PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi Seen as Top Three Car Manufacturers.

QuattroMan
09-16-2005, 08:33 PM
wow! finally we're doing something right..!

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/09/13/142815.html

The_Canuck
09-16-2005, 08:35 PM
oh you've got to be kidding me

QuattroMan
09-16-2005, 08:38 PM
oh you've got to be kidding me
kid you not... :)

Sweeney921
09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
go germany

IBrake4Rainbows
09-16-2005, 08:43 PM
This is Interesting, despite Mercedes Recent Quality Woes and BMW's questionable styling direction there still considered to be the best cars on the market. Thats really depressing. We've become a badge driven society.

Still, I'd like to see how many people they surveyed to see if it was a skewed poll. It's gotta be tough for those manufacturers who can't buy credibility.

The_Canuck
09-16-2005, 08:51 PM
its fixed i tells yah. i find those figures hard to belive

white devil
09-16-2005, 09:20 PM
its fixed i tells yah. i find those figures hard to belive
what about ferrari lamborghini AND PORSCHE ????

i beleive this is just a list not a professional list

or maybe affordable german cars
and i cant beleive MB is in front of BMW ..i think somthing is wrong with the list

QuattroMan
09-16-2005, 09:25 PM
This is Interesting, despite Mercedes Recent Quality Woes and BMW's questionable styling direction there still considered to be the best cars on the market. Thats really depressing. We've become a badge driven society.

Still, I'd like to see how many people they surveyed to see if it was a skewed poll. It's gotta be tough for those manufacturers who can't buy credibility.
You know I felt the same way,but what hell ill take it... :)

IBrake4Rainbows
09-16-2005, 09:29 PM
It's not a Popularity Contest :p

scottie300z
09-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah ferrari and porsche arent really made to serve that many different types of people. There really isnt a roomy ferrari or porsche is there? while these three automakes tend to be a jack of all trades.

Dino Scuderia
09-16-2005, 09:40 PM
The survey is about perception, not actual hard data regarding each cars quality say matched against Japanese car competition...so this survey means little or nothing IMO.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Public Perception is open to a variety of factors; this survey was taken at the Frankfurt Motor Show correct? Well these people might just have been past the BMW/Mercedes Stand (They are notorious for sticking mega bucks into their show stands) so they might stand up more than say the Alfa Romeo Stand, which relies on product.

It's a very hard thing to measure accurately, but if you do manage to get public perception right, you stand to make mega bucks off it.

my porsche
09-16-2005, 10:00 PM
mercedes RECENT quality woes? oh no no no, my friend, mercedes have sucked since the early-mid 90's :D my mom bought a new e430 in 1997, in around 2001 right after her warranty ended, over $15,000 in repairs :mad:

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2005, 11:13 PM
mercedes RECENT quality woes? oh no no no, my friend, mercedes have sucked since the early-mid 90's :D my mom bought a new e430 in 1997, in around 2001 right after her warranty ended, over $15,000 in repairs :mad:
we're talking STATISTICALLY m-P.
Individual cars fall to the vagaries of servicing, driving styles, owner treatment and Friday-builds.

Cadillac Imaj
09-16-2005, 11:14 PM
that's quite true to me.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-16-2005, 11:19 PM
LOL, Friday Builds :p

There is to be expected with every model range a few major duds, it just so happened M_P's Mum Picked one.

Granted, she didn't pick the most reliable E-Class range ever, but it's still better than some other cars.

A lot of the JD Power Surveys place a heavy emphasis on how the people "Felt" when dealing with Dealers and Servicing, you can have a terrible car that breaks down at the merest hint of bad weather, but if the dealer is one your on very friendly terms with, and the servicing is cheap, you are less likely to complain.

Mercedes Benz Built a brand image of reliability, class and sophistication, but cheapened it's product to appeal to a wider range of people. These new customers came into the experiance of owning a Mercedes Thinking in the same vein as those before them ; i'm buying into a quality car. when it didn't eventuate, in some cases it went the complete opposite direction, they felt cheated and very disappointed in their purchase.

Look at Skoda, same stuff as VW basically, but the dealers are excellent (So the surveys say) and the servicing is cheap, you get what you pay for, but your expectations are also a key factor in these surveys. Skoda buyers, more often than not, will have lower expectations of their car than a Mercedes Buyer.

<END ATTEMPT AT MAKING SENSE>.

Gal_TT
09-17-2005, 04:18 AM
I don't see a problem hear. Merc, BMW and Audi build very good cars IMO. I would just change the order a bit.

Vaigra
09-17-2005, 05:23 AM

I see you couldn't find anything bad to say about Audi :D;)

henk4
09-17-2005, 05:27 AM
the results of these surveys are largely depending on the way the questions were formulated.

kentuki
09-17-2005, 09:34 AM
w00t! go mercedes!

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 10:37 AM
The survey is about perception, not actual hard data regarding each cars quality say matched against Japanese car competition...so this survey means little or nothing IMO.
My understanding about Germans is that of,they really don't care much for Jap cars....you know why!? they [email protected] @ss cars....and please don't tell me how reliable they are...

henk4
09-17-2005, 10:57 AM
My understanding about Germans is that of,they really don't care much for Jap cars....you know why!? they [email protected] @ss cars....and please don't tell me how reliable they are...
Japanese cars have a 17% market share in Germany, and it is growing....

Niko_Fx
09-17-2005, 10:59 AM

Here's Mr. Q going at it again :) Gotta love your childish behavior!

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Japanese cars have a 17% market share in Germany, and it is growing....

I feel sorry for you guys...I really do... :)

henk4
09-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I feel sorry for you guys...I really do... :)

I am not in Germany.

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Here's Mr. Q going at it again :) Gotta love your childish behavior!

Heyyyy Niko!!! How are you bro?! you got to admit it Niko,99.9999% of Jap cars are boring, I just don't feel it,dose this make me a narrow minded? I don't know you tell me...I did work for Toyota,Honda,Ford and for GM,so I do have good reason why I feel the way I do..you know what doe? I do have to respect my fellow UCP members,some of you do have Jap cars..any way im at work @ "Audi" today and we are getting bz here,i got to sell some cars... LOL! :)

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
I am not in Germany.
Holland...that is close in-off :)

henk4
09-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Holland...that is close in-off :)

the market share of Japanese cars here is much greater :D
and we have a French, an Italian and a Japanese car in our household

Dino Scuderia
09-17-2005, 11:37 AM

The only German car I've ever owned was an Audi..bought it new...in the 4 years I owned it it cost me more in maintenance than any of the 6 or so Japanese cars I owned combined....so I can see why you want to avoid discussing reliability.

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 11:38 AM
the market share of Japanese cars here is much greater :D
and we have a French, an Italian and a Japanese car in our household
OH NO! stop it while you guys have the chance knowwwwww!!!!It's
an invasion I tell you,,,,,LOL!!

you were ok an till here :) [QUOTE=henk4]and we have a French, an Italian and a

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 11:40 AM
The only German car I've ever owned was an Audi..bought it new...in the 4 years I woned it it cost me more in maintenance than any of the 6 or so Japanese cars I owned combined....so I can see why you want to avoid discussing reliability.

what year is your Audi my good friend?

Dino Scuderia
09-17-2005, 11:42 AM
what year is your Audi my good friend?

1981 Audi Coupe 5 cyl.

henk4
09-17-2005, 11:43 AM
1981 Audi Coupe 5 cyl.

that is old, good friend :D

Dino Scuderia
09-17-2005, 11:50 AM
that is old, good friend :D

It wasn't when I bought it.
;)

But you know, I don't care whether it's 1981 or 2005..Japanese cars are still way more reliable that German cars....and there are boring cars from both countries.

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 11:51 AM
1981 Audi Coupe 5 cyl.

"DINO!DINO!DINO!!!!" come on,you dont want me to start on this one do you?it's to ezzzzz! :D lets see here! we are in year 2005 bro!... :)

Dino Scuderia
09-17-2005, 11:53 AM
"DINO!DINO!DINO!!!!" come on,you dont want me to start on this one do you?it's to ezzzzz! :D lets see here! we are in year 2005 bro!... :)

I'll repeat this in your post too.

But you know, I don't care whether it's 1981 or 2005..Japanese cars are still way more reliable that German cars....and there are boring cars from both countries.

Matra et Alpine
09-17-2005, 12:45 PM
There are LOTS of interesting Japaness cars much more so than any other manufacturer.

BUT you don't get to see them. Hell most of Eureop doesn't get the 'fun' ones as they only make them RHD.

Guess who gets to drive LOTS of "interesting, fun, quirky and occasionally FAST" Japanese cars whilst everyone else has to take the boring dross they make in LHD ??

Yep the Brits, Aussies and 'zealanders :)

One of my biggest grins was a weekend with a Honda Beat :D

Dino Scuderia
09-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Thankfully most car makers have improved their product over the years, even Audi.

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 01:15 PM
BUT you don't get to see them. :D
well if I don't see it don't drive it, :( then im going to judge what I drive and see... :)

Matra et Alpine
09-17-2005, 02:26 PM
well if I don't see it don't drive it, :( then im going to judge what I drive and see... :)
but yor judgement led you to say you felt sorry for us and yet you don't know the cars :)
You assumed that what you see is what we see.
That is the commonest and largest mistake consistently made here. You can't assuem that the cars you see in one market represent a manufacturer's capability. For example don't use the UK for price, the US for handling or Germany for standard fittings :)

QuattroMan
09-17-2005, 03:04 PM
but yor judgement led you to say you felt sorry for us and yet you don't know the cars :)
You assumed that what you see is what we see.
That is the commonest and largest mistake consistently made here. You can't assuem that the cars you see in one market represent a manufacturer's capability. For example don't use the UK for price, the US for handling or Germany for standard fittings :)
I see where your coming from Matra,but im a kind a guy has to feel the every bet of the car,Jap cars that we have here just don't do it..OK!ill give you one car Subaru STI,one car dose not justify for me,,,I tell you one thing doe, as long as there is European cars,no way in hell ill go with Jap cars. :)

spi-ti-tout
09-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Yep the Brits, Aussies and 'zealanders :)
And us :D

Mmmm.....NSX :)

The only German car I've ever owned was an Audi..bought it new...in the 4 years I owned it it cost me more in maintenance than any of the 6 or so Japanese cars I owned combined....so I can see why you want to avoid discussing reliability.
And just to add to that I'll say that my Toyota Corolla (yes, Jap!) is nearly 15 years old ('91), has been battered to HELL and back, being ignored of many changes and costs while still running, when we do maintain it its' not as expensive as a European car would have been to maintain, is a FWD, and STILL does 120kph @ 2600rpm and goes on countinous 50 kilometer journeys with not so much as a whine. The clutch is good and the whole thing is predicted to stay up to form for atleast another 6 years, then I'll just get a new one :D (saving up!)

Now THATS reliability :)