PDA

View Full Version : Next gen gaming is gonna rock so hard.

HrodHerich
09-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Revolution controller:

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf2=y&gID=4&fID=0&tID=55104&mID=1589878&l=d

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf2=y&gID=4&fID=0&tID=55104&mID=1589878&l=c

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?vpf2=y&gID=4&fID=0&tID=55104&mID=1589878&l=b

http://cubemovies.ign.com/cube/video/article/651/651334/revolutiontrailer_091605_qtlow.mov

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15143-2567-x-x-x&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_read

http://video.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/44/443/443527/popup.html

MGS4, amazing. Enjoy:

http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1743

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/screenindex.html

Ninety Nine Nights trailer:

http://wm.microsoft.com/ms/xbox/video/jp-n3/jpn3-0001.wmv
http://wm.microsoft.com/ms/xbox/video/jp-n3/jpn3-0001.wmv

Following an XBOX360 down the assembly line: http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=20I02SFSBHX5R37MYLLSJYDCGO

All of this is a summary of a thread from supercars.net (http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=4&fID=0&tID=55104).
All the credit to those guys, I'm just spreading the awesomeness. And doing justice to the revolution controller, cus the other thread about it is incomplete.

Wolf03
09-16-2005, 03:20 PM
That Revolution controller is so stupid. Nintendo going down the drain and Sony will rule the next gen market. Don't buy X360 people, do't waste your money, wait for the real deal to come out early next year.

Vaigra
09-16-2005, 03:33 PM
depending on what games the Nintendo will have on launch and what will be in the pipe-lines I might go for it and the get the PS3 later on for the usual games..GT5, GTA etc.

Kommercial
09-16-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm suprised SCN is running. They go down literally every other day.

But, back on topic, from the pictures given, the next generation of gaming doesn't look so hot. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the XBOX 360, which I won't play anyway, because I'm a PC gamer, not console.

Esperante
09-16-2005, 04:12 PM
The Revolution controller is ridiculous.

ZemoButts
09-16-2005, 04:36 PM
the controller looks like a remote control!!! with half a joystick attached to it !!!

BUT it does have alot of functions

Zytek_Fan
09-16-2005, 04:55 PM
People get the Xbox 360 it'll be worth it. It has 3 times the memory and processing speed of the Playstation 3 and the games for it are awesome look at the information on Elderscrolls IV:Oblivion it's gonna be awesome.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

Kommercial
09-16-2005, 05:08 PM
People get the Xbox 360 it'll be worth it. It has 3 times the memory and processing speed of the Playstation 3 and the games for it are awesome look at the information on Elderscrolls IV:Oblivion it's gonna be awesome.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

The specifications for the PS3 haven't been confirmed. That's why they've stated they're waiting til Microsoft launches, before they confirm anything.

clutch-monkey
09-16-2005, 05:31 PM
i love it how people are knocking the nintendo controller already.. without even trying it. its like me saying the enzo is crap to drive because its ugly.

Esperante
09-16-2005, 05:35 PM
i love it how people are knocking the nintendo controller already.. without even trying it. its like me saying the enzo is crap to drive because its ugly.
No it's not. I'm saying the controller has stupid ergonomics. Not only do you have more control over a thumbstick when your other hand is gripping the same device, but the right hand has waaaay too many functions. You'll essentially be controlling two buttons with your left hand, 10 with your right. It's stoopid. It's actually more like saying a Yugo is crap because you've seen the chassis, suspension and engine.

HrodHerich
09-16-2005, 05:42 PM
This is not getting the reactions I expected, thats for sure.

kennyknoxville
09-16-2005, 07:12 PM
i wont say anything till ive tried it. it could turn out to be a big hit. all i can say about it is its totally radical which means it can either revolutionize gaming, or turn out to be junk

ZemoButts
09-16-2005, 07:33 PM
i wont say anything till ive tried it.

havent you ever used a remote control before

Juggs
09-16-2005, 07:59 PM
so lets say you end up picking up the revolution and cant afford any of the other next gen consoles. your telling me you'd wanna play all the good games (sports games, first person shooters, fighting games, ect) with that stupid revolution controller as opposed to a regular controler? i dont think so...that will suck. it will be good for a couple innovative first party games im sure but other than that its stupid. nintendo will prob find that out the hard way and have to release a normal controller later on...but by then it will be to late. nintendo has a bad habit of doing things differently and it always backfires on them. ever since the n64 they have been making poor choices. the n64 was cool when it first came out for like 2 seconds and then everybody realized the games were overpriced, cartridges suck, and so did the graphics cuz the cartriges didnt have enough memory. then the gamecube came out and the controller was funky and they used a different format than a regular system and once again it made it hard to play a lot of games and the gamecube went into a slump. then they came out with the DS...a portable device with 2 screens and one of them is a touch screen...once again stupid...just a dumb gimmick that game makers have to figure out a dumb way to use it just so they can say they utilized it and that sucks too and the PSP just blew it away. and now this...nintendo...you need to stop thinking so far outside the box...its just not going to work...first party software can't keep you alive forever.

kennyknoxville
09-16-2005, 08:02 PM
havent you ever used a remote control before
yea, but i have a feeling its going to be a little more complex than working a remote control

ZemoButts
09-16-2005, 09:21 PM
yea, but i have a feeling its going to be a little more complex than working a remote control

yea its really hard to press buttons :p

Rockefella
09-16-2005, 09:26 PM
This thread's like an infomercial. I find it stupid.

danno
09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
yea its really hard to press buttons :p

you get tilt sensors as well as motion sensors in the control.

it looks very cool but it could turn out to be just a novelty, and third partys will release standard controllers.

Im getting and xbox360 for sure, after seeing some of the games for it, and i might get a ps3 when it comes out. we havent really seen anything yet in terms of gameplay from ps3 so far. its all been CGI pre-renderd crap so far.

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 11:07 PM
No it's not. I'm saying the controller has stupid ergonomics. Not only do you have more control over a thumbstick when your other hand is gripping the same device, but the right hand has waaaay too many functions. You'll essentially be controlling two buttons with your left hand, 10 with your right. It's stoopid. It's actually more like saying a Yugo is crap because you've seen the chassis, suspension and engine.
erm as it uses motion sensors then it actually is MORE ergonomic than thumbsticks. We have spent hundreds of thousands of years using our arms and hands to direct things and only 30 years using thumbsticks :)

IF they have the sensitiviy right it's much more natural. We'll need to wait and see and how the games support it. BUT on the surface it coudl be WAY much better than pads.

The right hand has no more control inputs than befor enad arguably less as it uses our natural body functions for roll/pitch/yaw rather than the false double joysticks of a pad. They also have the odd hat/analogue add-on to give the left hand something to do.

I see you say "buttons" so maybe it's the difference between using analog and digital direction controls. I've never liked those as they lack finesse. Analog is best and here's a simple test.... next time you see anything moving - a fly, a plane, a car going past - point at it with your finger adn hand extended. See how natural it is to follow the objost and how your hand naturally rolls, pitches and yaws ? THAT is what they are tapping in to with the concept. Millenia of evolution :D

kennyknoxville
09-17-2005, 03:43 PM
does anyone remember the commercial for ps8? the little pods that go up your nose? that was cool

2ndclasscitizen
09-18-2005, 03:29 AM
I reckon it'll make 1st/3rd shooters awesome play, they suck balls with a thumbstick. I want a 360 but Oz has to wait until to some time next year and then i need the money to buy it and a game

syko
09-18-2005, 01:34 PM
The thumb stick isn't the only attachment the controller has. I think its a good idea because they can have multiple controllers from the one base interface and so depending on the game they can have the controller suit the game instead of compromising on the gameplay with one controller.

Matra et Alpine
09-18-2005, 01:39 PM
ah, clever, with positino sensors the pad coudl work like a wheel.
It was very natural with the Sidewinder one to jsut spin it in the air and to tilt it fwd to go and back to stop :D

They could be onto something with this as you could imagine guns etc it would sit in to. Would make swapping weapons in FPS'ers more interesting :D
A great idea for multiple input devices to suit the games with minimal extra cost.
Looking around my desk I've 6 input devices all with electronics and cables I've paid for !!

Mustang
09-18-2005, 01:40 PM
hehe saw the nintendo controller the other day it is the most useless piece of shit ever, it was said to be a one handed controller yet you stll need to use both hands to play games... Haha

kennyknoxville
09-18-2005, 01:42 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=130038
just affirms my fears and suspicions that its just a gimmick.
another thing that sucks about it is youre going to have to put batteries in it.

Matra et Alpine
09-18-2005, 01:49 PM
another thing that sucks about it is youre going to have to put batteries in it.
You sure ?
It could be rechargeable and with moden batteries could run for days :D

I thought it was only the British who knocked things down as they strive for improvement !!!!

Jack_Bauer
09-18-2005, 02:10 PM
just affirms my fears and suspicions that its just a gimmick.

I believe that picture is just a mock-up/chop done by IGN (http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html) , it's not actually part of the official Nintendo press release. Personally I think it's a great idea though. Console controllers have effectively just been 'variations on a theme' since the time of the NES, I think it's good to see some genuine innovation at last! Plus I think Nintendo have always had the most ergonomic and natural-feeling controllers, certainly for the last couple of generations (spoken like a true N64 and GameCube officianado! :p); I see no reason why they shouldn't carry on their good form! :)

Nintendo has not yet released official imagery of what the controller shell might look like. However, we've created a mock-up (above) based on what we know of its functionality. The real controller shell is likely to connect to the free-hand-style pointer in a very similar fashion. Please note that we realize our model is not entirely to scale, but this is the best we could do on short notice.

clutch-monkey
09-20-2005, 11:24 PM
found an article that gives the nintendo controller a fairly positive reveiw, also mentions that metroid prime was reconfigured for a short demo with the new cotroller and worked quite well. don't know how reliable/unbiased the source is though.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782
also found a funny comic on it:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/

Juggs
09-21-2005, 07:07 PM
i dont think you guys understand. no matter how good of an idea you think it is, no matter how much control you think it can give you, no matter how revolutionary (no pun intended) you think this controller is it all boils down to this simple fact: 3rd party developers are not going to make games for this system. thers no way their gonna try to reconfigure all their multi console games to work with this stupid controller. theres companies that already hate making games for the gamecube cuz of the lousy controller and now you give em this? goodbye 3rd parties. everybody knows 3rd party software is the key to a successful game system. 1st party cant keep you alive forever and any 3rd party games that do come out for it prob arent going to be enough to sway buyers into buying a revolution over a ps3 or xbox. also if they ever did come out with that add on controller like that place mocked up itd prob never sell. people never buy add ons and add ons you need to buy in order to play things really make buyers mad and so they dont buy them. nintendo needs to lay off the drugs

2ndclasscitizen
09-21-2005, 11:43 PM
i dont think you guys understand. no matter how good of an idea you think it is, no matter how much control you think it can give you, no matter how revolutionary (no pun intended) you think this controller is it all boils down to this simple fact: 3rd party developers are not going to make games for this system. thers no way their gonna try to reconfigure all their multi console games to work with this stupid controller. theres companies that already hate making games for the gamecube cuz of the lousy controller and now you give em this? goodbye 3rd parties. everybody knows 3rd party software is the key to a successful game system. 1st party cant keep you alive forever and any 3rd party games that do come out for it prob arent going to be enough to sway buyers into buying a revolution over a ps3 or xbox. also if they ever did come out with that add on controller like that place mocked up itd prob never sell. people never buy add ons and add ons you need to buy in order to play things really make buyers mad and so they dont buy them. nintendo needs to lay off the drugs

you clearly don't understand how much work goes into porting games across systems. Developers have to modify their software to work on different O/S's, even on console, different hardware, even porting between PS2 and XBOX requires changes to controller code. Also, the way the motion sensors would work is that when you for example tilt the controller forward, the controller works out what to send the console, the console translates this, and tells the game to make you lean/move/ whatever. i really doubt its that much more work. You're assuming a lot about a machine that is still a while away and that has ONLY JUST had its controller releasesd, what other details are available? It's ignorant thinking like this that will mean we'll be using thumbsticks forever, i reckon its a cool idea and look forward to having a cool when i get the chance

Juggs
09-22-2005, 04:42 PM
well 2ndclasscitizen if its not that big of a deal to change controllers from system to system (which you are right that they have to change them) then why are developers already pissed at the gamecube controller and why were they pissed at the n64 controller? it is a big deal and i gaurentee you 3rd party software will be almost non-existant on this new console.

matek
09-22-2005, 04:50 PM
they have anounced the spec for the ps3 at E3 in america its going to be running at a few terraflops and a dam site faster then the xbox, the grafix are also more superior.

me and my mate were suprised at the figures of the ps3 as its faster than any pc u could build yourself :o it gona be mentle!!!!!!!!!!!11

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 04:53 PM
EDIT: Realised by "system" you meant the console - oops :)
Anyway comments on concole were covered anywayu so I'll leave it :D
i dont think you guys understand. no matter how good of an idea you think it is, no matter how much control you think it can give you, no matter how revolutionary (no pun intended) you think this controller is it all boils down to this simple fact: 3rd party developers are not going to make games for this system. thers no way their gonna try to reconfigure all their multi console games to work with this stupid controller.
BUT WHY do you think they need to make any changes ?

It's position sensitive that's all.
It's just instead of having little levers under your thumbs the signal is generated by a Hall efect electronics.

I don't think you've grasped that all they've ACTUALLY done is repkace movign physical levers with detecting movement of the controller itself.

The MS Sidewinder one looked and acted exactly like an analog controller.

Their BIGGER problem will be nobody wants to make games for an odd-ball CONSOLE. Expect to see copies of this controller resurface for the PC and released for XBox and PS - eiether from Nintendo if they've been smart wnough to tie up the patent or by many of the alternative controller suppliers.

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 04:56 PM
they have anounced the spec for the ps3 at E3 in america its going to be running at a few terraflops and a dam site faster then the xbox, the grafix are also more superior.

me and my mate were suprised at the figures of the ps3 as its faster than any pc u could build yourself :o it gona be mentle!!!!!!!!!!!11
terraflops published by SOny mean nothing.

They were sayign the same about the PS2.
How much "faster" the hardware was than anyoen else.
Then the developers try to USE that speed and find they can't.
So a 2 cycle ensues while they learn to take advantage of the odd Sony environment and I bet they're doign the same again.
DirectX is where MS has them stymied for a games developer getting close to maximum from the hardward on day one.

matek
09-22-2005, 04:57 PM
for some reason i always asosiated nintendo with children as u got all the marios sonics zeldas and the other cuddly games. u do get the odd ones that every console has, so dont worry only little kiddies are gona be playing that he he

pc's u have GTR racing

xbox forza racing/project gotham

ps3 gt5/ toca

targa
09-22-2005, 05:49 PM
does anyone else find it a bit funny that the Revolution is all straight lines and planes?

and I too do not like the controller for it.....

2ndclasscitizen
09-22-2005, 06:04 PM
well 2ndclasscitizen if its not that big of a deal to change controllers from system to system (which you are right that they have to change them) then why are developers already pissed at the gamecube controller and why were they pissed at the n64 controller? it is a big deal and i gaurentee you 3rd party software will be almost non-existant on this new console.
i haven't heard about that, but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say because it's shite, they are really no different to an XBOX or PS2 controller. Can you imagine what would have happened if Rockstar went, "Na, we don't like the XBOX controller so we ain't gonna port GTA:SA"?

Juggs
09-22-2005, 06:09 PM
EDIT: Realised by "system" you meant the console - oops :)
Anyway comments on concole were covered anywayu so I'll leave it :D
BUT WHY do you think they need to make any changes ?

It's position sensitive that's all.
It's just instead of having little levers under your thumbs the signal is generated by a Hall efect electronics.

I don't think you've grasped that all they've ACTUALLY done is repkace movign physical levers with detecting movement of the controller itself.

The MS Sidewinder one looked and acted exactly like an analog controller.

Their BIGGER problem will be nobody wants to make games for an odd-ball CONSOLE. Expect to see copies of this controller resurface for the PC and released for XBox and PS - eiether from Nintendo if they've been smart wnough to tie up the patent or by many of the alternative controller suppliers.

ah matra my first formal (i believe at least) debate with you. i am honored.
i have in fact grasped the fact that they have swapped button presses for movement but the problem with that is that interepting a movement is so much harder than interpreting a button press. lets say...hypoothetically you are playing a fighting game where you have to press on a regular controller down back then forward and a button. now on a regular controller this is easy to program because your either pressing the button or your not (in the case of digital buttons and d-pads, analouge (SP) buttons will also know how hard or in the case of sticks your pressing but still it is reletiveley simple to know when you are pressing right and when you are pressing a button. now go to the revolution controller. you have three axis' (Z, Y, X) to worry about and not only that you are moving in open space so it is hard to say what exactly is left and what is diagonal up and to the left and so on if you know what i am trying to say. so they will have to program the amount of degrees on what is considered what not to mention reconfigure an entire control scheme to move in open space which will require tons of math and extra time. the simple fact of the matter is most 3rd party devolopers arent going to want to deal with that, and i am willing to bet almost anything that very few multi console games will be ported to the revolution because of that fact. nintendo will prob ably hire a few exclusive 3rd party developers but just as in the past (look at the n64 and gamecube) most games will either be lackluster or lose sales to more popular games. no doubt nintendo will come out with some amazing 1st party software for the system but i doubt it will be enough to swing hardcore gamers into buying the revolution over another system. not to mention the system is not nearly as powerful as the ps3 or the xbox 360 but thats a whole nother argument.

Juggs
09-22-2005, 06:11 PM
i haven't heard about that, but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say because it's shite, they are really no different to an XBOX or PS2 controller. Can you imagine what would have happened if Rockstar went, "Na, we don't like the XBOX controller so we ain't gonna port GTA:SA"?

yeah i can imagine what would have happened. a few xbox owners would be pissed off...and rockstar would still be busy counting the profits from the ps2 release. why do you think theres no gamecube GTA?

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 06:26 PM
ah matra my first formal (i believe at least) debate with you. i am honored.
i have in fact grasped the fact that they have swapped button presses for movement but the problem with that is that interepting a movement is so much harder than interpreting a button press. lets say...hypoothetically you are playing a fighting game where you have to press on a regular controller down back then forward and a button. now on a regular controller this is easy to program because your either pressing the button or your not (in the case of digital buttons and d-pads, analouge (SP) buttons will also know how hard or in the case of sticks your pressing but still it is reletiveley simple to know when you are pressing right and when you are pressing a button. now go to the revolution controller. you have three axis' (Z, Y, X) to worry about and not only that you are moving in open space so it is hard to say what exactly is left and what is diagonal up and to the left and so on if you know what i am trying to say. so they will have to program the amount of degrees on what is considered what not to mention reconfigure an entire control scheme to move in open space which will require tons of math and extra time. the simple fact of the matter is most 3rd party devolopers arent going to want to deal with that, and i am willing to bet almost anything that very few multi console games will be ported to the revolution because of that fact. nintendo will prob ably hire a few exclusive 3rd party developers but just as in the past (look at the n64 and gamecube) most games will either be lackluster or lose sales to more popular games. no doubt nintendo will come out with some amazing 1st party software for the system but i doubt it will be enough to swing hardcore gamers into buying the revolution over another system. not to mention the system is not nearly as powerful as the ps3 or the xbox 360 but thats a whole nother argument.
Lets go through the "typical" controller use.

racing ...
the right stick controls steering and the left stick controls speed and brake
with a motion sensor you twist it right to turn right you point it forward to accelreate and pull back to brake. On bike racign it's actually VERY similar to the real world :)

flight ....(simple)
same as R/C.
Right stick does rudder and aileron
left stick does throttle
with a motion sensor you point it how you want the plane to pitch and turn
plug-in woudl provide throttle ( or is the finger button analog ? )

flight ...(complex)
same as R/C
as above but additional joystick movement is control for ailerons
with a motion sensor you point it how you want the plane to pitch, turn AND yaw

OR in the flight you use the motion controller like a joystick. THe plug-in as the throttle and pedals.

fighting ...
analog stick moving the person and BUTTONS to pick thrust, parry, stab, slash etc
with a motion sensor you mvoe as if you were holding the weapon.
( This is one area where it MAY have a weakness BUT the technology coudl allow you to have one in each hand and now you only hold them in yoru hands and move yoru amrs/hands as you woudl with the "weapsons" and it mirrors it )

FPS ...
analog stick to aim and button to fire
with a motion sensor you just point it and press trigger to fire

WHere I think they missed out was in beign courageous enough to go the whole way for buttons. They coudl have placed buttons where the finger tips fall when gripping it and then the multiple button presses for 'moves' would be a lot easier. Suspect they didnt' do this as we wont all find the buttons in the right places :)

Any we've missed ??

deffenbaugh03
09-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I think the Nintendo Revolution is absoultely ingenious and I can't wait to buy one. When I first saw that I was going to be using a frickin t.v. remote to play my nintendo I was absolutely dissapointed. But honestly if you just read about you find out how truly amazing this thing is. Nintendo is the only innovative gaming company right now. MS and Sony are just getting faster and getting better graphics.

Edit: And as far as 3rd party developers go, I think many of them will start flocking to this revolutionary system. Besides, even if they had no 3rd party developers, Nintendo is an excellent game producer themselves i honestly think they're are the only company that could survive with only 1st party software. (wait is 1st party a real term? oh well)

2ndclasscitizen
09-22-2005, 09:51 PM
I can't imagine Rare stopping production of nintendo games

Juggs
09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
WHere I think they missed out was in beign courageous enough to go the whole way for buttons. They coudl have placed buttons where the finger tips fall when gripping it and then the multiple button presses for 'moves' would be a lot easier. Suspect they didnt' do this as we wont all find the buttons in the right places :)

Any we've missed ??

right there...i agree 100% if the controller had more buttons i think the concept would have been a much better concept and perhaps better recieved.

and i see your points on the breakdown you gave me, although i have to say there are very few flying games on console and theres certainly no complex ones. flight isnt a very popular genre for console gamers. perhaps this controller could fix that? but i still doubt it. but i digress...the point i am trying to make is yes all those things you said are very do-able but the problem is i still believe developers aren't going to want to have to go and change so much of the gameplay mechanics of their multi console games to work with this controller and thats whats going to hurt them the most. plus 3rd parties are going to be concentrating mainly on multi-platform games because thats where all the money is at, so if the revolution is left out in the cold on 3rd party support which i have a feeling it will be (don't get me wrong, there will be 3rd party software..just very little of it) it could (and most likely will) doom the system from the moment of its release.

Juggs
09-23-2005, 08:28 PM
I can't imagine Rare stopping production of nintendo games

rare is called rare because its rare that they come out with a good game. they haven't had an exceptional game since the n64 days. goldeneye is the n64's killer app and that was made by rare. other notable games by rare were diddy kong racing, and ummm thats prob it..maybe perfect dark although it was never very popular. almost all of rares games are cutesy (all of rares recent games) and personally i am sick of all the cutesy stuff for the nintendo systems. i dont have any faith at all in rare..so don't count on them to make the revolution not suck. oh and dont expect them to make another bond game either..they lost that liscense to EA games a long time ago and they'll never get it back and the last time they tried to make an FPS that wasnt based on james bond it failed miserably (perfect dark as i mentioned earlier...good game...just couldnt live up to goldeneye). unless rare has somethin crazy up their sleeve, which is highly highly unlikely, don't be counting on them.

TVR IS KING
09-23-2005, 08:43 PM
nintendo sucks...theyve turned into a brand with inferior systems (the gamecube cant even play dvd's OR CD's which even the ps1 could) and cartoon styled games. they live on mario and pokemon, because theyre all they have left thats exclusive. perfect dark was awesome, and a sequal is coming for xbox 360!!!!, too bad i prefer sony playstations.

clutch-monkey
09-23-2005, 09:02 PM
rare is called rare because its rare that they come out with a good game. they haven't had an exceptional game since the n64 days. goldeneye is the n64's killer app and that was made by rare. other notable games by rare were diddy kong racing, and ummm thats prob it..maybe perfect dark although it was never very popular. almost all of rares games are cutesy (all of rares recent games) and personally i am sick of all the cutesy stuff for the nintendo systems. i dont have any faith at all in rare..so don't count on them to make the revolution not suck. oh and dont expect them to make another bond game either..they lost that liscense to EA games a long time ago and they'll never get it back and the last time they tried to make an FPS that wasnt based on james bond it failed miserably (perfect dark as i mentioned earlier...good game...just couldnt live up to goldeneye). unless rare has somethin crazy up their sleeve, which is highly highly unlikely, don't be counting on them.
rare hasn't existed for some time now. they broke up - half formed "free radical", which produced the timesplitters series (awesome games!), the other half went to microsoft.

nintendo sucks...theyve turned into a brand with inferior systems (the gamecube cant even play dvd's OR CD's which even the ps1 could) and cartoon styled games. they live on mario and pokemon, because theyre all they have left thats exclusive. perfect dark was awesome, and a sequal is coming for xbox 360!!!!, too bad i prefer sony playstations.
if i wanted a dvd player i would have bought one... i'd rather pay less for a game system if it came without poor quality dvd systems like the PS2 and xbox.
nintendo has proven itself to be an excellent 1st party developer, with metroid prime, zelda etc and has been able to secure some awesome exclusives like resident evil. the problem is that they need more 3rd party support.
the gamecube is in no way inferior to the PS2 - which is a pig to program for, hence developers rarely reach full potential - it just lacks the volume of 3rd party games that appeal to the casual gamer, who usually can't see past the shiny graphics and hype to recognize a decent game.