danno
09-17-2005, 01:44 AM
apparently they are. is this true?

drakkie
09-17-2005, 01:45 AM
wtf is Zeta ?

danno
09-17-2005, 01:50 AM
GMs rear drive platform. Holden was making it then they decided not to go worldwide with it so holden had to cut costs like crazy cause it was now only gonna be used for hte commodore and its variants, but now i heard they revived it which means any big rear drive car in the world that is under the GM brand will use the Zeta platform made by holden.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 02:30 AM
I think they won't be, whats the point of reviving a program they've killed with good reason?

Oh Wait, it's GM......:p

Zeta would be a good platform to have because the New Saab 9-5 and Next Commydore could use it. But by then it'll be outdated of course, I mean there not planning to update the 9-5 till 2007! By then it'll be truly ancient.

danno
09-17-2005, 02:43 AM
GM Reverses Decision to Ax Zeta Rear-Drive Platform

DETROIT — General Motors has revived the Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform for North America, six months after it chopped the program.

Jim Queen, GM's vice president of global engineering, told Automotive News a revised version of Zeta is back on track. Developed by Holden, GM's Australian division, the new Zeta platform — or "architecture" in GM-speak — will form the basis of the next-generation Pontiac Grand Prix and GTO; the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo; and a new version of the Camaro.

The cars could appear as early as next year — an indication of how advanced Zeta was before GM pulled the plug — though they are more likely to be 2009 or 2010 model-year cars. The revised Zeta program is being developed in GM's Australian engineering center.

What this means to you: The success of the Dodge Charger and the Ford Mustang has put pressure on GM to include some traditional American muscle in its U.S. range — so Zeta's back on track.

its true.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 02:55 AM
Thank god! Holden will be able to engineer a new Munro from the GTO!

But of course Mooney's in charge, so chances are this'll be another blown chance to go global.

God I love being a Pessimist :p

nota
09-17-2005, 03:12 AM
The success of the Dodge Charger and the Ford Mustang has put pressure on GM to include some traditional American muscle in its U.S. range

its true.
That GM is including some traditional Australian muscle in its US range might be even more true :p

And I wonder how much GM's reliance on thirsty truck & SUV sales and related high exposure to rising petrol prices is a factor in GM's rapid policy backflip on their original backflip

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 03:16 AM
If it's a Backflip on a Backflip, do they end up on their head or their ass?:p

And Nota, you're just full of logic and reason, aren't you? maybe they don't want to be left behind by the success of Muscle Cars. after all, the best they can do is a Bastardised Munro or a Front Wheel Drive Monte Carlo......

I wonder what they'll do if prices ease back.....

danno
09-17-2005, 03:19 AM
If it's a Backflip on a Backflip, do they end up on their head or their ass?:p

And Nota, you're just full of logic and reason, aren't you? maybe they don't want to be left behind by the success of Muscle Cars. after all, the best they can do is a Bastardised Munro or a Front Wheel Drive Monte Carlo......

im assuming you mean petrol prices.

They wont ease back. They will just keep going up. China will make sure of that by buying up as much oil as they can. The car economy is just getting started over there and will be huge.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Oil Prices have eased Significantly recently, where i was paying 1.45 a litre 10 cents has been shaved from the price.

it'll never go down to levels of yore, but it's still hell cheap in the US. Muscle cars are just cool, and GM wants to be seen as desirable.....

danno
09-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Oil Prices have eased Significantly recently, where i was paying 1.45 a litre 10 cents has been shaved from the price.

it'll never go down to levels of yore, but it's still hell cheap in the US. Muscle cars are just cool, and GM wants to be seen as desirable.....

its at least double the price in europe as it is in the US. If anything it will ease off there and go up in the US.

i highly doubt it will go below $1.30 here ever again.

nota
09-17-2005, 03:29 AM
If it's a Backflip on a Backflip, do they end up on their head or their ass? :p
Head in arse most likely result

My prediction

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 03:31 AM
It's the biggest incentive yet to buy a hybird, isn't it.....

And just when I got my License as well. :(

I don't know if it'll steady in some places and rise in others, i think it'll just rise all over the place, Governments won't be willing to give up their fuel excise (England particularly has a nasty one) and they certainly won't be absorbing the costs associated with a rise in prices.

The Petrol companies still have to make the same profit margins they did before the rise, so their not going to budge on their markup either......

so it's left once again to the consumer to buy at a price that the seller is wishing to place on their product, not a good state of affairs.

Still, theres always burning Cats to consider :p

nota
09-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Off topic but the increasingly frantic moaning in Oz re rampant petrol prices merely amuses, as my LPG Benz only requires $7 per 100km (I'm selling it for $2850 hint hint) :)

SMH's Drive had a recent feature on an English hydrogen powered moped, soon for sale. For fuel costs, their cited cost per mile for running this 'new age' gizmo in London was in fact less that for an LPG BA Falcon in Oz!

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 03:46 AM
I'd love a Mercedes, But How the Hell do I insure One :p

Talk to my Dad, he is the man with the Wallet.......

But Thats just shocking, a Hydrogen Moped that costs LESS per Mile than an LPG Falcon?

Hint Hint :p

fpv_gtho
09-17-2005, 04:00 AM
GM Reverses Decision to Ax Zeta Rear-Drive Platform

DETROIT — General Motors has revived the Zeta rear-wheel-drive platform for North America, six months after it chopped the program.

Jim Queen, GM's vice president of global engineering, told Automotive News a revised version of Zeta is back on track. Developed by Holden, GM's Australian division, the new Zeta platform — or "architecture" in GM-speak — will form the basis of the next-generation Pontiac Grand Prix and GTO; the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo; and a new version of the Camaro.

The cars could appear as early as next year — an indication of how advanced Zeta was before GM pulled the plug — though they are more likely to be 2009 or 2010 model-year cars. The revised Zeta program is being developed in GM's Australian engineering center.

What this means to you: The success of the Dodge Charger and the Ford Mustang has put pressure on GM to include some traditional American muscle in its U.S. range — so Zeta's back on track.

its true.

Unfortunately this still doesnt neccessarily confirm Monaro's future, as the cheap option would be to build them in the US alongside the new GTO's rather than here. If Holden can afford to, im sure they'll push to get it made alongside the rest of the Commodore range, but to Mooney and the other beancounters, when the US is already making them it might not seem worth the effort.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 04:02 AM
The fact the US is making them probably makes it more worth the effort. If the Australian mob can go halvsies with Vauxhall europe or something they can Import them to England/Europe and Australia, and thus get a cheaper RHD Set up.

I'm Still worried that with mooney at the helm we're just going to get RWD'd Impala's in order to "Save Money" or some crap.....

fpv_gtho
09-17-2005, 04:08 AM
Well they'd be cheaper if the US made them, as theyve got a lower cost market, as represented by the original GTO's selling for the price of an SV8, and still being too expensive!!

That will probably reflect back in the quality though, which will be an increasing problem if they continue to spec them like a Calais

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 04:13 AM
That was one of the Monaro's greatest flaws; they positioned it incorrectly in the market. Instead of being a low-cost, mega fun machine, it was a High-Cost sophisticated motor, and thus got put in the same shopping list as BMW's and Merc's, where it inheirantly lost out.

Make it cheaper, with a more yoof oriented image, and it'll sell like hot cakes.

nota
09-17-2005, 04:19 AM
I'd love a Mercedes, But How the Hell do I insure One :p

Talk to my Dad, he is the man with the Wallet.......

But Thats just shocking, a Hydrogen Moped that costs LESS per Mile than an LPG Falcon?

Hint Hint :p
Can I say ooops : :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing that out mate. err what I mean was the BA cost less that that pommie pram. With that fact in mind, the pain of our Ashes loss pales a bit doesn't it? :D

Btw insurance costs are very cheap on the old bus if you want it (rare 4speed, good unit). If you don't, $100 spotters fee to you if you know someone who does .. :)

fpv_gtho
09-17-2005, 04:20 AM
They probably need to target more WRX owners like Ford are doing with the XR6T, almost. GM's V8's have tonnes of aftermarket potential, not held back by the US Corvette scene so thats not an issue. They just need to put it in reach of people, around the price of the SS/SV8 with similar or lower equipment levels.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 04:25 AM
Precisely What I was thinking, FPV.

And how many Kays does your Barge have, Nota?

nota
09-17-2005, 04:37 AM
^^ Probably about 4 million .... 'built like no other car'

It's the ex-Austrian Ambassador's unit, rego until 06/06. But this superlative device has only got 145,000kms since a full reco so she purrs like a fat cat, aye it's a wee ripper

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 04:39 AM
my Dad's Just poo-Pooed the idea, I'll just have to keep pestering him about driving HIS car until he gets me my own :p

nota
09-17-2005, 04:42 AM
Fair enuff IB4R :)

Next time you borrow Dad's car .. light 'em up good for me will ya?

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 04:46 AM
MMM, RWD Light-Reared Jeep Cherokee? I Accidently Sprayed my mates house with Gravel when I took off once...... Imagine what i could do if it Tried....:p

nota
09-17-2005, 04:56 AM
LOL

I remember when my Dad used to lend me his XT Falcon - that's 1969 XT, not BA XT!

The poor bugga was very confused as to why his rear tyres (new-fangled Dunlop Aquajet radials) wore out in 6000 miles :devil:

My god that car took a hammering

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Excellent.....:p

It's hard work doing anything interesting in my Dad's Car, save for a Take off burnout. It's an Auto For one thing, and anything remotely related to hard cornering must be quickly caught before the car rolls (You can only tell it's going to roll by the body roll, not the steering, which seems to be attached to a Marshmallow)......

It's a cool looking car, but my god it's dumb :p

fpv_gtho
09-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Excellent.....:p

It's hard work doing anything interesting in my Dad's Car, save for a Take off burnout. It's an Auto For one thing, and anything remotely related to hard cornering must be quickly caught before the car rolls (You can only tell it's going to roll by the body roll, not the steering, which seems to be attached to a Marshmallow)......

It's a cool looking car, but my god it's dumb :p

Your not game to try stall it up? :p

Take off burnouts are alot easier in manuals. When i was a bout 14 i was driving this Corona and at this set of lights i "accidently" left a bit of rubber getting off the line as it was slightly uphill..

nota
09-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Know what you mean about Cherokee steering, as I've driven one. Geez, the words that spring to mind are nautical, rubbery .. a shocker. I suppose being a 4WD brings its own possibilities, but pity that it's tippy so not able to really build the Gs up. I can still remember getting the old XT really leaning, right down onto the bump stops with those fancy 'full wheelcover' hubcaps firing off in all directions ..ah memories :D

After enduring all those endless posts from US Pontiac 'experts' re how much they hated the shitter mAnaro (even before release) I think the prudent thing to do for GM-NA purists is leave them to the delights of their FWD Pontiac automatics and elegant world-class Monte Carlos, ya reckon?

fpv_gtho
09-17-2005, 07:00 AM
it wouldnt shut them up unfortunately, as they'd start complaining again how the land of the free gets the worst cars :rolleyes:

d-quik
09-17-2005, 08:58 AM
can't...follow...arguments in...aussie forums!!!

SlickHolden
09-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I piss my pants at how GM comes running to holden for a fix all the time, When will they learn.
It's easy just take 4 of Holdens cars and sell them over in NA. Problem solved maybe:D
Holden Commodore Exec.
Holden Commodore SS.
Holden Crewman SS.
Holden Commodore Ute SS. Pick which ever spec they want they will sell;). Something they might not have had before is a cheap RWD V8 like the SS.

P.S My PC's power supply gave out last night, I'm stuffed for the next 4-7 days:(.

clutch-monkey
09-17-2005, 05:57 PM
can't...follow...arguments in...aussie forums!!!
well, we speak english, just not english as you know it.