PDA

View Full Version : Hosting

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi,

I am looking for hosting for videos. I dont want something like yousendit with a download limit, I would prefer it ti be FTP based. I also do not want to pay money, because i am skint already!

It would hold quite a lot, the website is about biking, and the videos vart. Today, for instance, i took 178MB of videos split into about 50 files.

I currently have FTP space courtesyof a good mate, but is limited to 800MB. Which is nearly all used.

Help!

pimento
09-16-2005, 11:08 AM
If you have a static IP you can host it from your computer easily enough, windows has an inbuilt thing for that if you have XP. Even if you don't have a static one you can just keep giving people different address to connect to. Search for IIS (or Internet Information Services or something) at microsoft.com.

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Does your computer not have to be on all the time to do that?

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 11:35 AM
You'd need to check your T&Cs with AOL.
Some don't like you hosting on home PCs.
Yes, it means you have to have the computer on AND connected 24/7

How have you encoded the videos you're hosting ?
Over the last couple of years, compression algorithms have got a lot better and you could possibly recover 25% of that space and perhaps even 50% !!!

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
How do you know i have AOL? :p Never have the computer on 24/7, so that option is out the window.

Video compression? ermm.... i just talke it straight off the camera. Average i would say is a 5 second video is about 1.7-1.8MB. Compression, i know what it means but Video compression? explain...

The videos are not great quality, best quality is at 320x160, but you can still view it at 640x480. The size of the files really depends where i stand. You can tell by some videos are 3 seconds long, and are 1.5mb. Others can be 3 seconds long, and can be nearly 2mb. Have a look at the times and szes of the videos. www.ttk-clan.net/adam/multimedia/videos

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 12:03 PM
How do you know i have AOL? :p
vee haff vays :)

Video compression? ermm.... i just talke it straight off the camera. Average i would say is a 5 second video is about 1.7-1.8MB. Compression, i know what it means but Video compression? explain...
What camera ? What format ?? I'll have a look at the one's you've got.
If you've got windows XP then the included MovieMaker can make wmv files which may significantly reduce the size !!
You could also download one of the many divx encoders.
Or bink&smacker RAD Video Tool which is free.
Video compression is similar to image compression in jpeg files.
Complex but it's all done for you :)

EDIT: Done one :D See attached. It's 1/3 the size of the original. Si you could get 3 times the video i nyour friends space :) I'll leave you to see if you can spot the difference !!! That was done with RAD Video ( needed the extra setp because the format isnt' native to MovieMaker :( ) and MovieMaker so NO COSTS involved at all :D

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 12:06 PM
What camera ? What format ?? I'll have a look at the one's you've got.
If you've got windows XP then the included MovieMaker can make wmv files which may significantly reduce the size !!
You could also download one of the many divx encoders.
Or bink&smacker RAD Video Tool which is free.
Video compression is similar to image compression in jpeg files.
Complex but it's all done for you :)

Canera - Fujifilm Finepix A345

Format - .avi

I alwaus find that movie maker reduces quality dramaticallt and makes sound slower than video. And it always freezes :mad:

As you can see, i kind of know what i am doing...

Not!

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 12:12 PM
I alwaus find that movie maker reduces quality dramaticallt and makes sound slower than video. And it always freezes :mad:
Make sure you've got the latest MovieMaker and the latest codec set for Media Player - all available from MS site.

See vide now attached to earlier post :D

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Ermm... spot the difference? sound is a bit clearer, or maybe that is mt crap hearing. So just download RAD and run it through it, or do i still need to use dreaded moviemaker?

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Ermm... spot the difference? sound is a bit clearer, or maybe that is mt crap hearing. So just download RAD and run it through it, or do i still need to use dreaded moviemaker?
RAD doesn't have the WMV encoder in by default.
You can play with the ones it does have though and get close.
http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Sorry, i have been up for about 40 hours.. im absolutely shattered. So, is this it? i do the "rad" thing (downloading now) and then run it through moviemaker and save as a .wmv?

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Sorry, i have been up for about 40 hours.. im absolutely shattered. So, is this it? i do the "rad" thing (downloading now) and then run it through moviemaker and save as a .wmv?
40 hours ? Sheez what you been up to ???
There's not THAT much to do in Ayr :D

Yeah download RAD. Load the viedo and convert. Go for UNCOMPRESSED first. THEN take the output from RAD and put it in MM and then save as "best for this computer".

You can play with the other encoders in RAD at the pop-up where you select the compression. Not sure which ones they supply as standard and it will depend on whcih ones you've already got installed.

Good luck.

Kommercial
09-16-2005, 12:25 PM
x10 Hosting (http://www.x10hosting.com) is free cPanel hosting, which I use. As long as you have an ad on every page of your site, you get 2 GB's webspace and 45 GB's bandwidth free.

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Matra, where is uncompressed? and i take it you press "bink it"

I know. Ayr is a crappy place. Not much to do. Too much GT4 endorance races to complete. And i have been doing the site as well.

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Matra, where is uncompressed? and i take it you press "bink it"
No, sorry, I should have said it's the "convert a file" option.
The Bink and the Smack are two specific formats.

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Thank you. I am just going to get the final ones up, put the index.html up. Go to bed, and convert all the files. then download dreamweaver and ge the site up (hopefuly) tomorrow. Thank you so much matra, you solve most of my problems!

Thank you!!!

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Haha, guess what. Im stuck.

I select the file, and then click convert a file.

Then the title is at the top, and none of the other boxes are filled in. So i click convert. Then video compression box appears, and has a down arrow at compressors. There are lots of options to choose...What one do i choose?

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Full Frames (uncompressed) - as per original instructinos :)

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok, had a shot of that.. Original file - 2.47MB - New file - 46.3MB

That is without doing the moviemaker stuff

am i on the right lines?

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Ok, had a shot of that.. Original file - 2.47MB - New file - 46.3MB

That is without doing the moviemaker stuff

am i on the right lines?
yes, you had to take that intermediate step because the MM didnt' like your cameras .avi fomrat and corrupted it. ( or at least it did here :) )

Now load that intermediate file into MM adn save it as "best quality on my computer" and it'll all be good :)

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\Adam Fraser\Desktop\New_nathancrashestheshitter.avi could not be imported. The required codec was not downloaded automatically because the Download codecs automatically check box is not selected in the Options dialog box.

:confused: :confused:
After doing what it said -
The file C:\Documents and Settings\Adam Fraser\Desktop\New_nathancrashestheshitter.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

Restarted it, same message :confused:

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 02:42 PM
can you get me on either google talk on messenger
I t sounds like from the error that you aren't letting your system download the codec it needs :) Make sure it's set in the options.

adamfraser
09-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Ok, i have added you :)