PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson hit in face by pie!

Jack_Bauer
09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Broadcaster and columnist Jeremy Clarkson's big day ended in tears after a protester hit him in the face with a custard pie at a degree ceremony.

The outspoken Top Gear presenter was at Oxford Brookes University to collect an honorary degree in recognition of his "passion for engineering", highlighted by his championing Isambard Brunel in the Great Britons BBC television series.

But the decision has proved to be controversial and protesters, including members of Oxford's Green Party, assembled outside the presentation dressed in Clarkson's trademark tight jeans and wigs.

Despite stringent security cordons and a massive police presence that outnumbered the handful of protesters waving banners that read On Yer Bike Clarkson at the gates, a woman managed to gain access to a media call after the degree ceremony.

She dashed out in front of the television cameras and, as Mr Clarkson posed in his cap and gown, removed what appeared to be a custard pie from a wrapped-up Guardian newspaper and hit him full in the face.

The startled presenter maintained his cool, quipped "good shot" and posed for a few more pictures before beating his retreat.

Mr Clarkson has been criticised for engaging in stunts such as driving a 4x4 through an environmentally sensitive peat bog in Scotland and inciting people to break the law by hiding mobile phone use while driving.

Speaking shortly before the assault, he defended his record on environmental issues, saying: "I do have a disregard for the environment. I think the world can look after itself and we should enjoy it as best we can."

But while protesters outside denied any involvement in the prank, they said Mr Clarkson was a "dangerous buffoon" who did not deserve any recognition.

Nearly 3,000 people have signed an online petition against Clarkson receiving the honorary degree.

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd 2005, All Rights Reserved.

Damn straight, it's about time someone brought that idiot down a peg or two! :p

Plus I hate all this 'honorary degree' nonsense. It's all just fairly cynical PR work by both University and the celebs who accept them. The Unis get the exposure of being linked with a well known face and the celebs get the kudos of being made to look intellectual and important by doing sweet F.A. :rolleyes:

targa
09-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I so thought it was Kelly Clarkson......bummer

dydzi
09-12-2005, 03:06 PM
i'd like to see a pic of him

btw, i think all those protesters think in the very same way as globalist - they're making protest without even thinking against

kennyknoxville
09-12-2005, 03:08 PM
thats kinda funny, but i feel bad for him (tho i have no idea who he is). whatever, just one of the drawbacks of being a public figure.

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2005, 03:08 PM
some of them were bikers as he has on a number of times suggested forcing them off the roads and shotting them.

Bikers are not a group to antagonise :)

Jack_Bauer
09-12-2005, 03:14 PM
btw, i think all those protesters think in the very same way as globalist - they're making protest without even thinking against

Well I think the protestors have a valid point when he comes out with moronic comments like, "I do have a disregard for the environment. I think the world can look after itself and we should enjoy it as best we can."

Clarkson is in a position of certain responsibility where a lot of viewers take a genuine interest in what he is saying. With comments like this he is effectively promoting a flippant disregard for the environment. He deserves all the pies they can throw at him for that kind of idiocy IMHO. :)

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Well I think the protestors have a valid point when he comes out with moronic comments like, "I do have a disregard for the environment. I think the world can look after itself and we should enjoy it as best we can."
He'd get the republican presidency nomination for that :D
What's the problem ? Global warmign is a myth !!

Clarkson is in a position of certain responsibility where a lot of viewers take a genuine interest in what he is saying. With comments like this he is effectively promoting a flippant disregard for the environment. He deserves all the pies they can throw at him for that kind of idiocy IMHO. :)
In the UK MOST know his sense of humour and can understand to take his comments as they are intended. I would contend that those protesting would not have watched much of TG and been incited to it by the coverage of his comments "out of context" - it's an ENTERTAINMENT program :)

And I say that as a biker who screamed at the TV at his anti-bike comments !!

Viper007
09-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Jack....where did you get the KABBADI thing for your signature, do you play?

kennyknoxville
09-12-2005, 03:35 PM
leftists are funny

2ndclasscitizen
09-12-2005, 03:52 PM
At least the degree they gave him was relevant to him, he bangs on and on about engineering. If you watch him on top gear for even 5 minutes, you can see he is a master of the hyberbole

Vaigra
09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
thats kinda funny, but i feel bad for him (tho i have no idea who he is). whatever, just one of the drawbacks of being a public figure.
on a car forum and you don't know who JC is? :confused:
you never seen Top Gear?

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2005, 03:59 PM
leftists are funny
might be, EXCEPT that over here most 'greens' are conservatives or Lib-Dem voters who moved to green for their conscience.

The world isnt' dominated by blind partisan politics :D

PS: enjoy ---- http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40791000/jpg/_40791776_jeremypie203.jpg

kennyknoxville
09-12-2005, 04:40 PM
on a car forum and you don't know who JC is? :confused:
you never seen Top Gear?
nah. is that show on speed? is he that hick? the hicks a cool guy

GT F1
09-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Since we're on the this topic: Bill Gates getting pied in the face in 1998. :D
http://www.StupidVideos.com/?VideoID=15
I would of uploaded a higher resolution video, but it was 2.2 MB.

"Clevor" Angel
09-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I find the whole thing hilarious. Its like a sitcom, TV presenter spontaniously gets an honorary degree, and the whole cap n' gown was pretty funny.

You can make anyone sound bad stating their quotes out of context.

UCR
09-13-2005, 12:55 AM
I hate saddo's like them protesters, they need to get a life.

Vaigra
09-13-2005, 03:01 AM
nah. is that show on speed? is he that hick? the hicks a cool guy
It's a UK show on BBC.
Not sure when and where it comes on over there. Ask around, I'm sure somebody can fill you in.

Matra et Alpine
09-13-2005, 03:09 AM
I hate saddo's like them protesters, they need to get a life.
If petrol goes to £2 a gallong will you be at the refinery gates protesting ?

Everyone at some point will have SOMETHING they feel strongly anough to protest about. You've just not met yours yet. Mine was poll tax :D You're young :D

R34GTR
09-13-2005, 06:52 AM
I agree with UCR these commies should F*** off :D , come on everybody knows his comments are not to be taken seriously even by himself, O well at the end of the day he gets paid for driving fast cars and their just saddo's like UCR sad

UCR
09-13-2005, 09:11 AM
If petrol goes to £2 a gallong will you be at the refinery gates protesting ?

Everyone at some point will have SOMETHING they feel strongly anough to protest about. You've just not met yours yet. Mine was poll tax :D You're young :D
I have had loads of stuff to get mad about but i usaly attemp to threaten the person incharge, doesnt work so i give it a rest, ill never camp out or make banners and go on parades and that ever lol :D

R34GTR I agree with UCR these commies should F*** off , come on everybody knows his comments are not to be taken seriously even by himself, O well at the end of the day he gets paid for driving fast cars and their just saddo's like UCR sad

Good lad ;)

Spastik_Roach
09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Jeremy Clarkson is my idol :D

IBrake4Rainbows
09-14-2005, 12:01 AM
As South Park famously quotes; When people have life so good they get bored very easily, and start protesting the stupidest things.

JC might just be another victim of the english mentality of cutting down tall poppies, after all, they did invent Tabloid Journalism.

I seriously question the intelligence of these protesters, perhaps they were peeved not to get an honourary degree in Prattism from the university of Tw*tford.....

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Jeremy Clarkson is my idol :D
Agreed. His style of writing is really rather good.

I have to say I agree with a lot of the stuff he says, it's nice to see someone who actually says what he thinks, and can send himself up. We need more of them.

Coventrysucks
09-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Ahh the Greens.

They think busses are good because they create less pollution.

My bus gets 3mpg and uses 150 gallons of fuel in a ten hour shift every night of the year. That's just one bus.

Great for the environment eh?

Matra et Alpine
09-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Ahh the Greens.

They think busses are good because they create less pollution.

My bus gets 3mpg and uses 150 gallons of fuel in a ten hour shift every night of the year. That's just one bus.

Great for the environment eh?
definately an issue for any bus company as not only do they pollute excessively if running with just one passenger, BUT they lose money.

Put 20 people in the bus and the car is the excessive polluter :)

It's why Jumbo jets per person per mile travelled get better fuel consumption than the most efficient diesel out there :)