricket season

DieselRacer
09-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Congrats to England for winning the series!

I have a question though - I know we only needed to draw this one, but could we have not declared our second innings with about 30 overs to go and at least attempt to bowl the Aussies out and win the game? At 30 overs, it was very unlikely Australia could have got the required runs needed, yet with 180 balls, we could have likely got our 10 wickets (especially if the AUssies were slogging it trying to score).

Just makes me wonder thats all... I know little about cricket tactics...

2ndclasscitizen
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
no cause they were probably scared that they might choke again

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Just makes me wonder thats all... I know little about cricket tactics...
Nothing to do with tactics, your choice needed BALLS (!) :D

DieselRacer
09-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Nothing to do with tactics, your choice needed BALLS (!) :D

LOL - very good!

I guess it would have been a brave decision. Had I been captain, I think I would have tried to win the match though. I seemed like a low-risk option. They would have needed something like 10 an over (assuming the light stayed) to win, whereas we would have needed only 10 wickets against a team taking big risks to score big.

Hmmmm.....

h00t_h00t
09-12-2005, 04:31 PM
They were playing a safe game, the only good thing about this result is its now the longest possible time until the next ashes series.

UCR
09-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Anoraks :D

fpv_gtho
09-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Although i usually turn my nose up at cricket, i suppose England deserved this one. This years team was really abysmal, and if we werent screwing up on the field, Shane Warne was hitting on some woman in the nightclub. Better luck next year.

Blitz_
09-13-2005, 06:07 AM
^^ hmm a very poor understatement if you ask me. The team wasn't bad at all, more like bad luck was a prominent factor. For example, i don't recall Aussies winning a coin toss at all, and the umpiring hasn't been flash either. The team didn't find form when they needed to, but inspiration is what made the team shine through on so many occasions. A number of the test matches were very, very close, and went through to the last day. The team was not abysmal at all thankyou very much, and i'd like to see your reasons for saying that, lol have you been watching too much BBC?

Saying that, i give credit to Shane Warne, without doubt one of the legends of the game, and in my books the greatest bowler in history. Furthermore, congratulations to England, you outplayed us, and showed that you can pull a really good croud.

fpv_gtho
09-13-2005, 08:43 PM
We've had it for the last, what, 16 years? Now this year everyone was predicting England to take it after the 2nd, 3rd test? We played crap, theres no way around it.

Blitz_
09-13-2005, 08:46 PM
We didn't play crap, i can't believe you just said that to be honest, becuase if you actaully watched some of it, say one day of it you would have realised the amount of effort they put into thier game to get back into it. There were so many times that they lifted and gave it to 'em. Furthermore, i think that england just played better, we were not "crap". :mad:

fpv_gtho
09-13-2005, 08:54 PM
We didnt play crap, but our once dominant form just lost us something we've held for 16 years. Go figure

IBrake4Rainbows
09-13-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm going to go all patriotic here.

Theres only one thing worse than losing to the English at anything, but losing to Cocky, Arrogant people, english or not, burns more.

No Offence to his fans, but Flintoff is an arrogant dickhead. He's a talented bowler, sure, but remember, Shane Warne was once as arrogant (Some argue he still is) and look where he is, great career wise, but his personal life is in tatters.

Best use Landlines, Flinty.....;)

<End Patriotic Rant/>

Seriously, we got complacent and didn't get the job done. Big Deal.

Blitz_
09-14-2005, 03:01 AM
lol, well i don't think Flintoff is arrogant at all, do you say that just because he is good? He is a very, very talented all rounder, not just a bowler. England had one of them a while ago, destroyed us, then he met mr.alcohol.

SlickHolden
09-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I watched the whole Series thanks to Fox Sport2:D.
And we were at best running at 80% at times low 50's. We have got away with that in the past and played a day of great cricket here and there. Not anymore the time has come where 1 day of great cricket won't do it anymore it's a test over 5 days not 1.
We got out played but we were far from a dominate side the writing was on the wall our form has been up and very much down leading into the series. I think the 1 dayers showed us that;).

I don't know if i would call Flintoff arrogant i would use the FigJam word :D

But in the end Cricket will be so much stronger and the next Ashes will be like a World Cup final;)

Jack_Bauer
09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Warney drops the Ashes. Oops! :p

http://viral.lycos.co.uk/attachments/4305/Warney_600x500.jpg

All in good fun of course! ;)

DieselRacer
09-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Lmfao!!