PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo on PS2 vs. real life?

Smithman
09-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Just curious to those of you lucky enough to have had experience driving some nicer cars and have been able to get your hands on the Gran Turismo series on PS2--how does the handling in-game compare to the handling in real life? From what limited experience I have driving cars, it seems to me like it's at least on the right track, but I wonder how close it can really be.

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Miles away from the real world.

Partly because it lacks the immersion of physical g-forces you use to keep a car at the limit.

It also lacks the impact of body roll on handling so it is too easy to get it sideways and keep it there. To match the 'game' you'd have to setup a car with almost not suspension movent. It lacks the 'pitch' that cars have with the higher CoG.

Smithman
09-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Miles away from the real world.

Partly because it lacks the immersion of physical g-forces you use to keep a car at the limit.

It also lacks the impact of body roll on handling so it is too easy to get it sideways and keep it there. To match the 'game' you'd have to setup a car with almost not suspension movent. It lacks the 'pitch' that cars have with the higher CoG.

Aye, good point. Hadn't even thought of the fact that it's impossible to roll a car in that game. So much for my theories about cornering at 180 mph! :p

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Aye, good point. Hadn't even thought of the fact that it's impossible to roll a car in that game. So much for my theories about cornering at 180 mph! :p
I didnt' mean 'roll' in the sense of barrel :D
I meant body roll, which changes wheel camber and tyre contact and individual tyre grip levels
sorry :D

ZemoButts
09-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Forza Motersport is more realistic than GT4, since it has damage

The_Canuck
09-16-2005, 05:14 PM
yesh but the graphics are worse

my porsche
09-16-2005, 05:20 PM
much worse, and ive heard many things ARENT as realistic

CSL
09-16-2005, 11:01 PM

whoopdee do, damage is overrated

danno
09-16-2005, 11:25 PM

lol!

forza = very good fun multiplayer and physics are great.

GT4 = awesome because of the sheer depth

Cyco
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
To get the real experence you need one of these:Force Dynamics (http://www.force-dynamics.com/video.shtml)

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 11:52 PM
To get the real experence you need one of these:Force Dynamics (http://www.force-dynamics.com/video.shtml)
definately - http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14881&highlight=force+dynamics
nice to see the udpate in-car with the crash :)
If the g can upset the dv recorder I'd worry about extended use !! I've enough back adn sholder injuries from only an hours real life experience once ever few weeks/month without replicating it in the sim when "playing" :D

Cadillac Imaj
09-16-2005, 11:58 PM
enthusia matches the handling in real life.

Matra et Alpine
09-17-2005, 12:12 AM
enthusia matches the handling in real life.
not heard of it, a quick dip in gamespy turned up a VERY good comparative video.
It's close, MUCH closer than I've seen on the PS2.

Can;t link the video directly so go here --
http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/680/680537/vids_1.html

Not sure that wheel camber is changing and it's certainly not as dynamic which may suggest a simpler model.
The cynical view of that however is that the driver was ASKED to get the car to do the same as he had done on the real track. THAT's different from the car acting like real-world-physics :)

Worthy of a test though, I must try and find a copy :D

ZemoButts
09-17-2005, 10:04 AM
in GT4 when you hit a wall at 200mph you just bounce off, but forza you tumble over a few times

Jack_Bauer
09-17-2005, 10:53 AM
For me the big problem with realism in GT4 (apart from the damage of course) is the braking. There's just no real skill to it. You pick your braking point and just push the button/pull back on the stick as hard as you can and hey presto the car stops quickly and smoothly regardless of whether you're in a straight line or turning. Even ABS equipped cars in real life can't cope with with maximum brake force, large steering inputs and hitting kerbs/bumps etc without being unsettled. There also needs to be at least the option of driving with non-ABS brakes to call itself a proper driving simulator.

I appreciate that it would be very difficult to do non-ABS brakes on a game because you get no feel through the controller. I'm not sure which other games have attempted it but I know the most recent official F1 games make a reasonable attempt at it, and it certainly adds an extra level of skill into the game. :)

kennyknoxville
09-17-2005, 11:12 AM
grand theft auto is realistic on the other hand

Matra et Alpine
09-17-2005, 12:36 PM
in GT4 when you hit a wall at 200mph you just bounce off, but forza you tumble over a few times
in real life at 200mph you do neither of those :D

But I don't think the PS/Xbox having an interface to bludgeon you to death woudl be a big seller :(

syko
09-17-2005, 12:44 PM
grand theft auto is realistic on the other hand

especially when your doing drive-bys and picking up hoe's :D

Smithman
09-17-2005, 02:15 PM
But I don't think the PS/Xbox having an interface to bludgeon you to death woudl be a big seller :(

:D

You think? I don't know, you figure there's someone somewhere who would appreciate that.

Matra et Alpine
09-17-2005, 02:33 PM
:D

You think? I don't know, you figure there's someone somewhere who would appreciate that.
I know a few folks I'd give one to for Christmas :D

Smithman
09-17-2005, 02:42 PM
I know a few folks I'd give one to for Christmas :D

The possibilities are endless.

Of course, if they came up with that they'd have to come up with a system that actually shot you when playing GTA.

Matra et Alpine
09-17-2005, 02:46 PM
The possibilities are endless.

Of course, if they came up with that they'd have to come up with a system that actually shot you when playing GTA.
if only it had been around all those years of Leasure Suit Larry :D

Smithman
09-17-2005, 02:49 PM
if only it had been around all those years of Leasure Suit Larry :D

All those years? They released a new one last year! My fiancee bought it for me for my last birthday. It's on the PS2 and PC, though I hear the uncensored version is only on the PC. ;)

Matra et Alpine
09-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Showing my age, I had the ORIGINAL !!!
Man it was nearly 20 years ago.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1078073375-00.png

No windows shit, ran in DOS. You kids need to ask your grandads about DOS :)

Smithman
09-17-2005, 03:04 PM
LOL! I remember DOS. Barely. Though I grew up more of an Apple kid, so didn't have much experience with it. Dark Castle was more my style.

ZemoButts
09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
GTA is the worst game you can buy for your kids, im 18 and i play it but i dont understand why a few parents buy GTA for their 8 year old child. im old enough to know the difference between right and wrong but and 8 year old kid isnt.

Cyco
09-17-2005, 08:23 PM
For me the big problem with realism in GT4 (apart from the damage of course) is the braking. There's just no real skill to it. You pick your braking point and just push the button/pull back on the stick as hard as you can and hey presto the car stops quickly and smoothly regardless of whether you're in a straight line or turning. Even ABS equipped cars in real life can't cope with with maximum brake force, large steering inputs and hitting kerbs/bumps etc without being unsettled. There also needs to be at least the option of driving with non-ABS brakes to call itself a proper driving simulator.

I use the Logitec wheel/pedals and with those it is quite easy to lock the front wheels under braking and understeer off the road.

No windows shit, ran in DOS. You kids need to ask your grandads about DOS

Whenever I'm fighting XP I long for the days of DOS when the computer would just do what you told it to and not fight you.

Vintage_o
09-18-2005, 02:42 AM
GT4 is the best racing game and also the worst.
I mean, the graphics are trully behond everything I knew so far, and each car has it's own sound and behavior.
But, with all that advantages, they were trying too much.
When I first unlocked the Enduraces section, I found 3 races of 24 hours. I thought to myself "it's just the title, I remember the longest race on GT2, which was 2 hours. how is 24 hours are even mentaly, phisicly and technically possible?".
I was wrong, they were 24 hours races.
The only way you can get the Bentley Speed 8 EXP LM car (which is one of my facorites racers of all time), is winning the 24h LeMans race.
I tried B-Spec and 3x speed, I came back after 7 hours and the screen was black... my PS2 was dead :eek:
This is what you get when you trying too much. 2h race is possible, and you know what, maybe even 4h. but they crossed the limit and I paid.
Nothing can imitate real life than real life. that's what I learned. :rolleyes:

Mustang
09-18-2005, 02:50 AM
No windows shit, ran in DOS. You kids need to ask your grandads about DOS :)

are you implying something there old man ?

F1_Master
09-18-2005, 02:53 AM
And yet in both games, you can still drive away. :rolleyes:

Enthusia is closer to real life than those 2.

2ndclasscitizen
09-18-2005, 02:58 AM
I have Forza and having damage is good and bad. Its good cause it means you have to actually try and get past instead of just stragically hitting the car in front, do that in Forza and you'll just bust your steering. But the bad things is that the AI has been programmed with the principle of racing room, so outbraking another car will often end up with them taking you out. Also often the ABS comes on when you only just touch a brake, even in the P1 class cars

Mustang
09-18-2005, 03:03 AM
Toca!

2ndclasscitizen
09-18-2005, 03:10 AM
Na, Burnout 3

ZemoButts
09-18-2005, 10:16 AM
burnout 3 is pretty real in the way you crash and stuff

Smithman
09-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Am I thinking of a different game, or can you not turn damage on as an option in Gran Turismo? I'm almost positive it was at least an option in 1, 2 and 3.

kennyknoxville
09-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Am I thinking of a different game, or can you not turn damage on as an option in Gran Turismo? I'm almost positive it was at least an option in 1, 2 and 3.
i think theres an option in the first two for tire damage. but nothing cosmetic

Smithman
09-19-2005, 08:39 AM
i think theres an option in the first two for tire damage. but nothing cosmetic

I coulda sworn there was. Maybe it was just in the "arcade mode" 1v1 part? Now I'll have to go sift through my old games at home and fire em all up just to convince myself I'm not totally out of my head. :p