PDA

View Full Version : 10-question Engine/Layout quiz...

Egg Nog
02-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Here's a set of questions for you guys...you don't need to answer them all, but answer what you can :) Some are extremely easy, and some are a little more difficult...

I hate to use the general Gran Turismo fanboy acronyms, but for the sake of this thread, they do make things a lot easier. [First initial is engine location (Front/mid/rear), and second names the drive wheels (front/rear)...

I left the colons and the bold formatting in so that you can copy-and-paste the answer. Just add a " [ " to the beginning of each one and it'll all work.

b]1. Name 2 FF cars:[/b]
b]2. Name 2 FR cars:[/b]
b]3. Name 2 MR cars:[/b]
b]4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4[/b]
b]5. Name 1 car with a front-mounted flat-6[/b]
b]6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8[/b]
b]7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12[/b]
b]8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle)[/b]
b]9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle[/b]
b]10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheels[/b]

nat0_turbo
02-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Here's a set of questions for you guys...you don't need to answer them all, but answer what you can :) Some are extremely easy, and some are a little more difficult...

1. Name 2 FF cars:Nissan nx2000, my car :-) vw bug
2. Name 2 FR cars: ford taurus, caddy sixteen
3. Name 2 MR cars: vauxhall vx220, ferrari 360
4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4 original vw bug, porsche 356, i can only think of those
5. Name 1 car with a front-mounted flat-6 m3....
6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8 ferrari 360, ford gt40, ferrari 355
7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12 lambo murcie
8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle) mazda rx8, rx7? maybe a vw?
9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle no idea
10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheelsariel atom, maybe a go kart

Egg Nog
02-07-2004, 09:18 PM
1. Name 2 FF cars:Nissan nx2000, my car :-) vw bug
2. Name 2 FR cars: ford taurus, caddy sixteen
3. Name 2 MR cars: vauxhall vx220, ferrari 360
4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4 original vw bug, porsche 356, i can only think of those
5. Name 1 car with a front-mounted flat-6 m3....
6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8 ferrari 360, ford gt40, ferrari 355
7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12 lambo murcie
8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle) mazda rx8, rx7? maybe a vw?
9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle no idea
10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheelsariel atom, maybe a go kart

1. Both are correct.
2. The Sixteen is correct, but the Taurus is FWD.
3. Both are correct.
4. Those two are correct, but we need another :)
5. Nope, the M3 has an inline-6.
6. All three are correct.
7. Nope, the Murcielago has a V12.
8. The RX-8 and RX-7 are correct, but we need another.
10. Nope... this was kind of a trick question ;)

Egg Nog
02-07-2004, 09:19 PM
So, nat0_turbo got a few of 'em done... let's finish up the rest :)

Still to go:

b]8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle)[/b]
b]10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheels[/b]

Egg Nog
02-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Aww c'mon guys.... I know there's a few trivia buffs out there that would like to tackle at least a couple more of these!

Smokescreen
02-09-2004, 03:12 PM
2. Name 2 FR cars:Mustang GT, Camaro SS
7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12Ferrari Berlineta (sp?) Boxer
8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle)TVR Speed 12, Viper GTS(?)
9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Toyota Supra
10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheelsAWD? Murcielago, TommyKaira ZZII, Gallardo, Bugatti Veyron, Porsche 959

Egg Nog
02-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Sweet, getting close!

Still four more remaining: (Remember, you must answer all of them)

Burrito
02-10-2004, 02:08 AM
front mounted flat six : Opel Senator 3.0i and any BMW with over 2 ltr engine
front mounted "mid engine" : Donkervoort D8, Caterham Seven, Lotus SuperSeven (kinda cheating since they are simular cars)

DasModell
02-10-2004, 04:35 PM
rear mounted flat 4 ... a lot of porsches ..
356B :)
356 Abarth :)

mid mounted Flat 12
Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512 BB

Egg Nog
02-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Well, you guys got three more, which only leaves one remaining. :) Burrito, the Opel Senator and the BMW's have a V6 up front, rather than a flat six.

So: There's only one car I can think of with a front-mounted Flat-6. What is it?

(No, it's not a 911 driving backwards :p)

Burrito
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry mate, the senator has a line engine (there has been a V6 version, but trust me on the line engine, my bro has one).... you could be right about the bmw though.... let me check...

edit:

or do you mean by flat a boxer?
that's a Subaru Outback

Doza
02-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Well, you guys got three more, which only leaves one remaining. :) Burrito, the Opel Senator and the BMW's have a V6 up front, rather than a flat six.

So: There's only one car I can think of with a front-mounted Flat-6. What is it?

(No, it's not a 911 driving backwards :p)

Jaguar Mark II?

Matra et Alpine
02-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Subaru wedge in the 1980s had a 6 cylinder version of their normal 4 to get some decent performance !
had to use www to get the model though - the XT6 and it was the mid-late 80s :)

Egg Nog
02-10-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry mate, the senator has a line engine (there has been a V6 version, but trust me on the line engine, my bro has one).... you could be right about the bmw though.... let me check...

edit:

or do you mean by flat a boxer?
that's a Subaru Outback

Sorry about the Opel Senator information. We don't get Opels in Canada, so unfortunately I have a fairly limited knowledge. I searched "Opel Senator V6" on Google on the basis of a hunch, and one of the first site mentioned a V6 Senator. So that's where that information is from, but I'm sure you're right regardless. :)

Anyway, it occurs to me that there's actually a host of Subarus that have a flat-six up front. A couple of you got some right answers :)

Possibilities are: Subaru XT6, Subaru Outback H6, and (the one I was thinking of) the Subaru SVX.

The SVX never sold very well, probably because they never even had a TV ad for it, and also because it was only ever available with some odd automatic-ish gearbox. A friend of mine's Dad owned (or maybe still owns) one of the only ones I've ever seen. Pretty comfortable and fairly fast; it's a shame they sold so few of them :(

jameswithington
02-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Subaru wedge in the 1980s had a 6 cylinder version of their normal 4 to get some decent performance !
had to use www to get the model though - the XT6 and it was the mid-late 80s :)

I also think that the very latest Subaru Legacy estate can come with a front-mounted flat-six in top of the range guise. In the UK it does anyway, couldn't really say about anywhere else.

Also, on the subject of the whole "front/mid-engined" thing, the big sportscar companies (Ferrari, Aston, Mercedes-McLaren) are coming out with all the spiel about how clever they are by using this apparently revolutionary layout. However, it isn't new or revolutionary in the slightest. Every TVR ever made has been front-mid engine, rear wheel drive. Also virtually every sportscar and racing car of the 10s 20s 30s and 40s was layed out like this. It's just common sense really, makes you wonder why anyone ever bothered sticking the engine on top of the front axle at all! :)

Burrito
02-11-2004, 05:40 AM
I also think that the very latest Subaru Legacy estate can come with a front-mounted flat-six in top of the range guise. In the UK it does anyway, couldn't really say about anywhere else.

nope.... only the outback as far as the normal cars are concurned, I checked it on the subaru webbie

Wouter Melissen
02-11-2004, 06:04 AM
nope.... only the outback as far as the normal cars are concurned, I checked it on the subaru webbie

They are wrong: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1740

henk4
02-14-2004, 09:06 AM
I missed a question about a rear mounted V8? Any guesses by anybody?

Matra et Alpine
02-14-2004, 11:15 AM
I missed a question about a rear mounted V8? Any guesses by anybody?Tatra T87 and T603, later models still had V8s but were more mid-engined.

henk4
02-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Tatra T87 and T603, later models still had V8s but were more mid-engined.

Correct, I just wanted to confuse the non-european members of the forum ;)

Egg Nog
02-14-2004, 05:35 PM
I missed a question about a rear mounted V8? Any guesses by anybody?

There was no such question :)

There've been a few 911 V8 conversions, though...

DasModell
02-19-2004, 04:27 AM
Correct, I just wanted to confuse the non-european members of the forum ;)

double lol
a couple of photos of a little more modern Tatra

Misho
02-19-2004, 08:16 AM
i beleive the third car for question 8 could be the Mercedes SLR.

eggnog ??

Egg Nog
02-19-2004, 10:44 AM
i beleive the third car for question 8 could be the Mercedes SLR.

eggnog ??

This question was already answered, but it was one of the cars that I was thinking about :)

Ferrari F50
02-21-2004, 03:10 PM
1. Name 2 FF cars: Ford Taurus, Honda Accord
2. Name 2 FR cars: Lincoln Town Car, Infiniti G35
3. Name 2 MR cars: Toyota MR2, Acura NSX
4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4: Porsche 356, Porsche 550, VW Beetle
5. Name 1 car with a front-mounted flat-6: Subaru Legacy
6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8: Saleen S7, Ford GT, Ferrari 360
7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12: Ferrari 512BB, Ferrari 512TR
8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle): Honda S2000, Infiniti G35, Mazda RX8
9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle: Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry. (most FF cars have a transaxle)
10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheels: only the front wheels? Pontiac Fiero, old Toyota MR2, Fiat X1/9...what about the rears too? then the Porsche 959 and Porsche 911 Turbo can be included.

Matra et Alpine
02-21-2004, 03:26 PM
10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheels: only the front wheels? Pontiac Fiero, old Toyota MR2, Fiat X1/9...what about the rears too? then the Porsche 959 and Porsche 911 Turbo can be included.
Fiero, MR2 and X1/9 are all mid engine, REAR wheel drive.
It was the unique rear engine front wheel drive, the answers are all in.

Ferrari F50
02-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Fiero, MR2 and X1/9 are all mid engine, REAR wheel drive.
It was the unique rear engine front wheel drive, the answers are all in.

Hmm, I guess I was confused by the fact that at least one of those has a "FWD unit mounted midship".

Well, I dont think I can name any cars that have the engine in the rear and power only the front wheels.

But if I'm allowed to name rear-engined, AWD cars, then to the Porsche 959 and 911 Turbo I can add the 911 Carrera 4. But thats about it.

btw, I didn't read any of the replies before answering this quiz.

henk4
02-22-2004, 01:37 AM
9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle: Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry. (most FF cars have a transaxle)

There's also a misunderstanding here. Most FF cars have a transverse engine (not though Audi) but a transaxle means the engine in front and the gearbox in the rear dif. This means cars like the Alfa 75, Alfa 90 and the Ferrari Daytona.

Egg Nog
02-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Well, I dont think I can name any cars that have the engine in the rear and power only the front wheels.

Of course, you'll notice that I never said only ;)

Answers might include the Bugatti EB110, the Porsche Carrera 4, or the Porsche 959 :)

henk4
02-22-2004, 07:35 AM

Answers might include the Bugatti EB110, the Porsche Carrera 4, or the Porsche 959 :)

Eggnog, please, the EB110 has a central engine, not a rear one.

Misho
02-22-2004, 07:43 AM
This question was already answered

i know, but i beleive only 2 of three required answers were given before my late attempt at the quiz !!

henk4
02-22-2004, 07:46 AM
i know, but i beleive only 2 of three required answers were given before my late attempt at the quiz !!

Hi just to answer your question you asked me earlier, I was not only in Cairo, but also in Ismaila. I will always remember the return trip to Cairo, when a truck loaded with oranges had toppled over and everybody stopped to collect the oranges, most likely not to return them to the owner!

Matra et Alpine
02-22-2004, 08:11 AM
There's also a misunderstanding here. Most FF cars have a transverse engine (not though Audi) but a transaxle means the engine in front and the gearbox in the rear dif. This means cars like the Alfa 75, Alfa 90 and the Ferrari Daytona.
I think transaxle meant any arrangement where the gearbox and diff were in one unit.
So most rear engine in-line cars have transaxles as the gearbox and diff are a seperate unit bolted to the block. I don't think it's usually referred to the transverse rear-engines as the box and diff share the oil system, so it's not truly a seperate unit. For me that's splitting hairs.
The transaxle as a compeltely seperate unit in some Portsche, Ferrari, Alfa with prop coming from engine to transaxle helps improve weight distribution.

henk4
02-22-2004, 08:21 AM
I think transaxle meant any arrangement where the gearbox and diff were in one unit.
So most rear engine in-line cars have transaxles as the gearbox and diff are a seperate unit bolted to the block. I don't think it's usually referred to the transverse rear-engines as the box and diff share the oil system, so it's not truly a seperate unit. For me that's splitting hairs.
The transaxle as a compeltely seperate unit in some Portsche, Ferrari, Alfa with prop coming from engine to transaxle helps improve weight distribution.

IMHO Transaxles are always part of a front engined/rear driven car, whereby the dif and the box are put together in the rear axle layout. For rear engined cars this is the obvious position, but then everything is put together as one unit.

Edit: just saw where I made the mistake, in stead of rear engine, I should have written rear driven. Sorry for causing the hairsplitting activities.

Egg Nog
02-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Eggnog, please, the EB110 has a central engine, not a rear one.

Sorry, I forgot what my original question was :rolleyes: :eek:

I was just thinking AWD :)

Man, can't believe I messed that one up :D

henk4
02-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Man, can't believe I messed that one up :D

If that's going to be your only mistake in life it should be OK ;)

Ferrari F50
02-23-2004, 02:43 AM

A transaxle does not have anything to do with the location of the engine. A transaxle is simply when the gearbox and the differential are the same unit. Since most FF cars have a transverse engine, most also have a transaxle to utilize the lack of space. :)

Ferrari F50
02-23-2004, 02:45 AM

I did in fact state those cars (minus the EB110 for reasons already discussed) in a subsequent post :D

DasModell
02-23-2004, 03:25 AM
1. Name 2 FF cars: Ford Taurus, Honda Accord
4. Name 3 cars with a rear-mounted flat-4: Porsche 356, Porsche 550, VW Beetle

550 is mid-engined i think :)

Matra et Alpine
02-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Since most FF cars have a transverse engine, most also have a transaxle to utilize the lack of space. :)
original Mini format engine/box/diff do NOT describe it as transaxle.
I was lead to believe that this is because it is NOT a 'seperate unit' as the gearbox and diff share the engine casing and oil.

I agree that a seperate gearbox/diff unit bolted to the engine in an FWD or AWD would be a transaxle eg Subaru front.

henk4
02-23-2004, 06:30 AM
original Mini format engine/box/diff do NOT describe it as transaxle.
I was lead to believe that this is because it is NOT a 'seperate unit' as the gearbox and diff share the engine casing and oil.

I agree that a seperate gearbox/diff unit bolted to the engine in an FWD or AWD would be a transaxle eg Subaru front.

IMHO a transaxle is the shortened version of transmission axle, which denotes the axle that connects the engine with the gearbox. In common literature your will note that the Daytona is being described as having a transaxle, i.e. engine in front and gearbox in the rear dif. The confusion may have been caused by using the interpretation "transverse" axle, which I think is wrong. The linking axle from the f.i. the Skyline's central gearbox to the front dif could also be called a transaxle.

Wouter Melissen
02-23-2004, 07:14 AM
As stated before, a transaxle is the name for a gearbox combined with a differential. These are most commonly used in front engined / rear driven cars. Another option is to have the gearbox bolted onto the engine. A transaxle is better for weight distribution.

henk4
02-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Another option is to have the gearbox bolted onto the engine.

That is the normal option for front engined/rear driven cars, but then the axle is called drive shaft and not transaxle. The transaxle runs with the revs of the engine, the drive shaft with the revs generated from the gearbox.

A transaxle is better for weight distribution. but gearshifting is more awkward due to the distance from the shifter.

NoOne
02-23-2004, 08:14 AM
It has been my understanding/misunderstanding(?) that a transaxle was a combined gearbox with a differential (as previously stated) as with Front engine/FWD cars, this does not apply to most front engine RWD where the gearbox and diff are 2 separate components connected via a driveshaft, 1 exception comes directly to mind is the Porsche 928 which had front engine RWD but the gearbox mounted in the rear making it a genuine front engine RWD transaxle set up.

henk4
02-23-2004, 09:20 AM
It has been my understanding/misunderstanding(?) that a transaxle was a combined gearbox with a differential (as previously stated) as with Front engine/FWD cars, this does not apply to most front engine RWD where the gearbox and diff are 2 separate components connected via a driveshaft, 1 exception comes directly to mind is the Porsche 928 which had front engine RWD but the gearbox mounted in the rear making it a genuine front engine RWD transaxle set up.just as the already mentioned Daytona and the Alfa 75.

Ferrari F50
02-23-2004, 05:22 PM
To clear things up a bit more for those that may not be so clear:

[from an automotive dictionary, not my words]

TRANSAXLE: A drive setup in which the transmission, clutch, final drive, and differential are combined into a single unit connected directly to the driveshaft.

REAR WHEEL DRIVE TRANSAXLE: A rear-wheel drive construction incorporating a transmission-differential unit placed between the rear wheels. The engine may be a front engine (as in most cars and all trucks), a mid-engine (as in some sports and racing cars), or a rear engine (as in some city cars, VW Beetle, the Porsche 911 series, and most buses).

Ferrari Tifosi
02-29-2004, 10:09 PM
2. Name 2 FR cars:Mustang GT, Camaro SS
7. Name 2 cars with a mid-mounted flat-12Ferrari Berlineta (sp?) Boxer
8. Name 3 front-mounted "mid-engine" cars (the engine's center of mass is behind the front axle)TVR Speed 12, Viper GTS(?)
9. Name 3 cars with a front-mounted engine and a transaxle Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Toyota Supra
10. Name 5 cars with a rear-or-mid-mounted engine that drives the front wheelsAWD? Murcielago, TommyKaira ZZII, Gallardo, Bugatti Veyron, Porsche 959

Mustang GT's, Camaro SS, and Supras, none of these cars have a transaxle.

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
b]3. Name 2 MR cars:[/b]
b]6. Name 3 cars with a mid-mounted V8[/b]

1. Civic, Accord (american only so ...), Mazda 3, Integra, RSX
2. RX7, AE86 Trueno not 86 not 92, S14, R34 GT-R (i know it's awd but it only sends to front wheels when there is slippage of rear tires during hard acceleration and cornering)
3. MR2, Mclaren F1 (i tihnk), Enzo Ferrari (might be RR but i think its MR)
4. Porshe Boxter?, 911 has rear mounted flat 6 i think
5. front moutn flat 6? dont know
6. oh man these are hard ... dont know any exact ones
7. argh eggnog i hate u !!! sooo hard
8. RX8 i know for sure but i think rx7 was on the axle not behind ... damn no more comes to mind
9. transaxle is what again? AHHH i think it's front wheel drive with a lsd but i cant be sure (that was totally random guess)
10. ... do any even exist?

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2004, 05:12 PM
10. ... do any even exist?
Damn, THIS is why we need to be able to close threads :)

Good try KnifeEdge, if you look back in the thread you'll find all the answers and can check for yourself how well you've done.

Please can we let this die ( and a 1000 other old threads :) )
NOT remove them , but just stop them coming up again and again !!