PDA

View Full Version : First Job Interview

shr0olvl
09-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Yes. After a LONG search for a job... I finally got a/my first job interview on Thursday for Krogers which is a grocery store if you don't already know. Nothin to be proud of really. :o It's my first job... Gotta start somewhere eh. :p But I really just wanted to get some tips for the interview before I go. Just throw some questions at me that you think they will probably ask me on the interview so I can look over them and be prepared when I go. :cool:

my porsche
09-12-2005, 03:22 PM
dont mention you smoke pot would be a good start :p

Matra et Alpine
09-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Learn about the company.
Look up their web site and see what the companyu 'ethos' is, there attitude to customers. Be prepared with some quotes you could use if you were asked how you woudl handle a customer, a refund, a problem, faulty goods and complaints. ANY decent manager will spot that you've done a bit of research.
Prepare some questions that YOU will ask. Again these shoudl reflect the job, the store, the producst and the company ethos. Ask these kind of questinos BEFORE you ask about hours, salary and overtime :)
Find as many on-line aplication forms for companies as you can and see what answers you'd give in them - it's good practies nad helps fomrulate yoru own ideas about what you want to do.
Have you written your CV yet ? Do it and if you've not already sent it in, take it in with you. WHen asked a questino that the answer is ON there, give him/her the verbal answer AND give them the CV and point out you've written some of that down for them to refer to later.

Favourite Qs by all managers...
- give an example of workign in a team
- give an example of how you have helped someone
- give an example of an interaction with a friend or in a group where things went wrong and the outcome
- describe your strengths
- describe your weaknesses
( these two are 'be careful' answers as they'll likely have a follow-up on a few of the things you list and ask you to expand on it )

I'll get soem more for you later if this hasn't already scared you into realising how much effort it is to prepare for ANY interview :D

( PS: it worked again as youngest went for her FIRST interview. We'd done all of the above AND I did some mock interviews. By the end of the interview the manager indicated the job would be offered to her !!!!! She just finished her first weekend )

kennyknoxville
09-12-2005, 03:34 PM
wow matra...thats good (and painfully thorough) info for anyone seeking any type of job. i would have suggested a nice tie

targa
09-12-2005, 05:09 PM
dont mention you smoke pot would be a good start :pThat might help if your interviewing at a resturant....

but yeah, don't mention anything about drugs in your interview....at all.

I didn't really have an interview for my job (where I now hold Chef status), one of the referances I put on the application was my hiring boss' girlfriend, so~

taz_rocks_miami
09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
I think Matra sumed up the advice very well, a first job IS something to be proud of. Good luck dude. :)

shr0olvl
09-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I think Matra sumed up the advice very well, a first job IS something to be proud of. Good luck dude. :)

I agree. I think he nailed it perfectly. But im having trouble coming up with weaknesses. :D Hopefully they won't ask me that question.

F1_Master
09-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Don't bring up paycheck.
Don't ask how the pay is.

In fact, let him, the interviewer bring it up.

magracer
09-12-2005, 06:38 PM
They will probably ask if you have any previous experience in related business, be it an apprenticeship or familiy business, any thing helps.

Also, it's usual to ask where you see yourself in 5 years. Answer something smart but not surreal, unless you can back it up with a competent strategy.

It helped me to show interest in learning and then, when I got the job, actually using every open door (ever so sligthly open) as a chance to learn new things. It helped me get promotions much faster than most others.

Finally, donīt lie.

Good luck!

crisis
09-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I agree. I think he nailed it perfectly. But im having trouble coming up with weaknesses. :D Hopefully they won't ask me that question.
Pick a weakness that can also be a strength. Dont be afraid to lie. Something like, "well I am a bit of a perfectionist and that sometimes tests peoples patience." " I like to help others quite a bit which sometimes can restrict the time I spend on the tasks I have to perform." " I always put the team first so that can sometimes affect the way people see my own personal achievements." " I will always make sure I listen to all points of view which can sometimes cause my decision making process to take a little longer than normal."

Give em what they deserve. ;)

Matra et Alpine
09-13-2005, 02:22 AM
Pick a weakness that can also be a strength. Dont be afraid to lie. Something like, "well I am a bit of a perfectionist and that sometimes tests peoples patience." " I like to help others quite a bit which sometimes can restrict the time I spend on the tasks I have to perform." " I always put the team first so that can sometimes affect the way people see my own personal achievements." " I will always make sure I listen to all points of view which can sometimes cause my decision making process to take a little longer than normal."

Give em what they deserve. ;)
If you do "lie" be VERY careful as anyone with any interview experience or even just good people-reading skills will ask a follow-up that will trip you up.

You have to ask if the risk of that is worth the risk of NOT getting the job :)

'cos if you DO get caught in a "white lie" nobody would employ you.

"mild exageration" is possibly OK, but even then it can trip you up. The person who says they "led a team doign X" will get asked about the steps taken and ONE slip up showing they didnt' "lead" means the door :(

IF you fill in LOTS of application forms, spend 4-6 hours writing and honing a CV then you have a CHANCE that exagerated-facts won't be spotted. BUT you really need someone to do mock interviews to test your skills at maintaining the "lie". By then you've created enough "image" for it to stand up to noddy-interview investigations.

BUT I have to advise that if you can't get a job by the "truth" ( even if mildly distorted" then why should you deserve a job by lying ? And woudl you enjoy it, stick to it ?? It's a classic short-term solution which just gives long-term problems.

'course if the job is a part-time stacking shelves type then it's not that important what you say to get it ( except as advised do NOT mention Puff :) )

Good luck whichever way you want to take it.

Matra et Alpine
09-13-2005, 02:25 AM
ask family and friends if you're struggling with the introspection to see your own faults.

Few are brought up as kids to see any "faults" in ourselves as if done excessively it reduces confidence.

Ask friends - but be careful they may say some things that you dont like/want to hear and damage the friendship.

Ask the guys/girls who do NOT liek you. Find out why.

Be careful though as the critisism and "truth" might be a little too much to handle if you really can't spot it yourself :( Look the weed up for the week you do this :D

my porsche
09-13-2005, 01:36 PM
well, tehre are two of these stores within a short drive of me, and judging by thoses stores they "ethos" is "selling wilting produce and expired dairy since 1974" so i usually go to a mexican grocery with one of the BEST butchers ever :D

crisis
09-13-2005, 04:47 PM
If you do "lie" be VERY careful as anyone with any interview experience or even just good people-reading skills will ask a follow-up that will trip you up.

You have to ask if the risk of that is worth the risk of NOT getting the job :)

'cos if you DO get caught in a "white lie" nobody would employ you.

"mild exageration" is possibly OK, but even then it can trip you up. The person who says they "led a team doign X" will get asked about the steps taken and ONE slip up showing they didnt' "lead" means the door :(

IF you fill in LOTS of application forms, spend 4-6 hours writing and honing a CV then you have a CHANCE that exagerated-facts won't be spotted. BUT you really need someone to do mock interviews to test your skills at maintaining the "lie". By then you've created enough "image" for it to stand up to noddy-interview investigations.

BUT I have to advise that if you can't get a job by the "truth" ( even if mildly distorted" then why should you deserve a job by lying ? And woudl you enjoy it, stick to it ?? It's a classic short-term solution which just gives long-term problems.

'course if the job is a part-time stacking shelves type then it's not that important what you say to get it ( except as advised do NOT mention Puff :) )

Good luck whichever way you want to take it.
I wouldnt suggest lying about your ability or experience. Just the lame ass questions like "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" Recruiting is a science and professionals that do it are trained just the way you indicate. But there are still the old school out there who dont know how to interview and ask stupid questions. I once had an interview with a fairly well regarded home building company here and was confronted with one of the owners. He asked all of these lame questions and sat there like a big deal. At the end he said something like " this is the question that will make or break the interview, what is the most important quality a sales person must have?"

Matra et Alpine
09-13-2005, 04:51 PM
I wouldnt suggest lying about your ability or experience. Just the lame ass questions like "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" Recruiting is a science and professionals that do it are trained just the way you indicate. But there are still the old school out there who dont know how to interview and ask stupid questions. I once had an interview with a fairly well regarded home building company here and was confronted with one of the owners. He asked all of these lame questions and sat there like a big deal. At the end he said something like " this is the question that will make or break the interview, what is the most important quality a sales person must have?"
agreed Crisis.

BUT you don't know what kind of person is goign to interview you :(

Also, yes , professional recruiting IS a science ( and part art tho' ) and most folks can be trained to be VERY good. BUT there are also people who are just GOOD at finding out about people. THEY're the ones to be scared of :)

spi-ti-tout
09-13-2005, 05:47 PM
"what is the most important quality a sales person must have?"
The "customers are the ones that keep you living" attitude? :confused:

CHEESE-TACULAR
09-13-2005, 05:48 PM
no; the ability to hold one of those retarded smiles after youve been kiked in the groin for not leaving the fifth time

crisis
09-13-2005, 05:50 PM
I went through about 5 answers (it could be anything depending on the ethos of the company) and the wanker never told me his all important answer. This tosser let me wait for about 3/4 of an hour at 5.30pm as well.

Mattg
09-14-2005, 05:16 AM
I work at a grocery store and i never had to go through an interview.

Matra et Alpine
09-14-2005, 05:30 AM
I work at a grocery store and i never had to go through an interview.
must have been your natural charm :D

Either that or you were the only guy willing to work for the wage !!

( BTW, what's typical wage for grocery store work ? My daughter is earning more per hour punching a till than my SO does supporting the teaching of 'challenged' kids in class !!!! )