PDA

View Full Version : New 2006 BMW team signs Heidfeld

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah, thread title is confusing. But he corrently drives for williams. It is the NEW bmw team for 2006 :)

BMW have signed Nick Heidfeld to drive for their new F1 team on a three-year contract beginning in 2006.
The 28-year-old German currently races for Williams, who will part company with BMW at the end of this season.

The German manufacturer has bought the Sauber team, and Heidfeld is the new outfit's first driver signing.

Heidfeld was set to dropped by Williams who expect Jenson Button to join them for 2006, although the British star is reluctant to leave BAR-Honda.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said: "We are very pleased that Nick will be with us in what will undoubtedly be a difficult initial phase.

"He is not simply a fast and courageous driver, he is also an analytical and meticulous worker.

"Nick already knows the two sites in Munich and (Sauber's Swiss HQ) Hinwil, and is familiar with everybody involved."

Heidfeld, who is currently recovering from a broken shoulder suffered in a cycling accident: "I'm really looking forward to the future.

"As far as I'm concerned, this represents the fulfilment of a big dream.

"I've experienced at first hand (with Williams) the commitment and resources BMW puts into its F1 project.

"I'm not expecting a miracle during the first season after a new start in 2006, but I'm confident that the new team will be successful in the long term."

Heidfeld achieved his first F1 pole position in May at the Nürburgring, where he finished second, and took runner-up spot at Monaco.

BMW announced in June would be running its own F1 team from 2006 after acquiring a majority holding in Sauber.

It had been racing in F1 as partner of Williams since the 2000 season.

fpv_gtho
09-16-2005, 03:35 AM
Inevitable really, but at least it shows Williams desire to hold onto Button. But i dont want to turn this into a Buttongate thread. Good luck to Heidfeld though. Hopefully by his 3rd year at least he can challenge for wins

syko
09-16-2005, 06:12 AM
so if heidfeld is signed and they have button as well, where the hell is Webber going

fpv_gtho
09-16-2005, 06:17 AM
Heidfeld's signed to BMW's new team, now theyre split with Williams. Ideally it'll be Button and Webber there next year. If that falls apart, it could be Pizzonia or Rosberg taking Buttons place if he either stays at BAR or sits out the year. Webber "couldve" been out of a seat, but it wouldve been of his own choosing, as his contract had a clause over manufacturer support, something FW is adamant Buttons doesnt.

SlickHolden
09-21-2005, 02:59 PM
As said Webber can get a seat with Renault in 06, But i think he is the type of guy that doesn't walk away when there are tuff times ahead.
Good luck to Nick he is doing what's best for him.
Button to Williams??? Not sure he will like the no big engine name there.

fpv_gtho
09-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Well that was provided Fisichella wanted to move, and that rumour centred more around Flav wanting both his drivers under the 1 roof, and he was unhappy with Fisi's performances compared to Alonso's.

SlickHolden
09-22-2005, 01:41 AM
And he really did drop it off after Melbourne.
The crash with Webber done some damage also. But i think he still is a good driver and fast maybe he's just not what they want might be between the ears with him?

Zytek_Fan
09-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Williams is screwed now since Hewlett Packard (HP) pulled the plug.

Matra et Alpine
09-24-2005, 05:19 AM
Williams is screwed now since Hewlett Packard (HP) pulled the plug.
Why ? have you seen who RBS is going with ?

All teams face the need to find new sponsors regularly, so this is just another one. Given their company "challenges" I suspect we won't see them sponsor anyone for a few years :(

EVERY team it depends on who they find and remember with the budgets dropping they don't need as many or big :) Also Briatore has shown you can run a winning team with 1/3rd of the staff of the rest of them. So Williams may adopt a slimmer-team approach.

SlickHolden
09-24-2005, 09:22 AM
They will find something thet are to big to lose out bad.

Zytek_Fan
09-25-2005, 01:53 PM
There rumors that Jacques Villenueve will be the second driver for BMW